News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matttheman89

FMA: Brotherhood is much better than the original FMA anime (in my opinion). For the reasons that ClockworkSongbird mentions, and for the fact that it follows the actual story from the manga all the way through instead of diverging halfway through. The ending for the original anime is just so dreary and depressing, and that follow-up movie they made afterwards does little to help. With Brotherhood out there, there's really no point in watching it anymore.

DominantPoet

Right now I'm watching - Fairy Tail (on something like 130 or what not in the first round of the anime), Gakusen Toshi Asterisk, Dragon Ball Super, and Seraph of the End S2.

One of my all time favorites is Guyver (both the OVA and the newer iteration from a few years back, despite the questionable animation), Green Green because it's freaking hilarious and sexy, Karas, and have thoroughly enjoyed the three Evangelion redo movies. They need to get on that fourth one already, they're really dragging their feet on it.

I just recently finished up Death Parade, Blood-C (so awesome those last few eppys), One Punch Man which there needs to be more of in the future, and Wizard Barristers.

Assassini

Was not aware there was a thread dedicated to anime. I'm not MASSIVELY into anime, but having watched a few now I think I'll try and keep tabs here!

Quote from: Matttheman89 on December 14, 2015, 02:30:14 PM
FMA: Brotherhood is much better than the original FMA anime (in my opinion). For the reasons that ClockworkSongbird mentions, and for the fact that it follows the actual story from the manga all the way through instead of diverging halfway through. The ending for the original anime is just so dreary and depressing, and that follow-up movie they made afterwards does little to help. With Brotherhood out there, there's really no point in watching it anymore.

The original FMA was actually one of the first animes I watched all the way through and I have to agree, that Brotherhood is simply better in every way. A lot less depressing and a lot more satisfying. I'll admit I'm not too bothered about any divergence from the mango (because I've never really had any interest in that) but the story of the manga (and thus Brotherhood) is quite simply the better story. So, while I quite liked FMA, I would say that Brotherhood is easily one of the best animes I've ever watched, which is quite a big difference.

It is worth mentioning though, for anyone who has seen the original FMA but not Brotherhood (like I did at first), the first dozen episodes or so of Brotherhood are extremely similar to episodes of FMA, so you won't be seeing anything really new. And that really dissuaded me from watching Brotherhood at first. It took a second try to actually get into it.

OT: Having only seen maybe a half-dozen animes I had been looking for a new one to watch recently and only last week I found a nice list of "gateway animes" to watch and one of the ones it suggested was Hajime No Ippo: The Fighting. It's an anime centred around boxing, which initially sounds a little boring, but its honestly really rather entertaining. Some of the episodes do get a tad repetitive and predictable, especially as certain ones do tend to follow a specific pattern, but its still good enough that I'm on about episode 50 of ~70 after only a week.

ALSO, for anyone who enjoys anime but has been living under a rock for the past months. If you have not tried One Punch Man, then you absolutely must. It is quite literally the only anime to ever make me actually laugh (prior to it I've never really got Japanese humour) and is absolutely fantastic.

Drake Valentine

Supposedly next season of Attack on Titan is coming out later next year and few other 'kinda' old animes getting additional season; Assassination Classroom(in this following season,) Gate(in this following season,)  Stein's Gate, to name a few. There was another one, can't remember the name, but it was that action/adventure anime involving the '7 Deadly Sins' not sure of its actual title, but it is suppose to get another season later in year as well. Also, I think Terraformers(maybe) was suppose to be getting something; assuming they don't god awful censor it with black circles.

Questionable coming soon ones that caught my eye: Schwarzesmarken - Looks like some form of mecha anime and Ajin - not really sure, given the picture they got for it. Seems psychological horror, but again, that is just by visual art.

I dunno, maybe upcoming season will have some good ones compare to very few good ones of last season. Actually looking forward to season 2 of Assassination Classroom that is in this season's running. Maybe a few others will be good to that I didn't bother mentioning cause am iffy on them.

