American Accents (take the quiz!)

Started by Greenthorn, November 16, 2008, 10:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caity

Yeah... it's supposed to be.  *lol*

The furthest south I've been is Memphis.... Now there's some good sweet tea.  :P

Trieste

I clean out my milk gallons as I finish them and make my own sweet tea in them. I'm addicted to the stuff.

Moondazed

I make iced tea for my family too, but it's made with green tea and a variety of other herbal teas, then lightly sweetened :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Trieste

Yeah, i find that I experiment more in the summer than the winter. Wintertime is sort of when the sweet tea is the run of the mill stuff, but I tryout hot teas that are apple spice and pumpkin cinnamon and peppermint raspberry and all that.

Caity

My mom makes good sweet tea... But I can't make it worth anything.  *lol*

I like green tea too... really any kind of tea.  Sweet tea is pretty.... rare for me.  Maybe a pitcher a week?  :P

Moondazed

My family drinks a half gallon a day :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Caity

My 1.5 liter of green tea is almost gone... I got it yesterday... Is that a lot?  *lol*

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Trieste on November 16, 2008, 06:12:17 PM
... would you like to visit? I have a place you can stay! :D

only if its damp and dark and you'd feel obliged to manacle me to a central beam, Trieste - i mean, how could i refuse? *giggles*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Tawni Black

I have a Midland accent, although looking at the list below for how you were on others it looks like I'm borderline "The West" as well.

Lady Annabelle

*pouts*

I am NOT from the Inland North.  I have never been to Wisconsin and I have only visited Michigan/Chicago for a weekend.  And I do not call soda, "pop".  It's soda.

*glares at the test*

I was born and raised in Missouri.  I was expecting to get the Midland answer.  Curse me and my diction.   :(
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Maeven

Midland for me as well, though, I'm pretty sure I still have a lingering southern accent. Especially with some words.

And... for the record, I'm with Ket on the explanation for 'coke.'  It's all coke until you are narrowing it down to the flavor. 

And don't even try to pretend that Pepsi is an acceptable substitute for a coke. 
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Kalen

Don't be silly... by your own definition Pepsi is 'coke'... how can 'coke' not be an acceptable substitute for coke?

Ket

Quote from: Maeven on November 17, 2008, 03:49:23 PM
And... for the record, I'm with Ket on the explanation for 'coke.'  It's all coke until you are narrowing it down to the flavor. 

See!!!  My point is proven.  

And Mae....pretty new avatar!  -licks your heels-
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Maeven

Quote from: Kalen on November 17, 2008, 04:18:06 PM
Don't be silly... by your own definition Pepsi is 'coke'... how can 'coke' not be an acceptable substitute for coke?

I think its mostly a geographical thing, the closer to Atlanta you are, the least likely that Pepsi is even in consideration when someone says, "Do you want a coke?"

We just... didn't drink Pepsi. Ever.

Quote from: Ket on November 17, 2008, 04:18:17 PM
And Mae....pretty new avatar!  -licks your heels-

Thank you!! It was time for a change.

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Inkidu

I got the Midland.
Which is funny because, I'm from Alabama. However, my dad was an English professor. ^_^
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kalen

According to this quiz, I may be mistaken for a Canadian.

Funny how that works out...

Dawg

Just put on yer took eh and takoff yoo hoser
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MusicNeverDies

Quote from: Kalen on November 17, 2008, 04:51:59 PM
According to this quiz, I may be mistaken for a Canadian.

Funny how that works out...
Me too. Odd ain't it?

Greenthorn

Well Canadians are the only ones who say ABOOT!!  (for about)

The Overlord

Quote from: Greenthorn on November 18, 2008, 06:02:41 AM
Well Canadians are the only ones who say ABOOT!!  (for about)

I think the Scots say it in a similar way?

Greenthorn

Quote from: The Overlord on November 18, 2008, 06:22:49 AM

I think the Scots say it in a similar way?

Really?  I don't think I've heard anyone from Scotland speak yet (besides Hollywood)

The Overlord

Well I've heard a fair number, but I'll admit I can't recall if I've heard them say it that way on TV or in RL.

Greenthorn

Quote from: The Overlord on November 18, 2008, 06:40:52 AM
Well I've heard a fair number, but I'll admit I can't recall if I've heard them say it that way on TV or in RL.

I usually don't notice accents as much unless I am personally speaking with someone...I tend to really enjoy others' voices and the way they speak.  I have a Canadian friend who I've known for six years and "aboot" is something I've teased him about...as he teases me about words like "taught".

(Overlord I actually have something to ask you.  You are up for the Member Spotlight but I cannot reach you through PM)

concessionis

Midland for me, too. No surprise there, really, I'm from Southern Illinois--one of the places it suggests.
O/O<>1-1

The Overlord

And I know from experience that Illinois has quite a wide spectrum along its length. The southern regions bear little resemblance to the tri-state area. In some ways it doesn't feel like the same state.