Photographic proof fairies exist?

Started by Nyra, April 04, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

We found squids that were large, not the mythical 'Giant Squid'.

kylie

It must be terrible being a graphic artist, or person in the know about how to manipulate such software.  Seems to strip the magic right out of some people.   :P

Seriously...  I agree with Oniya, or what I think was her point...

Lots of things were considered magical or legendary until technology made them observable or even better, simply feasible to manipulate with what many consider to be clarity.  The "consider to be" is important because even if you can operate something, if you admit you don't fully understand or control it, there can be room for it to slip into the realm of magic there (or maybe  for someone else to help take it there for you). 

We don't know everything scientifically interesting to ask about just why electricity works the way it does, last I heard, and every so often astronomers seem to revel in changing or at least dramatically updating (if tentatively?) their higher-level theories of the universe and various specific objects and events way out there.  Computers are capable of running models that the human mind cannot properly "watch" in any graphical sense, and statisticians often crunch numbers in ways that at least some of them are dubiously qualified to translate for each other, never mind for the rest of us (that's reducing some rather simpler computer models back toward relatively human language -- but only relatively).  Then we have things like radio waves or landing on the moon, which a century before their actualization as tools and event, may have been considered more or less magical I suppose.

Both hard science and social science would grind to a halt if there was nothing we could explain better, nothing we simply don't know or haven't been able to model in new and different ways.  So even from an objective point of view like that, there will always be something that people can consider "magical."  And then there are things like love and beauty, even horror or confusion that are difficult to reduce to neatly measurable and sortable factors in their natural situations.  Whenever they happen strongly enough, the way people respond to them puts them pretty well in the category of magic... 

So there always will be magic.  Though there may never be quite as much "active" magic in the sense of humans or other sentient beings knowing how to activate it in ways that others can experience it as such, as some of us might like.

...  And I think they could be bugs.  But it's a pretty enough picture to enjoy it for the thought of what the wee people might live like, isn't it.   :-)

Oniya

There's always 'Clarke's Law', which is 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic', and the corollary - 'Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.'

The 'palantirs' from Lord of the Rings could be easily duplicated with cellular technology, for example.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zakharra

Quote from: Oniya on April 08, 2014, 10:25:54 AM
There's always 'Clarke's Law', which is 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic', and the corollary - 'Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.'

The 'palantirs' from Lord of the Rings could be easily duplicated with cellular technology, for example.

Does that mean Sauron hacked the 'palantir' comm network when he stole one?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zakharra on April 08, 2014, 01:37:58 PM
Does that mean Sauron hacked the 'palantir' comm network when he stole one?

Then added some malware to the system to mess with Denethor. But Aragorn had root-level admin privileges.

DemonessOfDeathValley

Quote from: Oniya on April 04, 2014, 08:49:56 PM
'What'd you expect fairies to do?'
'I thought they did nice things, like... like granting wishes.'
'Shows what you know, don't it? '

When I saw this thread, that was the first thing that came to my mind. Well that, and the Cottingly Glenn thing.

What would I do if it was proven that fairies existed? First, it would take some pretty heavy convincing. Since the modern world pretty much does all it possibly can to beat it into us that nothing magical exists or can exist. Second, I'd want to see more than photographs and videos. With all the modern technology, literally anything can be faked. From photos of Fairies to the President shaking hands with an alien. Third, I'd wonder if they were actually Fairies and not some kind of government experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong. And fourth....

I'd be dancing around like a little nerdlinger freak and pointing in the face of every person that ever told me 'there's no such thang!!!' (yeah, I live in Texas, no one puts an *i* in the word thing.) And I'd say 'HA...Told ya so..." And then stick my tongue out and raspberry them.

~Approximate response time - 1-7 days plus ~ Muse cooperative~

TaintedAndDelish

If they are just another type of flying critter like bees or birds, then I guess it wouldn't really matter all that much - just as long as they don't sting or crap all over the car windshield. If they proved to be about as intelligent as humans yet are presumably thumbnail sized, then I suppose some serious skull duggery would be in order ( read: dissection ). 

Now.. if they are *magical* hence, could cast spells or use *magic*, then that would be one hell of a discovery. For the sake of our species, such a magical critter should be destroyed. We as a species do terrible things to one another with what little intelligence and power we have. Imagine what horrible things we could do to each other if we could learn to use magic.  o.o

I'm not really %100 serious about this, and I assume the OP is not %100 serious either. It's a fun thought to entertain.

DemonessOfDeathValley

I once had a discussion with my father about what would happen if an actual alien landed for all to see. He replied that the government would 'kill them and take their technology'.

If Fairies were found out to really exist, I fear it would be the same.

However, it would be nice to live in a world with magic. But....

