To The Stars And Beyond (Science Fiction Colonization Interest Check)

Started by Norsegod1839, January 13, 2018, 03:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

I meant the native race that's predicted to reside in the new Galaxy. With you being stranded, maybe you've encountered them firsthand? Or just observed from afar?

He did say there were multiple planets that we have to scout and decide if they are viable for the colonist to settle on.

And of course, thanks to randomness and probability, we'll probably not encounter YC until later.

Eliza

Quote from: TerribleTira on January 17, 2018, 03:06:15 AM
worst case scenario, if my inclusion of planet history doesn't jive well with what everyone else wants, I can simply re-write it a bit. no bigee

This is a great quote, remember?

Try not to post after your own posts. If you can, update it with "EDIT: Put here what you forgot to include." It needlessly bumps this thread. I'm not trying to get the mods chasing after EL for violating the bumping policy.

EDIT: Red letters above!

Norsegod1839

I'll probably create the native race myself unless someone else jumps on or joins that is interested in doing that!

Great character sheet to Tira!

Norsegod1839

And yeah just to kind of cover what you both were saying

1. There are four planets that the Andromeda Galaxy looks to be able to host humanity one of them is a "golden eden" world and the other three have various levels of vailability

2. Whichever planet Tira is on will be one of the first we visit so we can get her in and involved

3. Depending on the level of capabilities the alien race has (I think they will be at least able to travel in space) Tira you might not have met them yet

4. Like I posted above I can create the native alien race if need be HOWEVER if someone wants to do that or if you guys want to help me with that just let me know!

Eliza

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on January 17, 2018, 10:08:37 AM
3. Depending on the level of capabilities the alien race has (I think they will be at least able to travel in space) Tira you might not have met them yet

Okay, one race is space-faring. Maybe humanoid in nature? If we want more action, they can be carnivorous or protein-preferred omnivores? More gentle interaction, make them herbivores who abhor violence. Like a Salarian. They are nature-loving like the Navi, but can manufacture starships. World building, peoples?

Of course the first obstacle would be the language barrier. Being this millions of lightyears from home, these races have their own language and either them or us have to learn to communicate (they learn galactic basic or we learn their language(s)).

Quote from: TerribleTira on January 17, 2018, 11:38:22 AM
the "natives" i described in MCs history are a bit more tribal... but that's not to say that there is or isn't another more advanced race somewhere on planet.

So more than one race, but the one Tira encounters on her planet isn't at the top of the food chain, technologically speaking. And they prefer ranged attacks... agoraphobic? What primitive race wouldn't be?

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Eliza on January 17, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
Okay, one race is space-faring. Maybe humanoid in nature? If we want more action, they can be carnivorous or protein-preferred omnivores? More gentle interaction, make them herbivores who abhor violence. Like a Salarian. They are nature-loving like the Navi, but can manufacture starships. World building, peoples?

Of course the first obstacle would be the language barrier. Being this millions of lightyears from home, these races have their own language and either them or us have to learn to communicate (they learn galactic basic or we learn their language(s)).

So more than one race, but the one Tira encounters on her planet isn't at the top of the food chain, technologically speaking. And they prefer ranged attacks... agoraphobic? What primitive race wouldn't be?

I would vote for more of a Salarian type! Space faring nature loving not some one who is going to pick a fight with humans! I want the push to be more for diplomacy or maybe them bonding over a common threat that maybe exists on the planet!

And yeah Language barrier! Is going to be a huge thing!

Eliza

Just found this: (visuals for inspiration purposes)

Salarian Hulk!

Ambidextrous Hanar!

Again, visuals for inspiration. Maybe we can bounce ideas from here.

Norsegod1839

I could see getting a salarian type race or even like the Asari who can potentially be mates to the humans as their biologies allow.

Eliza

How about male Asari?

Maybe in this galaxy, we only see the female Asari while the male counterparts are as elusive as the passing years. But they say they are there. Watching. Unseen monarch?

Norsegod1839

I could see a male race like Asari sure! But not actually being asari since this is all mostly original

Eliza

Then let's be original.

On the safe side, we'll go with a race similar to Humans. So Humanoid physical structure.

Skin tone? Scale tone if you're going reptilian or avian (like the drell and turians respectively)? Depends on the weather and what sun/solar radiation they get?

Would these planets have sufficient magnetic fields to block the lethal radiation from their host stars?

Then take into effect their body structure or how hardy they are. High gravity planets have races acclimatized to comfortably survive with sheer forces pulling them down, therefore, high gravity brings denser physiques. Low-gravity would bring in back Salarians, since they are not as bulky as other races, like the Krogan.

