D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign (No Longer Accepting Apps)

Started by Keelan, September 09, 2010, 11:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keelan

Alright, if you clicked this link, you probably are interested in a D&D campaign in the Forgotten Realms Setting, or maybe just a D&D game overall and the setting matters little (not a problem; I can direct you to a proper wiki if that's the case, and it won't make that much of a difference if you don't know the setting, to be honest).  Anyway, yeah, most likely this is a looking for Players, unless someone would like to offer to be DM on an off chance, though barring that I'll likely be DMing this.

Now, details from a mechanical perspective are thus:
<>Characters would be at level 12, as I rather like that level for starting off.

<>Races would be allowed up to an Level Adjustment +2, though anything with Racial Hit Dice I'd want run by me first

<>Stat rolling/determination will likely be via rolling 4d6, reroll 1's, minimum score of 10, or a point distribution to be decided later if group consensus swings that way. 

<>It would be standard gold for 12th level starting, so 88,000gp, and you can be from anywhere in Faerun (Or don't list an area, and we can fit you most anywhere that would be appropriate)

For the RP side:
<> there will be a storyline, a combat and exploratory element, and also a sexual element.

<>This will not be a Dark and Gritty type of game; I prefer to do more upbeat stuff anyway, but it won't be a gigantic fluff-fest either and 'bad stuff' can and likely will happen at times.

<>I would probably have a character, since I'm looking for this to be a 3 person, 4 person game tops, but the story will not be focused around my character, so don't worry about that.  She'll likely be a lesbian through and through as well, though that said the only type of pairing I'm not interested in including is M/M, so F/M and F/F is fine, but the last of them is most enjoyed by me. 

<>Most any gender and race-type is fine with me, be it Female, Male, Futanari/Dickgirl, Transexual, Furry, Small, Large, etc. are fine with me for characters and most all I can work with (though again, other people may not be okay with many of these so keep that in mind), and naturally I would ask that you take a look at my and whomever else is in this game's O/Os with regards to sexual limits.

Other Information:
<>This game would be either in the Bondage-Exotic-Small Group, or the NC-Exotic-Small Group area, again based on group consensus (an on that note, it could even end up in 'Light' section, but somehow I doubt it with this crowd)

<>In the case of NC I will say this: I don't do violent, graphic, cruel, painful, or obscenely obnoxiously humiliating and dehumanizing NC.  'Hardcore' NC makes me squeemish, so if this does end up NC it will likely be rare or even just a constant 'potential' throughout the game that could never come to fruition if you all play your cards right, and in the event of it occurring it will be non-violent, more about sex than cruelty, breaking of will and spirit, or power, and will likely be downplayed on the psychological side (real rape does serious damage, so realism would be suspended in this regard).

<>Other than that all above, again mind everyone's O/Os, particularly mine as I'm most likely to have the most restrictive 'limits' if experience has told me anything, though feel free to contact me to discuss something I have or do not have listed on O/Os; I haven't updated it recently and it may be due for some upkeep.

Aside from the above, I'd like fairly frequent posters, 1/day minimum and more preferred, 3rd-person writing perspective likely preferred since some have a problem with 1st-Person, and people that are capable of writing well and with some degree of detail.  Don't need to be perfect with your grammar and spelling, and don't need to write a short essay every time you post, but some effort to write clearly and with detail is greatly appreciated.  One-liners, however, are not.

So, that said, please PM me if you are interested, if you may be interested but you have questions first, or if you just plain have questions.  Ideas and suggestions are always appreciated, of course, so feel free to give them ^_^

-Keelan, The Likely DM

sleepingferret

What sort of setting/plot line did you have in mind?  I have every 3/3.5 Forgotten Realms book, and almost every 2nd edition FR book as well...so given time I could essentially plot out anything/anywhere in the Realms.

I have a few character ideas sitting around and if you really don't want to run a game I may have a few ideas...though a couple of them may require slight tweaking if you want the starting level at 12th.

And of course the obligatory question also has to be asked, full access to any 3.5 book or just core plus FR source materials?

