Sins of the Fallen (Pathfinder RPG, Custom World, NC:E possible)

Started by Myrleena, June 26, 2011, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Myrleena

XP is mostly going to be for landmark events.  You defeat a tough foe, negotiate a truce...I'm not going to codify it.  Essentially, you have to do something significant.  Sometimes 'something significant' is simply saving a town by wiping out a minor demonic nest nearby.  In other words, it depends.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, so level at the speed of plot, but with more to track it than "Ok, you level up now". Works for me.

Myrleena

Not...exactly.  See, I won't be tracking it.  I also don't railroad people.  If you decide to do some side quest, or go off in a direction I don't expect you to, you very well might gain 2-3 xp for it.  Or it might be a dead end with nothing worthwhile.  We'll know when we get there.  The game will be distinctly non-linear, and player driven.  Yes, I'll have events happen.  But if they happen, players are perfectly in their rights to ignore those events.  Oh, the consequences, what there are, will still happen.  But I'm not going to railroad you into it.  Thus, 'speed of plot' isn't exactly the right term.  I don't know what is, though.  I'm seeing it as closer to the Milestones that are awarded in the Dresden RPG.

TheGlyphstone

Sounds awesome.

One last question as I finish my mechanical sheet...can the NPC who gave us the 10,000GP item be dead?

Myrleena

Yup.  All it has to be is that it was given to you by an NPC who's important in your history.  Dead, alive...either way works.

TheGlyphstone

Excellent...I squeezed in a one-liner about looting the remains of one of his favorite professors after avenging the camp - that counts as "giving", I think. :D

Myrleena

*grumbles* I hate it when I forget something important until way late...adding the following to skills.  Actually, adding a Skills section.

Skills

Skills will be important in this game, however, much of that is in the hands of the players.  I will only rarely ask for a skill check.  Those times I do ask will be almost exclusively for Perception or Knowledge checks.  If you want to do something that involves a skill, just make the roll and put it down.  If you think someone is lying, roll a sense motive check.  If you want to jump the pit, roll your acrobatics.  If you don't roll, you either won't notice (bluff or perception for most traps) or you'll likely fail what you attempt.  And remember, while social skills help with opponents, they might have things that they will not give up, no matter how bad things get.  Just like PCs, they can resist such skills if they have sufficient motivation.

Genbu83

Well fortunately I've got a fair ammount of investment in several class skills. i'll contribute to the best of my abilities' Inquisitors make for good skill monkies.

TheGlyphstone

How do you handle Knowledge skills, particularly as they relate to identifying monsters and potential abilities/weaknesses they have?

Myrleena

That is what you'll have to roll for when you see a monster.  They have approximate DCs listed by the Knowledge skills, so...roll, and I'll give you the info.  Probably via PM.

TheGlyphstone

Would you be okay with reslotting an item on occasion? I'd like to have my "heirloom" be a locket/necklace that belonged to a loved one, but with the defensive properties of a Cloak of Protection.

Myrleena

Well, considering that there isn't a cloak of protection in Pathfinder...

Go for it.  That isn't a big deal to me.  It's, effectively, a ring of protection swapped into the place of an amulet of natural armor.  No big deal there.

TheGlyphstone

Er, I meant Cloak of Resistance - the saving throws boost. Still okay? I'll assume so - PMing you my completed sheet.

Myrleena

Okay, I'm going to be putting up the threads shortly.  However, please do not post your characters in the character thread unless they've been explicitly approved. (This means TheGlyphStone and Shihong, thus far.)  Also, please don't start posting in the main thread yet.  It's there to give a bit more info, and we'll be starting tomorrow or Friday.  OOC is fair game, however.

Myrleena

Threads are up, Link to OOC will be below.  OOC has links to the other threads as well, so I'm putting the link in the first page and in this post.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111844.0

Genbu83

Have you had a chance to look over Orion Myrleena? Or would you prefer I pm you about him?

Myrleena

Orion's character sheet is fine.  But when last I looked, there wasn't a history with it, and that's the more important bit at the moment.

Genbu83

I've added a history. It should be present in the notes section, but I will PM you the content just for your ease. Let me know whta i need to teak, so I don't break the flow of your story.

Tydorei

Myrleena

Possibly.  I'm waiting for people to finish characters to the point I approve them.  And since I've only had four actual submissions, not all of which have passed muster yet...*shrugs*

Genbu83

I responded to your pm. Shall I assume that my explanation hasn't been read yet?

Myrleena

Sorry, as I said in the OOC thread, it's been a long day.  I thought I responded already, but I guess I didn't.  I'll try to get back to you momentarily.

Katina Tarask

I'm definitely interested, so I'll enter this race.  One minor sticking point.  You say cohorts shouldn't be an extension of the PC, but I'm considering twins, which inherently makes them intimately intertwined.  Is that an issue?