[Recruitment/Interest Check] Exalted 2.5: Return of the Mighty

Started by Dracorion, November 08, 2012, 11:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracorion

Well, it's not too recommendable to half-ass Sorcery, I think. Maxing out your mote pool as much as possible via WP and virtues is a good idea, and while that usually means a Lunar has almost no leftover points after doing that and picking up Essence 3 for Sorcery, just remember you can get more BP with merits.

As for spells, Thunder Wolf's Howl might be a good idea if you want to be a half-fighter spellcaster. Countermagic is always a good idea, too.

Thorn14

So what do you suggest then? What are some lunar play styles out there?  I could always make a more social Lunar too I suppose.

Dracorion

Yes, social Lunar is one way you could go. Crafting Lunars aren't much of a thing, since Lunar craft charms mostly cover only Moonsilver and the Wyld. Though they do have a great one for animating corpses.

Combat-wise, there's the half-fighter spellcaster we discussed. You could also be a hard-hitting STRONG Lunar with an axe, or a heavy-lifting STRONG Lunar with Feat of Strength charms. You could also be a martial artist Lunar, using unarmed MA charms and Claws of the Silver Moon to kick serious ass.

Thorn14

Alright, I guess I'll decide between a socialite lunar or a battle sorcerer lunar...What can lunars do socially?

Dracorion

Well, all the social Lunar charms are a little hard to cover. But basically, they have fascination, emotional manipulation, intimacy manipulation, charms to keep people from noticing them. These, coupled with the ability to shapeshift can be quite useful. A fairly easy charm setup for social Lunars is Appearance 5, Third Appearance Excellency and the charm Perfect Symmetry.

The latter doubles the MDV bonuses you get against someone for having higher Appearance, or doubles the MDV penalty you inflict on them. Meaning, if you have Appearance 5 and the target has Appearance 1, you normally would only get +3 bonus since that's where it caps, but the charm would let you get +4, up to +6.

So if your Appearance is 5 and you use the Third Appearance Excellency while Perfect Symmetry is active, your Appearance becomes 10 and you get +6 MDV against anyone whose Appearance is 4 or below, or +5 MDV if their appearance if 5, which is everyone who has Essence 5 or below. Only for one instant, though, since that's how long the excellency lasts, but it's good for one attack or defense.

And all it takes is, yeah, two charms.

RSGAlex

As a suggestion your battle sorcerer should probably take Burning Eyes of the Offender as it is one of the best defensive spells you can use with the tattoos.

For offense use Flight of the Burning Raptor for limited battlefield control or a weapon summoning spell depending on your build. Blood Lash is potentially stronger but requires an assload if spare health levels and enemies doing lethal damage.

Spirit Sword maxes out at WP lethal, but it ignores mundane weapons and armor.

Oh, and if you want a spammable attack, take the attack mutation from COCD Autocthonia and fluff it as electroprojection or the like. It is a stronger version of thebtrick the ST mentioned.

For a social character, look up a trick called the "pretty kitty revolution." That is one of the strongest Lunar social tricks.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Thorn14

It figures, social combat AND spell casting are my weakpoints.  ::)

I admit I don't want to make a seducer right now though.

Hmm...what to do what to do...I'll sleep on it I guess.

Social Combat confuses me (every time I played we never used it) and sorcery has so many options.

RSGAlex

The social combat stuff can be used for more than seduction, note that.

Please wait warmly.

Thorn14

Dracorion

Nah. A few of them do, though. I'd suggest taking a good look at the charms for yourself to see if they interest you.

RSGAlex

Yeah, most are disguise charms or Glance Oration Technique.

Please wait warmly.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, and if you go for Manipulation charms....it has charm which creates illussion you have a perfect defense by fooling people.

Anyways as sorcerer you can get lot good spells which deal with dispelling spells, banish summoned creatures, summon creatures (demons are best but also elementals are good altough it asks to be social savy and so being mixture of social+sorcery is good way to go with this approach in mind).

Battle sorcery is limited for lunars as they cannot shape their bodies with sorcery but there are good spells like flight of brilliant raptor, thunder wolf's howl. Also if you have high MA score then magma kraken (celestial battle control/attack spell) is good spell also. Also you can craft crazy stuff from wyld (altough solars are better at it I think).

