Interest Check for something WH40K-ish(Only 3 slots left!)

Started by Urbanzorro, April 14, 2010, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opheliac

Quote from: Paladin on April 16, 2010, 09:54:54 AM
No my dear an untouchable would not. Read the Esinhorn books for more information but if a full unbound daemonhost can't psychically touch an untouchable then an alphaclas wont do anything either. Untouchables are just that. They are psychicl blanks that powers do not affect.

I've read the Ravenor and Eisenhorn books. I enjoyed them greatly. Alpha class psykers CAN blow through even Untouchables (With a bit of work). Only an Alpha class Untouchable could counter, but one has never been found. An alpha class untouchable would make entire continents psy-void, instead of just a few dozen feet. Most untouchables that have been found are either delta or gamma class. They themselves are void, and they distort the area around them for about 50 feet or so. If im not mistaken, Eisenhorn tried to use the best untouchable he had at the time (the untouchable school mistress person thing, Im blanking her name) to try to void out the command console of a Chaos Warhound titan. She failed, and is in a coma. Daemonhosts, while powerful, are nothing compared to an Alpha psyker.

And as a side note, the only tyranids that can think for themselves are Genestealers... They can talk, you know. :) Still doesn't make it a good idea to play one though. :P

Urbanzorro

The problem with playing nids as an actual PC is that they don't really have any of the motivations most people are used to playing, even in genestealers there isn't really an individuality/self preservation, at least no more than would be needed to make it sneeky/useful for its purpose to the hive mind. That having been said, in a bit I'll be releasing an update on the story (fleshed it out a bit better) as well as a bit of a statment on the direction/tone I'm hoping to capture in the story.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Urbanzorro

Ok so it occurred to me last night that I left a few things quite vague when I first stated the storyline we were going to use. With that in mind I’d like to elaborate on the following:

Focus: I’d very much like to see the focus of this role play be on the actual story/interactions/thoughts/feelings ect. of each character rather than simply becoming a ‘you line up on that side I line up on this side we talk for two posts then spend the rest of the game shooting’ type thing.  Ideally the rp would be about 85-90 percent story/interactions/planning/sneaky stuff/investigating (you know the fun stuff). And 15-10 percent actual stack um up shoot um down action.

Plot: Alright the plot is pretty simple and I think I did an ok job of conveying how it was originally envisioned but given that I’ve come to realize that a few people don’t particularly want to find themselves on either the Chaos or Imperial side (such as Orks, Genestealer cults ect.) I’m considering one other side comprising of a leader, and his/her main follower. I’d like suggestions/opinions on whether this sounds like a good idea? And as for what the side should be if so. I very much want everyone to enjoy this role play, both because that’s what role plays are for and because I want it to lay the groundwork for other WH40K rps. Also it should be said that the ‘bad guys’ aren’t launching a major offensive, they are being sneaky, they don’t have the numbers to launch a straight up war, they are hiding, biding their time, setting things up to topple the government/planet from the inside out.

Motivation: Here I’ll list what I see as the motivation for the characters that I see as being the main storyline drivers……. 1: The Inquisitor, He is out to remove whatever taint is on Miranda IV no matter the cost, he cares little for the planet or its people and is more concerned with keeping whatever is going on from spreading….. 2: Imperial Governor and his PDF Commander, they want to save their planet. They realize something is going on in the hive city but want to stop it without blowing the whole place up, as such they are a bit at odds with the Inquisitor if for no other reason than they know the Inquisition’s reputation and don’t wish to see Exterminatus enacted on their home……. 3: Chaos Leader, he is out to take Miranda IV at any cost, with an emphasis on loosing as little of his forces as possible…… 4: (Possible) Other leader, he has the same motivation as the Chaos Leader and as such is against the Chaos Leader wanting the planet for his own reasons.

Characters: While I fully realize this is WH40K and EVERYTHING is over the top I’d like to ask that we please keep our characters a bit on the lighter side. As a player of the table top game I can tell you that a Warboss, or a Chaos Lord or any other leader unit is an absolute badass if used correctly, but on the same note if you sit him somewhere without cover. Three squads of Guardsmen with a missile launcher heavy weapons team each will grease him before he can even touch them. So I guess what I’m trying to say is please don’t make them into army killers because I really don’t want to have to outright ask anyone to downsize their character.
With that in mind I’m thinking of imposing some limits on abilities/wargear, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

Conflict:  It’s going to happen and  it should be fun when it does. Ideally I’d like to see most if not all of the conflict be freeform simply because it allows for greater creativity, but when people can’t agree as to who should be the winner a system will be needed. For such occasions I’m thinking it would be best for the system to be used to determine the winner, and then have the actual action be decided freeform. Are there any objections to that?