Quote from: Matttheman89 on December 14, 2015, 02:30:14 PM

That is because FMA Brotherhood follow the manga. When the original FMA was running it went pass the actual manga, so they had to make things up as they went along with the story. This happens to a lot of animes. Look at Hunter x Hunter, it has been rebooted to follow the manga, but now on a prolonged pause and dissatisfying ending really. Blue Exorcist couldn't keep up in manga, the anime passed it, so things are iffy there. The actual good creators of anime tend to wait on the manga, such as the prolonged pause to Attack on Titan. Also, I am afraid that vampire(can't remember name off top of head) current anime is going to surpass the manga since it is dreadfully reaching where the manga is at.

Then there are those animes that don't continue, even with manga having many more volumes. Kenichi, History's Strongest Disciple. Probably one of the best lighter hearted martial arts animes, but it was stopped and has many, many, many more volumes to it.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Drake Valentine

Schwarzesmarken - Didn't live up to my tastes; but I may give it a few more episodes to see if it manages. I don't dig protagonist and 'loli' base girls though and yes, that girl is 15 in the anime, it even states so, so I still consider her underage. Not sure how old he is, he looks pretty old in late teens if anything.

I was looking forward to it, since it is an adaption of the Muv-Luv anime; but... Yea... The above kind of killed it fast. Maybe it will get better, but if it becomes some sort of love story between them two, I am kicking it to the curve.

What else..

Ah yes, that 'Hai to Gensou no Grimgar' I will strongly recommend this series. This is as realistic to a fantasy world videogame type of anime you are going to get. Now, I am not putting up any hype, this isn't about overpowered/overlevel characters, don't start comparing it to things like SAO and other videogame animes of that sort. This anime takes a different approach to the gritty nature of survival, of believable 'people,' in a videogame world. People with little/no skill that must struggle to make heavy decisions and get by. If you are expecting some hero to get super powers or move up suddenly as a badass, keep trucking. This isn't that type of anime, it doesn't try to be that type of anime, going by the manga and whatnot; which I hope it does stay true to the manga. If it follows the manga, it will be a gritty and tear jerking series that will troll you into believing things that aren't what they seem. I will not spoil it, but if you haven't already watch first episode, I would give it a go to get a good look of what type of series it is going to be base around.

Divine Gate - Do not know how I feel about this one, yet. The first episode didn't really give much to leave an impression on me.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Yukina

Has anyone else watched "Dimension W"? It has this nice "90's charm" to it. :)

yugi006

Dimension  W is great so far.

Haruki

Well, I poke in here every 6-months to a year.  Here's where I'm at.

A few years back I watched the stream to the anime Kingdom that FUNimation had up a few years back (2012-2013).  They never streamed Season 2 (not officially anyways), and this disappointed me because the historical fact (albeit, with some historic figures fictionalized (and several characters were gender-swapped to become female because they aimed this show at a 'shounen' demographic), political and war themes of the story appealed to me.  Animation-wise though, what were Pierrot Studio thinking?  I heard S2 reverts back to the usual 'flat' 2d anime style we're usually used to, but have yet to see it.

Anyways, it totally flew under my radar when they announced this to get a DVD release (along with Season 2), and both seasons *gasp* with a English Dub.  (Thank you!!  Saves me from straining the eye).  I just got Season 1 late last week, and I'm already rewatching this show.  Still think the animation is 'meh' but the story is the draw, and the fact it's a derivative of real-world history (specifically, the Warring States era in Chinese history, latter 200's B.C.).  Loving this stuff.

Sadly there are no dub credits, but it's not sounding like a typical FUNimation work.  Some lines come across a bit stiff but it's not the worst I've heard....and putting it against the subtitles, almost matches up (again, not typical of FUNimation's work).  I'm wondering if this was farmed out to Studiopolis or Bang Zoom?  Usually I can match up 'who did what', but there are also a lot of new dub actors out there nowadays.

Either way, I recommend seeing this one if you can get past the 'meh' animation and character design (some are just butt-ugly).

