And We All Fell Down (Modern, Some Intrigue, Politics and Sci-Fi, Dark, Gritty)

Started by BigBlackGamer, October 22, 2005, 08:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

GolGol

My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Elvi

GolGol

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Elvi

BigBlackGamer

Someone might want to help me on this one...maybe I'm Pmming the wrong person to get a board from...

Elvi

Apparently these are the people who you need to contact.
Goddesses: Cindy1, Dreamshard, Trieste, and Pixie
God: Vekseid

GolGol

RogueJedi

Sure we won't GolGol... don't forget that we have the power to read minds. ;)

*Waves hand in air* You will write longer than a minute.

GolGol

RogueJedi

BigBlackGamer

Opening Scene

First, you awaken.  Perhaps it is to the trilling of a dimestore alarm clock with brash red LEDs, world outside showing only a faint hint of light along the eastern horizon, stars above still blissfully twinkling, innocently unaware of the day to dawn a couple hours hence.  Perhaps you awaken because the idiot who parks his car too close to where you sleep has his car alarm set on hair-trigger mode, and a truck rumbled by.  Maybe the sunlight coming in your window rouses you.  Maybe the touch of whoever you share your bed with is what rouses you.

You get breakfast, and turn on the TV.  Or you log onto the Internet.  Bad news, worse than usual even for these times.  A grainy picture shows a distant ship ablaze, roiling black smoke billowing above it, angry-looking Arab writing across the bottom of it.  "And this footage," the newscaster said, "of one of the burning supertankers was shot by Al-Quaeda, which has claimed credit for the attack.  Sources tell us the attack was carried out by four operatives, each remaining aboard speedboats that were kept submerged, resumably laden with explosives.  When the tankers came into range, the speedboats suddenly ambushed, slamming into the sides of the supertankers.  Three aboard the tankers were injured.  The cargoes of crude oil are now ablaze."

The newscaster continued.  "News of the attack has panicked already-tight petroleum markets.  Crude is already up over seventeen dollars, passing the $90 a barrel mark.  The President was unavailable for comment.  And in local news, the LAPD is finding itself on the defensive after the second police shooting of a Hispanic citizen in less than one week.  In this morning's incident," the picture shifted to what was obviously amateur video, "a police officer spotted a pickup truck, and his dispatcher told him it was stolen, and the driver was wanted for as a 'person of interest' in a convenience store robbery.  The officer pulled the truck over.  Believing the occupant 'made a sudden move,' the officer opened fire, killing the driver and passenger.  However, News 12 has learned that the truck was in fact legally registered to the driver, the two were unarmed, and the driver was taking his younger brother to work at a shopping mall.  Police had no comment.  Tensions are rising between the LAPD and the Latino community, with a report of a brick thrown through the windshield of a police cruiser near Crenshaw.  The mayor is appealing for calm..."

You then leave the news behind, get on with preparations for the last normal day you will ever have.

shadowheart

I like the sound of this game!  Count me in. :)

If this counts that is.. I can PM you too.. :D

Menulis

I'm interested too, this game could be my first on elliquiy. I could break my cherry! Uh... if I had one.
I have nothing to declare but my genius. -Oscar Wilde

BigBlackGamer

I don't seem to be having any luck getting in contact with the folks running this show...could y'all PM them and ask them for a board for this game?  Thanx.

BigBlackGamer

Quote from: BigBlackGamer on October 29, 2005, 02:23:42 AM
I don't seem to be having any luck getting in contact with the folks running this show...could y'all PM them and ask them for a board for this game?  Thanx.
And in the meantime, let's go ahead and get characters made.

I'm really not big on War and Peace as a model for character sheets.  By all means, if you find your muse while coming up with your character, write as much as you want, but all I'm really looking for are vitals (name, sex, age, height, weight, ethnic background) along with a physical description and a paragraph or two on where the character came from and where he or she would (at least like to) be going.  As far as finding out her life story, all her likes and dislikes, that's what the story is all about--if we learn everything there is to know up front, part of our motivation for reading the story evaporates.

