The Magicians?

Started by CuriousEyes, March 17, 2016, 10:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CuriousEyes

Just wondering if there's a game going on somewhere that's based on the SyFy series The Magicians or its source novels? More generally I suppose I'm interested in Urban Fantasy type games where the use of magic is treated in a similar manner to that 'verse. Meaning that more emphasis is placed on the difficulty of magic and the idea that it's an exceptionally complicated thing to make work properly.

If you're not familiar, the show (and at least the first book, which is as far as I've gotten so far of the trilogy) is set at a secret college for magicians. I guess you could think Harry Potter, but with adult students. And the general idea that if you're going to move a marble along a table with magic you're not just going to wave a wand from across a room and mumble some garbled Latin. Rather you're going to spend weeks studying exactly the right inflections of the dead language you're reciting to go with the motion of your index finger based on the grain of the table and the density of the marble and whether air conditioning is blowing and if you mess any part of it up the best case scenario might just be that the marble just doesn't move...

I'm getting rather absorbed by the 'verse and that take on magic being how I've loved to imagine it as a force of nature, so I figured I'd ask. If there isn't something like that going on and someone more... leader-ly than I is interested in starting it, I've ruminated a lot on how a game set in a sort-of Brakebills might work. So I'd love to hear from you and would be happy to share some thoughts if you care to talk about it (although is that more for the worldbuilding boards?).