I also picked up the BluRay edition of Samurai Pizza Cats.  My gateway anime and still a guilty pleasure today.  Considering it's a 4:3 native res, and was done in 1990-1991, looks alright.  Being Betatape source masters, it's not going to be 1080p....the highest they authored the disc was 480p, upscaling seems to be 'prettying it up' to my 1080p 40" TV.  I always put on a few episodes before I fall asleep.

It's been streaming but i haven't caught it yet.  I want to see Utawarerumono: The False Faces or whatever that one's name is.  I saw the original show and have the OAV spinoff of that one on preorder.  Like Kingdom, it's another of those war/political things with the whole post-apocalyptic/sci-fi theme.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Assassini

Felt like I might compile a little list of all the anime I've watched from best to worst. This is actually pretty easy for me because I'm a very long way from "experienced" in terms of anime. I've been fans of the Studio Ghibli films for years, but I've only attempted to watch around a dozen anime series. I know to pick "subs over dubs" but beyond that I'm no authority on the subject. Definitely not a "weeabo" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's also something that in general I like doing. Making lists of things I mean, both so I can pontificate a bit (and externalise my internal rants) and to see if anyone else agrees with my thoughts. So, from best to worst:

• Gurren Lagann - Easily the best anime I've ever seen. Great characters. Great premise. Great plot. Bare minimum of fanservice (which I enjoy at low levels). Great music score and animation. Absolutely epic in many senses of the word and actually one of the very few animes I would rate highly enough to be amongst my favourite TV shows and not just animes (which is rare, as normally I will always rate a standard TV show higher). Also the only one I have rewatched completely thus far.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Again, very easily my second favourite. Not quiiiiite as inspirational or epic as Gurren Lagann, but certainly pretty awesome nonetheless. Also has the capacity to surprise in that it can swing very fluidly between light-hearted and joking to deadly serious and extremely gritty. Plus, again, just an awesome premise.
  • One Punch Man - absolutely outstanding and genuinely one of the only animes I've ever watched to make me properly laugh out loud. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but Japanese humour often feels like it falls very flat for me (they seem to think its hilarious to animate boobs jiggling with an over-the-top "BOOOIIING!" sound effect).
  • Attack on Titan - enjoyable overall, but really I think it's a bit overrated. I'm keen for the second season though, so don't think I don't appreciate it. I just think that some of the others on my list are better.
  • Cowboy Bebop - Not much to say that literally everyone else hasn't already said. Is what actually got me into anime in the first place. Grown-up. Smart. Quick, so you don't feel overwhelmed by 1000 episodes before you even start. Generally just good overall. A point of note is that I've heard that the dub is actually awesome as well, but I haven't put that to the test. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • Hajime no Ippo - From a "critical" stand-point I wouldn't call it "great", because it's a little predictable and a little repetitive. However, the story and the characters are actually pretty high calibre and, if nothing else it's an amusing watch. As should be clear from the fact that I slammed basically all three seasons over the space of a few weeks.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist - I actually watched this before watching Brotherhood, which initially put me of Brotherhood, which is a shame because I think Brotherhood is a lot better. While I THINK the way the original FMA starts up is a bit better (because it provides a slow introduction to many of the characters as opposed to starting right in the middle of the action and providing all the other information via flashback) the way it ends is WAY worse. The story gets pretty boring, depressing and fairly ridiculous towards the end, which is a shame. So it's just not as good in my view.
  • High School of the Dead - Fanservice the Anime. That's about it.
  • Sword Art Online - Awesome premise. The first half of the show was amongst some of the coolest stuff I'd seen and probably would have been in my top 3 or 5 if it had kept it up. HOWEVER, it took an absolute nose-dive when the plot suddenly changed gears and focused on that stupid romance arc. It became boring and damn-near despicably cringe-worthy. To this day I absolutely cannot stand the inclusion of the AI "child" character (Yue? Or something similar). Any "loli" type of character is something I just CANNOT wrap my head around and really genuinely puts me off. Plus they also felt the need for some incest undertones on top of that. Properly cringe. And it's a shame, because the rest of it was really quite good.
  • Gantz - Great premise and cool characters. Very tough and gritty and lots of promise for surprises seeing as basically only the main protagonist seemed to be safe. Absolutely ruined by voice acting (because literally half of it was "heavy breathing sounds" which grated on my nerves like nails) and by the fact that it took like 5 episodes for anything to actually happen. Each small battle seemed to just drag on... And on... And on...
  • Wolf's Rain - Very first anime I ever saw back in like 2011 and it put me off any other anime for YEARS. Felt absolutely ridiculous and completely soul-crushingly depressing (and not even in a good, realistic way). The story seemed to basically make no sense. It tried being gritty for the sake of being gritty and grim. And honestly it was just boring. Waste of time and I still cannot believe I finished it.
  • Code Geass - Only watched a few episodes before kind of losing interest. It has a pretty cool premise and SEEMS like it should be something I'd enjoy, but I just cannot stand the protagonist. It's that sort of grimdark, edgy, "oh look at me, I'm smarter and better than everyone else, everyone else is a retard and I'm amazing and wonderful and so everyone else should die" protagonist I just cannot stand. The sort of guy with more edges than a icosahedron and saltier than the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Death Note - Same situation as Code Geass except that the protagonist is WAY FUCKING WORSE in terms of being an edgy cunt. I watched three episodes and was already bored to tears.
  • Tokyo Ghoul - Gave up on the first episode when the protagonist had to start eating a human corpse. No way that anime was ever going to be amusing and anything other than edgy and grimdark.

