Battletech! Enough said!

Started by Latooni Subota, May 21, 2010, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latooni Subota

I think I saw a Battletech game floating around already, but it appeared pretty full, so I'm putting out a call for another one! I'm still trying to gather the right books and stuff to figure out how to roleplay stuff with Classic Battletech, so I can't quite be counted on for delicious GMship or something.

If someone can help me learn how to use this stuff, and point out which books are most useful, I would definately appreciate it. If someone could run the system, i'd be MORE appreciative! Right now I'm using the rules from the third edition core book to make pilots, and Classic Battletech to do everything else. >>;

I'm looking for a Lance (That's four mechs!) or so sized group for optimum fun. Feel free to respond here, via PM, or my messengers.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Arion

I've got just about every book you might need for a battletech game.  What do you need help on?
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List

Latooni Subota

Other than having someone RUN things? ;)

Well, I noticed that Classic BattleTech is supposed to be a reprinting/re-organizing/etc of Third Edition, right? Well the 3rd ed core has rules for making pilots and stuff, but the Classic core barely even glances at pilots. Does another book have pilot stuff, or would I just use the third edition core?

Also, what books have good rundowns/stats/etc on mechs?

I have the 3rd Edition core, as well as Classic BattleTech's Total Warfare (Which is supposedly the core rules?) and Tech Manual. I know i'm going to need to invest in more books, and I'd like to know WHAT to look for rather than being blind.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Arion

Okay, the problem seems to be that you're mixing two games.  There's the classic Battletech RPG (third edition), and then there's Classic Battletech, the miniatures game.  You can run the two together, but it takes some work.  Not too much, but a little.

Total warfare is the core rules for the miniatures game; in addition to that, you'll need the technical readouts, which contain all of the mech stats and vehicles and so-forth.  For the rpg, it'll be hard to find anything as, to my knowledge, they're really not putting more stuff out for it.

Really, it depends on how in-depth you want to get.  You can run a game with just one tech readout, Total Warfare, and the Classic RPG.  Everything else is adding flavor.  Also you should set a time-period for what you're looking for.  The Succession Wars is a big favorite, but all the stuff coming out now is post-clan era/ Jihad stuff.  That influences which mechs would be available and what factions are in play.

Unfortunately, there's a ton of good stuff out there that's out of print; the original company, Ral Partha, went out of business about 15 years ago, and the game has passed through two different companies in the mean time.

So, my recommendations on books:  Total Warfare, the Classic Battletech RPG 3rd edition, technical readout 3075 (which is the latest, I think), and you're good, at least to start.
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

Latooni Subota

I guess I should find players/etc first, so we can decide what era we want, before I start looking for too many more books.

I'll look into trying to find a copy of the Technical Readout 3075 though. Maybe one of my friends will actually have a copy buried in their stacks somewhere. :D

sleepingferret

All my Battletech stuff is old school... original FASA prints and Ral Partha miniatures.  (well I have a few recent remade miniatures, of some classic mechs)  But the last book I bought was from the 90s.

echoes

I could be very interested in this but I am woefully out of date and have sold all the source material I once had. I had played Battletech from right after its change of names from battledroids up until about 6 years ago. I sold an RCT worth of miniatures on ebay as well as all the original books and box sets so I will be behind the 8-ball on the source material.

Depending on how you set this up I would love to play and do what I could to get up to speed.

Thanks,

E-

AllieCat

The latest RPG edition is currently out in PDF only... (it's full name is Classic Battletech: A Time of War RPG)

Most of the files are out there if you know where to look.

The actual BattleTech board game is ably emulated by the computer program MegaMek, which allows online play.

I may be interested in running a game.. depending on what people want to do.. (Solaris VII arena battles? Campaign? Random stuff?)

Ramael

I would be interested, but massive technicalities really put me off.

I love the battletech lore, and political intrigues, but my only sources are seven of the fiction novels (Malicious Intent...arguably my favourite?) and one video game.  I don't have any more in-depth textbooks, and haven't played the RPG.

However, I would love to be part of a pirate unit. That way, pirates being a motley crew, players can be in either mechs, hovertanks or aerospace, and can come from nearly any background. It also allows for some more personalisation. ALSO it's a bit different to the current battletech game being run.

Open to suggestions, though.

Latooni Subota

Pirates sounds okay . .  Pirates that moonlight as cover ops/mercs when the appropriate government/criminal organization hires them out. But I REALLY like the idea of a Lance of 'Mech Jockeys on Solaris VII working their way through the circuit, and trying to earn enough prestige and money to eventually set up their own Merc unit.

Yeah, a friend contacted me and lent me a hand. I now have Classic Battletech RPG, Tech Manual, Total Warfare, Lostech: The Mechwarrior Equipment Guide, the Character Companion, Master Rules, and Solaris VII Players Book.

And yeah, I realized some books could literally only be found in PDF form at this point, much to my chagrin. I wanted all hardcopy of these. :(

Back to point, I'd be VERY pleased if you ran a game. Feel free to tell us what YOU would be most interested in running though. Some nice long-term BattleTech would be awesome <3

Arion

Just don't use the rules for creating mercenary companies in the Mercenaries sourcebook.  I'm not joking in the least when I say filling out tax forms is easier and faster.  There are six, count 'em six, detailed forms to fill out (at least, larger companies may require multiples of some).  It's ridiculous.

Kinda like the mech creation rules.

Anywho, i'm interested, but for me it's all about time-frame.  Succession Wars, hell yes.  Clan Wars, maybe.  Beyond that, not likely.

PS:  Oh, and for mechs, I've got every tech readout they've produced yet, so I can provide info on anything needed.

Paladin

Has my intrest, but I'm very big on the wolf clan... or the Dragoons.

Arion

Dragoons were pretty cool, and fit with Succession Wars.  Weren't they basically a spy-group sent in by Clan Wolf?

Latooni Subota

YEah, I'd personally like late Succession Wars (Late 3rd or 4th), or late Clan Invasion. Still, I'd like to hear what time periods AllieCat likes, and what she'd be more comfortable running, before we make any big decisions.

And yes, Wolf's Dragoons were originally a reconnaisance unit sent into the IS to check things out.

Arion

Oooo, it could be cool to do the opening of the Clan Invasion;  being overrun by alien-looking mechs and Elementals, having to defend against never-before-seen designs...

Sorry, not trying to push my fav period;  It's just, well, my favorite.

Paladin

This is the D10 system right, or the original original system?

AllieCat

Ok, we're all over the place, so let me take a poll on some of the things that people want to see: Feel free to pick one or more, or rank them, or what have you.

Q1: Time frame
A) Succession Wars Era (3025-3039)
B) Clan Invasion (3050-3055
C) Second Star League/Great Trial of Refusal (the Twilight of the Clans book series, if you've read that) (3061)
D) Fed Com Civil War (3062-3066)
E) Word Of Blake Jihad (3075)

Q2:  Straight Battletech, Mechwarrior or mix? (if we do engage Mechwarrior, we will use a Time of War, so much better then 3rd edition :D)_
A) Only Battletech (mech battles, etcetera)
B) Only Mechwarrior (personal level, with the battletech stuff de-emphasized)
C) Mix

Q3: What do people want to play
A) House Forces (one of the Great Houses, or a minor power)
B) Mercenaries
C) Pirates/scum
D) Solaris VII pilots (arena battles, etcetera)

Q4: Use MegaMek? (everyone connects to a server to play out the battles) or Play by Post (I have never done Play by Post, so it will be a little rough :D)
A) MegaMek
B) Play by Post

Q5: Are we throwing in Adult Situations? (relationships, captured enemies/pilots, etcetera?)
A: Yes
B: No
C: Depends on the situation

AllieCat

Quote from: Paladin on May 22, 2010, 07:37:55 PM
This is the D10 system right, or the original original system?
The new verison is a cleaned up version of the d10 system (it uses 2D6, and cleans up the lifepath RPG situation, so a random roll doesn't cost your character a leg or keep you from a preferred path :)

Terian

I'm up for this--I've got a copy of the Time of War book as well, so I've got access to the rules.

Mind you, this is up to /Play/, not to run, I don't have the time to plot everything out unfortunately :(

That said, fluffwise, I'm not too picky--but it would be cool to run the battles on MegaMek I think.

Katina Tarask

Complete n00b to this one, but I want in.  I'm futzing with character creation now.

To Allie's questions...

1) Abstain.  I don't know enough about the setting to vote.  Just a couple of the MechWarrior video games, really, and even that was a long time ago.
2) C.  I want a giant robot.
3) C.  Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.  D sounds fun, too, followed by B.
4) B.  I want to keep this to the forums.
5) C.  Though seriously, never include a "depends on the situation" option.  That pretty much completely negates all other choices.  I want adult content/situations as appropriate, and I will bring a character who is going to encourage such situations.

Paladin

Quote from: AllieCat on May 22, 2010, 07:44:44 PM
The new verison is a cleaned up version of the d10 system (it uses 2D6, and cleans up the lifepath RPG situation, so a random roll doesn't cost your character a leg or keep you from a preferred path :)

Umm whats the covers look like? I may not have them.

AllieCat

Paladin

C) Second Star League/Great Trial of Refusal (the Twilight of the Clans book series, if you've read that) (3061)

Q2:  Straight Battletech, Mechwarrior or mix? (if we do engage Mechwarrior, we will use a Time of War, so much better then
C) Mix

B) Mercenaries
E) Clan Wolf Clanner

Q4: Use MegaMek? (everyone connects to a server to play out the battles) or Play by Post (I have never done Play by Post, so it will be a little rough :D)
B) Play by Post

Q5: Are we throwing in Adult Situations? (relationships, captured enemies/pilots, etcetera?)
A: Yes
C: Depends on the situation

As I have said, if we do Merchs I suggest Wolfs Dragoons as they include both Clanners, and non Clanners. I despize the Houses. They were weak and most of them had no honor.