Well that’s about it. I realize I got a bit longwinded hope everyone is still interested, will be eagerly awaiting some replies/seeing more characters.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

HairyHeretic

Many moons ago I ran a 40k sim on yahoogroups, and had someone wanting to play a Hive Tyrant.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Miles Trent

Ive been working on my character for a while now. Finally decided on using the ork character idea and I'll be done with it soon. After a bit of inspiration and research brought on by HairyHeretic, I've decided on an ork Freebooterz Kaptin.  :-) Whose side I'll be on I do not know just yet.

I think that another side would complicate things but if it helps to bring on a more interesting story, why not? The Dark Eldar could be interested in taking the planet for slaves. Necrons awakening from the depths of the planet's surface. Imperial Guard defectors could plot a hostile take over. Maybe even a discreet Blood Axez Ork invasion or Eldar incursion. For each their own, their situations would be very similar to that of the Chaos side, under manned, under powered and waiting for their time to strike.

No objections to anything else otherwise.
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

HairyHeretic

As an Ork, he's on his own side. It just depends who is paying him the most that gets him pointed in one direction or another. Til he gets bored, or a better offer :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Urbanzorro

This is very true, and in all honesty the other side was more so as to help you bring in an orky character than anything else. Does anyone have any suggestions as for limitations to characters?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

HairyHeretic

Probably best to take it on a case by case basis.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Miles Trent

Name: Kazthrull 'Gut Stabba' Gabrukk
Sex: Obviously male
Wargear: 'Eavy Armour, Krusha' Jawz, Mekboyz Kustom Eye Targetta', Cybork Implantz, Mekboyz Wrist Computa', Kommando Warpaint Camouflage
Weapons: Kustomized Big Shoota (shoulder mounted on armour, backpack ammo feed, palm operated trigger), Kustomized 'Eavy Slugga (modified stormbolter), 'Gut Stabba' Big Choppa'

Bio: Biggest, meanest and greenest of Da 'Ead Smashas, Kazthrull never saw himself as 'un-orky', even as his former clan mates accused him of such during his time with the bigger clans since he thought differently. He was a Blood Axe to begin with but being frustrated with his identity among them, he had switched over to many other clans such as the Evil Sunz, the Bad Moonz and even the Goffs over many decades and many Waaaghs in dozens of worlds. He was never satisfied with being in any of them, because most of the time he kept thinking of why the boyz fought with over which orky philosophy was best. Why not just put them all together and go across the depths of space in one massive Waaaagh? Besides, he enjoyed bashing humie skulls in more than bashing in some git who thought it was funny to punch him in the face. He had always enjoyed the squishy sound humie heads made. Sounded much better than a gretchin's too.

When he proposed this to the warboss, he was tossed out. He thought that Kazthrull was thinking 'smarter' than him and he did not want him around for the sake of his pride and standing as 'da smartest' in the clan. Kazthrull was not daunted by the exile and instead of mucking about, he brought together as many orks as he could from every clan that he could find, bothering to grab only 'da bestest and da smartest' in their specialized fields, hijacked an Imperial ship and his 'Ead Smashas were born, proclaiming himself the Kaptin. Life as a Freebooter from then on was tough, bringing him under the employ of many employers, forced to follow their orders under contract, but the fights were plentiful and he could do anything he wanted without someone else saying anything about it. Da 'Ead Smashas gained a significant amount of infamy among many factions under his leadership and they were hired for many jobs ranging between the direct to the subtle. They were also known to change sides on occasion, depending on who could provide the better fight and not caring about loyalties, politics or morals. Kazthrull had made sure that he and his boyz made no strong attachments to any side, the only trust they know being among each other.

A certain time at a certain place, Kazthrull ran into problems. A job brought him to the Miranda system to stealthily eliminate a Dark Eldar infiltration group. He led his boyz to victory over the ship to ship battle, but his own vessel was critically damaged by a last ditch attack by the Dark Elder leader. As the mekboyz onboard could not fix the damaged hull, he was forced to abandon it and dropped all the surviving orks and their equipment onto the surface of Miranda IV. Knowing that this was a humie world, he thought smart and kept his 'Ead Smashas hidden in the shadows of the undercities, until he stumbled across Varo and his Chaos followers. With the keen interest of survival and opportunity for a big fight, he struck a deal with the Chaos Lord, joining his ranks as a Lieutenant in the fight for control against the Imperium. In exchange, once the deed was done, he and his boyz would be allowed safe passage off-planet.