Your characters are normal residents of the greater Los Angeles area.  They have no magical or extraordinary powers.  I'm pretty wide open as to character types and backgrounds.  The only backgrounds I'd rather not see are:

Military, police, ninja, Mossad, or secret agents.  I'll admit these types can be played realistically, but I've just seen too many incidents of abuse involving these character types.  They tend to dominate.  In one game I was in, a player left because the GM wouldn't let his character walk while carrying and firing TWO chain guns.  "But Jack's a Green Beret!"  Yeah, and unless he's the Jolly Green Giant, the recoil from one chain gun would knock Jack flat on his ass in two seconds.  That, and an argument with a player who insisted his ninja was invisible and could dodge bullets, have pretty much led me to ban those character types.

The super-rich.  If your character has money falling out of his ass, that takes the challenge away.  Note that I said super-rich.  Being a successful lawyer with a $750,000 house in the hills, a Lincoln Navigator, and $500,000 in assets does not make one "super-rich," merely "rich" or "well-off."  Having a $2.3M mansion, two summer homes, and a LearJet...well, that's super-rich.

The druggie loser.  No, your character doesn't have to be stone-cold sober all the time.  She can have some vices, including booze or drugs.  What I'm referring to is the character who is habitually high and never knows what the fuck is going on one way or another.  At first, it's kind of funny, but it quickly gets to be a bore.

The nympho slut.   ;D  Sure, have your character be a nympho slut at times if that's her style.  If your character has a libido above the norm, that's cool too.  I'm not saying females can't or shouldn't get really turned on sometimes--far from it.  But there is a point of diminishing returns.  One scene after another after another after another of raging nympho sluttery is a bore.  I had a player I wrote with and every one of her characters was like that...lasted about a week before I got so bored I put her on permanent Ignore.

I figure that still gives you about 90% of the human race to work with in terms of creating a character.  So what are you waiting for?   ;)  When you've made your character, just post it to this thread (at least until the Powers That Be give us a board).

Faolan

Name:  Kyle Dyson
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 175lbs.
Hair: Long brown hair down to his lower back
Eyes: Hazel (Green with golden brown streaks)

Kyle has been a hollywood stuntman since he was 16 years old.  One of his Dad's best friends got him into it after watching Kyle in one of his Karate classes and noticed a natural talent.  Soon Kyle had learned multiple styles including Tae Kwon Do for the powerful, totally unrealstic, but looked good on film kicks and Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee's martial art of adaptation and speed.  He learned how to take a fall, and how to wield numerous hand weapons.  He also learned how to use a number of different kinds of handguns.

Kyle's broad base of knowldedge has stopped him from being truly expert in any one of the fields but he is certainly competant in many.

shadowheart

Name:  Jalyssa Bower
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair: Curly red shoulder-length hair
Eyes: Emerald green

Jalyssa was an aspiring young actress who chose to move to L.A. to attempt to break into movies rather than go to school.  She has had several auditions, a screen test, and has even tried to become an extra.  What she has learnt is a painful truth: She can't act.  She would still love to break into show biz, but several heartbeaking rejections have left her despairing of that dream ever coming true.

Now, taking on an office job to keep her head above water, she faces the unpleasant reality that she doesn't have the money to return home to Ohio, enter school, and return to the life that she now knows she was foolish to leave.

Lirliel

Name:  Sinthia Veron
Height: 1,65 Meters
Weight: 76 Kilo's
Hair: Straight blonde hair (dyed)
Eyes: Deep Blue

Sinthia had always loved the sea, from the day her father first brought her here. She had loved it, so it was no wonder she became a surfer chick. Always hanging around the sea, finding it her insipiration in many things. She found love here, happiness and enjoyment. It was her place away from home, her inspirational spot in life. But life needs to have its wages pays so she works parttime on a beachtent, usually at night as a bartender.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

RogueJedi

Name: Jennifer Gutierrez
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair: Long black hair down past her shoulder blades
Eyes: Chocolate Brown

Jennifer grew up in Los Angeles, her family Hispanic.  When she was sixteen, she fell in with a street gang run by her then-boyfriend Miguel.  She became one of their whores and drugrunners.  However, after a gunfight between the cops and being abandoned by the gang to suffer for their mistakes in juvie, she tried to turn her life around, with little success.  She was soon disowned by her family and kicked back out onto the streets.

Jennifer dreams of going to Hollywood, but her cynical side knows that will never happen.  Instead, she has found work in a strip club in the seedy area of Los Angeles, where she is constantly on display for anyone who wants to look.