Paladin

Katina Tarask

Oh.  I'm working out of this one.  Er... looks like I'm going off of the limb 'splodey version. ^^U

Paladin

Wow they don't even have the books I have listed.

AllieCat

You two will have a PM in a lil bit :)

Katina Tarask

Is the character creation system fundamentally similar enough that it'd still be a good exercise for me to carry on with this little trial character-creation, or would that just ultimately end up confusing me?

AllieCat

it's somewhat similar.. but does not have the random rolls that the life path has.. I'd suggest reading that PDF..

Latooni Subota

>Implying Wolf's Dragoons have more honor than any IS groups. That makes me giggle. :)

Q1: B or A. preferably B.
Q2: C. Gotta love the mix.
Q3: D or B. Preferably starting as D, then eventually working our way up to being B!
Q4: I've never used MegaMek before, so I don't care either way. Whichever is easier?
Q5: C.

I'll take a peek at MegaMek tonight, and see how it works.

Also, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! Besides, Edge tends to keep you from REALLY screwing yourself over via dice.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 22, 2010, 09:11:19 PM
>Implying Wolf's Dragoons have more honor than any IS groups. That makes me giggle. :)
Also, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! D:

Never said Wolfs Dragoons had more honor than any IS group, I implied that Clans had Honor.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 22, 2010, 09:11:19 PMAlso, AWWW! The random rolls are what makes the character creation system for MechWarrior FUN! Besides, Edge tends to keep you from REALLY screwing yourself over via dice.
To wit, it gave me the dread pirate of Disney who was once a girl scout and gets +3 to Interest/Cookies. :P

Paladin

Umm is there a character generator program out there? Catalyst went and had to go make the easy shit in last edition hard and complicated it looks like.

Latooni Subota

I'm just saying, I've made a couple of Lifepath builds and I have yet to really ruin myself with it, came close a few times, but Edge fixed that nicely. :3

Edit: Then again, I build my characters with a vague idea of the sort of thing I want to play, and let the system help fill in the details. I guess if you make up oodles of details before going into the Lifepaths, then you'd have problems :3

AllieCat

Quote from: Paladin on May 22, 2010, 09:19:12 PM
Umm is there a character generator program out there? Catalyst went and had to go make the easy shit in last edition hard and complicated it looks like.

Not yet, I wanted one too.. but I learned some tricks of the trade.

I took a piece of scrap paper/blank paper and filled in the 8 stats from the book, and had a section for skills and ones for traits. As I went through the stages, I filled in the results (for example, as part of Stage 1, you get 100 in each of the 8 stats free), and just updated as I went through.. (for example, if I got another 100 as a result of a life path decision (let's say BOD, or Body), I'd cross out 100 and put 200 in.

Then, after I finished all four stages of the life path, but before I spent the extra points left over, I'd go through and convert the stats and either "sell down" or "buy up". Attributes are fairly easy,  as you get 1 attribute point per 100 points spent, so if you have 350 in Body for example, you either start with a BOD of 3 (and get the 50 XP back), or decide to "buy up" the stat to level 4 (spending the extra 50 XP to make it 400).

Then you do the same for skills and traits. There's a table (Page 85)  that references how many points=what level.. For example, if I have 100 points in Pilot/Mech (a skill), I can take it at Level 3 (80 Points) and get 20 points back, or "buy up" to Level 4 at the cost of 20 points.

(If it's all too much, you can use the Points-Only Character Creation option brought up on Page 51).

If it would help, I could create a character just to show everyone how it's done?

Latooni Subota

It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I think the trick is to just make sure you read ALL of the character creation part, and if it tells you something important like the universal XP cost, write it down on a notepad. Then just pull it all together. :)

As an update, the current consensus seems to be the following for your questions.

Q1: B
Q2: C
Q3: B/D
Q4: B
Q5: C

Any more thoughts on the game?

AllieCat

Looks like I'll be running a group of hot shot solaris VII jocks,who knows.. they may get enough notoriety/pilots/mechs to form their own company ;)

Ah, the life of a Solaris VII Mechjock.. all the fame and glory of having your every move tracked by the fans, the media... all the mechgroupies of either sex you could want.. the money..

Well.. That's for the top pilots, at least. For every Tanya O'Bannon (who co-held the Solaris VII championship three years running with her sister) or Jason Bloch, there's literally hundreds of anonymous MechWarriors living life from fight to fight.. They bring 'Mechs that have been destroyed and rebuilt so many times that the amount of original parts that it has in it is in the low single digits... fighting for low purses outside the big arenas and the spotlights. They try to stay out of the clutches of the criminal element, keeping their fights honest as a necessity, and oh yeah.. knowing that every time they pilot their Mechs out into the arena could be their last. Many are the pilots who claim that if only they got their one shot, their one chance that every MechWarrior deserves.. they too could hit the big time.

And now, the Solaris Broadcasting Council is giving a bunch of Mechwarriors that chance. They're taking Mechwarriors that are hungry and giving them their one shot. It's called "Solaris: Rising Stars".  The Mechwarriors will live together, train together, and eventually fight each other. To the victor goes a massive contract with one of the top Solaris VII stables,  and millions of new fans from watching the show. Even those who do not  win could impress the fans, creating a following as the MechWarrior that everyone is rooting for.. or the MechWarrior that everyone loves to hate.

And when you take 16 highly outgoing pilots and put them into one building with only each other for company, sparks are going to fly.

Latooni Subota

I'd be annoyed, if that wasn't SO what would happen on Solaris, thanks to those silly execs! I can't believe you just combined Real World and Solaris VII :3

As a note, my girl is a Techie/Pilot. She's not that good of a pilot as compared to the others, but she can keep her mech (and, given the right motivation, other peoples' mechs) in pretty decent shape. Assuming she has the parts that is :3

Probably formerly a Spacer, or Merc Baby. What year specifically are we gonna do?

Paladin

Well I'm in, not really interested in the solaris thing but can make it work. It will take me a while to make character since My job is killer, but I will do my best to get him done soon.

wildstar

hmm I am interested in this. what do you have in mind of what you'd like to do for the story if we don't go to Solaris? the Solaris idea sounds interesting. never did one there before. 

AllieCat

Going to aim for 3055, after the first wave of the Clan Invasion, but while the clans were still a threat to raid beyond the Tukkayid treaty line.

The merc one was going to probably be set in 3039, after the fourth succession war, pre-the clans, so we could have some fun taking offers from various House  recruiters to raid/attack  each other, (little did they know what was waiting outside the Sphere..) a lot of the RP would be on the dropship, traveling out to the mission area..

Arion

Okay, sorry about the delay, was running a DnD campaign last night.  As for the questionnaire:

1:A/B
2:A/C
3: All of the above
4:B
5:A/C

Now, I don't have the Time of War book; I've got one of the original 3rd edition rpg books, and I absolutely love the lifepath system, complete with the chance of getting horribly maimed in the process.  If I'm not mistaken, elliquiy has a dice-rolling system (each profile has a link titled see player's rolls), so we could use that for any rolls we need (especially the lifepaths, if we go with older 3rd).

Now, will we be starting with stock 'Mechs, or will we be able to modify them depending on lifepath rolls?

AllieCat

Latooni Subota

Well, I imagine if you take the right Traits, you could have modified mechs. For example: My girl's success (if any) in Solaris VII would be primarily due to her customizing and tweaking her mech, since she's not too awesome at piloting.

Yeah, I LOVE the random roll lifepath system too. A Time of War removes all the random from the system though, no Events at all in fact. I cried a little. Q.Q

wildstar

hmm now I'm very interested. I have the original Battletech book for Mechwarrior. but I don't have the 3rd edition book to create a mechwarrior. but I can think of something. my character would be from House Steiner I liked how in the books they created the timelines and conficts for each house and for the succession wars. the clans are cool too. I'll work on a bio and have it up by the end of today before I go to bed. 

AllieCat

I was helping Paladin create his character, and if others are having issues, we can arrange time for help, either by thread, pm, or yahoo IM :)

Katina Tarask

Sheet draft, WIP.

I kinda tried to do life modules, at first, but the way I set up the spreadsheet, I was tallying line item point values, and then towards the end I pretty much said 'screw it,' and ended up with something somewhere between life module and point... I'm pretty sure it's legal by the latter.  I'm going to need to chat about this one.

AllieCat

Heya.. I'll look at it and we'll go from there :)

Latooni Subota

Psst, I has quick questions for you. Check Yahoo or AIM. :3

Latooni Subota

Quick question: The rule of only getting up to 500 bonus xp from Negative Traits is still applying, right?

Katina Tarask

Wait, there's a limit?

*Looks at her -1200 XP spent on negative traits.*

*Whimpers.*

But... 500 can't be right.  There are -1000 XP traits!

AllieCat

Latooni Subota

The negative traits from Lifepaths don't give you bonus xp, btw. This applies to end-of-creation adding in of traits. :x

Paladin

wait what? I am now confused beyond hell.

Latooni Subota

If you use a point buy system, then the first 500 xp worth of negative traits will give you up to that much in bonus XP you can spend. If you use lifepaths then AFTER you do all your lifepath stuff, you can get up to 500XP worth of negative traits to get up to that much bonus xp.

Paladin

Still don't quite follow what you mean.

Latooni Subota

The book explains it better, at the end (I think) of the character creation sections. It just means there is a cap on bonus xp you can get from negative Traits.

Katina Tarask

I vote for ignoring that rule.  Or at least raising the cap.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 26, 2010, 08:02:12 PM
The book explains it better, at the end (I think) of the character creation sections. It just means there is a cap on bonus xp you can get from negative Traits.

Umm yea can't find it, if you could sy the page i'd appriciate it. I'm also with Katina. Kaibosh that one or raise the cap.