But main points why sorcery rocks is in it's many utility spells like stormwind rider (as lunar transport is no issue but transport friends? Take this or the azure chariot for long distance travel). Infallible Messenger to deliver quick messages across creation. Ritual of Elemental Empowerment (ensured money maker if you team up with crafter and are able to summon elementals to affect larger number of goods at once). Shadows of the Ancient Past (celestial spell) is great way dig information. Travel Without Distance (celestial level teleport spell? Great getaway spell from tight spot and can transport armies in long ticks). Private Plaza of Downcast Eyes (terrestrial ward spell against teleportation and divination, very small area but ensured privacy is must have for scheamer).

So, to be good sorcerer you must think far before hand and to spam combat spells you must lean towards to using terrestrial spells effectively as they are mote friendlier than other options. Also if ST would give permission to have Metasorcerous Phylactery, then you can do lots cool stuff with sorcery and expand upon sorcerous talents.

Overall sorcerer's strongest point in combat and which lasts longer than 2-3 spells is their summoned creatures. You need demon/elemental retinue if you want rock in combat as sorcerer and have mind for war and tactics to employ the variable demon/elementals effectively in combat (and know charms what each demon/elemental has, example you can send neomahs to spy and seduce foes and blood apes ambush and gang upon single target). Of course second level demons are dangerous weapons to use and summon but they expand a lot what you can do with your minion.

So, to play sorcerer your better think it as DnD terms as summoner.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Dracorion on November 11, 2012, 12:58:19 AMDarkling: I'm afraid we're full up on players right now, but we do have a waiting list. Right now there's just one other person waiting, so if two people drop you'd be in the game.

Okie dokie ^^

Teo Torriatte

Ok I fixed her sword and added her virtue flaw, I did indeed go with Foolhardy Contempt.

As to how Sapphire and Whispers met each other and whether they are still together(they are, btw), I added the following to her background.

Sapphire was wandering the plains, looking for some kind of direction, when one night she had an unusually vivid dream, leading her to a minor manse. As it turned out, she wasn't the only one who had found it, another Solar by the name of Whispers on the Night Wind showed up, along with her six mortal companions and their seven owl steeds. Since they had both arrived at basically the same time, they decided to duel to first blood for control of the manse. But as they danced around each other, they realized they were too evenly matched and neither could score a hit. Finally they tired each other out, collapsing against each other giggling. Whispers decided, since she already had one manse, that Sapphire could have it.

They spent the next two nights fooling around, Sapphire spending a lot of time with Whispers but also playing around with the other Solar's mortal friends, as well. She found that she was indeed able to give in to her passions as readily as she was to her rage and hatred, and she gladly lost herself in those few nights of pleasure before both she and Whispers were sent a message, requesting that they travel to Nexus. For Sapphire, it would be her first homecoming since she lost her unit and Exalted.

Laughing Hyena

Why not simply rewrite it so that they have a tiebreaker in the bedroom? More then one way to settle a dispute. ^_^

Zaer Darkwail

Rofl! Anyways DnD/Pathfinder fans feel free check group games wanted as I opened godling game (well, wish to be player but if no steps up I am interested run a godling game. Just need think of setting and all that).

Thorn14

Argh. Still gotta think.

Both social and sorcery sound nice.

RSGAlex

If you're willing to be something of a One Trick Lunar, you can take parts of the Pretty Kitty Revolution and Sorcery, and manage to be competent at both areas.

Please wait warmly.

Thorn14

I'm not too sure I like that pretty kitty thing.

Hmm...I guess I'm just having a real bad day.

Depression really hurts one's muse.  :-(

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on November 11, 2012, 12:36:03 PM
Rofl! Anyways DnD/Pathfinder fans feel free check group games wanted as I opened godling game (well, wish to be player but if no steps up I am interested run a godling game. Just need think of setting and all that).

Oh and some feedback on my character would be nice, despite lack of backstory.

