What just happened to my computer?

Started by Galactic Druid, August 22, 2012, 04:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

If the antivirus you switched to is the one recommended on the other thread, that's not an issue. Looks like the vagaries of electronic old age, unfortunately.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

mayovagn

Drives fail. It sucks. This is why we always insist on timely and comprehensive backups of all personal data. *Grins*
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Galactic Druid

Update; my friend in IT had a SATA drive to donate to my cause. It's only 160GB, so it's a temporary fix until I get a bigger one (which is, incidentally, what she said.), but at least it'll get me on E for a few weeks until I can afford a nice sexy new drive for my gaming.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

mayovagn

Glad to hear it Guy. *hugs*

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Oreo

Yay for friends in IT. It's good to know you will be up and running on more than your phone.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Lilias

Friends in IT deserve all the favours they get in return. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Galactic Druid

Friends in IT eat very well, I'll tell you that much.

I'm Guy, May, Gav is Gav.

Okay, temporary HDD is plugged in, let's fire this baby up!!

Oreo

* Oreo crosses fingers, toes and anything else she can think of

It's hard totpye crosseeyd.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Galactic Druid

AngelicFaith

Interested in writing with me? Check my Ons and Offs and Request thread (Or my special  Werewolf/ Shifter request thread here)

Apologies and Absences: Update 03-10

Come and enter The Breeding House of Vinicus. We ensure the fulfillment of all your breeding wishes

Oreo

Well, let's slip on the dancing shoes and have a party!! Whooo-hoooo!

I am so glad things are back in working order. It feels so awkward without our PC sidekicks.

Galactic Druid

Recovery media/windows recognizes the drive! Reinstalling all those bits and bobs my computer needs!!

Sarena

*hugs you tight and crosses fingers*
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

AngelicFaith

Interested in writing with me? Check my Ons and Offs and Request thread (Or my special  Werewolf/ Shifter request thread here)

Apologies and Absences: Update 03-10

Come and enter The Breeding House of Vinicus. We ensure the fulfillment of all your breeding wishes

DutchSpawn

-also crosses fingers- Hope it works!

Galactic Druid

Anyone know if the speed difference for a SSd is worth the price difference?

DutchSpawn

depends, I always go for 7200RPM. I only look at how much i can store on it :P

Galactic Druid

Computer is 90% fixed. Updating virus protection and installing video drivers, and it'll be back to it's old self.

mayovagn

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on August 24, 2012, 12:00:43 AM
Friends in IT eat very well, I'll tell you that much.

I'm Guy, May, Gav is Gav.

Okay, temporary HDD is plugged in, let's fire this baby up!!

I was tired and you know what I meant... *Le sigh*

Galactic Druid

Everything is basically fixed now. Just one thing left. I went to turn it off to bring it to where it belongs, and it gives me the message "Now installing windows updates: 0 of 90" that was 4 hours ago. It's on 60 now.

Oniya

That sounds about typical for MicroSloth.  ;D  (Says the WinXP user.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

Yay for the update. I have a spare laptop. I dread the updating the next time I use it. It has been sitting there since last November. I hope you're up and running soon. ;D

Adammair

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on August 25, 2012, 01:13:30 AM
Everything is basically fixed now. Just one thing left. I went to turn it off to bring it to where it belongs, and it gives me the message "Now installing windows updates: 0 of 90" that was 4 hours ago. It's on 60 now.

Yep. The dread Automatic Updates strikes again.

Quote from: Oniya on August 25, 2012, 01:16:49 AM
That sounds about typical for MicroSloth.  ;D  (Says the WinXP user.)

Very typical.

Galactic Druid

Up to 80, then come installing steam, seeing if I still have any of my saves Via cloud, and crying because I can't afford GW2.

Sarena

I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".