Latooni Subota

Page 88. Note, that even getting to buy negative traits in exchange for more xp is an OPTIONAL thing, so the limitation is already more than you normally get. :3

But whatever. It's Allie's decision, and for the time being she said the limit is still set. I don't really mind it since we're NOBODIES, relatively speaking. If we had bunches more xp, we probably wouldn't be in this Vid program for losers. :)

Katina Tarask

Eh, not really; the established reason for not having made the big time yet has more to do with the lack of a decent break than a lack of talent.  Rising young stars are supposed to be quite capable.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on May 26, 2010, 08:52:22 PM
Eh, not really; the established reason for not having made the big time yet has more to do with the lack of a decent break than a lack of talent.  Rising young stars are supposed to be quite capable.

This is true, and rising stars don't mean nobodies.

Latooni Subota

Note, I'll probably be ready before I slide off to bed tonight, which is usually . . what . . 2 or 3 Elliquiy-Time? I dunno. Mainly working on fluff and deciding if I want to swap around stuff at this point.

Adorable enough for my techie/pilot? (SFW) http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/326799/boots-engineer-gloves-goggles-helm-overalls-pink_h

AllieCat

I'll try to catch up tonight (I don't want to force everyone to hear the Allie-rant about my last couple days.. Once in the SB was quite enough), but I'm still at work and will be for several more hours.

Paladin

Quote from: AllieCat on May 27, 2010, 06:39:16 PM
I'll try to catch up tonight (I don't want to force everyone to hear the Allie-rant about my last couple days.. Once in the SB was quite enough), but I'm still at work and will be for several more hours.

*Hugs* I know how work can be Gal. I got drafted for this weekend even though I wasn'tr scheduled to work. Oh yea and I'm forced to work on the Holiday.

AllieCat

Tell ya what.. if I gave everyone, say, a bonus of 1,000 XP for this, would you guys be happy? :)

Katina Tarask

Works for me.  I take it that means the -500 XP cap on negative traits is back in place?

AllieCat

You can TAKE more, just won't get the XP :)

Paladin

Quote from: AllieCat on May 27, 2010, 09:57:10 PM
Tell ya what.. if I gave everyone, say, a bonus of 1,000 XP for this, would you guys be happy? :)

works for me as well. :D

Katina Tarask

AllieCat

Katina Tarask

Whenever you're on, I'd like to talk with you about equipment and my character's mech.

Latooni Subota

-Peeks in- OH, I probably should've passed it along, but we're getting a randomly selected Medium 'Mech as part of the competition/tv show. Unless Allie changed her mind about that. :3

Also, finished my stats! Just need to actually write down my fluff when I'm not busy.

[Attributes]
STR: +200 : 2
BOD: +300 : 3
RFL: +400 : 4
DEX: +700 : 7
INT: +700 : 7
WIL: +400 : 4
CHA: +400 : 4
EDG: +400 : 4

Subtotal: 3500

[Traits]
Connections [Solaris VII 'Mech Labs]: +400 : 4
Enemy [Rival 'MechJockey]: -300 : -3
Fast Learner: +300 : 3
Introvert [Character]: -100 : -1
Tech Empathy: +300 : 3
Animal Antipathy: -100 : -1

Subtotal: 500

[Skills]
Appraisal [INT] 27 : 1
Computers (Advanced Tier) [DEX + INT] 153 : 5
Communications [INT] 27 : 1
Demolitions [DEX + INT] 27 : 1
Driving [RFL + DEX] 27 : 1
Gunnery/'Mech [RFL + DEX] 108 : 4
Interest/Solaris Games [INT + WIL] 45 : 2
Interest/Cooking [INT + WIL] 72 : 3
Language/German [INT + CHA] 108 : 4
Language/English [INT + CHA] 108 : 4
Navigation/Ground [INT] 45 : 2
Negotiation [CHA] 27 : 1
Perception [INT] 45 : 2
Piloting/'Mech [RFL + DEX] 207 : 6
Protocol/Lyran Alliance [WIL + CHA] 45 : 2
Sensor Operations [INT + WIL] 108 : 4
Streetwise/Solaris VII [CHA] 45 : 2
Tactics/Land [INT + WIL] 45 : 2
Technician/Electronic [INT + WIL] 166 : 6
Technician/Mechanical [INT + WIL] 166 : 6
Technician/Myomer [INT + WIL] 166 : 6
Technician/Nuclear [INT + WIL] 58 : 3
Technician/Weapons [INT + WIL] 166 : 6

Subtotal: 1991

Grant Total: 5991

When i'm not having my IRL friends teach me how to play Classic Battletech, i'll work on my girl.

Paladin

Well I still need to finish my guy, but some of the Traist he has allows him a choice of Mechs, and even customize his Mech.  I'm puting pointsinto those cause certain Mechs I hate and I'd at least like a pick from a list.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Latooni Subota on May 29, 2010, 08:10:32 PM
-Peeks in- OH, I probably should've passed it along, but we're getting a randomly selected Medium 'Mech as part of the competition/tv show. Unless Allie changed her mind about that. :3
Oh.  Well, then, that gives me more points to play with.  Updated.

Paladin

Umm so at some point I still need help finishing my character.

Paladin

Umm sooo, is this game still gonna happen, or did it just juddeenly die and me not know it?

Latooni Subota

Paladin, relax. It was a long holiday weekend for certain countries, and some people go on vacations or spend time with families. Or go to hospitals like me. :D

Edit: Well, that and it is still finals time some places.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 02, 2010, 01:46:47 PM
Paladin, relax. It was a long holiday weekend for certain countries, and some people go on vacations or spend time with families. Or go to hospitals like me. :D

Edit: Well, that and it is still finals time some places.

Still Finals 0_0 Please tell me thats a joke.

Skystomp

Little late poking my head around.... so is there room for another Mech Jock?
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

AllieCat

been enjoying my time off.. barely a chance to check here :)

Yes, we have room.. you need the Time of War PDF (which is available at DriveThru and through BattleCorps.. hope you guys do buy it, Catalyst Game Labs (the makers of Btech and Shadowrun) could REALLY use the money at this point.. They barely dodged an involuntary bankruptcy motion last week!

Paladin

Quote from: AllieCat on June 02, 2010, 06:05:20 PM

Yes, we have room.. you need the Time of War PDF (which is available at DriveThru and through BattleCorps.. hope you guys do buy it, Catalyst Game Labs (the makers of Btech and Shadowrun) could REALLY use the money at this point.. They barely dodged an involuntary bankruptcy motion last week!

:( They what? *Whimpers* I really don't want to see B-tech, Cthulhutech, and Shadowrun go under

AllieCat

Cthulutech is already gone, they're going to have a new publisher soon..

See the three blog posts here:

http://catalystgamelabs.com/

Skystomp

C-Tech is fine, but they've removed themselves from Catalyst.

Tagers & Engels for the win!

Paladin

Quote from: Skystomp on June 02, 2010, 06:13:28 PM
C-Tech is fine, but they've removed themselves from Catalyst.

Tagers & Engels for the win!

Who'd they go to?

AllieCat

Latooni Subota

I have no objections to Skystomp joining. If we eventually get to be mercs, we'd need at least a full Lance anyways. :P

But yeah, seems like Paladin needs help finishing some details on his character. I need . . TO SIT DOWN AND FINISH WRITING MY FLUFF! x.x;

Someone crack the whip on me. I'm being too lazy

Paladin

Quote from: AllieCat on June 02, 2010, 06:05:20 PM

Oh... well welcome back. sorry I bugged ya so much.

Skystomp

Look at the bright side Latooni, you'll have more time as I try and get back up to speed on making something.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 02, 2010, 06:17:24 PM
I have no objections to Skystomp joining. If we eventually get to be mercs, we'd need at least a full Lance anyways. :P

But yeah, seems like Paladin needs help finishing some details on his character. I need . . TO SIT DOWN AND FINISH WRITING MY FLUFF! x.x;

Someone crack the whip on me. I'm being too lazy

*Snaps a whip at Latooni* Get back to work!

.....Better? :D

AllieCat

S'alright ;) I know I can be a bit hard to reach sometimes, always bouncing around :)

Latooni Subota

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/marigreywords/774d02f621611c67037f4bb5376a7699.jpg

My adorably petite techie's image. There's something to be said about being able to fit your entire head and torso INSIDE a 'Mech's knee or elbow, and fix it from the inside out. :D

Paladin

Latooni Subota

I have no idea why the formatting got all weird . . . don't ask me D:

Name: Angelika "Blue Angel" Neustadt
Height: 5'0"
Build: . . . A wee bit too light for her own good.

Description: Angelika is by far the shortest, if not youngest,
new pilot on the Solaris VII arena scene. Standing at around
five-foot-nothing, she looks like a good stiff breeze will
knock her over. She still insists that her size is an
advantage, and has demonstrated this by showing off her
ability to crawl INSIDE the knee of a BattleMech and repair
it.

Angelika keeps her raven-black hair long, with a few
highlights of blue to fit her 'image' she's cultivating as a
MechWarrior. At the moment she wears all shades of blue while
piloting a 'Mech, even her coolant vest is blue! She'd prefer
to have one of those amazingly useful Star League-era cooling
suits and neuro-helmets in all blue, but that dream is
probably a long way off.

When not piloting, she's rather . . laid back, and pacifistic.
She wears comfortable baggy jeans or shorts, and small shirts,
tank tops, and whatnot to maximize comfort. She OBVIOUSLY has
the full array of greasemonkey jumpsuits as well, if only to
fit the image.

Personality: Angelika is essentially a pacifist at heart, at
least when not in the seat of a 'Mech. More than a bit meek
and submissive (possibly due to complexes about her size
and/or self-esteem issues?) she's more than satisfied to let
other people take the reins and do what they want. Always a
follower, never a leader, seems to sum up Angelika nicely . .
most of the time.

