News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Wierd, Wierd, West.

Started by Muse, November 05, 2006, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

There's just one game I've never been able to run on line, and it's one of the easiest and most fun. 

Anyone ever hear of Deadlands, the Roll Playing game of the Wierd, Wierd, West? 

I first played it in baltimore, and the racantuer...  Erm, Marshal (GM being the generic term) was a professional comedian.  Not to say he didn't know when to let us get the chiills. 

This is a steam punk western with every imaginable form of goodie, from card sharps who've unlocked the arcane secrets encoded in Hoyle's Book of Games, to miracle working nun's and fire and brimstone preachers, to mad scientists unlocking the ultimate power source, ghost rock, to wire fighting kung fu masters and indian braves and shamans drawing extra power from their spirit guides.  Of coruse, all your mundane favorites are there, gun slingers, salloon girls, gamblers, prospectors, codgers, Texas Rangers, indian braves, dime novelests... 

Hell, you can even play a player charecter Zombie. 

I think we'll try and keep that to a minimum on an elliquiy board though. 

The one catch, of course, is that along with dice the game calls for a few decks of cards and poker chips.  Most random dice rollers don't include those mechanics, but Elliquiy was without one for years, so if yal don't mind your friendly neighbrohood marshal handlin' the cards... 

Well, I have a story in mind, I've run it sucessfuly on a tabletop once, and I could take quite a few players, or just enough to win us a board on Elliquiy. 

It's a story of a young town in west texas, a Church of Christ collony (north of a little town called Monterey) where the folks are all so pious that they don't even dance. 

Or, since that's no fun, a place where all moral depravity is kept at Madam Purty's Saloon. 

These folks need to seeriously lighten up, dontcha think?  So sign 'er on up folks, and let me know when you do if you'd rather play with sorts of tentacles that ocaisionaly have their way with a purty lady rather than killin' 'er, or if respectable monsters should avoid that sort of thing and leave it at Madam Purdys. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Deadlands is always amusing, though honestly, I'm not sure tentacle rape really fits the setting.

I wouldn't mind playing, though.  (What books do you have access to?)

Xerial

I was gonna say you had me until tentacles, but I was beat to the punch, eh.

thymoit

I love the Deadlands setting.  Sign me up for a Huckster!

Muse

No tentacles nessecary, that's why I was taking a vote. 

Hm...  Do I need three respondants, and I make four, before I ask for a game?  or one more person intrested in playing? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

I played this once. Mind if I play the Purty educated school teacher that is into other girls alot, in the closet. But outside she will be a nice church going, smart and respectable teacher of proper social respectability. Maybe the daughter of the preacher? So she might have attended college and have a degree in a respectable area for a woman like Literature.

Jefepato

Anyway, Muse, feel free to draw me a set of stats.  Put me down for Veteran o' the Weird West, too.

Muse

For some reason I can't find that merit, thouh i used it in early charecter creation. 

Great to have you, Ruby Slippers, i like the concept. 

Jefepato

It's in there somewhere, though I don't recall the page number.  But I think the Marshal's Handbook is the one with the chart to draw on for it (although there's an expanded chart somewhere, I forget where).

Muse

Here you go, Jefe, courtesy of a rather lucky friend of mine. 

Joker of Spades
Ace of Hearts
Queen of Hearts
Jack of Hearts
10 of Clubs
9 of Hearts
9 of Spades
Deuce of Diamonds. 

thymoit

So how will character creation work?  I've used dice to simulate the Deadlands 54-card deck before.  Roll a d54:

1-13Clubs14-26Diamonds27-39Hearts40-52Spades53-54Jokers
1Ace14Ace27Ace40Ace53Red Joker
2215228241254Black Joker
11Jack24Jack37Jack50Jack
12Queen25Queen38Queen51Queen
13King26King39King52King

As you are supposed to be drawing from a deck of cards without replacement if you draw something you've drawn before, reroll duplicates.

Jefepato

Good draws, but only eight?  One normally draws 12 (and throws away 2).  Yay for having a mysterious past, though!