But a sum up is that he was a down on his luck scavenger whom has good skills so he gets hired by a benefactor and goes with him due to being hard up for coin and and loses his arm due to the benefactor backstabbing him after needing said scavenger for access to an artifact. He leaves him to die from either blood loss, starvation, dehydration or being trapped in the ruins for too long to run out of breathable air. I should also mention that the benefactor in question was an Abyssal Dusk Caste. Why he didn't kill him quick was simple. It more fun when his victims suffer extensively before wishing for death.

Anyway Insight cuts off his own arm at the shoulder in order to free himself from the trap that holds his ruined arm in place which is literally wringing the blood out of it then burns himself to stop the blood loss. He works extensively to figure a way out of the ruins using his lore and wits to keep going. He exalted during his escape when he discovered the actual resting place of his first age body... minus a good portion of the goodies that it held and deciphered how to escape.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Thorn14 on November 11, 2012, 02:45:18 PM

Awww, depression indeed beats muse down with ugly stick.

Dracorion

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on November 11, 2012, 04:54:45 AMAlso if ST would give permission to have Metasorcerous Phylactery, then you can do lots cool stuff with sorcery and expand upon sorcerous talents.

Yeah, Metasorcerous Phylacteries are allowed. As with any artifact, you have to integrate it into your backstory, but that's simple enough to do.

Luna: The story all sounds good. Assuming Whispers and Sapphire still needed to go to civilization to purchase supplies and stuff, then a messenger would've approached them or one of the henchgirls in a town to deliver the message. Though, one thing I missed in your sheet is that you didn't specify your Contacts background. You need to list what your Contacts refers to: a large organization you're affiliated with or a group or groups of people you know, like other mercenary companies in Nexus. You also need to list a major contact, an individual you personally know, for each dot you have in the background.

Quote from: Thorn14 on November 11, 2012, 02:45:18 PM

Yes, that does suck. But no one's pushing you to hurry, all right?  ;) If you still want to play, then no one's pushing you or saying that you have to be done RIGHT NOW or TOMORROW or anything. Just take your time to work out a character you're happy with.  ^-^

Hyena: Your character is great mechanically. However, there's a very minor issue in that you need to list major contacts in your Contacts background, individuals from the organizations you have contacts in that you personally know.

Aside from that, I'll hold off on reviewing the backstory until you've finished it.

Zaer: I would really like to know if you still have problems with the Lunar charm I proposed. Would you be okay with the charm if I changed the description, or would you prefer it be changed mechanically? Would you rather it not exist at all? I would really like to discuss this, since I don't want to add the charm if you feel so strongly against it.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Dracorion on November 11, 2012, 04:39:18 PM
Hyena: Your character is great mechanically. However, there's a very minor issue in that you need to list major contacts in your Contacts background, individuals from the organizations you have contacts in that you personally know.

Aside from that, I'll hold off on reviewing the backstory until you've finished it.

I thought I did. It said in the sheet that it was Guild Merchant and Scavenger Lord Contacts. Those would be the two major contacts would they not? I know I have to flesh them out individually but Im going to save that for the backstory.

Re Z L

Just a little advice:

If you want to go with Sorcery keep in mind one of two things when using it:  It is amazing in War-scale fighting (mass combat), it is great at out-of-combat applications.  As a Lunar you won't have access to some of the amazing stuff in the Solar Circle, but there are a lot of amazing Celestial Circle effects as well.

So, if you want to use Sorcery, you could use social charms that also enhance Mass combat in some way, or if you want to use the out-of-combat applications (summoning, travel, divination, etc.) you could do almost anything else along with it.

Lunars aren't the greatest Sorcerers, but they can be very efficient sorcerers with the No Moon Caste ability.

The real strength of the Lunars (I think) is their flexibility and their ability to change shape easily, which has numerous applications.

Hope that helps some   ;D
A&A

Dracorion

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on November 11, 2012, 04:55:07 PM
I thought I did. It said in the sheet that it was Guild Merchant and Scavenger Lord Contacts. Those would be the two major contacts would they not? I know I have to flesh them out individually but Im going to save that for the backstory.

If the Guild merchant and the Scavenger Lord are supposed to be two individuals rather than two groups, then yeah, they'd be major contacts.