American Horror Story-esque, Scifi twist! Recruiting Now!

Started by Red Offerings, July 24, 2013, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

Hello!

So if you're at least a little familiar with the show American Horror Story - individual horror tales - then this won't be too far fetched for you. Notice how I added -esque to the end there though? Well I am not aiming to reenact any of the stories we've seen. What I am considering would be in a futuristic/scifi setting. If you have seen the movie Event Horizon, you'll get what I'm aiming for.

Mankind has ventured far into the stars and well beyond the borders of our galaxy. However, much like the ocean on Earth, despite how far man has reached, there is still a vast portion that has not been documented or explored. One such portion of space has barely begun earning a reputation due to the mysterious disappearances of ships that enter the sector. Similar to Earth's Bermuda Triangle, this pocket of the void is host to powerful storms because of the ternary star system it belongs in. Cataclysmic radiation storms are one of the more popular occurrences as these three suns feed off of one another. This pocket of space is exceptionally large and once travelers pass the outer rim of our own solar system, many of them must pass through it to some degree or another in order to continue on, or be willing to lose months of travel time by going completely around the sector. Of those who have passed through and survived, tales of derelict star ships dotting the void, ghostly radio broadcasts seeking aid or altogether garbled eerie voices are amongst the popular sources of these stories which are typically whispered on the breath of a drunken captain or the occasional mercenary group.

The trouble really began when the United Space Counsel learned of the unfortunate disappearance of its prototype deep-space ferrying vessel, the Lorentia Titania. This vessel was designed to swiftly take government personnel from inner system to the various counsels, governmental way stations, and military bases that the USC had built in the wild black yonder in its effort to connect with "alien races" and what have you. It was a multimillion dollar ship sporting a SLIP Drive engine which would allow it to travel through space at much faster speeds. Up until that point, the losses were a concern but still negligible.

Lorentia Titania:

Carried USC Government Personnel, Military Units, Federal Prisoners (to way stations for quarry duty), and regular civilians of wealth needing to travel out space.

To date, the USC has not made any serious contact with alien races. There have been minor attempts made, but nothing concrete. Much of the other life bearing planets are well outside of the Milky Way Galaxy.

The types of roles available for this portion of the story are:

Members of the Staff and Crew of the Council Recovery Vessel as well as the assortment of denizens on the Titania. This includes prisoners, military personnel, crew, civilians and federal employees. I will provide more information of just what happened to the Titania and its occupants for interested parties though I hope you have a general idea at this point.

Note: I do not want random super models for character pictures. It's overdone and dumb. Players can choose to play a good looking character, that's fine, but the image should fit the role closely enough.

The aim of this role play is to be largely player driven, with characters doing what they please to and around other characters. As the writer, I will include twists and guidance as needed as well as larger details that will impact things indirectly and/or directly.

This Story will have the following types of situations: violence, death, some gore, rape, seduction, intrigue, etc. How bad it gets depends entirely on the players.

Please indicate interest here.

Profile Skeleton:
[b]name:[/b] (character name)
[b]age:[/b]
[b]gender:[/b]
[b]occupational specialty:[/b]
[b]any bionics or cybernetics?:[/b][/color] (don't get too crazy)
[b]please indicate United Star Counsel or Lorentia Titania:[/b]
[b]marital or familial status:[/b]
[b]specialized weaponry:[/b] (if any)
[b]visual:[/b][/color] (physical description or image here. remember, please no super models)
[b]personality:[/b][/color] (personality description, 1 paragraph)
[b]background:[/b][/color] (character history, 1 or 2 paragraphs.)

You may notice that I ask for short descriptions. That is because these are not going to be long term stories. More likely than not, most, if not all, characters will die during a story. So don't pour your heart and soul into character creation! And don't fret, you can always join the next one!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

Wow. I typed all of that with my iPad! Go me!

