Concealed Carry

Started by adeleturner, November 07, 2011, 03:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adeleturner

I'm taking my concealed carry class this weekend and my teacher-to-be emailed this little video to me (strong language):

Dash Cam: Canton PD "Notification" Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk / Threatens

Anyway, most states that allow concealed carry have laws requiring carriers to "promptly" identify themselves as such and let it be known that they are armed when approached by an officer.  Some people have been arrested for waiting 40 seconds before letting the officer know.

From what I understand, the officer was originally talking to the woman in the man's vehicle.  The man, who seems a little meek, kept waving his concealed carry license during the entire ordeal trying to catch the officer's attention.  Finally, when the officer addressed him, he identified himself.

What follows borders on threat of lethal force.

Anyway I didn't just start this thread to talk about this video but to talk about all issues surrounding concealed carry, and even other firearms issues: assault weapons bans, handgun bans, concealed carry on campus, federal registration, etc.

If you would like to discuss it, I'd be more than happy to, as I'm sure would any other firearm owners on this site.  So, maybe I should have titled this, "Ask a 'Gun Nut'."

Erotisch

Yes, I am a gun owner and I carry conceal.ed as well.

The video was constantly buffering for me. Very irritating. But I got the general idea. This is crazy. I'm glad he got suspended but he should have been fired. The language itself is reason for dismissal.

Oniya

(A tip on buffering - hit pause as soon as it starts doing that and go do something else while it finishes loading.  Then restart the video.)

I'm not a gun owner - I know my hand-eye coordination and distance vision would make firing a gun a Problem.  I'm not anti-gun either, though, and I like the fact that police have dash-cams to help with things like this.  That said, I think it would probably be a good idea for CCW courses to include role-play training on how to deal with the 'nice officer that just pulled you over.'  A meek 'waving the license around' is no substitute for 'Officer, I'm supposed to tell you that I have a concealed carry permit.  My gun is ____, and my hands are on the dashboard.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Martee

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2011, 04:46:39 PM
'Officer, I'm supposed to tell you that I have a concealed carry permit.  My gun is ____, and my hands are on the dashboard.'

Save the part about the dashboard, that is nearly word-for-word what my husband was told to say when getting his carry permit, even if he didn't have a weapon on him. Letting law enforcement know you may potentially have a weapon on you- even if it is perfectly legal- is just part of being a responsible carrier.

Although, as has been mentioned already- that officer was way out of line.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

adeleturner

Here in Texas, it is legal to carry in your vehicle even without a permit.  I've done so ever since I was working as a real estate agent.  The funny thing is--at least, it was this way until recently--you didn't have to let an officer know there was a gun in the car.  You only had to let them know you had one if you had a concealed carry permit.

Of course, it is always a good idea to let them know, regardless, and obviously the guy was not fulfilling his responsibility to notify the officer promptly, even if the officer was making things difficult.

I don't know if all CCW classes include a roleplay about being pulled over, but the one I am taking definitely does.  I already have practice, though.  I've been pulled over before, and I purposefully keep my weapon in a place separate from my insurance information.

A couple of times they asked to hold on to the weapon while they were speaking with me, but most of the time they just shrugged it off, told me not to open the glove box that it was in, and didn't give it a second thought beyond that.  Wow, I just realize how bad that sounds.  Yes, I get pulled over a lot.  Cops around here pull you over for small infractions and tend to let you go with a warning as soon as they see you are sober and aren't a student.  They really can't stand the students.

Oniya

I threw in the bit about the dashboard because I've seen far too many 'bad cop' or 'bad motorist' videos where a hand or hands isn't shown, and someone ends up kissing pavement.  The few times that my husband has been pulled over, he makes a point of keeping his hands visible at all times.  It only makes sense to me to announce where the gun is and that my hands are - at the very least - nowhere near it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

I have a permit and I carry when I'm driving.  I've been stopped by police a couple times and before they reach my door I have my license, registration, insurance ID and carry permit in my hand and my hands on the top of the steering wheel with the window already down.  The permit is the item on top when I hand the cards to the officer.

They always ask where it's at and I tell them in my lap.

We don't require notification in my state but I do it anyway. 

Martee

My father always said the scariest part of any traffic stop is that moment when he'd come up alongside the car and couldn't see the driver's hands.