When it comes to the actual upkeep of 'Mechs however, she gets
obscenely jealous. She knows full well just how skilled she is
at technical skills, and uses that knowledge to her advantage.
As far as she's concerned whatever 'Mech she's working on is
her baby, and she is the final word on how repairs go!

While piloting a 'Mech she tries to put her meekness aside and
fight seriously, though it proves to be . . difficult at
times. While she has a natural aptitude for piloting, she's
not very good at straight-up combat. To date, she's only won a
handful of 'Mech Battles. She believes the only reason she is
actually in the show is due to her purely lucky win against a
person that was ranked quite a bit higher than her.

Backround: Mommy was a technician, Daddy was technician . . so
of course Angelika is going to be a technician! Well . .
part-time. Ever since she was young Angelika found herself
enthralled by the epic battles in her planet's arenas, so of
course, she'd join up once she got old enough to be allowed
to! Shame she really wasn't THAT good at it.

The fact that her family worked in one of the local 'Mech Labs
on Solaris VII, and that she grew up learning all the tricks
of the trade from Techs and 'Mech Jockeys alike has given her
a foot into the door at least. Skipping more traditional
schooling she focused on learning everything she could about
anything that interested her, mainly via library studies and
hanging around with adults. They tolerated her because . .
well . . she was adorable! It also helped that she could keep
a secret, and was more than willing to be an alibi if the
authorities decided to be troublesome.

"No no, that's impossible! Uncle was with me yesterday helping
tutor me in economics!"

When Angelika finally became a liscenced combatant in the
Arenas, she stuck to the Lightweight classes. Her 'Mech of
choice was a modified Stinger with a simple SRM 2 and a Medium
Laser, tweaked to get more speed and jumping power at the
sacrifice of a bit of it's already meager armor. Honestly, she
didn't do that well against the more experienced pilots that
were used to fighting jump MechWarriors like Angelika. Still
she managed to win at least 1 out of every 3 fights, sometimes
a little better, and even managed a phenominal come from
behind win against a higher-skilled rising star when his
heat-sinks failed and disabled his 'Mech! Now, she's been
chosen to join this silly show and get her hands on a Medium
'Mech, as well as a shot at the big time. If she's lucky . . .

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Paladin on June 02, 2010, 06:10:52 PM
:( They what? *Whimpers* I really don't want to see B-tech, Cthulhutech, and Shadowrun go under
Battletech and Shadowrun aren't at risk.  Just Catalyst.  CGL doesn't even own Shadowrun; they lease the rights to use it from... Hasbro, I think.  Worst case, the rights just go to another company.

AllieCat

Paladin

Katina Tarask

Latooni Subota

Aether

This was my first table top game ever, still have lots and lots of books.

I did try and read through the 4 pages of ooc, but I cant tell where you are at player wise!  Do you need more peeps?

gods of Kobal, I love Battletech...

Katina Tarask

Right now, it's looking more like we might need a GM.  Allie hasn't been around in a while.

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on June 09, 2010, 01:16:45 AM
This was my first table top game ever, still have lots and lots of books.

I did try and read through the 4 pages of ooc, but I cant tell where you are at player wise!  Do you need more peeps?

gods of Kobal, I love Battletech...

This is an online game. Its also using the Newest version of Battletech... if it ever starts.

To the others, I am willing to wait on allie, if someones willing to IM help me finish my character.

AllieCat

see my note elsewhere. Life has been extra crazy.. but this is the last week of the extra crazy :)

AllieCat

Update: One character has finalized their stats, and is just working on story. I'll try to catch up with other players as time allows (the fact that I'm posting at 5 AM may inform you that it may be a bitof time :P

Skystomp

I'm still around. Just been busy with RL stuff and haven't had time to sit down and re-work my char, he's got a Body of 1, and I'm not sure how to get it higher.

Aether

Quote from: AllieCat on May 22, 2010, 07:43:15 PM

A) Succession Wars Era (3025-3039)
~or~

Q2:  Straight Battletech, Mechwarrior or mix?

C) Mix

A) House Forces (one of the Great Houses, or a minor power)
~or~
B) Mercenaries

Q4: Use MegaMek?

A) MegaMek

C: Depends on the situation, game not solely dedicated to one or the other.

I am looking for character info right now, is it in this thread somewhere?

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on June 13, 2010, 11:00:57 PM
I am looking for character info right now, is it in this thread somewhere?

Um Aether, the scenario has been decided. Its a Solaris game. Sorry

Aether

Sorry for what, Paladin?

Is that to say there are no openings in this rp?

Anyone?

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on June 14, 2010, 07:17:24 PM
Sorry for what, Paladin?

Is that to say there are no openings in this rp?

Anyone?

No no, theres openings. By sorry I meant that they game type has been decided .

Aether

All one on one stuff then.

Is there a character creation process?

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on June 14, 2010, 09:12:57 PM

umm no clue about the one on one thing. as for the process its standrd creation out of the new battletech stuff by catalyst.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Aether on June 14, 2010, 09:12:57 PM

Six thousand experience points, as per A Time of War, using pure points or lifepaths as you prefer.  Basics, like your mech (medium mech, by the by), are provided by the program we're all in.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on May 22, 2010, 08:55:29 PM
Oh.  I'm working out of this one.  Er... looks like I'm going off of the limb 'splodey version. ^^U

umm yea, that not the one that allie gave me.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Paladin on June 14, 2010, 09:38:33 PM
umm yea, that not the one that allie gave me.
No, it isn't, and it's not the one I'm using anymore.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 14, 2010, 09:44:24 PM
No, it isn't, and it's not the one I'm using anymore.

hmm thats strasnge it took me to the other page and not this last one.

AllieCat

BTW, apropos of nothing while I wait for everyone's characters...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY (does the Happy Kitty Dance)

Not only is my schedule at work getting better (although they finally got around to adding E to the blocklist at work :(), I saw this today!

http://catalystgamelabs.com/2010/06/14/catalyst-game-labs-license-extension-imminent/

Catalyst Game Labs License Extension Imminent

After weeks of discussion, The Topps Company and Catalyst Game Labs are both pleased to announce that a license extension to the popular intellectual properties of BattleTech and Shadowrun is under final review. All terms have been agreed upon, and the paperwork should be ready for signatures very soon. In the meantime, Catalyst Game Labs continues to operate as manager for the two brands under the operations extension allowed by their original license.

“Working with The Topps Company continues to be a pleasure,” said Randall Bills, Catalyst’s Managing Developer. “We feel we are improving relations every day.”

Tina Trenkler, The Topps Company manager overseeing Catalyst’s operations, said, “We are very happy to have Catalyst continue to be involved with these important licenses and are fully supportive in helping them regain their footing.”

Catalyst Game Labs recently released an historical sourcebook for BattleTech, Operation Klondike, which is being received as one of their best titles in the last year, and will be shortly releasing for print publication Technical Readout: 3085 for BattleTech, as well as Corporate Guide and the much-anticipated Sixth World Almanac for Shadowrun.

Catalyst Game Labs

Catalyst Game Labs is dedicated to producing high quality games and fiction that mesh sophisticated game mechanics with dynamic universes-all presented in a form that allows beginning players and long-time veterans to easily jump into our games and fiction readers to enjoy our stories even if they don’t know the games.

Catalyst Game Labs is an imprint of InMediaRes Productions, LLC, which specializes in electronic publishing of professional fiction. This allows Catalyst to participate in a synergy that melds printed gaming material and fiction with all the benefits of electronic interfaces and online communities, creating a whole-package experience for any type of player or reader. Find Catalyst Game Labs online at www.catalystgamelabs.com

AllieCat

BTW, I was informed that if I do the Happy Kitty Dance, I have to SHOW the Happy Kitty Dance.. so here it is!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aether

I have a character nuts and bolts wise written up, where do we post them?

AllieCat

Right here in the thread, or to me in a PM :)

Katina Tarask

Character draft:

Name: Anju 'The Gecko' Kiyomizu
Sex: Female
Height: 5'10"

Bio:
Twenty-five years ago, Sadao Kiyomizu, formerly a Mechwarrior from the Draconis Combine, came to Solaris VII with little more than his family, his sword, and his heavy assault mech.  And with his talents and resources, he took the most obvious job available to him; he fought in the games, and fared well.  Extremely well, in fact, climbing his way to the top as 'Sadao the Dragon,' one of the most brutal and spectacular contestants to ever compete in the games.

Over the course of a few years, the man was on a rampage in the ring, an invincible god of destruction.  And then, at last, his greatest opportunity came; a chance to dethrone on of the top twenty in a one-on-one duel, and take his rank for himself.  He stood against Grisham Hawke, believed to be the only man who could possibly match the Dragon's own brutality.  The match was short, but glorious, as two powerhouses went head-to-head.  In the end, Grisham managed a disastrous blow that by all rights should have taken Sadao out of the fight, if not killed the man, and yet, as Grisham turned to gloat over his victory, the Dragon rose in a mech that had no business standing for one final exchange, and this time, it was the Hawke who came out on the losing end.  Sadao had earned his place among the elite.

However, this victory had come with a price.  He had to be hospitalized immediately, where he lost one arm, and one leg.  Although he was able to afford low-grade prosthetics, he took the chance to immediately retire, restoring Grisham's rank, but not his honor.  There were rumors that his son, Hayate, might be trained as the Dragon's successor, that came to naught; Hayate was no fighter, instead taking to the more administrative side of the games, in the marketing department.  Sadao himself never truly left the games; to this day, he is still a sometime-commentator, a historian, an authority on the up-and-comers, and sometimes even an instructor.

Though his fame has long since faded in the years after his retirment, he still has a small cult of devotees that practically swear by his name, comparing all up-and-comers to him, and in more informed circles he's counted with distinction among the greats of the game, and his final match is still counted among the ten greatest fights Solaris VII has ever seen.  His career has seen two sanctioned holovid adaptations, the more recent spearheaded by his son.

