Learning R and/or Python

Started by DarklingAlice, June 19, 2011, 12:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

Not a computer problem exactly, but still probably fits here:

In the post-master's degree era of my life I am doing my best to constantly keep adding interesting skills to my curriculum vitae. Having spent the last week or so gaining a basic proficiency in IBM/SPSS, I am realizing more and more the utility of statistical software for bioinformatics.

So I want to take the next step and learn how to assemble simple programs to deal with mathematic/statistic problems and have had both R and Python recommended to me. My question is: where do I begin? If anyone knows of a good place to start (with a very basic knowledge of computer science) I would be most appreciative. Obviously free online resources are the best, but I am also pretty adept at tracking down books.

Thanks!
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Vekseid

Python is designed as a learner's language. I learned it by grabbing a project I was fond of and improving on it. It's very easy to pick up on, but diving in has always been my preference. It also has nicely extensive online documentation.

Not at all familiar with R though, sorry : /

DarklingAlice

Thank you! Exactly the sort of thing I needed and was somehow failing to find on my own.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

WhiteyChan

If you need any help with Python, I can probably help, I've got quite a bit of experience with it now.