Leaving your hands clearly visible to the approaching officer(s) makes for a much more relaxed traffic stop.

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

Oniya

Yup.  This is why Mr. Oniya's traffic stops have probably gone as smoothly as they have.  ;D

Erotisch

One thing that scares me is that if I get pulled over again, I will have to remember to mention I have a concealed carry card and a weapon in the vehicle. This was not a problem for me 2 years ago when I got my first speeding ticket. When the cop came to the window for my info, I was so nervous that I was shaking and could hardly get my wallet open to give him my license. When he asked for my registration, I handed him my insurance card. So I really don't know if I would remember to say something, despite having gone through the class. I'm almost never in trouble, so when I do get in trouble, it bothers me really badly.

Oniya, married to a man in uniform? Nice!  ;D

Oniya

No, no - my husband just knows how to make the nice policeman stay nice when he gets stopped.  :D  It's partly because I developed a minor addiction to court channels and see all the wrong ways people handle being stopped.

Erotisch

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2011, 10:36:50 PM
No, no - my husband just knows how to make the nice policeman stay nice when he gets stopped.  :D  It's partly because I developed a minor addiction to court channels and see all the wrong ways people handle being stopped.

Oh. Hahaha! That was a minor misread on my part.    :-X

Adele, how long does it take for you to receive your card after you take the class where you are at? Here it takes about 3 weeks.

RubySlippers

I have a 12-gauge pump action shotgun for home defense, first just loading it with the classic loud sliding noise will cause a criminal to seriously think about breaking in (it worked once the man was breaking in heard that and ran for it). In Florida there is the stand your ground law, I'm disabled so am assumed to need extraordinary force over the attacker so once they are in my place - BAM!

On the street I wish Open Carry a secured legally sized knife and my father taught me how to use it but would prefer an open carry pistol, but I will not sit there a victim without putting up a fight. I feel all law-abiding citizens over the age of eighteen should be allowed a gun openly in a secure holster if they wish to in all public places. And second be trained to properly use it if they carry one.

The authorities should never fear a law-abiding citizen its the criminals that are the issue and they don't care about the laws.

Oniya

The problem is that the criminals don't wear signs to identify themselves.  Until they start doing that, cops have every right to worry when they approach any situation where there might be a gun - if only for the sake of coming home to their own families at the end of their shift.

RubySlippers

Yes but then I think about all the high profile crimes like Columbine where if every teacher had a gun and some others who were responsible adults they might have stopped the massacre early, who knows but I would feel better packing openly than not at all.

That said I can carry a knife openly and can use that, which might be better than requires training to use properly over a gun.

There are states with Open Carry without a permit in place anyone study what the crime rates by population are there in comparison to restrictive states?

meikle

I'm totally happy to live in a world where "just in case you have to kill a child" is not an acceptable reason for teachers to carry guns around.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Pumpkin Seeds

You won't find any conclusive evidence on the subject.  The National Research Council ruled that there is not enough evidence to rule on the matter of concealed weapons.  That being said I doubt there would be enough evidence to rule on open carry. 

Beguile's Mistress

The only person I trust with a gun is me.  Even if I know you personally I still have reservations.  I train twice a month in self defense and defensive weapons use. 

Always remember that when you carry a weapon it can be used on you as well.  A criminal is already in the mindset of taking action against you and is prepared to face a loaded weapon pointed at them.  I know what to do in theory if accosted and I've trained with police officer friends but the adrenelin punch of an actual confrontation is another thing entirely and I don't know how I'll react in that situation.

Unless you are trained properly to use a weapon you shouldn't be carrying one, concealed or otherwise.  Unless you are prepared to kill someone you should never pull your weapon on another human being.  Once you take a life you can't give it back.

Callie Del Noire

Don't quite get who the video is for defending. The guy with the permit should have been more assertive but the cop was more than a little abusive.

Oniya

I think the video was cautionary for both - the cop ended up getting suspended for excessive force, but the guy with the CCW wasn't doing himself any favors.

Torch

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 08, 2011, 10:16:13 AM
Always remember that when you carry a weapon it can be used on you as well. 