And then, four years ago, a young woman joined an amateur match with the Dragon's sword and a banged-up old mech, and tore through the opposition.  Having trained in secret for years, the not-quite-forgotten Dragon's successor had finally arrived; Anju Kiyomizu, daughter of Hayate Kiyomizu, grandaughter of Sadao the Dragon.  However, despite her triumphant entry, Anju couldn't match the momentum of her grandfather's entry, she couldn't simply tear her way up the ranks as the Dragon did.  Although her first matches made a significant splash in the news, she soon fell into obscurity, earning the title of 'the Gecko,' meant as an insult, that she's a pale imitation of the Dragon, yet she's embraced it as a symbol of her pride.

Throughout her career, Anju has competed seasonally, working the off-seasons as a Mechwarrior instructor to cover expenses to compete, and maybe scrounging enough money to eat while she's at it.  Recently, her natural charm and C-list fodder celebrity status (and perhaps her cleavage) have landed her an advertising campaign that results in fewer choices between buying enough amunition and being able to buy food for the week.  The money just happens to come from the Silver Minx, one of the system's largest adult service conglomerates.  She doesn't sell her body or anything, but it's a conservative ad for her when she's wearing socks.  It's certainly made her teaching career more interesting.

ReijiTabibito

Are you guys still looking for pilots?  I'm a huge Battletech fan (I even own all the novels!), but I'm afraid I'm not intimately familiar with this new system...also, are we allowed to customize our 'Mechs?

Latooni Subota

The PLOT is going to give us randomly selected medium mechs. After that, assuming we earn money, customizing wouldn't be a bad idea. But from the start, not so much, since we have no idea what mechs we'll have to start with.

Sidenote: I WANNA KNOW! D:<

ReijiTabibito

Ah, so we start out with a stock medium, and then go from there...we don't even get to pick which medium we have?  Granted, I wouldn't exactly go for top-of-the-line...but I don't wanna be stuck in a freaking Clint either...an Enforcer III, Bushwacker, or Shadow Hawk (5D variant) would be nice...

Can I get some help with character creation?

Katina Tarask

ReijiTabibito

Unfortunately, I don't think so.  I took a look at your character sheet, Kat, and I've never seen anything like it.

wildstar

wow sorry guys I've had a interesting couple weeks. had to move out of my old place to a new one. ( rent cheaper now). I will have a character ready by tomorrow. a couple things I want to know is if it's ok if I can use a SHADOW HAWK? and this is a question if anyone has the game books for either Cranston snord's Irregular and Rolling thunder? these are two game books of Battletech of two units one Mercenary one of the Free Worlds league. I had these books but I lost them somehow and want to get them back. if someone knows where I could download then in a PDF file I would be so happy. :)

Katina Tarask

Log onto AIM, please, Reiji.

Wildstar, choice of mech is a trait you can buy.

ReijiTabibito

@Kat:  Okay.  I'm on.  Name's the same as here.  Of course, you could figure that out easy by just putting your cursor over my AIM icon... >_<

wildstar

oh one thing on that I don't have the book your using to make mechwarriors. how should I go to find out how?

Latooni Subota

Up to six players now? Lance and a half . . well, if you still want to join, then make characters fast! I'm tired of waiting :P

-Innocent Teehee-

Then again, if Allie doesn't mind running more, getting up to EIGHT players would let us actually make dedicated lances, and do high-profile gigs. Things to think over.

wildstar

oh ok. here is mine then.

Name: Micheal Sharpe
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 160 Lbs

history: it had been a long road to come here. Sharpe never thought he would ever be on the Game World of Solaris but here he was. one thing that drove him to come was he could get a Mech. everything hinged on getting into one of the 20 to 100 ton BattleMechs. his goal, get into the games win then take the winnings and form his own mercenary company. then... well that was if those who wanted him dead didn't find him first. no one know Sharpe here. he wanted to keep it that way.. for now. he would one day make those who killed his parents pay. that payback would be in a mech. 

this is a rough draft but complete for what I had in mind for my character. ( oh and I drew this pic. :) )

ReijiTabibito

Okay, to answer the questions...even though it would seem like that I'm not going to be able to change anything.

Q1: Either C or D.  I want me my Rotary Autocannon, dammit!

Q2: C.  That's what all good Battletech campaigns are made of!

Q3: A/D. 

Q4: B. 

Q5: A.

ReijiTabibito

Allie?  What precisely do we have to do in order to have a specific BattleMech?  It's a medium, and I know which one I want...though if this is the 3050s, I'm not sure if some of the variants will be available...

AllieCat

For the show itself, you're going to be issued a mech (sponsorship, and all that), but when we get done with the show, all you need is the Vehicle trait at an appropriate level, and if it's available around 3055, you're good to go :)

ReijiTabibito

3055...I'm afraid that over the years, my memory of what BattleMechs came out when has kinda degraded.  If there's a list somewhere that I could consult on that, that'd be helpful.

Or even better, I can tell you what 'Mech I'm interested in (the Shadow Hawk), and maybe you can tell me which variants were available when?

Aether

I finally figured out the point buy thing.  So my character is golden via the technical side of it.  I just need to write up the feeling side of him  :P  Okay, so we have a mech in Solaris and we need a mech for outside?  And thats covered with the vehicle perk?  What level do I want for a light, medium, heavy etc?

Latooni Subota

Reiji, you have plenty of time to look things up, since the show will probably take quite a while considering how many people we have. XD

AllieCat

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 17, 2010, 07:11:14 AM
3055...I'm afraid that over the years, my memory of what BattleMechs came out when has kinda degraded.  If there's a list somewhere that I could consult on that, that'd be helpful.

Or even better, I can tell you what 'Mech I'm interested in (the Shadow Hawk), and maybe you can tell me which variants were available when?

Looked up the MechList in my Mechy program.. these were the SH from 3025-3055:

SHD-2D
SHD-2D2
SHD-2H
SHD-2K
SHD-5M

ReijiTabibito

Took a look on Sarna.net for help...add to that list the -5S, since according to the Shadow Hawk entry, the -5S is just a -5M with the weapons loadout changed. 

But still, alas, no -5D variant...

AllieCat

Yeah, looks like that one's a decade or so in the future (started to be made in 3055)

ReijiTabibito

Yep.  The 5D variant has the Rotary Autocannon (which is love), which wasn't out until the 60s, I think...

Paladin

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 17, 2010, 08:46:21 PM
Yep.  The 5D variant has the Rotary Autocannon (which is love), which wasn't out until the 60s, I think...

*Shrugs* Guess thats a no then. ;)

Aether

I cant even believe how many times I have rebuilt this character...

I am staring at the random mech tables.  The years are all off for when we are playing.  So, if I go heavy for vehicle (+6 tp) and custom (+2 tp) for my choice of my affiliation, can I safely choose from the mechs in this book, or do I need to find my favorite version in the given year we are playing off of the web from the offerings vis the random tables in time of war?

Latooni Subota

Note: It's a RANDOM SELECTION of mechs for us. There's no point in dealing with the Vehicle set of traits, unless you're gonna save it for a long long time, when the Solaris VII stuff is finished. >>;

As for finding the mechs, I'll help you with that when we get to the part, if you keep the Vehicle trait and custom for now.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 18, 2010, 02:21:17 PM
Note: It's a RANDOM SELECTION of mechs for us. There's no point in dealing with the Vehicle set of traits, unless you're gonna save it for a long long time, when the Solaris VII stuff is finished. >>;

As for finding the mechs, I'll help you with that when we get to the part, if you keep the Vehicle trait and custom for now.

Umm, I'm not so sure its completely Randome my dear I think we get a little bit of a choice.

Latooni Subota

What I'm saying is that the Vehicle traits are useless for quite some time, and even if we suggest some 'Mechs for the big pool of 'Mechs, it IS ultimately random. :x

Aether

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 18, 2010, 04:32:36 PM
even if we suggest some 'Mechs for the big pool of 'Mechs, it IS ultimately random. :x

The custom vehicle trait allows a choice amongst the columns, therefore, not random at all.

Aether

Character Name:  Lowan Malakta

Affiliation:  Mercenary born and raised, 5th son of a well to do mother and a belligerent and abusive father whose dream was to make it big and retire on the one "great mission."

Details concerning his person: 

LM is lanky, yet very precise in movement.  He is also not very tall, standing in at 1.71 m tall and weighing 62 kg.  He is not a commanding type, preferring to with hold his input and use it as critique later once a plan is well into its execution.  Quite knowledgeable and book smart, he lacks any real sort of conviction, usually working hard with what he knows and playing equally hard after wards.  He is not unfriendly, yet he is not all that approachable.  Oh, and dont ask him to open something you cant break a seal on, or lift a share of a heavy burden.  There is no dynamo hiding in his almost unhealthy and slight frame.

Limited Biography, or what the world knows: 

LM grew up with 11 other siblings, 8 boys and 3 girls.  Life before he fully came into what little height he had was a live it by the moment and seat of your pants type of day.  He achieved his full height at 8 years of age and weighed nine tenths of actual now.  This gave his parents great hope, in that they knew he would grow to become a titan once he hit puberty.  Well, genetics had a different plan for LM.  It so happened that he was bracketed in birth by stocky and chiseled males of whom his parents eventually prized above all their children.  In fact, LM was labeled as the mistake that needed to have been to produce the sixth child, the fifth boy, that masked the physical prowess of the fourth child.  He became the runt of the litter.  His body, which would have grown as it did any ways, further accentuated his treatment by his family and others and made his deficiencies worst. 

Yet, he excelled in other areas purely as a means of survival.

First and foremost, he fed his mind and read any and everything he could get his hands on.  Mainly, for the mercenary brat, this was tech readouts on various equipment.  He was able to make some of his fellow mech piloting friends sorry for him when he was quite young, and he was able to learn from those he bent his grief upon.  Of those he beguiled, a few were, and not limited to the electrician who taught him the mysteries of the circuit, the judo master who saw LM's dexterous movements and took pity upon him, but most of all, and his ticket from this place, was the mech jocks that surrounded him. 

