Approving new members

Started by darkvamplips, June 09, 2009, 03:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkvamplips

I just wanted to put my two cents in. I saw a girl that made a application thread and it took 2 days for her approval which is fine. But she only made two posts in her application. I thought the approval process was how much she contributed to her thread she made. Her questions she got were not even all answered. I know because I wrote her a question and did not get a reply from it. I read at the bottom of her thread and it said she was approved. Shouldn't they post more then two posts and wait a little while before getting an approval?
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

Trieste

We would be happy to consider feedback, if you'd like to give it.

Currently, all you are doing is describing someone's intro thread. :) If you really are curious about the answer to your question, you could always PM the new person, welcome them, and ask them to answer.

darkvamplips

Well it's not just because of the question not being answered. I think an approval process should be more then just seeing 2 posts from that person.
He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:

Trieste

It really depends on the posts.

The goal of the approval process is to screen for relative maturity, age, ability to read and follow the rules... all with some reasonable amount of alacrity. It is not perfect, otherwise you would never see anyone castrated... :)

Again, if you have suggestions on how to improve the Mentor program, please feel free to give them. I know you've volunteered to become a Mentor, so it may simply be a matter of waiting your turn to improve the system.

darkvamplips

OK well I understand that you need to go through a process but approval takes over 24. With 24 being the shortest amount of time. I am just suggesting that the applicants should post a few more posts then 2 during this time.

My request thread:

Trieste

There are days that I can barely manage a post in my A&A going "glurgle sigh ugh"... there are other days that I am so busy that I cannot even log in to Elliquiy (and have lately been that busy). The staff have always promoted a culture of real-life-comes-first.

darkvamplips

Well thank you for hearing me out Trieste. It was just a suggestion. I hope soon you can come back to us.

My request thread:

Duncan

2 cents in.

I just wanted to add I can't see it taking that long I mean when I RPed at other sites it was an instint approval type of thing.

darkvamplips

Well it depends on how often the person replies in their thread. Also it depends on if the people who approve them are busy and what not.

My request thread:

Caeli

The thing is, being "social" is not a requirement for joining Elliquiy. Not everybody is as comfortable being cheerful and excited in their introduction threads, where they are essentially being judged for approval. And some people don't need lots of posts for the approval team to believe that they will make a good fit in Elliquiy.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

jouzinka

Quote from: Duncan on June 09, 2009, 06:25:01 AM
I just wanted to add I can't see it taking that long I mean when I RPed at other sites it was an instint approval type of thing.

Well, the approval process takes place primarily to screen out the confined and confused, which is a good thing, if you ask me, though I agree with 'roses, that 24h is a good deal, somewhere there used to be a line about "we expect you to be able to hold a conversation." An intro post and one answer hardly passes as a conversation, IMHO.

I have seen people approved only after posting the questionnaire and I was asking myself what does that tell about the (im)maturity of the poster? Nothing, I guess. It only tells something about the ability to comprehend a written text and web-site orientation sense, which, to be blunt, some applicants still obviously lack, since there still are popping up new intros without the questionnaire filled in.

But well... I'm not the Deities and I trust them to do the job, though I agree with silverroses that a rule about 24h before approval AND a certain amount of posts would give a better insight.

My two cents. ;D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

darkvamplips

Thanks for posting your two cents. I agree with you to.

My request thread:

Oniya

I have heard that other interactions are also considered, including SB and IRC interaction.  Since those convos aren't stored where non-staff can see them, it's entirely possible that a given person might be very active in one of these areas, even if their intro thread is somewhat lacking.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Greenthorn

I think some changes went into the approval process because of the fact that people who were here to -just- RP were leaving because of having to wait.  A lot of those who are serious RPers become disinterested when having to chit chat in their threads.

Not sure why anyone would have issues with approval considering that if there's problems with members it gets dealt with immediately.  We don't have trolls and flamewars and all that other junk that happens on other sites.  Elliquiy still remains more of an elite RP site in the genre!

The maturity here still has the bar raised for other supposed adult RP sites.

*shrugs*

My advice is that if you're unhappy about the approval process then go volunteer to be a mentor.  They have a say on who gets let in  ;)

Caeli

And along those lines... if you have input or feedback about a member, you are always welcome to PM a siren or a deity with your comments or opinions. You don't need to be a mentor to tell us how you feel about applicants.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

jouzinka

Somehow I didn't get the impression that this thread was about a certain member, rather than the process in general.  ::)

Caeli

Quote from: jouzinka on June 09, 2009, 08:43:20 AM
Somehow I didn't get the impression that this thread was about a certain member, rather than the process in general.  ::)

My comment was made about the process in general. If you have input about any applicants, staff is always willing to hear it.

But I do have to re-iterate: not all people need to post a dozen or more times to show that they're mature. Not all people necessarily want to engage in 'needless' or 'trivial' chatter in order to join Elliquiy. For the most part, applicants don't mind, but it's not fair to those who aren't social by nature that we judge them based on how quickly and how many silly questions they respond to, or how nicely they make conversation.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Bliss

The chatter - the questions and writings prompts - are in fact something that is optional for applicants now. Often, while it helps to have such additional input for consideration of an applicant, we don't really need it. When we do, though, we make a point of drawing it out.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

jouzinka

Kurzyk

Quote from: jouzinka on June 09, 2009, 07:13:16 AM
I have seen people approved only after posting the questionnaire and I was asking myself what does that tell about the (im)maturity of the poster? Nothing, I guess. It only tells something about the ability to comprehend a written text and web-site orientation sense, which, to be blunt, some applicants still obviously lack, since there still are popping up new intros without the questionnaire filled in.

I disagree. Maturity can be determined by the questionnaire and often is.

Only the questionnaire is required yes, but if in the responses there are any questions or concerns regarding maturity, further questions are asked to get a sense of the individual.

Also if questions are missed the staff ask them for clarification. It's a good process that is working pretty well, considering the maturity level of the community compared to other erotic RP sites.

jouzinka

No one said it wasn't working well. We just added our two cents as in how to make the process even better in our opinion.

Anyway, I don't see how can maturity be determined by a flat Q&A. More wordly answers and elaborating on the questions there is something different, but how many of intros are that way?

Anyway, I don't want to argue - rested my case - just thought it would be polite to answer. :-)

Kurzyk

I understand and it's a good two cents! :)

It's not my intent to argue as well. I was just clarifying that the questionnaire can express maturity and isn't just an ability to respond to questions.

The questions were specifically created to give the staff an idea of a persons maturity without having to spend pages of questions/responses for those that didn't want them. In the older system this was the case, and it was often tedious for applicants that only wanted to come and roleplay, without having hundreds of questions to answer first.

It's a good point though, as the ability to understand a person's maturity from limited responses is tricky and often not enough. But as I said if there are any questions about maturity, the staff usually ask more questions or wait to see if the candidate posts more before making a decision.

darkvamplips

Wow I go away for a few hours and see that there has been a lot of posts here. No this was actually about a person that I saw. Not just suggesting something.

My request thread:

Bliss

Well, the case of that particular person was likely covered by the checks and circumstances mentioned above in the thread.

As Caeli said, as always, if you feel that you have something to add in favor or against an applicant's approval, please contact a member of staff.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3