Looking for something in a historical setting...

Started by NightBird, February 23, 2008, 11:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

I'm looking for just one additional storyline to satisfy an itch I've found very difficult to scratch. I want to write with somebody on a historical. Precisely which era would be open to discussion, as would the presence or absence of supernatural elements, but I really want somebody who's familiar with the era they'd propose, especially something of the culture and world view, as I'd like to avoid as much anachronism as practical for fiction writing.

I prefer at least a moderately gritty tone, strong characters, and I would love conflict within some situation where the two characters have to cooperate to achieve something. I'd like two relatively dominant individuals, the male role perhaps slightly more dominant, but definitely each rubbing sparks off the other, basically mutual attraction with varying possible degrees of consent along a spectrum of seduction to force. Any of the European wars from the fall of the Roman Empire to the Great War could work, as could more personal or social situations. I'm leaving that sort of detail open to discussion in order to let anybody who's potentially interested have a voice in the exact era and location.

I'm not the fastest of posters, and I have my share of crises that keep me away from the boards at times, but I think I can safely promise thoughtful posts and real attention to building the storyline and developing both characters. I'd like to think that most people who've written with me have enjoyed doing so.

You can access my Ons and Offs via my Elluiki page, a link to which is in my sig.

Now to the hopeful waiting part...

Question Mark

Nice.  I like the train of thought you're following here; I've always liked a bit of accurate historical roleplaying myself.  I have a couple of time periods, on both sides of the puddle.

The One Hundred Years War (towards the end, where the War part actually was prominent)

The Crusades, either in the actual fighting, or in either of the homelands (Middle East, Central Europe)

Pre-Revolution America, where conflicts were starting to arise between the Colonies and England

Revolutionary America, during the actual war

Circa American Civil War; before, during, or after; at home or on the front

Colonial Times; either in America, or en route America

Now, it's pretty late here, and I'm off to bed.  But those are what I could think of off the top of my head, and I'm open to any other suggestions.  Like you, I'm in the mood just for something, anything, historic.  Glad to cut short your hopeful waiting part,  :D

Captain Maltese

How are you at the Napoleonic wars? I'm a reenactor...

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

NightBird

I have what I'm looking for. My thanks to everyone who replied!