He knew his technical applications inside and out and offered to many on post mission banter ways that there mech could have performed differently had they leaned this way, or twisted just so.  Impressed, LM soon found his way into a cockpit and learning what it was to become a mech warrior. 

After much refinement of his skills with his friends, he asked his parents to sit in on a simulation run that he had set up.  Truly, he felt, they attended only cause they thought they were to have a supreme laugh.  He surprised them however, greatly.  His perfect knowledge of the anatomy of battlemechs lead to an amazing efficiency in his targeting producing quick and effortless kills.  His parents sat stunned and quickly offered him a chance to work with the mercenary groups based on what they had seen.

Well, if it could only be that simple.

His siblings, who never had to worry about LM as a source of competition, now saw a threat more keenly in him due to his knowledge of the mech.  They, therefore, gathered against him in one unique way or another, but ultimately to the same goal, to set a wedge between him and his parents. 

How he ends up in the Program: 

It took time, but eventually, his parents offered him severance from the family business, along with a monthly stipend to show that they would not abandon one of their own completely.  LM took with him his as of yet unquantified mech (+8 divided some way, as of yet undetermined).

His siblings, jealous of his sudden freedom and wealth, slandered him openly and broadly in every ways possible.  Their work, eleven of them strong, spread quite a distance over the hyper waves, marring his reputation with dark and insidious lies.

With a heavy and vindictive heart, LM set his eyes on Solaris VII as a means to release his angst and use his knowledge to get himself some quick coin and possibly distinguish himself as a truly unique Malakta.

The pain of his transition lead him into the abuse of a painkiller that he used to numb out to the world after hard days, and oh gee, all of the days were hard.  He merely pays for a monthly script of his fave of the moment and nocks one back to get to sleep.

Aether

Attributes:

STR:2,BOD:4,DEX:7,RFL:4,INT:7,WIL:2,CHA:2,EDG:2.

Traits

Animal Antipathy:-1,STR 2 Drug Addict:-2,Reputation:-2.
NA Gunnery:+3,Fast Learner+3,Extra Income:+2,Vehicle and Custom Vehicle:+8

Skills:

Mech Pilot (S):  8
Mech Gunner (S):  7
Aerospace Pilot:  4
Aerospace Gunner:  4

Sensor Ops:  6
Perception:  4

Electrical Tech:  6
Communications/EM:  3

Martial Arts:  5
Stealth:  3

Ground Nav:  4
Driving:  1

English:  3
Small Arms:  2
Swimming:  2

Latooni Subota

No . . you're not understanding me. @.@

She's not using those columns or anything. She is hand-picking a group of medium 'Mechs and is going to randomly assign one to each of us, as part of the contest. @.@;

Aether

I understand that, then after the "show" we have what we built into our character, which will be gotten from somewhere, and if its by the character rules, then I wanted to make sure and not pigeon hole myself by writing my character as a part of a house that did not have any mechs I liked.  Thus the idea of going heavy with a choice within my affiliation, yaddi yadda...

No worries, I simply have the xp available when we come to that point.

Skystomp

Can we have our own personal mech, if we take the right traits, one not for use in the show, but one that belongs to us alone? I REALLY REALLY want to get into the cockpit of a Warhammer again.

Do we have to use the Lifepath stuff? I was under the impression we did. If we don't... and we have 6k points to spend, I'd rather go pure points. Am I wrong?

Paladin

Quote from: Skystomp on June 19, 2010, 07:59:38 PM
Can we have our own personal mech, if we take the right traits, one not for use in the show, but one that belongs to us alone? I REALLY REALLY want to get into the cockpit of a Warhammer again.

Do we have to use the Lifepath stuff? I was under the impression we did. If we don't... and we have 6k points to spend, I'd rather go pure points. Am I wrong?

Everyone else has used the lifeepath stuff, the pur points thing is optional.

Katina Tarask

I didn't think anyone else has used lifepaths; I went pure points, with Allie's approval.  I believe Aether used pure points, and possibly Latooni.  It's a far easier way to go about things.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 19, 2010, 08:03:23 PM
I didn't think anyone else has used lifepaths; I went pure points, with Allie's approval.  I believe Aether used pure points, and possibly Latooni.  It's a far easier way to go about things.

I thought I was using lifepath. *Is so confused now*

Skystomp

You're not alone Paladin. I've been using Lifepaths as well and getting frustrated with the costs to do anything other then 1 specific thing. Was going for a Doctor/Mechwarrior from a Noble House.

Katina Tarask

*Shrug.*  Then just do points.  A lot easier to whip up in Excel.

Skystomp

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 19, 2010, 10:34:49 PM
*Shrug.*  Then just do points.  A lot easier to whip up in Excel.

The problem is, is if its not points and its lifepath, then you will have to remake.

Aether

Lifepaths are neat and add alot of flavor, I think, I really liked what I came up with and you actually get a bit of a point reduction here and there for your troubles.  But when you have +10 -1 traits that you cant buy off, to me, its too much.  And the system breaks down at that point.  Thats simply as I read the rules.

Pure points cuts out the head ache, the pre requ's and some of the guess whether or not you have enough points to get where you want to go after wards.

Mechs you buy in character creation are yours, picked from some undetermined list as of yet as far as I know, and we use them AFTER the Solaris Show.  I have been dreaming of a couple different variations of the Marauder, Riffleman, or the Warhammer...

Latooni Subota

As for me, I use all lights all the time, except for the rare exceptions of: Hunchback, Vulture, Catapult, Longbow . . . I generally tend to use a Dasher, Raven, or a Phoenix Hawk if I have a billion zillion C-Bills lying around. :o

Or something. WHatever. Yes, I used pure points as well, just because I hate the new lifepath system. I MUCH preferred the old lifepaths.

ReijiTabibito

And here I'd forgotten that I could pick whatever BattleMech I liked...staying stuck in the Medium 'Mech mindset... >_<  Well, that'll show me.

Skystomp

Well, rough draft chracter numbers sent to allicat. Here's to hoping that I got it right this time! Hehe

Latooni Subota

Jeez, I still get annoyed at how long this is taken, considering how long ago I sent in my numbers and finished my character XD

I'm so bad. Maybe I'll tweak my numbers a bit.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 20, 2010, 08:16:45 PM
Jeez, I still get annoyed at how long this is taken, considering how long ago I sent in my numbers and finished my character XD

I'm so bad. Maybe I'll tweak my numbers a bit.

Not my fault.

Latooni Subota

Ahh, didn't you know? If you say it's not your fault then it's your fault! You should've stayed silent, Paladin, so someone else would say it! Dun dun dunnn! ;o

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 20, 2010, 08:34:05 PM
Ahh, didn't you know? If you say it's not your fault then it's your fault! You should've stayed silent, Paladin, so someone else would say it! Dun dun dunnn! ;o

Ah yes, but I'm immune to those rules. Its in my contract. I always have to say. "Its not my Fault" therefore its inerintly built into the contract that it really is Not my fault. ;)

Katina Tarask

Except the act of having that in your contract means that it's automatically always your fault.  Poor planning, that.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 20, 2010, 09:22:15 PM
Except the act of having that in your contract means that it's automatically always your fault.  Poor planning, that.

Nope cause I didn't put in the contract. It was in the fine print that I forgot to read at first. ;)

Latooni Subota

You know what, while we're at it, why don't we actually make a list of who is done, or how much progress each person has made. Just for funsies/book-keeping/my own curiosity.

Latooni Subota: Done with everything. Everything. :3

Aether

I have 8 pts to spend on the mech that my character owns.

Character completed above.

I have megamek d/l'ed and on my computer though I dont know how to use it.

I work Fri thru Mon all evenings at gmt-6.

I have msn, gchat and talk and skype.  I am horrible with IRC if someone can talk me through it I may be able to navigate it.

Skystomp

Eunice "Doc" Brown, finished with rough draft pending approval. Background to come. So... 1/2 way done.

Paladin

PAladin: MAybe Halfway through creation and still needing help.

Do not have this Mega program and if it costs money, I won't be having it wich means I will have to drop out but I doubt I will be missed.

Latooni Subota

What is it that you don't understand, anyways? I find it hard to believe that you couldn't figure out the system after being able to read the book for this long, no offense. What did you get hung up on?

Katina Tarask

Really, there's not much to help with.  The table on page 85 is nearly all you need.  Just take that, reference the skill and trait lists, slap something together in Excel and you're set.  Mecha are later, and most money matters can be ignored for now.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 22, 2010, 07:32:09 PM
What is it that you don't understand, anyways? I find it hard to believe that you couldn't figure out the system after being able to read the book for this long, no offense. What did you get hung up on?

I don't have the book. I have the PDF, and I have trouble reading PDF's on screen. IT makes my eyes and head hurt. Its also a NEW system compared to that which I know and for a first time build help makes things easier.

Latooni Subota

. . . And you didn't increase the size of the text? Copy it to word and print the pages you need? Have you tried any of these options?

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on June 22, 2010, 08:20:38 PM
. . . And you didn't increase the size of the text? Copy it to word and print the pages you need? Have you tried any of these options?

Can't. I have no working printer, and no, you can increase the txtx size of a PDF.

Katina Tarask

You can increase the page size (and along with it, text size) to whatever you need in order to make it legible, or you can copy text into Word in order to read it there in whatever size and font best suits your needs.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 22, 2010, 08:55:46 PM
You can increase the page size (and along with it, text size) to whatever you need in order to make it legible, or you can copy text into Word in order to read it there in whatever size and font best suits your needs.

Its also the whole reading on screen thing.

Katina Tarask

This entire forum is about reading on-screen.  You're reading on-screen right now.  You cannot be on this forum without having some sort of coping method.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 22, 2010, 09:10:36 PM
This entire forum is about reading on-screen.  You're reading on-screen right now.  You cannot be on this forum without having some sort of coping method.

