Haunted House

Started by Jester, September 21, 2007, 07:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Is anyone interested in GM'ing a haunted house type game?

The story could be the reading of a will at an old relative's will or perhaps two couples find their cars breaking down at exactly the same place outside a spooky house.

Either way I fancy a little horror action.

Cheers

Sethite

It could be fun to play, but I don't feel very well as a GM.
Truly, madly, deeply...

Celestial Goblin

Why yes, I just might be interested in GM-ing such a game.
Preferably if the character would be somehow forced to live in the house.

For example, an old relative's will requires them to spend time there and if they don't get the will, they'll have a lot of unpaid debts.

Jester

Sounds good.

Would it work with more than one person or as a 1:1?

Celestial Goblin

I think I can accomodate 2 or even 3 people.
By the way, save for the beggining, I'll probably be able to post every 2 or 3 days and rarely more.
Also, the game I have in mind will not fully focus on sex and it won't immidietaly be an 'in your face' horror with monsters. I'm planning for the real scare to unfold over time.

Jester

Sounds good and i for one am happy to post at your rate. We can then ensure we have nice healthy long posts.

Do you want to post a summary and we can see what interest there is? Do you need any help with that?

Celestial Goblin

I'll post it today, soon.

Celestial Goblin

Here it goes:

The story takes place in America that never was, in a XX century different than our own.
Here, history walks hobbled in chains and previous times still linger on.
The goverment is corrupt and deep in the pockets of the rich. The law is merciless and always needs more chained people to split rocks. Technology is almost like today, just a bit different... Internet is very small, computers are primitive and expensive. Goverment approved media bore people trough radio and television, often black and white.
While real morality is scarce, victorian bigotry raises it's head anew in the form of the 'morality league' active in many cities. Fashion and culture seem to follow the hobbled parade. Women in skirts and blouses, military influenced fashion for men. Bleak, rigid and no one is smiling.

And they say that in some small village, a woman was burned for witchcraft. In XX century. And they say there are bandits robbing cars on the highways. And they say than in this world, only evil men prosper.

They even say ghosts exist, but who would believe them?

Cheer up, the world is waiting for you. A weird amalgam of 1920, 1950 and almost today. A backdrop to a story that begins differently for each of you:

(choose any of those characters, only player 1 is mandatory, others are optional)

(player 1) would bless their luck when they received a letter informing them about inheritance. They were looking forward to debtors prison, or at best a life of poverty. Whoever they were, they were not ready for such fate.
The letter that came announced a mysterious death of uncle and aunt, who's will stated that (player 1) is to inherit their mansion. Selling the old house could get the debts payed and there'd still be something left. There's just one condition, the beneficient has to live in the house for two full months and would lose it if they leave.
The uncle and aunt were strange people. There must be a reason why you didn't even knew they existed since today!

(player 2) is (player 1)'s spouse or lover. (despite the moral rigidity of this fictional world, same-sex marriages are completely acceptable. mysterious, huh?) They were worrying for them and now relief came. They look forward to spending the months in the house, perhaps are even excited about something that will be found there? Are they a passionate gardener, amateur astronomer or avid collector of old books?

(player 3) is a close friend of the two and down on their luck even more than they. Being on the run from evil people, they cannot stay long in any place and can't make their identity known. Under assumed identity, they hang on to (player 1) and (player 2) who provide them with shelter. Who is pursuing (player 3)? Bad people. Criminals or law, it doesn't matter. So often those are interchangeable. Or perhaps (player 3) is really guilty of something? One way or another, they might be quite safe in that old, secluded house...

(player 4) is distant family of (player 1) or (player 2). Whoever they are, they were also named in the will. While not desperate, they have much hope for the money they can gain from the house and what's more important, they once heard rumors that the owners had more than just the house... There is something valuable hidden inside, just where?

(player 5) is a decadent one. Artist, gambler or bussinesman down on their luck. Maybe even an adventurer and traveller? Whatever happened, they were left without money and without chances to get anymore. Friends help friends and (player 5) offered to help in searching trough the house, if only because they hate being idle.

Pick any of the histories, fill it out and add or take details as you wish... There doesn't have to be 5 people of course.

Jester

I'd love to go for player 1.

I'll see who else is interested and ill build a history with someone who fancies player 2.

Looking good Celestial.

Ixy

(takes a good, hard look at this one)

Es possible.  Maybe 2, unless someone has a lock on the notion.

Celestial Goblin

Soo... we have #1 and #2 taken, who else?

Sethite

Truly, madly, deeply...

Celestial Goblin

Yes it is, Sethite. You have backgrounds #3 #4 and #5 to choose from, or you can make your own.

Sethite

Truly, madly, deeply...

Morkat

I'd love to be #4 if possible, this sounds quite fun to me.

Celestial Goblin

Great! In this case, I will begin the game this evening, which means a few hours from now on.
Until that time, have fun with this questionaire:

Name:
Looks:
Their personal beliefs, moral convictions, opinions:
Skills and talents:(might be none)
Their sexual preferences:
Things they fear, phobias, nightmares:(at least one thing)

Player's desires:(what do you want your character to do, what do you want to happen to them)
Player's dislikes:(what you don't like but can accept for sake of the story)
Player's limits:(your hard limits)

Celestial Goblin

This is the thread and where you can introduce your characters. You all know each other more or less, though.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11250.0

I'm going to move forward after everyone posts, probably.

Celestial Goblin

Okay, who is still interested? I need your characters described and posts on the main thread...!

Morkat

I'm still in, just give me some time with my description, as the posting on the main thread goes, I was waiting for the others *nods*

Jester

hiya,

i am still interested and will post very soon. am a bit busy at the moment but will get my act into gear.

Jester

Celestial Goblin

Okay, I got Kylie interested in playing a role as well. If we have 5 people, it's more than enough to start. The thread is open and we get going as soon as everyone (or almost everyone) posts.

So, it's...

Comedyjester - #1 (man in need of money, down on his luck)
Ixy - #2 (woman who shares his plight)
Kylie? -#3(on the run from trouble and constantly in hiding)
Morkat - #4(another relative who believes a treasure is hidden in the house)
Sethite - #5(adventuresome soul and a friend to others)

In case someone else still wants to join, I can create more entry-points for them by their suggestion. Possible ideas could be: #6 - a person with interest in the spiritual who is called to help with the haunting(once it's discovered) #7 - a wastrel relative who buffs in despite not being in the will, probably greedy for a part of the money #8 - a person madly in love in one of the other characters, possibly unrequited

And oh yeah, until we can get the game in full flight, I'll try to post every time I have a chance to push the action forward and that might be faster than once per three days. Once we'll kick off, once per three days is what I guarantee, but I might be able to give some players a faster tempo if they'll like so.

Celestial Goblin

Okay, I'm pondering when to start the game forward again.
Who is here, who are we waiting for at the moment?

Jester

Jester

Well thanks for Trying CG.