Maybe take the angara in consideration, since they all had presences on all the planets in Andromeda. Just take off any unnecessary characteristics in favor for some originality.

Haibane

That character was a shock. Aren't all the player characters human?

Norsegod1839

We're going to be going to a whole other galaxy so with earth like worlds! So there would be an alien species of some kind.

Haibane

I apologise, I must have misunderstood. I thought the game was about the human colonists as players with any alien flora and fauna being played by the GM. If you go with that game structure you have a specific mode of game which is colonist focussed. If you give players alien roles then that at once puts "screen time" on an equal basis between colonists and aliens and so you switch gears and have an RP that runs in a very different mode with quite different methods and so on.

Also discussion of races by name is making me feel uncomfortable since I just don't play SF games or watch SF TV, so I feel a bit out of my depth already. If you are making an original world then maybe don't make reference to any canon species from TV or games because some players could be clueless about what you're discussing.

I have a feeling I may be in the wrong game.

Norsegod1839

Hmmmmmm you might be? I would love to have you but yeah I am definitely interested in their being a alien species already on one of the planets.

The idea for me is to have diplomacy instead of say the two races waring together. Instead of them meeting and going to war with one another its more about them finding common ground and then going from there. So there will be more than alien flora and Fauna. There will be at least one alien race that is inhabiting one world that our colonist will have to break common ground with and be diplomatic with.

The idea again is for it to be focused on the human colonist as they try to make it in this completely alien solar system. Given that there are at least three habitable worlds in the Andromeda system life would be on one of them. If you're worried about them being a race from a canon or something though they will be entirely original Eliza and I were just talking about concept art of races and what not.

I hope I alluded some of the worry but I will say that I do plan on their being a original alien species on at least one of the planets for our colonist and settlers to have to be diplomatic and work with.

Haibane

I am okay with an alien species, but I got the impression this would be GM controlled with the players all colonists. As my previous post outlined, the two structures generate two very different types of games. With just a colonist player group its possible to indulge much more with the colonists relationships and their activities and their story as they go about the recon of the planet; but bring in alien players and instantly they need to post and the structure no longer becomes one of a human colonist team vs an unknown world but two groups opposite each other.

It changes the shape, style and pacing of the game entirely.

Maybe I'm not being clear. Imagine a GM running a D&D game with 5 players who are all an adventurer party. You get a certain type of game. Now imagine that same GM running a game with 5 adventurer party players and 5 opposing alien players and how completely different the game becomes, because all players deserve equal 'screen' time.

Norsegod1839

We have two ranger characters? Or at least on the ranger survey team? So what do you mean by colonist?

I'll be the one directing the colonist efforts and expansion as the "GM" head of the ranger cop. The initial act will be the ranger survey team going to the most habitual planets and assessing them for viability and if they can sustain a colonist base.

During those assessment and studied they will run into Tira character and the alien species that inhabit this solar system. From there we will move into establishing a colony on the most ideal planets while also dealing with the alien species and the diplomacy part.

Haibane

Colonists = people on the Ark ship.

The Ark is a settlement voyage. Humans looking for a new home. The moment an intelligent species is encountered the rangers would be sidelined completely and very senior colonists, the leaders of the voyage, would be woken from hypersleep to handle the contact because encountering intelligent life forms on a world makes a very different colonisation task than discovering a primitive world devoid of intelligent life.

I think I'll bow out after all, it all seems a bit disjointed and ill thought-out.

Eliza

............. umm.

I think this argument is between the disbelief of other intelligent life existing in a faraway galaxy versus the chance that there could be one.

The compromise: Why not a bit of randomness? We're writers with broad imaginations!

Norsegod1839

The Ranger corp the one dedicated to surveying the planet and determining their viability would be the one to handle first contact scenarios....

Because that is what they are trained for. To determine if the planets can sustain life and deal with whatever is on them. Including a alien species. They would be the first to meet any aliens because they would be the first on the planets.

The colonist leaders would already be unthawed because they have the hard job of getting everything ready for when the rangers give the go ahead to come to the planet. They are the leaders of the voyage sure but in the sense the rangers are as well. Its a council situation every branch is represented and every sector has its say.

I can understand bowing out though and wish you the best of luck!

Norsegod1839

While it's definitely not dead in the water

I feel we need more players at least another male to round out the group!

Worst comes to worst though is that I start us off and play multiple males and we garner interest that way to!

Ideally I'd love to have more players both boys and girls

Green Goo Theory

Coming soon...

Norsegod1839