GolGol

Name: Felix Johnsson

Description: Felix is a rather tall man who stands about 185cm. His bodybuilt is normal for a man of his age who likes to train regulary. His hair is short cut and dark blonde, his eyes are blue and his face is rather nice. Felix almost always dress in normal clothes, such as jeans, t-shirt and boots along with a leather jacket. Over his eyes rests a pair of stylish sunglasses and around his neck is a small silver crusifix. Despite his appearence he is a rather introvert person that can behave like a clown since he is not always that confident in himself, but he gets serious when needed.

History: Felix is a just a normal man with a normal life. His life is not special at all. He grew up with his family in seattle and went through college with rather good grades. After this he moved to New York when he got job as a bartender in one of the more exclusive clubs. Since then he have worked at many different bars and right now he is rather good at what he is doing. Despite this he have trouble getting friends and he have never had a steady girlfriend, which is the source to his bad self image. He owns an apartement in which he have lived since he moved to New York and now he is thinking of getting another one. But he does notknow what awaits him...

Lorelei

Name: Amanda Harper
Weight: 124lbs
Hair: California Blond
Eyes: Blue

Description:
Blonde and lovely,  Amanda appears to be a stereotypic California girl. This often leads many to underestimate her because behind that pretty face is a warm and funny individual with a keen mind and a sharp wit.  Slender yet delightfully feminine, Amanda is in excellent shape.  Years of running, yoga, aerobics and pilates has given her a figure she loves to show off in the up to date fashions.

History:
A native of California, Amanda spent her childhood in the suburban banality known as the Central Valley.  Her formitive years were spent at school pep rallies, in shopping malls and on soccer fields as she lived a stereotypic life of middle class conformity.  She fled at the first opportunity, eager to leave Sacremento behind her.  Thanks to a generous scholarship, she headed straight to UCLA.  After four years in Westwood, she  graduated with a degree in Linguistics and East Asian Studies.  She then worked in public relations for a major Japanese corporation but found it to be unsatisfying.  While she ponders going back to graduate school, Amanda spends her time working as a translator for a nonprofit foundation.  She currently lives in KTown.

Other:
Speaks Japanese fluently.  Has good knowledge of Spanish, Korean and Mandarin.

PS:
My family is from Cali so I hope not to offend anyone from Sacremento ;)
Also, housing prices in LA are pretty high, so $750 000 doesn't buy as much as it would in other parts of the country.

BigBlackGamer

Quote from: Lorelei on October 29, 2005, 12:32:42 PM
Name: Amanda Harper
Weight: 124lbs
Hair: California Blond
Eyes: Blue

Description:
Blonde and lovely,  Amanda appears to be a stereotypic California girl. This often leads many to underestimate her because behind that pretty face is a warm and funny individual with a keen mind and a sharp wit.  Slender yet delightfully feminine, Amanda is in excellent shape.  Years of running, yoga, aerobics and pilates has given her a figure she loves to show off in the up to date fashions.

History:
A native of California, Amanda spent her childhood in the suburban banality known as the Central Valley.  Her formitive years were spent at school pep rallies, in shopping malls and on soccer fields as she lived a stereotypic life of middle class conformity.  She fled at the first opportunity, eager to leave Sacremento behind her.  Thanks to a generous scholarship, she headed straight to UCLA.  After four years in Westwood, she  graduated with a degree in Linguistics and East Asian Studies.  She then worked in public relations for a major Japanese corporation but found it to be unsatisfying.  While she ponders going back to graduate school, Amanda spends her time working as a translator for a nonprofit foundation.  She currently lives in KTown.

Other:
Speaks Japanese fluently.  Has good knowledge of Spanish, Korean and Mandarin.

PS:
My family is from Cali so I hope not to offend anyone from Sacremento ;)
Also, housing prices in LA are pretty high, so $750 000 doesn't buy as much as it would in other parts of the country.

True on the housing prices...here in Cali you'd think they were selling eternal life rather that a bunch of wood and brick on a plot of land.

Oh, and by the way, WE'RE LIVE!  Thanks, Lilac.   :)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=135.0

There's one board created for characters...if you would please, go ahead and cut and paste your characters into posts on that board.

BigBlackGamer

Oh, and one last point here--evil characters are welcome too.  Our your character could be "neutral," i.e., have some vices as well as virtues.  The game will always be open.  Drop on by and take a look.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=135.0

BigBlackGamer

After an absence of a few days, I'm back (had to take care of business).  Anyone interested in this game, let me know.