Edit: I'd also like to add that since I typed this with my iPad, throughout my work day, there might be points where it seems disjointed. If something is confusing or poorly worded, just ask and I can clarify. Also, if you point out the confusion it'll help me clear things up in the main post.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Red Offerings

FYI, I added context to what the stories in this roleplay will contain. It is in bold near the bottom of the main post. This role play, much like American Horror Story, is not for the tame.

arkhos

Love the show, and love your idea.

I was thinking of possibly playing a convict meant for hard-labor in the quarries, but escapes because of the events that take place.

He could dish out some non-con (if there are any ladies interested in such a thing), kill off any players/NPCs that need/want to be killed, beaten, etc, If that is not an option or not needed, I could play him as a prisoner who might take this chance to try to atone for his crimes.

Just general thoughts for the moment.

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Frelance

I have never watched the show but I have heard it is good.

I am definitely interested in this. I am thinking either playing an Engineer or maybe a prisoner who has made it through this section of space multiple times on a ship that skimmed close than most to the stars and made it out each time.

Those are just rough ideas for now but I am interested to see what else you have in mind for this roleplay.
Evolution is an arms race

Red Offerings

Quote from: arkhos on July 24, 2013, 05:53:54 PM
Love the show, and love your idea.

I was thinking of possibly playing a convict meant for hard-labor in the quarries, but escapes because of the events that take place.

He could dish out some non-con (if there are any ladies interested in such a thing), kill off any players/NPCs that need/want to be killed, beaten, etc, If that is not an option or not needed, I could play him as a prisoner who might take this chance to try to atone for his crimes.

Just general thoughts for the moment.

-ark

Hey ark! Let me PM you since you wish to play a denizen. There's some things you should know that I won't put out here in the recruiting thread yet.

Also, while we're at it, this is a no-holds barred sort of role play. Since I'm allowing violence, rape, etc, if someone joins, they need to be open to all of these things to happen to their characters. What happens, happens.

Quote from: Frelance on July 24, 2013, 05:55:07 PM
I have never watched the show but I have heard it is good.

I am definitely interested in this. I am thinking either playing an Engineer or maybe a prisoner who has made it through this section of space multiple times on a ship that skimmed close than most to the stars and made it out each time.

Those are just rough ideas for now but I am interested to see what else you have in mind for this roleplay.

Hi Frelance! I will PM you as well. :)

Lorelei

Hi,
This sounds really interesting.  Off the top of my head, I would be interested in playing a scientist, a colonial marine or a journalist. 

-L

PS:  How often would we need to post? 

Red Offerings

Quote from: Lorelei on July 24, 2013, 08:01:13 PM
Hi,
This sounds really interesting.  Off the top of my head, I would be interested in playing a scientist, a colonial marine or a journalist. 

-L

PS:  How often would we need to post?

So you'd want to be on the LT?

And I don't know, couple times a week ought to be good. If you can do more sometimes that's fine.

Lorelei

Quote from: Red Offerings on July 24, 2013, 08:12:37 PM
So you'd want to be on the LT?

And I don't know, couple times a week ought to be good. If you can do more sometimes that's fine.

Sure, sounds like fun :-)

Red Offerings

Quote from: Lorelei on July 24, 2013, 10:23:56 PM
Sure, sounds like fun :-)
Alright since you're interested in being on that ship, then I sent you the details via PM that you'll want to consider when making a character.

gsptGoddess

I was ready to join simply by reading the title! I love this show (and can't wait for the new season to come out). The sci-if twist is great.

You mentioned availability for staff. What say you about a possible female pilot? Brand new to the USC but with a seemingly impeccable flying record. In reality her history of piloting space vessels is from life as a 'space pirate' of sorts. The only reason she joins the USC is to snatch up the chance to fly into the mysterious area and loot any deserted spacecraft that may be floating by, a task her crew was too frightened to go through with.

Perhaps if anyone is interested, she could even have a loyal first mate on board?

That's just a rough idea, though. Either way, I'd love to join this story, so let me know your feelings! :)

Red Offerings

Quote from: gsptGoddess on July 25, 2013, 08:02:42 AM
I was ready to join simply by reading the title! I love this show (and can't wait for the new season to come out). The sci-if twist is great.