So. That's literally ALL the anime I've ever seen.

Anyone got any comments? Suggestions about stuff I might like? Or thoughts about giving some of those near the bottom another try?

LuckyOwl

Yo Assassini, you've seen a lot more Anime than me, but on Death Note, the fact that Light is a huge cunt is the entire point. The writers agree with you. And they show it over and over again throughout the series. It plummets in quality towards the end, but the middle episodes are fucking amazing.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Assassini

Quote from: LuckyOwl on February 04, 2016, 08:27:20 AM
Yo Assassini, you've seen a lot more Anime than me, but on Death Note, the fact that Light is a huge cunt is the entire point. The writers agree with you. And they show it over and over again throughout the series. It plummets in quality towards the end, but the middle episodes are fucking amazing.

Yeah? Maybe I should give it another chance... It IS one of those shows which everyone treats like the second coming

Sain

Looking at your comments on what you've watched you would also probably really like Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell and Baccano. They all have pretty nice characters, mature vibe and action.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Assassini on February 04, 2016, 08:58:34 AM
Yeah? Maybe I should give it another chance... It IS one of those shows which everyone treats like the second coming

Starts off a bit too slow, and the last few episodes are definitely not as good. But specifically the

very mild spoilers
Light vs L
plotline and episodes are some of the best stuff I've seen, ever.
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Assassini

Quote from: Sain on February 04, 2016, 09:11:41 AM
Looking at your comments on what you've watched you would also probably really like Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell and Baccano. They all have pretty nice characters, mature vibe and action.

I have actually seen Ghost in the Shell. I didn't mention it above because I count that as a movie and not really a series. But it WAS good.

I have also heard some good things about Black Lagoon.

Quote from: LuckyOwl on February 04, 2016, 09:14:03 AM
Starts off a bit too slow, and the last few episodes are definitely not as good. But specifically the

very mild spoilers
Light vs L
plotline and episodes are some of the best stuff I've seen, ever.

Rrrr... Fiiiine. I'll give it another look.

Sain

Oh, but there are multiple series and movies of Ghost in the Shell.

Assassini

Quote from: Sain on February 04, 2016, 09:25:09 AM
Oh, but there are multiple series and movies of Ghost in the Shell.

Wait, what??

I've only ever seen THE Ghost in the Shell.

At least I assume it is either the original or the major one or something...

Sain

Well most of the stuff in that series is pretty good so if you liked that movie you might want to give the other stuff a shot. Reddit had a handy watching guide.

