Monsterhearts, anyone? (interest check)

Started by Ouroboros, December 06, 2014, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Club could be  anything, from a study club to some kind of student body (unlikely as that is) to a club that helps prepare the members for joining the really real world. Whatever it is, it smells amazing in there, as Victoria knows what smells best when it burns. I've got it in ky head that her ritual hexing involves lots of fire.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Praetoria

Do you have room for another player?  Monsterhearts is one of my favorite RPGs :)

Ouroboros

Sure! We have a list of current players and skins a page back, and are at a number where one more would be reasonable.
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

deadmanshand

A club is an interesting idea as long as we pick the right one but since my brain is fried by retail work during this season I have no idea what it might be.

Ouroboros

This is likely a private college, so there's always the possibility of there being some sort of small group freshman orientation "class" or community service work groups if a club doesn't come to mind.

Praetoria

Quote from: Ouroboros on December 23, 2014, 04:06:05 PM
Sure! We have a list of current players and skins a page back, and are at a number where one more would be reasonable.

Great :) I'd like to claim The Mortal, since no Monsterhearts game is complete without one :)

Name: Diedre

Hot: 1
Cold: 0
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

True Love: You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen in your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else, give them a string and they become your new lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover's heart or fancy

Excuses Are My Armor: When you ignore some blatant problem with your lover or how they treat you, mark experience.

Down the Rabbit Hole: When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a String on you and you mark experience.

So, someone interested in having a kind of pretty, co-dependent girl in love with you? Guys or girls are fine for me

Cold Heritage

Is there some kind of criteria that the university uses to set admission that could be leveraged to get the disparate cast together?

An idea that came to me (though it requires WILD COINCIDENCE) is that all of our characters are beneficiaries of the same scholarship or bursary or grant, and as part of getting the money the recipient has to be part of the [dead white guy name here] Memorial Club. That club can then do charity work or something, so everyone can be united in compulsory drudgery.

If that doesn't fly it's no big deal with me, but otherwise I'm tapped out. My brain is also fried from holiday retail. I suggested a big, 100-level class because it's easy for everyone to take English Lit 101 or Philosophy 101.

Quote from: Praetoria on December 23, 2014, 05:25:50 PM
So, someone interested in having a kind of pretty, co-dependent girl in love with you? Guys or girls are fine for me

I am interested.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Praetoria

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 23, 2014, 05:31:48 PM

I am interested.

Possible. I am intrigued, but looking over the sheets, it would be a serious XP pump for you. We have sex, I trigger your Darkest Self, causing you to hunger for more sex, causing me to trigger your Darkest Self again, etc.

Cold Heritage

Hmm. Wasn't thinking about that. The first time Silas and Diedre were to have sex, it would just result in Silas gaining Hunger: Sex with Diedre and going into his Darkest Self. After that, I guess each instance of intercourse could net Silas 2 experience - one from the Sex Move, and one from Satiety. But until they have sex, being a Ghoul, Silas's probably not going to be all that interested intercourse, having those dulled emotions and all, which could pave the way for opportunities for Excuses Are My Armour and Down The Rabbit Hole.

Though who knows? There's a lot of exciting opportunities if any of the other characters were Diedre's lover. No rush to decide it yet.

Angie

I think Victoria would shy away from having any sort of lover (though that may not stop  Diedre). She's still growing into her powers and sees mortals as liabilities-as far as she knows, she's the only supernatural in town.

I'll post her history when I get a proper keyboard in front of me, not this touchscreen crap.

Angie

Well crap, I've been calling her Victoria, she's actually Vanessa. Oops. Maybe she uses Victoria as a nickname.

Name: Vanessa
Skin: Witch
Origin: Wiccan
Look: Lithe, Calculating Eyes
Stats: Hot -1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Moves: Hex-Casting, Sympathetic Tokens, Bide My Time
Hexes: Illusions, Ring of Lies
Sex Move: After sex, gain a sympathetic token (which can also be used as a string). They know about it. It's cool.
Darkest Self: Hex with impunity, revel in the power, and laugh as you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight!

History: Vanessa grew up in a house that was dominated by a man that could only be described as 'an asshole'. The kind of guy who thought that giving women the right to vote was the beginning of America's doom. He was also a devout Jehovah's Witness, and the Sundays drove Vanessa mad with boredom and absolute hatred for the Christian faith-all denominations. Her mother was no help-she silently agreed to her husband's beliefs. Thankfully, Vanessa was the eldest of four children, meaning that most of the time, it was the younger kids in trouble, and Vanessa could be alone for a few hours.

She became a Wiccan almost out of spite for her father, thinking it would be the most blasphemous religion to join. However, the longer she studied the path, the more she agreed with it, finding an inner peace she had been lacking for most of her life. Her father could rage all he wanted-he could not shake the serenity she had gained.