Laughing Hyena

If you don't mind me pulling off cool fatalities to the bad guys then I say yes! Sign me up! If you do then I still say Yes!

Keelan

Quote from: sleepingferret on September 09, 2010, 11:47:21 PM
What sort of setting/plot line did you have in mind?  I have every 3/3.5 Forgotten Realms book, and almost every 2nd edition FR book as well...so given time I could essentially plot out anything/anywhere in the Realms.

I have a few character ideas sitting around and if you really don't want to run a game I may have a few ideas...though a couple of them may require slight tweaking if you want the starting level at 12th.

And of course the obligatory question also has to be asked, full access to any 3.5 book or just core plus FR source materials?

In order...
<>The plot, in large, is very non-descriptive at the moment, as I don't know what sort of players will be thrown into the mess.  In fact, you could say that the players and characters I get will determine what plot/storyline/ideas I go with.  I won't say a definite storyline, setting, or plot at the moment, though I will say this much: I tend to like starting out in major towns, most recently Silverymoon in one RP, and they can either go Urban campaign from there or the usual mercenary/adventure stuff that most groups wind up in.  With regards to the books, I would prefer to stick to the 3.5 ones and what I can find on the Wikia, as I'm fairly new to the setting but I've fallen in love with it so very much.

<>It's not that I don't want to DM; I don't have a problem actually DMing, it's just that I've never done a Group RP as a DM before, so it's kind of new to me, I guess you could say, and thus I'm concerned my players won't like it.  That said, I fully planned to DM this unless someone came in and said 'I really want to DM this!'  As for your characters, let me know what the ideas are and I'll see how if they'll be good, okay?

<>Define "any"?  I have access to almost every 3.5 book known to man, but I'm missing some, particularly the setting books for Eberron, the Greyhawk stuff, Ravencroft (I feel I misspelled that...) and the like.  So most anything you can come up with I can handle (famous last words :P)  In short: all of 3.5 is fair game... even Psionics, though mind you if a PC takes it, other NPCs and Enemies could have them too... (ToB is a maybe, however, but not a definite 'no')

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on September 09, 2010, 11:55:30 PM
If you don't mind me pulling off cool fatalities to the bad guys then I say yes! Sign me up! If you do then I still say Yes!

Eh, if it's just you writing with some flair and being descriptive, really can't say 'no' to wanting to put in effort.  Let me know what you have in mind, and we'll see how it works out ^_^

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I am interested to join aswell. Do you allow fey'ri into the party (it is +2 or +3 'tiefling elf' race from FR).

Keelan

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 12:56:55 AM
Well, I am interested to join aswell. Do you allow fey'ri into the party (it is +2 or +3 'tiefling elf' race from FR).

Fey'ri, without the Special Demonic Abilities (Dimension Door, DR10/Magic, or Enervation ) are considered LA +2, so unless you plan to somehow abuse any of the other abilities (Suggestion, Detect thoughts, the at-will Alter Self), then I see no reason to not allow it ^_^  I normally keep an eye on races that have 'at will' powers like that, though alter-self shouldn't be too bad.

Zaer Darkwail

Okay :). Alter self is mostly for disguises and fun what comes able to change your gender at-will :). Now second question; are you okay with PrC's from pathfinder system? Example arcane archer version from pathfinder is very much better than 'centuries old' DMG version. Ofc it needs converted to 3.5 DnD system rules but change is very sligth (mostly skill wise as spot and listen were combined to perception). I would not otherwise take any feats or spells or other stuff but would like make a 'fey'ri arcane archer' but the DMG arcane archer sucks a lot.

Keelan

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 01:23:40 AM
Okay :). Alter self is mostly for disguises and fun what comes able to change your gender at-will :). Now second question; are you okay with PrC's from pathfinder system? Example arcane archer version from pathfinder is very much better than 'centuries old' DMG version. Ofc it needs converted to 3.5 DnD system rules but change is very sligth (mostly skill wise as spot and listen were combined to perception). I would not otherwise take any feats or spells or other stuff but would like make a 'fey'ri arcane archer' but the DMG arcane archer sucks a lot.