STrangely its diffrent. I can read everything on here fine, but reading PDF's and Office Text hurts my eyes. I don't know why.

Katina Tarask

Then copy the text from the pdf to Elliquiy and then preview the post, or PM excerpts to yourself, or just futz with background and text colors until you find something more tolerable.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on June 22, 2010, 09:17:51 PM
Then copy the text from the pdf to Elliquiy and then preview the post, or PM excerpts to yourself, or just futz with background and text colors until you find something more tolerable.

As I said, its not just that. When I don't know a system and am new to it, it it easier and more helpful in helping me understand it if I have help.

Aether

I do still need to start my character out with items, what are starting funds?

Latooni Subota

Page 129.

0 Wealth is 1000 C-Bills. Be sure to ask Allie if she'll give us any starting items though.

Aether

I have flipped through that frackin book so many times, its easy to get lost in it, and by book, I mean e-book, cause it isnt even in print yet as I understand it...?

Thank you for the answer!

Latooni Subota

It's not much for me, imo. The only problem I had with it was dealing with me being so used to Classic Battletech XD

But yeah, the Index is your friend. It helps a lot when you need something specific. Also, googling your question to find FAQs about that sorta stuff.

Katina Tarask

You don't need to worry about much; the show provides the basics.  Neurohelmet, cooling vest, food, shelter, the essentials.  Money's more for wants and things you want to have on hand after the show.

Aether

And hows about past the show?  Will we keep all that pricey equipment?  Or will we need to replace it?

Heres another question...  I am taking extra income (though I may switch it to wealth, toying with the idea...) and am wondering if based on 500c bills extra a month if I can start the game with 1500 c bills instead of 1000, and get my next 500 a month later game wise.

There are some expensive items that go along with my skills and possibly needing to buy the mech atire etc for after wards, and armor, and weapons, yaddi yadda.

Aether

And Yet Another question...

If I build my own mech, what book do I use?

Latooni Subota

You're better off downloading The Drawing Board. It's a program for making 'Mechs, and it can save 'Mech sheets for use in MegaMek and stuff.

Or other similar programs. Yeah.

You can probably google anything you don't understand about how parts or weapons work.

Aether

I have 100's of 100's of scratch made mechs, all based on 3050's or so...  just wanted to make sure nothing had changed...

wildstar

hi everyone gesh I finally got the PDf file of Time of War downloaded. darn my wireless internet was having trouble. sometimes I like to hit it with a ER laser at times. lol. ok here's my character fully done.

Name: Micheal Sharpe
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 160 Lbs
affiliation: House Steiner, Noble born (minor)

LYRAN ALLIANCE (HOUSE STEINER)
MODULE
COST 150 XP
AFFILIATION
Loosely patterned on feudal Germany, with other Western
European infl uences apparent (most notably Swiss and
Scottish), the Lyran Alliance—originally known as the Lyran
Commonwealth—is a heavily industrialized and mercantile realm.
Many Lyrans see warfare as a dirty business and simply aspire to
great wealth or high social standing. As a result, the Lyran military
frequently comes off as lackluster, while Lyran merchants and
political leaders seem ruthlessly sharp.
Primary
Language German
Secondary
Language English, Italian, Scots Gaelic, Swedish
Fixed XPs
[Attributes] WIL (–50 XP), EDG (–50 XP); [Traits]
Equipped (+100 XP), Extra Income (+50 XP),
Wealth (+100 XP), Choose either Combat
Paralysis or Glass Jaw (–100 XP); [Skills]
Negotiation (+15 XP), Appraisal (+10 XP),
Protocol/Lyran (+15 XP)
Sub-Affi liations
Alarion
Province
[Attributes] CHA (–50 XP); [Traits] Wealth
(+70 XP); [Skills] Administration (+10 XP),
Interest/Any (+10 XP), Language/Any (+10 XP),
Negotiation (+10 XP)
Bolan
Province
[Traits] Compulsion/Hatred of House Marik
(–50 XP), Connections (+50 XP), Wealth (+25
XP); [Skills] Administration (+5 XP), Negotiation
(+15 XP), Protocol/Lyran (+10 XP), Streetwise/
Lyran (+5 XP)
Coventry
Province
[Attributes] WIL (+100 XP); [Traits] Compulsion/
Hatred of Clans (–95 XP), Wealth (+25 XP);
[Skills] Administration (+10 XP), Negotiation
(+10 XP), Protocol/Lyran (+10 XP)
Donegal
Province
[Attributes] WIL (+50 XP); [Traits] Compulsion/
Greedy (–75 XP), Connections (+50 XP),
Reputation (–50 XP), Wealth (+50 XP); [Skills]
Appraisal (+10 XP), Negotiation (+10 XP),
Protocol/Lyran (+15 XP)
Skye
Province
[Attributes] WIL (+100 XP); [Traits] Connections
(+85 XP), Reputation (–150 XP); [Skills]
Language/Scots Gaelic (+10 XP), Negotiation
(+15 XP), Protocol/Lyran (–15 XP), Streetwise/
Lyran (+15 XP)
Flexible XPs None

NOBILITY
Module Cost: 215 XP
The noble-born character is blessed with the most privileged
of upbringings, receiving upper class status, top-rate education
and a luxurious lifestyle where every need and many desires are
automatically met. As a result, “bluebloods” often seem cultured,
but suff er from the indulgences of their soft lives.
Prerequisites: Any non-Clan affi liation; 5+ TP (total) in Title,
Wealth or Property Traits
Fixed XPs: [Attributes] STR (–75 XP), BOD (–75 XP), RFL (–50 XP),
INT (+100 XP), CHA (+100 XP); [Traits] Equipped (+125 XP), Enemy
(–200 XP), Glass Jaw (–100 XP), Reputation (+175 XP), Wealth (+150
XP); [Skills] Appraisal (+5 XP), Art/Any (+10 XP), Interest/Any (+10
XP), Language/Affi liation (+10 XP), Protocol/Affi liation (+10 XP)
Flexible XPs: +5 XP each to any four Attributes, Traits or Skills

MILITARY SCHOOL
Module Cost: 500 XP
Whether by punishment or as a matter of familial pride, the
character that spends his late childhood in military school comes
away from the experience with a host of skills and a sense of
discipline that can boost any eventual military or political career.
Prerequisites: WIL 3+
Fixed XPs: [Attributes] CHA (+50 XP); [Traits] Connections
(+15 XP), Fit (+15 XP), Rank (+20 XP); [Skills] Career/Soldier (+25
XP), Computers (+35 XP), Interest/Any (+30 XP), Interest/Military
History (+40 XP), Leadership (+20 XP), Martial Arts (+30 XP),
Medtech (+10 XP), Melee Weapons (+20 XP), Protocol/Affi liation
(+30 XP), Running (+30 XP), Small Arms (+50 XP), Strategy (+10
XP), Swimming (+30 XP)
Flexible XPs: +40 XP (may only be applied to Skills)

history: it had been a long road to come here. Sharpe never thought he would ever be on the Game World of Solaris but here he was. one thing that drove him to come was he could get a Mech. everything hinged on getting into one of the 20 to 100 ton BattleMechs. his goal, get into the games win then take the winnings and form his own mercenary company. then... well that was if those who wanted him dead didn't find him first. no one know Sharpe here. he wanted to keep it that way.. for now. he would one day make those who killed his parents pay. that payback would be in a mech. 

Sharpe is the only son of a good noble on the planet Loxley. Sharpe's family comes from a long line of solders who fought in different wars. from ancient Terra to the Succesion wars to the Clan wars. Sharpe  always had a good mind. learning from his father how to pilot a Mech at the age of 12. he intilled in his son the values of protecting his home and House. Sharpe's mother taught him honesty and caring for she had seen many other Nobles treating their subjects poorly. for years the Sharpe family had ruled the Planet Loxley helping the population grow economicly and giving pride.

about 6 months ago Sharpe's parents died in what was said to of been an accident. but Micheal learned that his father's brother had a hand in it. his Uncle had for years wanted the throne of Loxley for himself. so he had paid to have Sharpe's parents murdered. after he tried to have Sharpe and his sister Maya killed but Sharpe's father's freind Master Serget O'Donald had come and rescued him and his sister from Sharpe's uncle's goons. Sharpe and his sister with O'Donald fled to Solaris where he had O'Donald take his sister Maya to his Aunt who was a minor noble on Solaris. at first Micheal did not think of becoming a warrior in the games. but the thought of getting a mech and winning the prize money could fund him forming a merc unit he could use to stop his Uncle's ambition. Maya was worried if Sharpe showed himself on the show which their Aunt had suggested Micheal try out for could show their uncle where they were. she was even worried of Micheal getting killed.

Micheal agreed to do it. he bade O'Donald to watch over Maya for him for awhile and headed for the stable sponsering this show.

I hope this is a better Bio so I am ready for action.         

Aether

What tech level are working from, peeps?  I presume 2.  3 is kinda cool, but there is a bunch of crazy crap in there...

AllieCat

3055 level 2 :)

Looks like we're close to being ready to go.. I'll do a once over on the thread, and start the thread up over the weekend :)

Latooni Subota

Here's hoping the one really GOOD mech is something epic and out of class, like a Venom or Phoenix Hawk. <333

Also, if the obligatory lemon is an Urbanmech, I'll still love it XD

AllieCat

Well, I'll have to mix it up, but in a game I ran for my then BF (now fiancee) and some of his friends that had a similar theme.. (they were in it for the Mech Battles).. it was a rare captured mech. a Black Hawk Prime. One of the players pulled it out of the hat!

The Player: ^_^
Me: X_X

ReijiTabibito

Right.  Now I just need to finish the character I started....

Paladin

Yea same here. I have not had him finished yet and I'm not sure it will.