Fighting Style: Kazthrull is like any other ork, brutish, merciless, dedicated to the fight and lives for nothing more than the fight. When in an open combat situation, he wastes no time to let loose whatever weapons he has on him and attempt to charge straight into close combat where he can do the most damage. Although frenzied in said situation, he isnt stupid, never forgetting to assess the battlefield, employ war tactics, and command his minions. When in a sneaky combat situation, he will try his best to stay hidden and ambush his enemies like his Kommandoes, a.k.a. to him 'smashin' der 'eads in', with chopz and dakka. In the event that he knows he and his allies cant win, he will attempt to beat a hasty retreat, the common ork logic of always being able to come back for another go.

UPDATED! :D
Using a real person's picture is like stealing their soul.... Consult your local roleplay doctor before proceeding. :D
My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Urbanzorro

Looks good though I'd ask that you pick a side so that I can update the list/everyone can know what spaces are still open.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Miles Trent

I guess the only feasible side would be Chaos. An ork in an Inquisitor's retinue may be out of the question. I'll take a Chaos Leader’s Lieutenant spot please, if no one is reserving it.  :-)

My O & Os
GM One on One Thread

Urbanzorro

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Urbanzorro

Here's the list as it stands now.

Character Slots

Inquisitor: Paladin

Inquisitor’s retune #1:

Inquisitor’s retune #2:

Inquisitor’s retune #3:

Inquisitor’s retune #4:

Inquisitor’s retune #5:

Planetary Governor:

PDF Commander:

Chaos Leader: Urbanzorro

Chaos Leader’s Lieutenant#1:Opheliac

Chaos Leader’s Lieutenant#2: Miles Trent

Chaos Leader’s Lieutenant#3:

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

HairyHeretic

Didn't my Night Lord have one of those Chaos Lt slots called?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Urbanzorro

Yeah, by my count there is still one open. Unless I've missed someone else having called one? Also I prefer not to actually put someone on the list untill they've posted a character (have had people claim a spot in previous games then never actually fill it with a character. And in doing so discourage anyone who would have filled said slot). Hope that isn't an issue with anyone?

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

HairyHeretic

Well, if someone else does desperately want the slot before I write anything up, let them have it. I can find something else to cause mischief with easily enough :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Urbanzorro

Fair enough though at this point it dosn't seem that way

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Opheliac

I notice that everyone who seems really interested in this game all want to play evil characters. :P I feel sorry for Paladin, all by his onesies. XD  >:)

CmdrRenegade

Paladin is not alone!

Name: Theophilus "Theo" Rourke
Status: Former Administratum Adept in the Service of the Inquisition
Gear: Common Green Robes, Backpack, Bio-sample kit, medical kit, Auto-quill, Data tablet, Tome, Mesh Armor
Weapons: Compact Plasma Pistol, Compact Auto Pistol, Compact Las Pistol
Biography: Theophilus Rourke believed he was destined to wile his years away inside dusty Administratum archives, as so many other Adepts had in the past.  This brought about that most human of emotional states: boredom.  As he filed away records and reports that would never be read, he would take a few minutes to read some of the random tomes he could find: a book of medicae knowledge here, a log of a Rogue Trader's knowledge there. 

Over the years, he continued to absorb this knowledge.  His knowledge grew to a point where he could instantly and correctly recall the answers to all sorts of questions from history to philosophy to science.  This caught the attention of the Inquisition, who wondered what possible proscribed information he might have.  Although he had read nothing forbidden, his intellect and investigative research ability were deemed to be very useful and thus he was "volunteered" for the Inquisition. 

Although he does not care for how he came to the Inquistion, he does enjoy the challenge.  Although a decent shot with his pistols, he prefers to leave the combat to those more predisposed to it.  His true weapons are his mind and his tongue.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Paladin

Quote from: Opheliac on April 16, 2010, 07:59:48 PM
I notice that everyone who seems really interested in this game all want to play evil characters. :P I feel sorry for Paladin, all by his onesies. XD  >:)

Yea kinda sucks ta be me. Maybe I should play two characters. A single Grey Knight could stand up to the chaos guys no problem since Chaos IS their specailty to deal with.

Hey Renegade, I thought you were playin a Marine.

Kiric Rand

are you guys still taking characters, if so let me know. I've been a huge 40k fan since i started playing it about 8 years ago.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

DeviantMunster

I'll re-post my interest! Not entirely sure about the plot, but I think it'll nevertheless be fun~ *ponders* Hmm... Alpha, Delta, Gamma... I'm assuming those are present in Codexes or books I simply don't have. Anyway! I'll be making an Imperial Psyker, most likely, and will have something up in... awhile! Or a bit. Depends how quickly I can think something up.

Paladin

Cardwolf

Ahh...I'd be cool with this...I just started playing table top WH40k.  Only problem is Idon't know how well I'd fit here as I don't know much about the series

Kiric Rand

if you still need your untouchable, i can play that role nicely

or i thought about playing as a assult seargent from the Black Dragons Legion
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15