(Also, Veteran o' the Weird West is given on page 69 of the Player's Guide, at least in my copy.)

thymoit

Hmm, page 69 in my book is the Buffalo Girl Archetype.   :D

Jefepato

Quote from: thymoit on November 05, 2006, 03:04:36 PM
Hmm, page 69 in my book is the Buffalo Girl Archetype.   :D

She's on page 83 in mine.

But either way, VotWW is near the end of the Edges section.  Does anyone know whether draws for mysterious pasts and VotWW are supposed to happen right away, or does one wait until after character creation is completed?

RubySlippers

invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712252 rolled a 1.    ACE OF CLUBB
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712254 rolled a 13.  KING OF CLUBS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712255 rolled a 17.  FOUR OF DIAMONDS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712259 rolled a 51.  QUEEN OF SPADES
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712261 rolled a 41.  TWO OF SPADES
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712262 rolled a 16.  THREE OF DIAMONDS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712263 rolled a 25.  QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712264 rolled a 46.  SEVEN OF SPADES
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712265 rolled a 14.  ACE OF DIAMONDS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712266 rolled a 13.  KING OF CLUBS
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712267 rolled a 43.  THREE OF SPADES
invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=712268 rolled a 13.  KING OF CLUBS

I rolled 12 times and will toss the two stupidest ones to benefit the Purty Schoolteacher Archetype. Or the best stats. However you actually use these.

thymoit

I used the Elliquiy dice server to roll 12d54.  Results copied to Muse.  I got:  24, 9, 19, 27, 16, 32, 52, 1, 25, 7, 26, 38

Which translated is:

24 = Jack of Diamonds (2d8)
9 = Nine of Clubs (1d8)
19 = Six of Diamonds (2d6)
27 = Ace of Hearts (3d12)
16 = Three of Diamonds (2d6)
32 = Six of Hearts (3d6)
52 = King of Spades (4d10)
1 = Ace of Clubs (1d12)
25 = Queen of Diamonds (2d10)
7 = Seven of Clubs (1d6)
26 = King of Diamonds (2d10)
38 = Queen of Hearts (3d10)

Hmm, no jokers, but two d12, all those lovely d10s and none of the dreaded must keep duces.

RubySlippers

Quote from: thymoit on November 05, 2006, 07:06:15 PM
I used the Elliquiy dice server to roll 12d54.  Results copied to Muse.  I got:  24, 9, 19, 27, 16, 32, 52, 1, 25, 7, 26, 38

Which translated is:

24 = Jack of Diamonds (2d8)
9 = Nine of Clubs (1d8)
19 = Six of Diamonds (2d6)
27 = Ace of Hearts (3d12)
16 = Three of Diamonds (2d6)
32 = Six of Hearts (3d6)
52 = King of Spades (4d10)
1 = Ace of Clubs (1d12)
25 = Queen of Diamonds (2d10)
7 = Seven of Clubs (1d6)
26 = King of Diamonds (2d10)
38 = Queen of Hearts (3d10)

Hmm, no jokers, but two d12, all those lovely d10s and none of the dreaded must keep duces.

Can you do my dice I don't have the rules? Best possible spread.

thymoit

Quote from: RubySlippers on November 05, 2006, 07:37:24 PM
Can you do my dice I don't have the rules? Best possible spread.

No problem.  Here are your stats translated to dice:

1d12 = ACE OF CLUBS
1d10 = KING OF CLUBS
2d6 = FOUR OF DIAMONDS
4d10 = QUEEN OF SPADES
4d4 = TWO OF SPADES
2d6 = THREE OF DIAMONDS
2d10 = QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
4d6 = SEVEN OF SPADES
2d12 = ACE OF DIAMONDS
1d10 = KING OF CLUBS
4d6 = THREE OF SPADES
1d10= KING OF CLUBS