FRom the looks of my Excell shett I am at the point of trying to gain more bonuse XP by throwing out some of the good Traits and taking bad ones or something like that.

Paladin

>.< and its still; confusing the hell outa me at this point. *Sighs*

Paladin

Yea still making my brain hurt loads trying to figure this stuff out. Sadly I'm starting to wonder if this is the game for me.

Katina Tarask

It's... not hard.  Seriously, if you can't get yourself through even character-creation at this point, I really doubt you'll be able to handle mech combat.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on July 03, 2010, 01:35:27 PM
It's... not hard.  Seriously, if you can't get yourself through even character-creation at this point, I really doubt you'll be able to handle mech combat.

I'm sorry miss, but I handled mech combat in the 3.0 Edition just fine. I'm always screwey with new systems. now Kindly don't talk to me anymore as You have just thrown an insult my way and now I'm pissed.

Paladin

I apolagize to everyone else, but people that insult me and basically call me stupid shoul try working in a PLastics factory 8-12 hours a day 21 days straight with only 1 day off while then studying for next semsester so they can get another 3.5 GPA for the next semster like they did for this last one.

Maybe if said person woul get on YIM or and AIM program or even PM here and help me finish the chaarcter I would gladly apolagize when they show me its something simple and that I've actually been rather stupid for misreading something or something like that.

Latooni Subota

I'm sorry, but you REALLY don't need to throw a fit over something like this. Plus, you said you don't want Katina to talk to you, and then suddenly change your mind and want her to help you? That's a bit off, don't you think?

If you want, YOU could be the person to IM or PM for help, or look up FAQs on the internet about character creation, or force yourself to read through the pdf until you understand it despite whatever eye problems you might have. There's no need to snap, and get defensive.

Note: This doesn't mean 'go ahead and message me', since i'm rather busy and won't even be home for the majority of the night. >>;

Paladin

When people call you stupid at every stage of your life and youve had to fight to proove them wrong its hard to not get defensive. I am however sorry for snapping at Katina. It was a sudden thing. As for understanding the PDF, I am reading it and still not understanding it at the point I am at. I've even fixed the eye problem issues thanks to your helpful suggestions.

Skystomp

Best way to look at it is, you get your 6 thousand points.
Attributes cost 100 points per attribute 'rank'. Human 'norm' is 3 or 4 I think.
Skills cost varies, you'll have to look at the chart.
Special stuff all costs 100 points per 'rank'

Some of the stuff you'll have to look up is that some skill sets, like being a mechwarrior require like Rank 3, and Reflex 4 or something. So some of the points will be sunk into that. Personally, take the attribute Fast Learner for 300 points. It will more then pay for itself just in creation alone giving you reduced skill costs.

That's the simple way of looking at it. Hell it's what I did because I couldn't get more then a single point in the Body stat and had a rank in glass jaw.... not a fun combo.

Paladin

I'm at he part where you buy back extra points and stuff like that and I'm not quite understanding that part. its like you gotta buy up to this level, or down to this next level? Its like Huh?

Aether

Which means you are doing the life paths.

So, if you have any amount of neg points, from -1 to -99 in a trait, lets say Compulsion: Arrogance, then you have to put an amount of points into the trait to make it an even number divisible by 100.  So lets say it is -65 in Compulsion: Arrogance, well, you need to put 35 skill points to make it an even 100.

Same thing for positive traits.  ie, you have +165 in Fast Learner, you must put another 135 skill points in it to take the trait.

DO NOT FORGET, your first -500 points in neg traits will go directly back to your point pool, but thats after you do the trait buy up buy down.

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on July 05, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
Which means you are doing the life paths.

So, if you have any amount of neg points, from -1 to -99 in a trait, lets say Compulsion: Arrogance, then you have to put an amount of points into the trait to make it an even number divisible by 100.  So lets say it is -65 in Compulsion: Arrogance, well, you need to put 35 skill points to make it an even 100.

Same thing for positive traits.  ie, you have +165 in Fast Learner, you must put another 135 skill points in it to take the trait.

DO NOT FORGET, your first -500 points in neg traits will go directly back to your point pool, but thats after you do the trait buy up buy down.

Sooo if I don't want Fast learner, then dropping it gives me back 165 points then? just using that as an example.

Aether

This is an excellent place for people to confirm or deny what I know about lifepath builds.  As I understand it, you cant simply take or leave stuff thats assigned to your character at whim.  Your character needs all those bits and pieces to make it a part of whatever you chose for steps 1 thru 4.  So, just for an example, you would HAVE to buy up to 300 points to take fast learner.  There is no dropping it.

I ditched this means of building a character cause I had like 5 or 6 compulsions at -50 pts a piece along with alot of other neg traits and I refused to spend the points.

Paladin

yes but I do realize we are using the point build system so maybe its me being so used to life path build and getting the two confused.

Skystomp

I found the Lifepath stuff to be very confusing and got lost when they were talking about buying points back. Frankly, do the point buy. It's a little more expensive at points but you get what you want, how you want it and with little confusion.

AllieCat

I'm at the point where, in a few days (say monday), I'll just go with the people who've submitted character sheets. I know this is bad, especially with the fact I haven't been online much.. but at some point I don't want to lose the ones I have.. so if you can get them in soon, do so please.

Paladin

*Sighs* I knew that would happen somehow. I know I want to play badly. If anyone is willing to try and help so I can get finished I'd be appriciative.

Paladin

Ok I think... THINK I have this Right. Since this is my first time building with this new system i'm not sure of anything. If someone wants to take a look at my excel sheet and do the math I will send it to them but right now I did the best I could while still much confused. Now tos ee if I just need to scrap him or if I need to go on to background stuff.

Name: Kaiser Kerensky
Height: 6 foot 6
Weight: 170 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Slate Grey
Afilliation: Wolf Clan

ATTRIBUTES:
STR: 3
BOD: 4
RFL: 5
DEX: 5
INT: 2
WIL: 5
CHA: 2
EDG: 2

Traits:

POSITIVE

Fast Learner
Equipped Lv1      
Mechwarrior Phenotype
Trueborn
Custom Vehicle Lv6

NEGATIVE

Compulsion/Arrogance Lv1
Compulsion/Distrust of Inner Sphere Lv1
Compulsion/Wolf Pride Lv2
Compulsion/Wolf Honor Lv2
Enemy Lv3

SKILLS

Language: English 1
Perception 2
Intrest/Clan Wolf Remembrance 3
Protocol/Clan Wolf 4
Leadership 4
Strategy 1
Martial Arts 4
Melee Weapons 3
Small Arms 3
Career/Soldier 4
Negotiation 2
Medtech 3
Navigation/Ground 5
Gunnery/Mech 5
Piloting/Battlemech 5
Sensor Operation 3
Taectic/Land 3

Aether

Oh, YAYS!

So there is a tentative start time in mind??

Someone really should pretty please move into the house with me and the other lovely contestants...  Its so lonely in here with all these...  *shudders* ...NPCs...

Latooni Subota

See, this is why I suggested just making it a 24 hour deadline. I'm a brat like that. ;)

Aether

So, considering said deadline, are you just waiting for Allie to close this out then??  Before you join me in the house??  Hmmm????

<.<

>.>

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on July 08, 2010, 05:28:01 PM
See, this is why I suggested just making it a 24 hour deadline. I'm a brat like that. ;)

Some of us have jobs dear. So anyways can you check the character to see if its ok or if it needs changes? I didn't pull any XP out of the skills but it says you can. do I have too many skills, are my stats not high enough? The chaarcters in the book seem much more powerful than us.

Aether

Quote from: Paladin on July 08, 2010, 05:47:05 PM
Some of us have jobs dear.

Sir, some of us have jobs and go to school and barely have time for anything let alone a fun distraction here and there as provided by E.

Dont be so wound up, Paladin.

It would help if you had an actual xp count in there somewhere, or did your spread sheet get you to 6k?

Paladin

Oh I wasn't wound up, I was just mentioning it off hand

My job has me working 12 hours right now. its a bitch. Umm thats just it I have no clue about the excel sheet. I just started working on it. I'm not sure if I'm below, at, or above 6K. If you have excell you can take a look I'll E-mail it to you if you want.

Aether

I have a different way to go about it, I will get back to you in a few.

Latooni Subota

Aether . . pretty much. Kinda. I think so? :3

Aether

So, you wont be here when Allie gets this up and running  ~.~  Have a great trip though, we cant wait to get started and we may certainly need your techies abilities to keep running right!

Paladin

I look forward to playing with you Subota

Latooni Subota

OH, I forgot to change my siggy. I found out I'll be gone the 16th-25th, so I'll be here for at least a week of rp. HOPEFULLY I can get access while in Mexico, but I doubt it. x.o

Aether

Well, YAYS!

I cant recall if you took electronics in your build...

Heres to working together and optimizing some mechs.

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on July 08, 2010, 06:28:35 PM
OH, I forgot to change my siggy. I found out I'll be gone the 16th-25th, so I'll be here for at least a week of rp. HOPEFULLY I can get access while in Mexico, but I doubt it. x.o

Good luck on that gal.

Paladin

Ummm ok so is My character stats and skills and stuff correct?

Also do I need to have the whole thing like background finished to jump in or will stats do for now. Work currently is killing me.

Aether

Trueborn and Phenotype dont have a cost I believe...  Also, did you do this via a lifepath?

Someone may need to double check me, but I only came up with 4867 pts in that build.

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on July 10, 2010, 12:08:32 AM
Trueborn and Phenotype dont have a cost I believe...  Also, did you do this via a lifepath?

Someone may need to double check me, but I only came up with 4867 pts in that build.

I thought it was point build. ... damn if that number is true, nowonder I feel weak.

Paladin

Ok if he only came up with that many points out of 6,000 then I shall add more stuff in and finish up the chaarcter tonight except for maybe background, and background can be written up within the next 2 weeks.