Hm... I don't usually like to mess with conversions of most any sort, but I've looked over both Arcane Archers and indeed, the 3.75 one trumps the 3.5 one without being horribly, horribly broken.  I'll make you a deal: if you can convert it, and I think it looks good... I'll probably say yes, as I can always throw bigger baddies at you if you end up too powerful, though I may ask you to make some changes prior to implementing the class (in other words: I'll review and possible edit it first, and if it passes, it's likely a go).

Sound good?

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, sounds fine to me :). You got races of wild sourcebook? I thinked pick elven ranger subsitution levels to get a cooshie (a elf hound) as animal companion. Is it okay with you? So far my build is a ranger/sorc/arcane archer.

Keelan

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 01:42:25 AM
Ok, sounds fine to me :). You got races of wild sourcebook? I thinked pick elven ranger subsitution levels to get a cooshie (a elf hound) as animal companion. Is it okay with you? So far my build is a ranger/sorc/arcane archer.
Ranger/Sor/Arcane Archer is fine build wise, and I typically don't bother with the Multiclassing penalties and XP modifiers, so you don't have to worry about that.  I looked up the Elf Hound, and it is a bit bigger a beast, though the Elf Ranger is balanced out with the d6 hit die... I suspect if you are willing to take the d6 die I would have no problem, but if you aren't, then I'll have to see the sheet, the build, etc first and then it would be a judgement call on my end, because I frankly don't know how you plan to make this particular character right now up front, so... yeah d6 hit die or see if I am fine with it after you write it up, your call.

Zaer Darkwail

I am fine with the d6 HD. Also elf ranger in general has more skill points to spend so I do not mind to be more frail :). As I am archer and I aim not be in melee in first place.

Now a feat; pathfinder has feat called 'Deadly Aim'.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/deadly-aim-combat---final

It would fit so well for archer build and would help with issue regarding 'no dmg as archer'. Consider that many other archery feats give ranged attack roll penalties so if you use several of them you reduce accuracy a lot (but warning; in one game I performer rapid-shot full attack on single mob which did +100 dmg on single mob because all arrows hit and had energy dmg included and favored enemy also). So asking approval use that feat that is.

Keelan

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 02:09:49 AM
I am fine with the d6 HD. Also elf ranger in general has more skill points to spend so I do not mind to be more frail :). As I am archer and I aim not be in melee in first place.

Now a feat; pathfinder has feat called 'Deadly Aim'.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/deadly-aim-combat---final

It would fit so well for archer build and would help with issue regarding 'no dmg as archer'. Consider that many other archery feats give ranged attack roll penalties so if you use several of them you reduce accuracy a lot (but warning; in one game I performer rapid-shot full attack on single mob which did +100 dmg on single mob because all arrows hit and had energy dmg included and favored enemy also). So asking approval use that feat that is.

I'm going to say a 'no' on that one.  The whole thing about ranged fighters is that they have the ability to attack at range, and can even snipe using hide, I believe.  Your character, if I remember right with the 'distance arrow' will be capable of hitting at a range of... 2200ft maximum?  10RIs at 110' per RI with a Composite Longbow before the Distance enhancement that doubles it to 10 RIs at 220' per RI?  Admittedly, you'll hit pathetically and you'd have to be able to spot the target from there, but then again if done right... that too can be avoided well enough.  This is supposed to be balanced out by the fact that you do comparable shit for damage, and to me that's how the system is supposed to work.  If you want to do damage, you have to get in close and personal... even Sneak Attack has a range of 30, which is still within the charge range of a Dwarf or even a Halfling in Full-Plate.  Notice how high-damaging Melee characters tend to get the tar kicked out of them rather often... that's the trade-off for them, and Wizards can do ass-loads of damage or even do things damage could never compare to... but only for so long whereas a Fighter can wail on things all day based on the mechanics.