You can't drop the Duece of spades.  Dueces must be kept, but often 4d4 is better than 2d6 anyway.  Drop both your 2d6s and you have a pretty sweet spread.  You have low coordination numbers (number of dice) but high dice.  That doesn't matter mostly.  The die type is more important.  If you have a skill then the number of dice thrown is taken from your rank in the skill.  You don't usually roll raw dice with one important exception: Quickness.  As befits a game with gunslingers Quickness is a key stat.  It determines how often you can act in combat.  I'd drop your 4d10 into Quickness.  Put one of yer d12s into Mein, buy Persuasion (you're a good teacher right?) to go with it and with the Purty advantage you've got someone who can calm people down real quick.  I'm still sorting my stats.  I'll post them when I'm done so you can see what I've done with mine.  Oh yeah, and your 4d4?  put it in Strength.  you didn't expect to be winning fist fights anyway did you?

thymoit

Ok, my character sheet (background to follow).  Not sure if this is all supposed to be public or not, so other PCs can't play off this information.

Ruby Slippers, another piece of advice.  If you're getting Purty, take the Soothin' Voice Edge as well, it doubles the effect. :D

MENTAL
COGNITION 2d10
Search 1
Scrutinize
KNOWLEDGE 2d10
Academia: Occult 3
Area Knowledge: Mississippi River 2
Language: English 2
MEIN 2d8
Persuasion 2
SMARTS 1d12
Bluff 2
Gamblin' 4
Streetwise 1
SPIRIT 3d12
Guts 3

CORPOREAL
DEFTNESS 3d10
Shootin': Rifle 1
Sleight o' Hand 3
NIMBLENESS 1d8
Fightin': Brawlin' 1
Horse Ridin' 1
Sneak 1
STRENGTH 2d6
QUICKNESS 4d10
VIGOR 3d6

Hucksterin' 5

EDGES
3 Arcane Background: Huckster
1 Purty
1 Soothing Voice
3 Arcane Prodigy

HINDERENCES
3 Curious
3 Heroic
3 Loyal

Hexes
Bodyguard
Helpin' Hands
Mind Tweak
Penny Ante
Phantom Fingers
Soul Blast

Tricks
Coffin Varnish
Groom
Likker Up
Whisper

Muse

RubySlippers

Quote from: thymoit on November 05, 2006, 08:28:11 PM
No problem.  Here are your stats translated to dice:

1d12 = ACE OF CLUBS
1d10 = KING OF CLUBS
2d6 = FOUR OF DIAMONDS
4d10 = QUEEN OF SPADES
4d4 = TWO OF SPADES
2d6 = THREE OF DIAMONDS
2d10 = QUEEN OF DIAMONDS
4d6 = SEVEN OF SPADES
2d12 = ACE OF DIAMONDS
1d10 = KING OF CLUBS
4d6 = THREE OF SPADES
1d10= KING OF CLUBS

You can't drop the Duece of spades.  Dueces must be kept, but often 4d4 is better than 2d6 anyway.  Drop both your 2d6s and you have a pretty sweet spread.  You have low coordination numbers (number of dice) but high dice.  That doesn't matter mostly.  The die type is more important.  If you have a skill then the number of dice thrown is taken from your rank in the skill.  You don't usually roll raw dice with one important exception: Quickness.  As befits a game with gunslingers Quickness is a key stat.  It determines how often you can act in combat.  I'd drop your 4d10 into Quickness.  Put one of yer d12s into Mein, buy Persuasion (you're a good teacher right?) to go with it and with the Purty advantage you've got someone who can calm people down real quick.  I'm still sorting my stats.  I'll post them when I'm done so you can see what I've done with mine.  Oh yeah, and your 4d4?  put it in Strength.  you didn't expect to be winning fist fights anyway did you?

Ok I will think on things. With Knowledge Skills can I take Common Subjects to cover all the things a teacher would teach to little ones. I mean it is likely she would have a suitable education to teach grades 1-8 english, math, history, literature, science and other common subjects. Her own specialty will be Literature at the college level she having a degree from a proper school. Generally the town lucked out having a degreed teacher over someone that just passed the certification test and apprenticed some. And I checked it was rare she would have a TEACHING degree. Most colleges offered the normal subjects and classes in teaching. Certification for a bachelors degree holder was automatic in most states and territories.

thymoit

Ruby Slippers... I'll respond to you in the character development thread that Muse just opened.