D&D for EVIL Characters/Party

Started by OldSchoolGamer, October 19, 2008, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Hmm... I'm thinking human CE wine drinking urban priest of Lunis.  A sophisticated wolf in sheep's clothing who runs an orphanage for the children of whores.  The orphanage is actually a front to indoctrinate the bastard children into the worship of Lunis, and infect the most worthy of them with lycanthropy shortly before puberty.

As the story begins, his orphanage has fallen short of money, and he's gone adventuring to pay off the debts accrued.  He really genuinely likes children, but he doesn't at all regret what eventually happens to them.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Transgirlenstein

I have not settled on a concept just yet but could you send me the phb?  I dont have my copy with me.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

sleepingferret

Sending PHB to trippingsatyr 10/23/08 16:09 CDT.

RubySlippers

Half-elf Bard, female, kind of well-rounded.

GrinningHound

Hit me with that PHB yo!

Thank you!   ;D

I'm settled on my legendary strength mercenary adventurer.

sleepingferret

As long as it doesn't get circulated out of hand, anyone who has been sent the info pass it on to those in need here on E.

The Great Triangle

So, I finished designing my priest's abilities.  I'd like to see if they can be approved:

Priest of Lunis:

Requirements: Dex 13, Cha 13, Wis 9

Weapons and Armor: Priests of Lunis may wield Sickles, Daggers, Clubs, Spears, Quarter Staves, Javelins, and Scythes.  Priests of Lunis are not permitted to wear armor.

Spheres:

Major: Animal, Charm, Elemental (water), Weather.

Minor: Combat, Divination

Special: Each time a priest of Lunis gains access to a new level of spells, he may learn to prepare a wizard spell from the illusion school.  Upon attaining the 4th level of spells, adds Polymorph Self into lycanthrope forms only to his spell list.  At the 5th spell level, adds Polymorph other to his spell list.

Divine Powers:

May cast an additional spell per day of each level the priest has access to.

May hide in shadows as a thief at base skill of 25%, receiving an 5% bonus to this skill for each level after the first.

Restrictions:

Suffers double damage from silver weapons and cannot touch silver.

During the period of the New Moon, must stay silent and abstinent.

During the period of the Full Moon, must make several sacrifices of blood or ritual sex to Lunis each night.

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Assuming my mythos gets approved, here's the character I want to roll up:

Madragail Lois

CE Cleric of Lunis

Str: 8 (8) (weight allowance 35, open doors 5, bend bars 1%)
Dex: 13 (13) (No Modifiers)
Con: 8 (8) (System Shock 60%, Resurrection Survival 65%)
Int: 7  (7) (Low Intelligence, Knows Common only)
Wis 16 (18) (+2 magical save adjustment, 2 bonus 1st level spells, 2 bonus 2nd level spells)
Cha 18 (22) (Max 15 henchmen, +15 base loyalty, +7 reaction adjustment)

HP: 8   AC: 10   Thac0: 20

Saves:

Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic: 10
Rod Staff or Wand: 14
Petrification or Polymorph: 13
Breath Weapon: 16
Spell: 15

Weapon Proficiencies: Sickle, Sling

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Astrology, Etiquette, Local History

Thief Skills: Hide in Shadows: 30%

Spell Slots:  1/4

Spells Known: Animal Friendship, Bless, Change Self, Combine, Command, Create Water,
Detect Good, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Detect Snares and Pits, Faerie Fire,
Invisibility to Animals, Locate Animals or Plants, Magic Stone, Purify Food and Drink,
Remove Fear, Shillelagh.

(Favorite Set: Bless, Remove Fear, Magic Stone, Change Self)

Familiar: Bonso the Wonder Mutt

4 HP, AC 6, THAC0 18, overbears man-sized opponent on natural 19 or higher, 1 ATT (bite), d6 damage

Overbearing can only occur during the initial attack (charge).  If an opponent is overborne, the opponent is prone and loses any DEX bonus to AC.  The wolf gains a second attack at +3 to hit.  If successful, the attack (rending) does half the damage a normal attack would do, fractions rounded up.

Ons and Offs

Muse

Oh, my, lord!  Am i too late?  May i please play?  May i?  May i?  *bounce!* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

GrinningHound

Ty hasn't been on in a while, and I can't find an Absence notice in his recent posts.  I wonder if everything's all right?

OldSchoolGamer

Hey everyone, I hit a rough patch and had an overly geeky moment, but I'm here, and the game's still on.  Muse, you can play too.

