Ranma 1/2 Anime RP Group Game! (Interest Check)

Started by LunarSage, June 21, 2011, 02:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Sweet, let me know what you come up with.  :-)

Are the creation rules clear?  I'm nervous that I didn't make them concise enough.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

DarkRose15

Quote from: LunarSage on June 27, 2011, 08:49:49 PM
Sweet, let me know what you come up with.  :-)

Are the creation rules clear?  I'm nervous that I didn't make them concise enough.
No no they're fine :) I'll let ya know if I have any issues, sorry I might not be able to come up with anything tonight, I finally managed to get over a really really nasty headache that lasted all day :( But now that my brain is functioning once more, I can start on my character sheet once I find a character image I like :)
Den of DarkRose: Ideas & Completed Games
Apologies & Absences *Updated 10/4/16*

Friends help you move; Real friends help you move the body.
Carl: Shh....do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness!
Paul: That's the sound of people drowning Carl!
Carl: That...is what forgiveness sounds like! Screaming then silence!

Josietta

Quote from: DarkRose15 on June 27, 2011, 08:53:24 PM
No no they're fine :) I'll let ya know if I have any issues, sorry I might not be able to come up with anything tonight, I finally managed to get over a really really nasty headache that lasted all day :( But now that my brain is functioning once more, I can start on my character sheet once I find a character image I like :)

Thats how it was for me too! I ended up lurking in deviant art for like 3 hours searching haha

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

DarkRose15

Quote from: Josietta on June 27, 2011, 08:57:25 PM
Thats how it was for me too! I ended up lurking in deviant art for like 3 hours searching haha
I know right? lol! Once I find the right character image then the character starts to come to life ^_^

Josietta

Quote from: DarkRose15 on June 27, 2011, 09:20:10 PM
I know right? lol! Once I find the right character image then the character starts to come to life ^_^

Thats exactly how it is for me!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

DarkRose15

Quote from: Josietta on June 27, 2011, 09:40:54 PM
Thats exactly how it is for me!
I just love Ranma so much tho. Rumiko Takashi is a genius!

DarkRose15

LunarSage

Sweet!  When you're ready post it up in the OOC thread and direct future chat to there. 

I look forward to seeing what you've come up with!

And yes, Rumiko wrote some really great stuff.  ;D

DarkRose15

Quote from: LunarSage on June 27, 2011, 10:11:00 PM
Sweet!  When you're ready post it up in the OOC thread and direct future chat to there. 

I look forward to seeing what you've come up with!

And yes, Rumiko wrote some really great stuff.  ;D
I remember reading all of Maison Ikkoku on my lunch breaks when I worked at a movie theater at the mall when I lived down in GA....good times. Now I'm collecting the anime which might run me a small fortune given that the price goes up and down...nabbed the first boxed set for 25 bucks tho hell yeah! This is the image I found, I wanted to check it with you first since it definitely isn't from Rumiko's style but I like it,
http://jumpkickpunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/meracle_3Dv2D.jpg

Insidious Word

Looks interesting.  Certainly looking forward to see what you'll do with it!  As you say, the art style is Rumiko, but at the end of the day its down to the personalities of the characters that will truly make them Ranma 1/2!  ;D

DarkRose15

Quote from: Insidious Word on June 28, 2011, 12:47:05 AM
Looks interesting.  Certainly looking forward to see what you'll do with it!  As you say, the art style is Rumiko, but at the end of the day its down to the personalities of the characters that will truly make them Ranma 1/2!  ;D
How very very true  ;D

LunarSage

Working on possibly inventing a system for the game should we decide to use dice.  The basic gist is as follows:

You would take Strength or Speed (plus any special training mods like Strength or Speed) (I'm leaning toward Speed as the "to hit" attribute since Strength is what factors into damage) and then take a number of d4s equal to your Martial Arts rating... roll the dice and take the highest die result.  ie if you have Martial Arts x3 and roll a 1, 2 and 4, you would take the 4 and add it to your modified Strength or Speed rating.  For this example let's use Ranma with his Speed of 6 and Speed x2.  He rolled a 4 so he would add it to 8 for a total of 12 to hit.  Ryoga tries to Dodge with his Speed of 5 and Speed x1.  He rolls a 1, 1 and 3, so he takes the 3 and adds it to 6 for 9.  Ranma hit Ryoga with a 12 to Ryoga's 9.  Since he got 2 over the 1 needed to hit him, Ranma gets to add a +2 modifier to his damage roll.  Ranma's Strength is 5 plus Strength x1 for 6... he then rolls 3d4 again (because of his Martial Arts x3) and gets a 3 as his highest result.  He adds that 3 to his base 6 plus 2 for the extra damage modifier and gets a total of 11.  Ryoga has a Durability of 6 plus Toughness x2.  That's a total of 8, so 8 points of Ranma's attack are absorbed with a total of 3 points going to Ryoga's hit points, which are (Durability+Toughness)x3.  Ryoga has 24 hit points before he's bonked so now he has 21 left.

Note:  I realize that a d4 is a very low variable, but that's done intentionally.  I personally feel that 1-20 or even 1-10 is too high a variable for an RPG.  Take any D20 game for example... until very high levels are reached, what you roll on the die is -far- more important than your actual stats.  I feel that ability and skill are less variable than most RPG systems take into account.  A guy who's a better swordsman than another guy by a good margin is going to defeat that guy 9 times out of 10.  If you're skilled at a trade, odds are you're not going to fail at performing your job... yet (as an example), your average Rogue in 3.5 D&D had around 8 to 10 (assuming a fairly high attribute) in a disarm trap skill... and the average trap DC even at level one was around 24-26.  That meant you needed to roll a 16 or higher everytime to disarm a basic trap.  That's a 75% chance of failure to do what your class was designed to do.  In my opinion, skill and ability should be far more important than the element of chance.  If you're good at hitting someone and the person you're hitting is extremely bad at dodging, barring some inconceivable fluke, they're going to get hit.  Likewise, Bobby Flay is probably not going to ruin the food he's preparing (Oh no!  I rolled a 1!).  I think a D4 gives a decent variable range to account for things like luck and such, but also accounts for the fact that if an opponent's skill/ability is 4 points or more higher, they're just plain beyond your ability.  Sometimes it's like that.  There's always someone bigger and badder, so they say.  :-)