News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

7th Sea is coming back

Started by HairyHeretic, November 03, 2015, 03:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

http://www.alderac.com/blog/2015/11/03/a-return-to-7th-sea/

http://johnwickpresents.com/updates/a-special-jwp-announcement/

According to John Wick, new edition next year.

I think we have a few fans of the game here, so when I saw this I thought I'd share :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AmberStarfire

The news I read was that it's meant to show up on Kickstarter either at the end of this month or beginning of next month. They're adding Poland to the list of countries, changing some of the mythology, as well as the game system, and John Wick's been posting snippets from the new maps on his Facebook page.

Most of that is probably contained in the links you posted, which I read a while ago, but I thought I'd share. :)

HairyHeretic

They've been promoing some new / upcoming stuff in the last few days, and it looks like the 7th Sea world is expanding beyond the countries known from the 1st edition. We're going to be seeing a kickstarter starting up in the next few days as well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

Sign up for their mailing list. There's stuff on there which hasn't been shared elsewhere, including a draft of the quickstart rules. They mentioned this on their facebook page, so I think I'm okay mentioning it here :)

I'd like to have a try at that, if we had enough people with access to the rules, get an idea for how 2nd edition is changing, because there do look to be some interesting mechanical changes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Kickstarter should be up tomorrow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

So, the kickstarter has been running for a few days now. The initial fully funded mark, $30,000, was apparently hit in 7 minutes. It went over the half million funded mark last night, and still has almost a month to run.

Looks like people want 7th Sea back in a BIG way.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AmberStarfire

And it's assured that it will be. :) More donations means more merchandise and stuff, very likely. I would definitely like to see that.

Wheeler97

Hi all...

I am not very familiar with 7th Sea, but I was intrigued by the Kickstarter... it seems really generous to receive every 1st and 2nd Edition book PDF for only $40, and get the hardback rulebook for only $20 more.

I'm tempted to back it just to have them as reading material if I don't get in or run a group any time soon.

Is there a good place to find a good overview of the system and setting? I suppose I could back for $1 initially and get access to their Quick Start rules, but cancelling pledges is usually frowned upon.

Thanks

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Wheeler97 on February 13, 2016, 12:52:06 PM
Hi all...

I am not very familiar with 7th Sea, but I was intrigued by the Kickstarter... it seems really generous to receive every 1st and 2nd Edition book PDF for only $40, and get the hardback rulebook for only $20 more.

I'm tempted to back it just to have them as reading material if I don't get in or run a group any time soon.

Is there a good place to find a good overview of the system and setting? I suppose I could back for $1 initially and get access to their Quick Start rules, but cancelling pledges is usually frowned upon.

Thanks

There's the Alderac page for 7th Sea:
http://www.alderac.com/7thsea/about.html

It's a bit disorganised on the main page but it has a lot of good links. I notice some that used to be around aren't anymore, but there's a lot of information on the net as well. There are different compendiums out there (including an official one), which are mainly rule and background adjustments. I tend to avoid those personally but they have a lot of good information in some of them.

I noticed there's a wiki here:
http://7th-sea.wikia.com/wiki/7th_sea_Wiki

HairyHeretic

The setting is basically a fantasy version of medieval Europe, with strange ancient ruins of some long dead race dotted around the place. It's a Swashbuckling setting, so fairly cinematic. I'll let someone more familiar with the rules give you the overview on those, but basically its a number of d10s rolled, some kept, versus a target number that increases as the difficulty of the task does. If you've ever played Legend of the Five Rings, it's a similar mechanic.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AmberStarfire

I GM'd it for about 5 years so I know it fairly well. I'm just failing to describe it as well as I mean to. :)

Basically you had 2 main rule systems for it. Alderac d10, which came first, and which was very similar to the system used in first ed Legend of the Five Rings. Then they came out with a d20 version (Swashbuckling Adventures), which had a campaign settings rulebook to use it alongside the d20 rules. Most or all of the Swashbuckling Adventures sourcebooks have rules in them for the d10 system as well. The d10 system is way better than d20, IMO, and it's what most people online tend to play on the sites I've been on.

The system's not too complicated, and d10 was pretty good except for their mass combat rules, which seemed inordinately complicated to me. A lot of people who ran their own games on other roleplaying sites used to have house rules that adapted the rules in the ways they wanted, and I did that too. I'm curious to try out the new system (I haven't with the advance rules they released yet). It looks like an adapted version of d10 from what I've seen.

