Why did you choose your current avatar?

Started by Moraline, December 17, 2012, 09:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wistful Dream

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 18, 2012, 08:16:33 AM
Because a Yule dalek is the best thing ever.

It is!!

I called this one 'Joyeux', or French for joyous/celebration because it fit the holiday in my mind. The snow made it wintery but I just love the romantic, elegant feel of the red gown and the pose she has. I like romantic avatars, I think that comes across in just about everyone I chose, save for birthday avatars [mine or those close to me] for which I do sultry ones. I use to rarely change my avatar but people ~cough~Izzie~cough~ keep finding me awesome ones to use.

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Wistful Dream on December 18, 2012, 10:44:58 PM
I use to rarely change my avatar but people ~cough~Izzie~cough~ keep finding me awesome ones to use.
I heard that! *grins and snugs*

I'm sort of avatar-crazy myself and change mine quite frequently. They usually reflect my mood so it's not really one "style" I have. Though (most of the time) no explicit nudity and I'm fascinated by eyes. My avatar thread can be found in my signature :-). 

For special occasions I usually do "Special Editions", like the one I have now.

Why? Christmas!
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

DarklingAlice

I change avatars fairy frequently, but I like to think that they are all variations on a theme.

A) Paintings, drawings, etc. over photography.
B) In some way beautiful.
C) In some way disturbing or surreal.

It seems like a solid formula.

Oh, and I always try to credit the artist in links in my sig. Though sometimes it is difficult to track down who does a particular piece.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Lithos

Mine was a seal that my character in pen and paper rpg used for letters long ago, grew fond of it so always use same one, everywhere.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Wistful Dream

I adore you Izzie, oh avatar pimp. ~giggles and snugs back~

Oh, Alice, your post reminded me of something. By and large I won't use artwork for my avatars because it just doesn't 'feel' right for me. I'm an artist myself and I have, in the past, used my own art as an avatar. Back when I first joined I used this elf noble lady for awhile but then found out the artist didn't want her work used even for forum graphics so now I just stick to photos and admire artwork elsewhere. I do tend to play with the photos, the color balances, sometimes the contrast and I almost always add some sort of texture into it.

Moraline

I love hearing all these stories and thoughts about peoples choice of avatars. I had no idea this topic would be so popular!

So many great avatars!  @Izzie, I really like that avatar, I'd like to have that as a desktop background.

I changed my avatar today to a snapshot from a Kato Christmas video. (sticking with my Kato theme but giving it a Xmas feel.) I normally use straight images from her but I had to snapshot this one. Between you and me, I think she was a little bit tipsy when she made the video. She's so adorkable.

Kato making up her own Christmas song - "Here Comes Robocop"

Torch

Two hot guys, in leather, kissing.

No other explanations really necessary.  :-)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Moraline on December 19, 2012, 09:59:42 AM
I love hearing all these stories and thoughts about peoples choice of avatars. I had no idea this topic would be so popular!

So many great avatars!  @Izzie, I really like that avatar, I'd like to have that as a desktop background.

The bigger version can be found in my thread (linked in sig), I'm mobile at the moment so I can't link to it properly.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Jag

Because in my mind, I am my avatar. That's right people. I am Bruce Banner (aka The Hulk)! Fear me!
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oreo

This particular one is almost self explanatory. I want snow!!

My usual choices lend to facial expression combined with dark and light aesthetics. I often use seasonal avatars, as well.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kuroneko

I'm a bellydancer, and this avatar speaks to that, as well as a current story.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Naiah

Well, being a tease, I figured it fit. And CandyLips was so kind to make me two versions I could switch between :D

Sasquatch421

This one is the logo from my squadron I was stationed with in the Marines. I was looking through pics of my babies and found it there, I just wish I could make a decent avatar out of 00. That jet got painted with tiger stripes when we were in Japan.

Oniya

Damn, didn't realize I'd been called out specifically!  (and it wasn't even that silly [*you*] tag!)

Originally, the orb was unadorned.  No eyes, no hat, no spiderweb - just an orb.  I use a neutral avatar because I do play cross-gender a lot, and it's also a hold-over from sites where I wasn't open about my real gender.  The coloring is from the four classical elements, arranged in two overlapping Yin/Yang symbols, with the colors blended in the overlaps.

The eyes got added during my first Halloween at E, and the hat during my first Christmas here.  The spider followed on another Halloween (since the eyes never left, I had to dress up somehow!) and I added in the web as just an artistic touch.  Back to the Santa-orb for a little while longer, but I've got something new in my brain...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheKnifeWon

I like Swans. Also bunnies roasting each other.

Tsenta

It's the Holidays, I'm often called the Grumpy Old Man, and it's Walter. What more do I need?
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Moraline

Quote from: Oniya on December 20, 2012, 10:33:20 AM
Damn, didn't realize I'd been called out specifically!  (and it wasn't even that silly [*you*] tag!)

Originally, the orb was unadorned.  No eyes, no hat, no spiderweb - just an orb.  I use a neutral avatar because I do play cross-gender a lot, and it's also a hold-over from sites where I wasn't open about my real gender.  The coloring is from the four classical elements, arranged in two overlapping Yin/Yang symbols, with the colors blended in the overlaps.

The eyes got added during my first Halloween at E, and the hat during my first Christmas here.  The spider followed on another Halloween (since the eyes never left, I had to dress up somehow!) and I added in the web as just an artistic touch.  Back to the Santa-orb for a little while longer, but I've got something new in my brain...
"Hey, Oni, come quick. Harold's gett'n a beat'n. Follow me up these stairs. Hurry up or we'll miss it!" *waits till she gets to the top of the darkened stairs with one red light bulb, then ducks around the corner as the others lean a 6' tall monster statue in her face*

The decorated orb is hilarious.. I <3 it!

Sel Nar

My avatar is a combination of 'I'm a lazy git and haven't swapped avvies since I joined E' and 'I used to play this game, here's some concept art of a pretty cyborg lady with a fucking huge knife and next to no clothing'

bubby

Lilias

Obviously, my avatar has changed since I posted here before. :P This is my signature holiday avatar, up for the third year. Cheeky, but just on the right side of decent. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Wistful Dream

I felt the need for something a bit more flirty and playful and light for the holidays. As pretty as my other one it was more quiet and stately. Energy is what is needed to get me through the holidays now. And it twinkles!

Darius

I used it as a character for a RP a long while ago... now I get yelled at if I swap him out for something else.
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Pumpkin Seeds

Oddly enough what drew me to the avatar was not the woman, but rather the colors of the background and the skin tone of her body.  Then I really just enjoyed the look of the hair on her shoulders and the image of the sword.  Really the more I looked at the avatar, the more I just fell in love with every little detail.