Sadism and Philosophy [EX]

Started by CassandraNova, October 30, 2008, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CassandraNova

All right, I had an idea that I'm looking to flesh out that I'll just give a "bare bones" treatment to here.  On my lunch break the other day, I picked up a mass market D&D novel, and read a half dozen chapters or so in which the antagonist was a cleric of the goddess Loviatar, Maiden of Pain and goddess of hot, slutty dominatrixes, or something.

So I started thinking about what kind of weird religious philosophy would be involved in worshiping Loviatar, and what kind of indoctrination and training her priests would get.  Needless to say, given the nature of my imagination, it turned hot.  So I have this game I'd like to play out:

Faith in Suffering
My character wishes to become a priestess of Loviatar, and has sought out a senior faithful of the goddess to train her up.  She must endure a prolonged period learning the intimacies of enduring and inflicting pain at the hands of her sadistic teacher, who imparts deep lessons in the faith alongside his torments.

Pretty simple on the surface of things, but I'm sure we can build from there.

Aiden

This idea appeals to me, I would have to bullshit (*cough* creatively construct *cough*) a lot of the Philosophy and find a way to link the pain to faith. If you are open minded on the teachings I would like to write this with you.

I figure you, a young inspiring priestess watches the daily rituals of a devoted cleric or paladin (me), follow the ritual. His faith so strong the goddess blesses his body to full health as he draws himself to death even in the most basic of prayers. Maybe start there as she desires the same bond to Loviatar that he has.

I am not a hardcore DnD fan, I have played but I can easily look up more information on this religion/faith and integrate it well with the story.
(I'll be gone after Friday, most of the weekend, I'll check back with you after I return.  :) )

Jeramiahh

Curiously, you're not alone in this idea; Kongming and I have been running a game for over a year and a half, now, following a similar premise; she's already a priestess, and has taken on an apprentice, who's grown considerably, in their time together.

If you care to read it, it can be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9543.0

Heck, I might even be tempted to run another game, int he same setting. *grin*
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

CassandraNova

Aiden -- I'm not a D&D player myself, and to some extent it works out well that you're not either, as I'm not looking especially to take advantage of the rules and structure of the formal game setting, just use elements of it to spice up a roleplaying.  I'd be perfectly willing to discuss the generalities you see as far as character and setting; I left my first post vague enough because I'd want to custom craft the character to best suite with her mentor and the preferences of the player I could get to sit opposite me.

Jeremiahh -- Delightful!  I might even have skimmed over that game as I was looking at boards, but I must confess that I had not read it until you shared the link with me.  If you would like to talk about opening up a similarly structured story (ie, wouldn't be bored with it), I'd be interested in what you would like to see in the new game.

Aiden

Since we are online at the same time I'll shoot you a PM so we can discuss a few things.

Jeramiahh

*laugh* Bored? Considering I'm running a series of games now which are all variants on the same basic theme, and it has 16 different games going, boredom from sameness doesn't even factor in. =P It would be quite easy to expand the established setting to include a new acolyte in the church, and would give me a bit of experience fleshing the game out for both of you.

Go ahead and drop me a PM, if you want to discuss more.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.