Basically the game is set in a fantasy version of 17th century earth called Theah, only with higher technology than that in some places, and it has things like swashbuckling, sorcery, secret societies and politics. You'll find spies, pirates, bandits, and musketeers, and knights, nobles, peasants, scholars, musicians, archaeologists, etc. You have fantasy versions of the larger countries in Europe (France = Montaigne; Spain = Castille; Germany = Eisen; England = Avalon; The Highland Marches = Scotland; Inismore: Ireland etc), and also other countries beyond that like Asia = Cathay, Russia = Ussura, Crescent Empire = The Middle East; and other places. Then you have the world of the sidhe (Bryn Bresail). It blends a fantasy take on the world we know with fairytales, and myths, and stories, and comes up with a game that's all round pretty awesome.

Wheeler97

So the feedback I received was enough that I pledged $1 to check out their Quick Start ruleset. I have thus far raised my pledge to the $40 level to get all the 2nd and 1st Edition books as PDF. I might go up to $60 to get a hardback copy of the rulebook, but I haven't decided yet. I'm backing another project that will be ending right around the same time, so my checking account might hate me.

It looks like the system is roll d10s, and keep them all to form Raises of 10s. Your dice quantity for each Risk (skill test) is equal to the ranks in both the applicable Trait AND Skill, plus bonus dice that can come from various sources, which include Hero Points or GM rewards for creative description of the action. The system does seem very "cinematic" and not so much meant as a kind of carefully measured simulation (I'm familiar with Pathfinder, for example). I really like the Fantasy Flight Star Wars systems for this reason.

There are a lot of books and extras being unlocked, so the only concern is over how long these will take as they continue to set higher stretch goals. They have said they do not intend to stretch production into 2017 if they can help it. At least the PDFs will be made available as each is finished, rather than all at once.

HairyHeretic

Do we have enough people with access to the quickstart rules to have a crack at that scenario?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AmberStarfire

I have access to them, so could give it a go.

Wheeler97

I'd be willing! They did just release a 2.0 version with updates from feedback they were getting.

HairyHeretic

I shall have to go get that then

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AmberStarfire

Is that a new version of the advance rules?

Wheeler97

Quote from: AmberStarfire on February 27, 2016, 08:07:12 AM
Is that a new version of the advance rules?

Yes! Apologies, I should have been clearer. Regarding HairyHeretic's suggestion that a group give the quick start/advance rules a go, I was pointing out that they just released a 2.0 update to the quick start scenario based on feedback. I haven't downloaded the updated one yet...

LoosCannon

Now to convince my group to take a hiatus from our current campaign and run this... You just made my weekend!

AmberStarfire

Word reached me that since the Kickstarter finished (over $1.3 million), they're going to be looking for more writers to work on the forthcoming books.

A call for writers is supposed to be going up on John Wick's site in the near future.

Bloodied Porcelain

I'm so excited for this. I backed it at 440. :) I'll have a special edition of the core book and six of the other books, plus all the misc add ons like maps and such. ^.^
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

AmberStarfire

Those options look incredible. We backed the Kickstarter for enough to get the hardback of the core rulebook (I plan to run a campaign of it further down the line), as well as the PDFs from the stretch goals. I already have pretty much all the first ed 7th Sea books. It's the game I know best out of all system games, and I've poured years into running it and playing it. I couldn't not get a copy.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: AmberStarfire on March 17, 2016, 09:13:07 AM
Those options look incredible. We backed the Kickstarter for enough to get the hardback of the core rulebook (I plan to run a campaign of it further down the line), as well as the PDFs from the stretch goals. I already have pretty much all the first ed 7th Sea books. It's the game I know best out of all system games, and I've poured years into running it and playing it. I couldn't not get a copy.

Yeah, I almost switched over to the 480(I think) level that would give me hard copies of everything, but I figured I can live with only having PDFs of the other five source books while I save up to get hardcopies. xD The maps and such were too good to pass up, since a lot of the add ons won't be available after the kickstarter.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

AmberStarfire

You might find they'll end up quite valuable in time. So what are your plans for your books? Are you thinking of running one or playing in one?

I have my eye on a sorte deck but I'll probably look for one on Ebay further down the line.