A Merchant's Daughter [Steampunk] [Age Difference] [Long Term]

Started by BraveEarth, November 30, 2014, 03:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BraveEarth

Most of the setting I want to use for this takes a great deal of inspiration from The Difference Engine. I hope that the changes suddenly thrust upon the Victorian Era by introduction of technology and emphasis on intellectualism would be enough to open doorways for one of the two characters in this plot. The first person in question is the daughter of a merchant. Being middle class, she was well off enough to receive an education and she was young enough to be influenced by the changing winds of discourse and schools of thought that lead into the break in history. By the time the story starts she has carved out a small place for herself in the world, carrying on her family's profession. Meanwhile the younger of our pair comes from very meager beginnings and has no way to elevate himself from his station, trying all manners of getting money quickly which leads him to dabble in criminal acts. It's where these two meet, her having caught him in the act and him having no way to escape punishment. Yet for some reason she does not throw him to the law yet instead presses him into service promising his debt shall eventually be paid if he goes along, or he will be dealt with harshly if he tries anything else. Seeing no alternatives he agrees to the terms and thus the real story begins.

I want to do a sort of organic progression with how the story goes, not to say plot direction will solely fall on one person but I would like to just have these two develop on their own rather than putting them on rails towards something. The Age Difference is sort of up to decision although the boy will be 16 at the beginning of the game, as far as her age I'd rather discuss that with those who are interested. I know that this is a bit bare as far as plot goes but I think it has potential for an interesting character dynamic which is what I'm mainly looking for in the story.

BraveEarth