All magic....comes with a price....

Rhapsody

|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 10, 2014, 03:00:41 PM
Actually, you're incorrect.

Depends on how you define Giant, really. We've found colossal squid, but we've never found, say, the Kraken.

Retribution

Actually yes there is video proof of the "Kraken" it was published last year. Actually there are both stills and live video from off the coast of Japan. Discovery was involved and there is a cool documentary of it. In the video the giant squid is missing its two largest tentacles presumably bitten off by a sperm whale.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/01/08/all-hail-the-kraken-scientists-capture-live-footage-of-giant-squid/

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/videos/first-video-of-a-giant-squid.htm

Dhi

Colossal squid are as large as the largest dinosaurs. What's your frame of reference for kraken? Wrath of the Titans?

Sabby

Like I said, we've found Squids that were Giant, not the mythical Kraken that were a threat to ships.

TheGlyphstone

I'm talking about the sort of Kraken that sailors mistook for an island, anchoring and going 'ashore' only to discover their horrible mistake (and yet somehow surviving to tell the tale later in a tavern), or at the very least the sort that attacked and crushed ships. Colossal squid can only survive deep underwater in conditions of high pressure, no invertebrates we know of could both grow large enough to threaten ships and swim close enough to the surface to attack them.

Retribution

Ah well that is indeed true though I tend to think a Colossal Squid might indeed endanger those little research subs that go to study them  :-)

Dhi

Is that actually a kraken myth, though? It sounds like H.P. Lovecraft's mythos about the raising of Mu, Native American myths of the Great Turtle, or the Norse Jormungandr. Krakens I associate with crushing ships, gobbling sailors, and becoming increasingly overblown in every Hollywood presentation. These are not unthinkable qualities for something that regularly tussles with the largest animal ever to have lived on the planet earth (albeit at much greater depths).

DemonessOfDeathValley

The trouble with all the proof that I see of cryptids, demons, ghosts, anything that is supposedly myth, is that if it does exist, there are and have been so many hoaxes that if the real thing came along on film, 'experts' wouldn't bother with it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Dhi on April 10, 2014, 03:38:48 PM
Is that actually a kraken myth, though? It sounds like H.P. Lovecraft's mythos about the raising of Mu, Native American myths of the Great Turtle, or the Norse Jormungandr. Krakens I associate with crushing ships, gobbling sailors, and becoming increasingly overblown in every Hollywood presentation. These are not unthinkable qualities for something that regularly tussles with the largest animal ever to have lived on the planet earth (albeit at much greater depths).

Looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken, its origin is a 14th-century Norse saga describing a pair of dueling sea monsters, a giant whale and a 'huge fish' that was the size of an island and apparently (article fails to explain how) was eventually described or clarified to be squid-like. There's another citation from a Norwegian bishop and later a Swedish author about the kraken 'surfacing like a small island'.

Old drawings and woodcuts of krakens always show it attacking ships too, but the wiki article is unclear where that came from/

Oniya

*coughs*  I didn't say kraken.  I said giant squid.  Anything that can put up a decent fight against a sperm whale would probably scare the piss out of someone in a wooden sailing vessel.  If they saw the battle scars from such an encounter, they might very well assume that the creature could and would take on a ship.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I think the confusion there Oniya was that I at least wasn't aware 'big squids' were even a Cryptid. I always thought that when it came to mythical squids, there was only ridiculous sized ones.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Oniya on April 10, 2014, 04:31:56 PM
*coughs*  I didn't say kraken.  I said giant squid.  Anything that can put up a decent fight against a sperm whale would probably scare the piss out of someone in a wooden sailing vessel.  If they saw the battle scars from such an encounter, they might very well assume that the creature could and would take on a ship.

Colossal squid are thought to be the origin of the legend. Despite their deep-sea origins, they do sometimes come up for air, or are washed ashore. They're able to grow upwards of 50 feet in length, and they look freaking evil. You add skaldic license on top of that, and you've got a man-eating, ship-wrecking kraken.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

BlueMaiden88

Um... Those are mosquitoes.  XD The most unmagical bug ever.

Drake Valentine

I was thinking Crane Flies as one of the varieties is a deep orange color. Though it is hard to really tell with the image.

This reached the news? Maybe I can get them to do one about Gnomes in my backyard. No matter what I do to get rid of them, they keep coming back. I swear they are plotting my demise.

Also I browsed net and didn't see any debunking of this, yet. Think there is a video on youtube, but didn't bother with it. Figure it was the news report with stationary images.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Warlock

Quote from: BlueMaiden88 on June 12, 2014, 07:32:51 PM
Um... Those are mosquitoes.  XD The most unmagical bug ever.

Their ability to annoy you must surely be magical. Can't stand the little creeps.