Oniya

Quote from: Assassini on February 04, 2016, 06:30:36 AM
  • Cowboy Bebop - Not much to say that literally everyone else hasn't already said. Is what actually got me into anime in the first place. Grown-up. Smart. Quick, so you don't feel overwhelmed by 1000 episodes before you even start. Generally just good overall. A point of note is that I've heard that the dub is actually awesome as well, but I haven't put that to the test. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Actually, I can only watch dubs, so my vote of awesomeness comes from that experience.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Eternal Eternity

I just noticed this thread and, since I also love anime, I decided to post a short list of the series I'm currently watching...

.FMA/FMA Brotherhood: One of the best animes I've watched so far. If you haven't seen it, I totally recommend it. The plot is so interesting and unexpected....I prefer FMA over brotherhood for now though, but both are totally amazing.

.Saint Seiya: The style is rather old (it's an anime from the 90s I think) but I still love it. Any shonen with battles normally manages to catch my attention sooner or later.

.One Piece: Awesome! And it's rather long, so that's a pro more than a con for me! (I enjoy long animes)

.World Trigger: Just started with it though but it's rather good so far.

.Attack on Titan: Recently finished the series. One of the best gore-like animes I've seen so far.

I watched many more as well, but can't really recall all of them right now, so I think I should stop here. Any recommendation would also be appreciated, of course :)

Haruki

Oniya, I'm like you in that I also, when possible / available, watch anime with the English track on.  For me it's a necessity since my sight isn't the best.....the subs (especially against anime's many bright colors) can be a bitch to read.

I'm just glad I didn't get chewed out for that necessity here.  Anime fans can be a highly-fickle (and outspoken) lot.  Even without my life's circumstances, I'd probably still watch anime in that format, just because it allows me to follow the action and enjoy the story.  If I wanted to read, I'll go online or read a book.  For me, it's just another hobby amongst many I have, no longer an obsession for me like it was years ago.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Oniya

For me, it's a case of 1) a non-existent grasp of Japanese (I know maybe half a dozen phrases, only half of which are actually useful,) and 2) the fact that I have to multitask while watching anything (glance down at my hands, miss an entire line of dialogue).  Even if it's just some mostly-brainless knitting.  The only foreign language I know well enough to watch original content in is German, because even if I miss the subtitle I've probably gotten the context.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haruki

Quote from: Oniya on February 04, 2016, 01:29:39 PM
For me, it's a case of 1) a non-existent grasp of Japanese (I know maybe half a dozen phrases, only half of which are actually useful,) and 2) the fact that I have to multitask while watching anything (glance down at my hands, miss an entire line of dialogue).  Even if it's just some mostly-brainless knitting.  The only foreign language I know well enough to watch original content in is German, because even if I miss the subtitle I've probably gotten the context.

Likewise with me on your first point.  Japanese is just a language I know a few basic words / phrases (and that is due to anime itself).  Otherwise, it's not a predominant language where I live.  If my job required me to learn a 2nd language, it would be Spanish, and if a 3rd, probably Chinese.

I usually watch my slice of anime before I sleep, so I don't have to worry about the multitasking part.
=====
My Introduction
=====

mellowdude

I prefer Brotherhood, but

spoiler for both
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Hughs' death hit a lot harder for me in the original. I don't remember it too well, but I think he had more scenes and stuff there.

mellowdude

In case someone just entered the thread, above post was about Full Metal Alchemist. I'd like to edit that in, but can't.

Eternal Eternity

Quote from: mellowdude on February 04, 2016, 02:03:54 PM
I prefer Brotherhood, but

spoiler for both
Hughs' death hit a lot harder for me in the original. I don't remember it too well, but I think he had more scenes and stuff there.

I have to admit that when I first watched his death in the original series, it made me cry (I feel slightly ashamed, but couldn't really help it. I'm a bit sensitive I guess. On the other hand, when I saw the same scene in the Brotherhood series, it didn't affect me that much. That might have been because I had already watched it in the original series though. But I agree, they might have dedicated more time to it in the first series than in Brotherhood if I recall it correctly.