Exactly the reason why I will never allow a gun in my home.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Silverfyre

Allowing anyone over the age of eighteen to openly carry a weapon on them at any time in public is just inviting more trouble than it is worth.  Like Oniya said, criminals don't exactly identify themselves immediately.  And as an educator, I hardly think allowing teachers to carry firearms on campus is going to prevent more trouble than it would potentially cause.  The number of school shootings in the last ten years is not a valid reason to give more guns out to people who might a) be tempted to use them and thus creating more incidents or b) have them taken from them and used against them.  The sort of mentality that everyone should walk around armed is just frightening.  ~Shudders~

Anyways, I am a gun owner and I do possess a conceal and carry permit.  I do not carry most of the time but do have several firearms in my possession at home, loaded but kept out of sight.  I do not have children and the wife knows where they are at all times and while she does not care for them, she knows I have been trained professionally to use them (hunting classes, self defense classes, military training, Dad is an Army rangemaster...) and would never do so in a foolish manner. They are for home defense and the defense of my family, as well as going out to the range and enjoying firing off a few rounds. We have been broken into a few times and almost subject to a home invasion.  I vowed never to be defenseless again after that.

If you are properly trained and prepared to use the weapon, then there is nothing wrong with owning it.  Just do so responsibly and within the boundaries of the law.  And do so for a reason, in my opinion.  Don't just do it for the sake of carrying one.  Be prepared to take a life if you do carry one, since that is what guns are all about at the most basic level.

adeleturner

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on November 08, 2011, 10:16:13 AMAlways remember that when you carry a weapon it can be used on you as well.  A criminal is already in the mindset of taking action against you and is prepared to face a loaded weapon pointed at them.
*Some* (I imagine a tiny minority) of criminals are prepared to face a loaded weapon pointed at them.  My father has had to draw a weapon in self defense once, and I've had to draw a weapon in a home defense situation once.  In neither of those cases was the criminal prepared to face a loaded weapon pointed at them.

I understand the possibility, but I look at it this way: there is a small chance I'll ever face a situation where I have to draw a concealed weapon against a criminal.  Within that small chance is a smaller chance that the criminal will be undeterred by the presence of a firearm.  Within that small chance there is a smaller chance that the firearm somehow gives me no advantage in the situation.  Within that small chance there is a smaller chance that he will kill me with my own firearm, but would have let me live if I had not had a firearm.

No matter how unlikely it may be that I need to defend myself with a firearm (again) in my home or in the street, it is still a far more likely scenario than one in which I am safer without my firearm.

Once a month, I go out shooting with my .357.  Twice a week I practice handgun fundamentals with my .22.  I do draw and dry-fire (snap caps) exercises practically every day.  I'm a fairly good shot, at least at the ranges that a self-defense situation would most likely occur in.

I realize that shooting in a high-stress situation is very different, but my firearm is still a greater danger to someone that would threaten me than it is to myself.

elone

In Virginia, where I live, open carry law is in effect and I can say that I have never seen anyone carrying. I have been around firearms all my life, both for hunting and target shooting. Still, carrying a firearm would make me nervous.

In the military, I was a Military Police Investigator and was plainclothes. It was optional for us in my job as to carry a weapon or not. I chose not to except on rare occasions. I was always self conscious about carrying a gun under my coat in a shoulder holster. That probably sounds strange since I was a cop, I guess if I carried every day I would have gotten used to it. In uniform, I carried a .45 in a shoulder holster visibly. You were not allowed a .45 concealed. We had .38 for that.

I can understand the cop in the video having a fit, it is a dangerous world and walking up to a car at night is nerve racking because you never know what to expect. The problem was, he never gave the driver an opportunity to speak, and then had a meltdown.  He is obviously wired a bit to tight to be a law enforcement officer. Good thing they suspended him. I noticed his partner managed to keep his cool. Also, the guy in the car was obviously intimidated by the cop which didn't help the situation.

As far as getting stopped, ALWAYS keep your hands visible, either on the wheel or out the window resting on the door. Everyone will stay safer that way, and believe me, the officers will appreciate it, although I doubt they will say so.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

meikle

It was pretty recently "discovered" that Wisconsin has been an Open Carry state all this time and apparently nobody was aware of it.  Having a gun in a car where you can reach it is considered concealed carry and isn't allowed, though, even if it's locked up.

This became a big deal a few years ago, when I was still going to school in Milwaukee.  We got an exciting speech from a police cadet about how 'even though it's legal, it's impossible to carry a gun without causing a disturbance so don't do it unless you want to go to jail.'
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A