Pathfinder: The Swamp (Extreme)

Started by Jaded, January 04, 2014, 04:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerial

So I'm just spitballing here... but are the Advanced Class Guide Playtest classes available for use? I was thinking Brawler or Investigator.

Jaded

Quote from: Xerial on January 09, 2014, 07:24:53 AM
So I'm just spitballing here... but are the Advanced Class Guide Playtest classes available for use? I was thinking Brawler or Investigator.

Do you mean the Brawler archetype for the Fighter from Ultimate Combat and the Investigator archetype for the Rogue from the Advanced Player's Guide?  If so, those are fine.  If not (if they are full 3rd party classes) they wouldn't be allowed.

Ershin

Aww, just noticed that another Rogue's been added, guess I was too late in getting my Ninja built and a background made for her. Ah well, that's just how things go, I guess.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Jaded on January 09, 2014, 06:23:21 PM
Do you mean the Brawler archetype for the Fighter from Ultimate Combat and the Investigator archetype for the Rogue from the Advanced Player's Guide?  If so, those are fine.  If not (if they are full 3rd party classes) they wouldn't be allowed.

Nope, neither. The Brawler and Investigator are two new 'hybrid' classes from the Advanced Class Guide, which is not yet published. Brawler is a sort of  Monk-Fighter hybrid, unarmed combat wearing armor and a pool of 'floating' bonus feats with limited-duration use. Investigator is a Rogue-Alchemist blend, who plays a lot like the old 3.5 Factotum (down to and including a Grit-like resource called Inspiration).

Free playtest document Here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/advancedClassGuide

Jaded

Quote from: Ershin on January 09, 2014, 06:42:38 PM
Aww, just noticed that another Rogue's been added, guess I was too late in getting my Ninja built and a background made for her. Ah well, that's just how things go, I guess.

Ah, sorry.  I wasn't sure if you were still interested, my mistake.  :-(

I'm fine with you still joining if you'd like, though I don't know how much overlap there is between a Ninja and the other Rogues.  Either way, I'm not opposed to having some duplicate abilities. 

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 09, 2014, 06:45:09 PM
Nope, neither. The Brawler and Investigator are two new 'hybrid' classes from the Advanced Class Guide, which is not yet published. Brawler is a sort of  Monk-Fighter hybrid, unarmed combat wearing armor and a pool of 'floating' bonus feats with limited-duration use. Investigator is a Rogue-Alchemist blend, who plays a lot like the old 3.5 Factotum (down to and including a Grit-like resource called Inspiration).

Free playtest document Here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/advancedClassGuide

Ah, thanks.  If it is from paizo and is free I guess it is alright. 

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Jaded on January 09, 2014, 07:20:22 PM

I'm fine with you still joining if you'd like, though I don't know how much overlap there is between a Ninja and the other Rogues.  Either way, I'm not opposed to having some duplicate abilities. 

Ah, thanks.  If it is from paizo and is free I guess it is alright.

More the merrier I say.  :-)

One of the good things about rogues is that each individual one can be different.

TheGlyphstone

We're level 1, anyways. The differentiation available to us between characters of the same class is almost nonexistent, assuming you're not deliberately building off-type.

GypsyBook

Is there still space for someone in this?

Jaded

Quote from: GypsyBook on January 09, 2014, 08:51:27 PM
Is there still space for someone in this?

There is still room for one if you'd like to join.  After that it will be full.

Ershin

Quote from: Jaded on January 09, 2014, 07:20:22 PM

Nah, Glyphstone is right, at lower levels it's hard to see any differences between two rogue like classes - especially at level one.  It takes a few levels to notice any real difference at all unless the Ninja dives fully into their Poison Use ability (which I wasn't really planning to as I'd been considering taking the Cats Claws alternate racial ability to use natural weapons and I don't think poisoning myself would have been a smart thing to do) as at level one both classes are otherwise defined by Sneak Attack.
It's not really until the Ninja gets its own versions of the Rogue tricks or its ki abilities that it begins to stand out from its parent class.

While I'm still interested... I no longer have any idea what to play, haha.

Miroque

Why not have two rogues? or ninjas? I dont see any problem of multiple "same classes" in group. It can be more of an joining thing, that dividing.

