Idea for a unique competition (FUDGE system)

Started by DancerTamara, January 25, 2007, 04:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DancerTamara

I have an idea for a game that would require a system to work- though I'm thinking something very simple like FUDGE, which is not only an easy system but is a free download for anyone that wants it.

I got the idea originally from the Piers Anthony "Blue Adept" series, in which there is a massive Olympics of sorts every few years.  There are competitions in practically every field of human endeavor, from craft skills to athletics skills to combat skills to artistic skills to, of course, sexual skills.  The world in which this occurs has a massive slave population, with a small contingent of citizens on the top of society.  Winners in the Olympics can win citizenship as the ultimate prize.  Even those placing lesser in the overall competition can win money and other valuable prizes.  Slaves in this society aren't maltreated, just not full citizens, and are under the command/ownership of a citizen, who keeps the vast majority of the benefit of their labor. 

The Olympics are a huge undertaking, and in addition to the competitions, there are relationships formed, intrigues carried out, and all sorts of other things. 

Anyone interested?

Rayve13

Don't forget the fact that all the serfs are naked all the time and sterilized (reversible procedure, so when their tenure ends or their employers decide tehy can breed they are able to).

I'd be interested, since the Apprentice/Adept series was a pretty interesting one. Would you be using the base Photon setting, or after the two frames had been merged (allowing magical beings to exist in hte science world)?

DancerTamara

Hmmm.  I hadn't decided.  Honestly it's been years since I read the series, I was only going to loosely base it on the Olympics idea, not specifically the details of Photon. 

MechanicalImpulses

I never read the books...  but the idea peaks my interests.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8276.0 Ons and offs

Switch with heavy submissive tendencies.

I found my cattleprod!

Silkcat

Definitely a neat idea.  I like the idea of slaves as being a bit different than some heavy concepts I see here in that they are valuable property that costs a lot of money to buy, maintain, etc.  As such, the owners expect value from them but don't generally want to damage them (or kill them).  The extreme measures only come when the owners no longer can get value from them, and still there may be preference to trade them or a sense of nobless obligee (bad spelling I'm sure) that a Master or Mistress is disreputable if they can't take care of their slaves.

So these slaves are very valuable: they can win reputation and money for their owner.  Which also means they may be driven hard by their masters, according to the master's style.

Having said all that, I sadly really shouldn't join due to time constraints, but I'll have fun watching!

(who me, a voyeur?  no!!!.... *peek*)
Ons and Offs - Story Ideas - Stories Past and Present - Apologies and Absences
---
No, the avatar image isn't me, but it is a good representation of the characters I like.

Rayve13

Technically, they are voluntary slaves. People sign up for a 20 year term as a Serf, during which time they are basically slaves. At the end of that time, they get paid what amounts to a mid-sized fortune, and must immediately leave the planet.

The Games give serfs a chance to earn extended time as a serf (many really like the system, and don't want to leave when time is up), and the grand prize winner earns Citizenship (becoming a master/mistress and getting to wear clothes & control Serfs).

cassyk001

I'd be interested in this as well! Sounds like an unusual concept. You would have us, then, competing, I suppose?

DancerTamara

Yes.  The competitions would be the main focus of the game.  I'm working on getting together the guidelines and stuff for Fudge- it's a very flexible statted system, with a lot determined by the GM.  It's based more on descriptive stats then numbers, but there is a simple method for dicing failure or success and opposed rolls which is all we need for this.