...bit of a rant there, but essentially I'm justifying my saying 'no' to the feat.  Besides, didn't you say you would just be using the Arcane Archer from Pathfinder? ^_^

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, your points are true. Also yes I said I use only arcane archer but had to ask approval for one feat related to my build :P. Anycase I start work on the write up on arcane archer, as it's mostly list what skills it has in 3.5 edition I think.

Keelan

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 02:44:10 AM
Yeah, your points are true. Also yes I said I use only arcane archer but had to ask approval for one feat related to my build :P. Anycase I start work on the write up on arcane archer, as it's mostly list what skills it has in 3.5 edition I think.

Sounds good and works for me.  Send me the info, and then since I get the feeling it won't be too terribly broken (you are one of the Big Group DMs after all :P), your character sheet/app will follow not long after that I suspect.

ff

Archers can do great damage, just put things like energy properties on your weapon (+1d6 of an energy type for base price bonus +1) rather than increasing the enhancement bonus from +1 to +2 to +3 etc. (+1 attack and damage each time).

What also helps with archer damage is often not needing to move before they attack, or using Manyshot to get multiple arrows even when they do move.

ff

Actually i was thinking of a ranger or ranger-scout for my next campaign, although if we already have an archer I may reconsider.  ::)

Kunoichi

*is guessing that there isn't any more room*

Hmm.  Should have posted in here sooner... ^^;

Keelan

Quote from: ff on September 10, 2010, 03:07:05 AM
Archers can do great damage, just put things like energy properties on your weapon (+1d6 of an energy type for base price bonus +1) rather than increasing the enhancement bonus from +1 to +2 to +3 to etc.
Stuff like that is perfectly fine with me, of course, and that is how you deal damage with an Archer.  I was simply saying that, toe for toe with a Fighter, even with Enhancements equal on both parties, and Archer will do comparatively less damage overall... but he can get a good extra number of attacks off before the Fighter ever gets to him, and doesn't have to chase after enemies, so it balances out well enough.

Quote from: ff on September 10, 2010, 03:11:06 AM
Actually i was thinking of a ranger or ranger-scout for my next campaign, although if we already have an archer I may reconsider.  ::)

You could always go Melee Ranger instead, possibly the Substitution of Riposte for Skirmish from the Cityscape Web Enhancement with a Scout if you go that way, so that you get higher AC and get bonus damage against an enemy that hits you.  Or, you could go another route, that would be entirely fine too ^_^

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ff on September 10, 2010, 03:11:06 AM

There is nothing wrong stack on same job ;). As note you can work as scout in other classes than rogue and ranger. Druids example make excelent scouts (suitable animal forms and high spot and listen checks).

Also good part with arcane archer is that they count both as 'archer' and 'spellcaster' in dmg wise. I just learn any close range heavy hitting burst spells and then hit with range of my bow my foes with it :P. Also combining it with some arcane archer features I can be cheesier than normal blaster (send fireball charged phase arrow to fly inside a enemy tower which your target you see through clairvoyance spell).

Are flaws allowed from unearthed arcana?

Zaer Darkwail

Also what comes being GM on big group game it was years ago when I ran the group and then moderator gave me my own forum to run the game (as it grew big). But my own failings as GM then killed it sadly :/

Kunoichi

Err... >>; Typically, rather than double-posting, what you want to do is edit your already-existing post with the new info.  Trust me, the thread will have the 'new post' icon displayed for everyone else.

Zaer Darkwail

I know, it was kinda 'new post' poke for our potential GM inform I PM'ed the stuff (incase if somereason elliquiy bugs and does not show she has new PM).

sleepingferret

Actually if you really want to "blow" things up.  I use a fighter/wizard/arcane archer/deepwood sniper build.  Park fireball arrows at oncoming enemies before they can even think about hitting you.  That particular character of mine was in a game that DM allowed me to attach a spyglass to my bow and use it like a crude scope so I could actually see and send arrows with relative accuracy at insane distances.

Zaer Darkwail

Also there is pair spells which allow increase watching distance (hawkeye or something) which halved long distance attack pens and pens on spot checks.