Group of rogues, forming an gang.. group of ninjas form clan... without taking anything away, instead adding to the mix. Character personality is the factor that makes the diffrence.

But if you think of addding something new to the mix, some divine caster might do wonders. Oracle for example (if feeling that religion is now your forte). Or pure fighter type. (I´we been reading the alternative character classes, and Hunter seems pretty intresting)

FragarachZ

Just play whatever you like. Don't worry about the system or the math. It's not a computer game where abilitier overlap too much, we have a GM. Roll whatever you want to play and stuff will take care of itself. :)
O&O

Xerial

Just so my brain doesn't hurt: Who do we have so far?

Aslo... another gal to play... this'll be different for me.

Miroque

Quote from: FragarachZ on January 10, 2014, 06:23:39 AM
Just play whatever you like. Don't worry about the system or the math. It's not a computer game where abilitier overlap too much, we have a GM. Roll whatever you want to play and stuff will take care of itself. :)

+1!

Xerial

Given the stated need for something more martial minded, I'm thinking an Elven Slayer might do quite nicely. Ranger/Rogue hybrid, focused on tracking targets, and doing nasty things to them with a bow.

Muse

I think divine caster/healer is the biggest hole int he party, actually, Xerial. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

Strangefate

Hi,

Is this all filled up?  If not what classes are you light on? 

If so, no problem.  Maybe I'll catch it next time around or can fill-in later if someone drops.   :-)

SF
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Jaded

Quote from: Ershin on January 10, 2014, 04:54:31 AM
Nah, Glyphstone is right, at lower levels it's hard to see any differences between two rogue like classes - especially at level one.  It takes a few levels to notice any real difference at all unless the Ninja dives fully into their Poison Use ability (which I wasn't really planning to as I'd been considering taking the Cats Claws alternate racial ability to use natural weapons and I don't think poisoning myself would have been a smart thing to do) as at level one both classes are otherwise defined by Sneak Attack.
It's not really until the Ninja gets its own versions of the Rogue tricks or its ki abilities that it begins to stand out from its parent class.

While I'm still interested... I no longer have any idea what to play, haha.

I'm not sure if you don't want to play a Ninja.  A healer type would be good.  But I am fine with you playing a Ninja if you'd like.

Quote from: Xerial on January 10, 2014, 06:28:22 AM
Just so my brain doesn't hurt: Who do we have so far?

Aslo... another gal to play... this'll be different for me.

anne sophie - Monk
EroticFantasyAuthor - Sorcerer
Ershin - ?
Faeli - Ranger
FragarachZ - Paladin
GypsyBook - ?
Miroque - Sorcerer
Muse - Magus
PhantomPistoleer - Rogue
RubySlippers - Rogue
TheGlyphstone - Alchemist
Xerial - ?

Quote from: Strangefate on January 10, 2014, 05:35:26 PM
Hi,

Is this all filled up?  If not what classes are you light on? 

If so, no problem.  Maybe I'll catch it next time around or can fill-in later if someone drops.   :-)

SF

It is full at the moment.  Sorry!  Thanks for your interest.  If someone drops I'll try to let you know.

Xerial

Healer is a role I don't usually take, but I can look into cooking one up.

Also, I know it was preferred, but are all the PCs female?

FragarachZ

So far we have one male rogue I think, the others are all bold and beautiful women looking for adventure :)
O&O

Ershin

Quote from: Jaded on January 10, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
I'm not sure if you don't want to play a Ninja.  A healer type would be good.  But I am fine with you playing a Ninja if you'd like.

Thank you for being so patient with me, but I've recently been accepted into a couple of other games and likely wouldn't have time for this one now - I apologise for taking up your time, and thank you for being so accomodating.

Xerial

I was thinking a Male Shaman, all 'healing mojo' and whatnot, if acceptable.

Jaded

Quote from: Ershin on January 12, 2014, 03:35:32 PM
Thank you for being so patient with me, but I've recently been accepted into a couple of other games and likely wouldn't have time for this one now - I apologise for taking up your time, and thank you for being so accomodating.

Ah, okay.  Sorry to see you go and good luck with your other games. :-)

Quote from: Xerial on January 12, 2014, 03:46:53 PM
I was thinking a Male Shaman, all 'healing mojo' and whatnot, if acceptable.

That's fine. 

Xerial

Working on a sheet. Formatting is proving a pain.