The Great Triangle

Hooray!  What's the verdict on my cleric?

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 17, 2008, 08:34:08 PM
Hooray!  What's the verdict on my cleric?

Definitely a bout of inspired wickedness there.  I heartily approve. 

The orphanage in question is on the fringes of a frontier town, near some fens.  The town generally supports the orphanage and thinks it's a benefit.  There are whispers and rumors of the true goings-on, of course, but nothing that anyone can put a finger on.  It's a classic case of people not wanting to dig too deep...the fens have a bad reputation, and who knows just what lurks in the fogs and mists that form each night and roll into that part of town...

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: VandalSavage on October 21, 2008, 04:02:33 PM
I have in mind an utterly anti-social - albeit very cunning and adaptable - brute in mind to play.  Human, but one whose background would make "raised by wolves" akin to growing up with the Brady Bunch.  He will not have a problem getting along with those he must, but this young savage is, essential, no more than an animal.

Others are to be exploited however possible, or eliminated as threats.  All creatures are below him, or soon will be.  And his appetites are considerable.

Some manner of Warrior would be most suitable.  Might we use Kits, if approved?

Sounds good.  I'll evaluate kits on a case-by-case basis.  Feel free to invent your own.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on October 22, 2008, 10:42:22 PM
Okay, still thinking about just how I want my character.  I don't want him to start out evil, just a little ambiguous, and ambitious.

I want him to be the type of epic warrior that would be in legends, akin to Hercules, Samson, Conan, (Kratos :P), meaning larger than life, and capable of legendary feats (strangling Hill Giants, pushing aside boulders, etc.)

So, basically I'm looking at an 18 STR.  :P  The character will descend into darkness and such as the game progresses.  Fighters in 2E got followers and castles, right?

I might multiclass him into a dark paladin as we go, depending on the events in the story.

He'll probably start out more humble than that, but as time goes on, he can accrete a reputation.  And, the bigger he gets, the more influence he'll acquire.  A stronghold is down the road a ways, but certainly within the realm of possibility.

GrinningHound

Glad you're back!  I'm looking forward to some action on a biblical scale, and a whole lot of moral ambiguity as his ways descend into tyranny.  Though, I realize that at level 1, he probably won't be very manly.

Conan started out as just a humble thief, after all!  My character will be cunning and efficient, not just a dumb bruiser.  At low level he'll pick his fights with tact.

Hmmm....maybe a Fighter/Thief?  I'll have to look up how multi classing works and see if it's worth it.

Since I don't own any 2E books, I don't know any kits or other options I have besides the basic fighter character, which is in fact pretty bland.  How would I go about creating a kit?  Would you help me work on that?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on November 17, 2008, 10:46:55 PM
Glad you're back!  I'm looking forward to some action on a biblical scale, and a whole lot of moral ambiguity as his ways descend into tyranny.  Though, I realize that at level 1, he probably won't be very manly.

Conan started out as just a humble thief, after all!  My character will be cunning and efficient, not just a dumb bruiser.  At low level he'll pick his fights with tact.

Hmmm....maybe a Fighter/Thief?  I'll have to look up how multi classing works and see if it's worth it.

Since I don't own any 2E books, I don't know any kits or other options I have besides the basic fighter character, which is in fact pretty bland.  How would I go about creating a kit?  Would you help me work on that?

We could do some tradeoffs.  Your character could use the THAC0 table for warriors (a big advantage over rogues, especially at higher levels).  However, he would have to give up two thieving abilities, and accept a multiplier of 0.5 in terms of percentage skills to allocate to the others.  He would only have the number of weapon proficiency slots a rogue has, but I would allow him to gain proficiency in any weapon usable by a warrior.  However, to employ a backstab, he could only use a weapon open to rogues.

GrinningHound

You can't backstab someone with an axe or a greatsword?  :(

It sure is easy to hit someone in the cranium when they don't know you're there, regardless of weapon size.  :D

The Great Triangle

Backstabbing requires precision and a careful grip on the weapon.  Something that cannot be done with a large weapon.  Most backstabs target the heart or the kidneys.  (although occasionally the lungs, whatever's handy)

For a human, you can start out in one class and then after advancing to the level you want in that class, you pick up the new second class, forever closing off your first class.  

I reccomend that you start as a Fighting-Man, because you'll be able to gain percentile strength scores, which give you a signifigant advantage in might.  (The lower levels of thievery don't require very much experience to advance through though, so it may be worthwhile to explore them.)  Most thiefly skills cannot be used or suffer penalties n heavy armor, however.

Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on November 17, 2008, 11:03:01 PM
You can't backstab someone with an axe or a greatsword?  :(

It sure is easy to hit someone in the cranium when they don't know you're there, regardless of weapon size.  :D

It's an issue of balance.  When you're talking about employing a multiplier of up to 4 with a weapon able to do up to 12 points of damage (and that's before any other bonuses are factored in!), it distorts the game.  Plus, the whole idea behind a backstab isn't merely attacking from behind, but also using a weapon maneuverable enough to carefully stick into the victim's vitals.  It's about finesse, not brute force, and that's hard to achieve with a greataxe.

GrinningHound

It just seems to me that you can quite easily nail a guy in the vitals when he isn't fully able to defend himself.  If you're a man capable of throwing bales of hay and bench pressing cattle, you can probably wield a heavy weapon with a good degree of finesse.  There should be 'some' damage bonus for hitting a guy square in the back of the head, or in the neck with an axe, or hewing halfway through his stomach while his back is turned.

Nevertheless, I won't argue with your ruling.  :)

As for thief skills, it has always annoyed me how ONLY thieves have a good chance of climbing a wall, for example.  If the wall has a fair amount of handholds, any athletic guy should have a fair chance of navigating it.

How would I go about investing in thief skills if I were to start out as a Fighter?  Is it possible to start as a Fighter/Thief and eventually drop the Thief?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on November 17, 2008, 11:14:29 PM
It just seems to me that you can quite easily nail a guy in the vitals when he isn't fully able to defend himself.  If you're a man capable of throwing bales of hay and bench pressing cattle, you can probably wield a heavy weapon with a good degree of finesse.  There should be 'some' damage bonus for hitting a guy square in the back of the head, or in the neck with an axe, or hewing halfway through his stomach while his back is turned.

Indeed there is...you get +4 to hit, and in my games attacking from behind against an opponent unaware of your presence enables you to toss two damage dice and pick the highest one.

QuoteNevertheless, I won't argue with your ruling.  :)

As for thief skills, it has always annoyed me how ONLY thieves have a good chance of climbing a wall, for example.  If the wall has a fair amount of handholds, any athletic guy should have a fair chance of navigating it.

You can choose Climbing as a nonweapon proficiency.  It's not quite as good as the thief skill, but still serviceable.  And just because a guy is strong doesn't necessarily mean he has the knack for climbing.  Climbing is a different skill-set from bench-pressing cattle.

QuoteHow would I go about investing in thief skills if I were to start out as a Fighter?  Is it possible to start as a Fighter/Thief and eventually drop the Thief?

You can change classes anytime.  If you went to, say, third level as fighter and decided to change to thief, you'd retain the fighter hit points and saves, but you'd have to stick with thieves' weapons and other abilities until you reached 4th level in thief. 

Or you can multiclass, which means you divide xp among the two classes and advance half as fast.

GrinningHound

QuoteYou can change classes anytime.  If you went to, say, third level as fighter and decided to change to thief, you'd retain the fighter hit points and saves, but you'd have to stick with thieves' weapons and other abilities until you reached 4th level in thief.

If I were to take 1 level in fighter, then x levels in thief (until I were satisfied with the skills), would I then be able to go back to fighter?

Don't thieves get 2 XP per gold piece found?  That might just make it worth it to multiclass.  :D

GrinningHound

Hmmm...I just went over the multi classing and dual classing rules in the PHB.  I am not enthused.  :(

If I were to take a couple levels in thief, i wouldn't be able to continue as a fighter.  Also, you need a 17 in the primary stat of the class you wanna switch to...not likely, that's a huge number, considering STR is going to be 18.

And with multiclassing, I'm not allowed to specialize in weapons.  :(

Maybe I'll just pick up the various Thief skills as nonweapon proficiencies.  They aren't specifically listed as a proficiency, but would I be able to pick up Move Silently, Hide in Shadows, and Detect Noise as a nonweapon proficiency?  I realize the percentage wouldn't be great, especially with armor, but it would be better than nothing, right?

Besides, what warrior who has survived a couple of battles hasn't learned how to be just a little sneaky and tactical?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: GrinningHound on November 18, 2008, 12:24:43 AM

If I were to take a couple levels in thief, i wouldn't be able to continue as a fighter.  Also, you need a 17 in the primary stat of the class you wanna switch to...not likely, that's a huge number, considering STR is going to be 18.

And with multiclassing, I'm not allowed to specialize in weapons.  :(

I waive the non-specialization rule for multiclassed characters.