You mentioned availability for staff. What say you about a possible female pilot? Brand new to the USC but with a seemingly impeccable flying record. In reality her history of piloting space vessels is from life as a 'space pirate' of sorts. The only reason she joins the USC is to snatch up the chance to fly into the mysterious area and loot any deserted spacecraft that may be floating by, a task her crew was too frightened to go through with.

Perhaps if anyone is interested, she could even have a loyal first mate on board?

That's just a rough idea, though. Either way, I'd love to join this story, so let me know your feelings! :)

Hi! Glad to have you interested. Your character idea should be fine! I'll post a profile skeleton tonight. Profiles won't need to be long or overtly detailed.

gsptGoddess

Lorelei

New character idea.  I would like to be the ship psychiatrist :-)

Red Offerings

Quote from: Lorelei on July 25, 2013, 10:16:37 AM
New character idea.  I would like to be the ship psychiatrist :-)

For the recovery vessel?

Lorelei

Red Offerings

Quote from: Lorelei on July 25, 2013, 11:52:15 AM
No, I'm fine with being on the LT.

Oh, great! Arkhos is also making a character for the LT, you guys are welcome to PM one another to get a basis. A psychiatrist wil make a uniquely sadistic persona.

Red Offerings

Update - profile skeleton is up. You may either post your profile here or send it to me via PM.

Sara Nilsson

oo looks interesting. lets see if i can cobble something together tomorrow when i finally have a day off

Red Offerings

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on July 25, 2013, 07:28:48 PM
oo looks interesting. lets see if i can cobble something together tomorrow when i finally have a day off

That works! :)

gsptGoddess

Name: Devianna Briggs a.k.a. The Pirate 'Captain Red'
Occupational Specialty: Large to Giant Vessel Pilot
Any Bionics or Cybernetics?: Thin, flexible magnetic plating beneath the skin of each of her outter thighs, stretching from her hips to just above her kneecaps; virtually invisible beneath her body art
United Star Counsel or Lorentia Titania: United Star Counsel
Marital or Familial Status: Single ; No family outside of her crew
Specialized Weaponry: Two quick-fire pistols able to form to most old-world ammunition, specialized to electrify anything that passes through the barrel
Visual:

Personality: Devianna is strong-willed and hard-headed. There is little to nothing, in her mind, that is past the realm of possibilities. She is a fire-cracker of a woman with a strong spirit and a surprisingly sadistic sense of humor. When a goal is set in front of her, it is completed, regardless of the possible consequences of capture or death; who worries about such trivial things, right?
Background: The daughter of the renowned Captain Dread, Devianna spent her entire life floating through space. Her father taught her everything there was to know about pirating: how to dock properly, what to loot first, even the bloodiest way to kill a man. Essentially, that's how she got her name, Captain Red. Her first big score landed her enough bounty to cover an entire new fleet of vessels, crew and all. Being the greedy bastard her was, her father tried to loot it from her - his own flesh and blood. An attempt to kill his daughter for the money ended in one of the most gruesome deaths ever recorded within the realm of pirates.
Six years later, having taken control of his crew, Captain Red proposes a new flight plan to her crew, one that will lead them into the center of the mysterious graveyard that had taken the lives and loot of thousands. Their pansy-like refusal brought her to the USC as a pilot. While they had no idea who she really was, her flying record, surprisingly, didn't need to be faked. Once she managed to snag the pilot position on the Council Recovery Vessel, flying into the mess of death would be a breeze, as well as flying out with the USC's own vessel.

Red Offerings

gsptGoddess

Red Offerings

Okay, the aim now is to actively recruit, especially males, if even just a couple more to even things out a bit. I'd like more players in the LT because that's where the fun is coming from.nso if you know people with preferences, please feel free to link them here to take a gander. I will recruit through the weekend and hopefully we will begin rolling by Monday.

gsptGoddess