Of all the people in her life, Vanessa loved her grandmother, Sarah, the most. Even though she approached her upper 60s, she was still quite active, with very few health problems. And if Vanessa's father, Charles, feared anyone, it was his own mother. "I tell you, I never raised that boy to be the way he is!" She would say. With her Southern accent as soft as melted butter, she would regale Vanessa with tales of her youth. She was a hippie back in the days of free love, a protestor against the Vietnam War, and had taken many lovers-both male and female-before marrying and having Charles, her only son. "Never let anyone tell you that things are just the way they are-do somethin' about it." That was always Sarah's favorite advice.

One day, Vanessa was cleaning out Sarah's attic, and found a mysterious, leather bound tome. Within, she found the familiar tenets of Wicca, but she also found more. She found magic. Unwittingly, she tried to cast one of the spells upon herself. She felt nothing, so she figured nothing happened. But later, when Sarah asked her if she found anything interesting, she found herself unable to lie and say 'nothing'. She told Sarah about the book, and Sarah's face paled. "Oh my, I know that look on your face...You girl, you have the gift."

It turned out that not only was magic real, Sarah had once been a Witch, long ago. "I remember my old days with the Coven. We all swore an oath to each other, to bring no harm to others, no matter our temptations. We strayed, of course. Some days we would hex whoever we damn well felt like. But we always made up, and our hexes never did too much harm. Now me, I ain't got the gift no more. I can't work it like I used to. But I can teach you...if you swear that same oath. Remember child, no matter what power you have, this power ain't for hurting others. Right wrongs, help who you can, but never, ever strike first. Do you understand?" Vanessa swore to the oath, and began a much more educational class...

A year later, Vanessa graduated from high school, and was now a full fledged Witch. She graduated on the Honor Roll, and with the unknowing respect of every student-she had hexed every school bully to see demonic visions whenever they tried to abuse some poor kid, and she had gone so without revealing herself at all. Now afraid of this mysterious avenger, the bullies and jerks of the school had shaped up quick. She told Sarah of this, and she laughed. "Now that's what I want to hear my girl doing!"

Now she's come to this small town, this small Academy, to further her...mundane education while enhancing her magical power away from most prying eyes. Plus it gets her away from Charles. Little does she know what this place holds for her...

Now, I am open to discuss who I have tokens for (I get two for free) and who gets a free String on me for finding me rifling through someone's stuff.

Corinthi

A fae's focus on promises with a mortal's co-dependence could make for an intriguingly masochistic combo.

Also, Vanessa's welcome to have tokens for my Fae, Anders. He's not terribly careful about such things.

Angie

Quote from: Corinthi on December 23, 2014, 10:20:06 PM
A fae's focus on promises with a mortal's co-dependence could make for an intriguingly masochistic combo.

Also, Vanessa's welcome to have tokens for my Fae, Anders. He's not terribly careful about such things.

To be honest, she'd probably want several. She probably sees Anders as a loose cannon and ready to blow at any moment, possibly becoming the one he hates so much. She figures he should be on a leash, and who better to hold it then her? Yes, she is that overconfident. And it's not a slam against Anders, I just get the feeling that that's how she would see him.

EDIT: Also, I think Vanessa, with her history, is going to prefer the "spellcasting does you 1 Harm" thing if she has to pick one of those effects. "Do what thou wilt, if it harm none"-well, she can harm herself, at least. It'll help her sleep at night.

deadmanshand

Diedre and Bram would be a nasty relationship. It would involve a lot of blood and pain.

Praetoria

It's a possibility, yes. Their sex moves are kind of redundant, though ;) Either way, Diedre would get beaten up some.

Angie

I'm curious. You mention in Bram's backstory that he "becomes a great hyena", what would you say to Vanessa having a bit of hyena hair but having no idea it's a token for you?

Ouroboros

Hey, just so you know, I would rather keep the strings and such separate from this thread. Jus so we have it for reference in the actual game ooc... And to that end, are there any additional ideas regarding the club/game name, or would you prefer MC fiat?

Cold Heritage

I'm kind of warming to the idea of all of the characters living in the same dorm, and there's a movie night weekly in the dorm common room, and they could call it a club to get funding from the uni for renting movies and such. That way it's relatively easy for everyone to be a part of it, no matter how disparate they may be.

Otherwise, I also throw my lot in with MC fiat.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Cold Heritage

My desire for Monsterhearts outweighs my desire not to be the annoying one who pokes things. Any updates on the horizon, Ouroboros?

Ouroboros

Yeah... I was sort of hoping for more feedback, especially given the recent holidays, but I might have waited too long. I might get the ooc up when I am at a computer this morning, otherwise Sunday. And from there we should be good to get started, unless we do need to do more recruitment.

Angie

I've just been waiting. And biding my time, like a good Witch! ;D

Ouroboros

Cool. You down with MC fiat for the game name and the link between everyone being the dorm?