(Pathfinder) Rise of the Runelords - Burnt Offerings [Interest / Recruitment]

Started by Chulanowa, April 14, 2016, 02:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Welcome to Sandpoint, a coastal town in the frontier land of Varisia. It has faced many hardships but also great prosperity in its 42 years of existence on the Varisian bay. Fishermen, farmers, and other simple folk make one of the rare truly peaceful havens in Varisia. At the same time, the wilderness and ancient secrets beneath the lands have brought adventurers to the town for all of its years - and not all of them manage to return home.
   For five years, the faithful of Sandpoint have attended church in temporary structures erected after a fire destroyed the previous temple. While their new religious leader was helpful, kind, and wise, church wasn't the same. Now, the new cathedral is done. All that remains is for the Swallowtail Festival to renew the site's blessings from the gods, and it will be as though the Sandpoint Fire had never occurred.
   Too bad dark forces have other plans for the town. Sandpoint needs you!

I've decided to try my hand at GM'ing pathfinder once again! This time I'm going for the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. If you're up for some classic high fantasy, goblin-chopping, foiling evil wizards, and exploring ruins of lost empires, this is your show!
   In addition to the core Rise of the Runelords adventure path, I'm hoping to massage in some other material; there's a lot of useful stuff for Varisia and Sandpoint, and I think it'd be a shame to let it all go to waste while doing this (to say nothing of my ideas - and yours.) I'm looking for something like a sandbox with a core plot at the center.
   I'm looking for five players. Recruitment is not first come first serve, and I advise just offering what you want to play - I don't worry about "party balance" so much as what characters seem like fun to run for. The game will be placed in NC-Exotic owing to plenty of monsters and violence, but is not an overtly sexual game (though hey, if you want to crawl into bed together, or with an NPC, or what-have-you...) I'm aiming for a minimum of two posts a week, but certainly wouldn't mind people who can post more!

Game Details
• 1st level, 20-point buy, average wealth for class
• "Core Seven" races only (Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, half-Orc, Halfling, Human)
• Any paizo-published classes and archetypes, except for Antipaladin. Rogues and Summoners use the Unchained variants.
• Two character traits, and one Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait (find the Player's Guide here.) No drawbacks.
• Good and neutral characters will fare best in RotRL.
• Variant Multiclassing and Fractional base bonuses from Pathfinder Unchained are an option, as are background Skills.

Questions/ Suggestions? Ranting? I look forward to hearing from everyone  ;D

WhatLiesAbove

ChaoticSky

Also interested. Ill most likely get a character up on the weekend.

Also, WhatLies, that shouldnt stop you! Joiiin uuussssss~

WhatLiesAbove

Chulanowa

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on April 14, 2016, 04:47:20 PM
I'd be really interested, but I've never played Pathfinder

Well, I can certainly help you out with that!

Thorne

Nrrrh... okay, I give.
Two choices, both ranged. :p

Raz Silkwind, Elven Gunslinger (Musket Master)
As elves go, Raz doesn't fit most of the expectations. She has the mysterious part down, and she certainly takes the long view, but even her elvish has a strange accent, and she occasionally shows mannerisms that would better fit a dwarf.

Sulwyn, Human Magus (Eldritch Archer).
Sulwyn's been training with the bow in one fashion or another since she was tall enough to pull one. More an archer than the wizard her parents hoped for, she wields magic all the same, combining archery and sorcery with equal fervor.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Aiden

Blinkin

Name: Myranda Miler
Race: Half-Elf
Sex: Female
Height: 5’9
Weight: 135

Physical Description:
Standing an impressive 5’9, Wendy is a raven haired beauty with large, jade green eyes and full pouty lips in a tanned, heart shaped face. Straight and thin dark brows and a narrow, slightly upturned nose with her delicately pointed earsgives her an exotic look. A slender throat framed by a wild main of curls leads to shoulders that may be just a hint too wide for her feminine figure. Firm, generous C-cupped breasts manages to fill out her well made, if worn tunic that narrows to a taunt waist before flaring out again into well rounded hips and a tight ass. Long, well toned legs are encased in soft but well worn leathers before disappearing into soft soled boots that lace nearly to her knees. Wrapped about her waist; almost hanging on her hips, is a belt with a long bladed dagger and a quiver of long arrows; the only evidence of ordimentation is the intricately etched belt-buckle, in the shape of a wolf’s head in mid howl. When she moves, it’s with the unconscious grace of a cat, and with her earth-toned clothes, she seems as if she could blend into the surroundings with little trouble; a well made bow seems to never stray from her long, slender fingers.

Personality:

Myranda is a complex mixture of deadly seriousness and outrageous flirt. When she’s engaged in the business of keeping the forest and wilds free of evil, her focus is near total and her devotion to her profession almost like obsession. On the other hand, when Myranda isn’t doing business, she is an outgoing, live for the moment (It may be the last) woman and outrageous flirt. She doesn’t seem to have a particular sex that she teases and laughs with more than the other; just a need to count every minute and make it matter. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life, if you’re an enemy… well, don’t expect too much more life to live. Slow to trust and allow people into her life in a real way, once you reach her, you’re golden.

Equally at home in a crowded tavern as she is in solitude in the wilds that she calls home, she isn’t unknown for taking the odd man, or woman, into her bed for a night of passion, but she’s also well known for her ability to avoid commitment on a personal level when it comes to an actual relationship.

Background:

The youngest daughter of farmers, Myranda’s first 10 years were relatively normal. Up before sun-rise to begin the day, bed not long after sunset and hard, honest work in the middle. Even at the tender age of 10, Myranda helped the family in any way that was needed; be it helping in the kitchen or gathering wild herbs and berries for the family pot, she was helping in the fields at harvest by the time she was old enough to be taught when the produce was ready to be picked. All in all, it was a good life and one that she had never wanted for.

Sadly, in her 12th year, while in the forest harvesting herbs for her mother’s cook-pot, the farm was attacked and set afire by a band of roaming goblins and her entire family was killed; the females defiled before suffering their fates. This event, beyond all others, framed her life from that point onward.

After the massacre, the young half-elf maid was moved into the village of Sandpoint, and taken in by her human aunt and uncle, but she never fully left the forest and it’s allure; often sneaking off against the will of her foster-parents to explore and simply be alone with her continually simmering rage.

When Myranda was 16, she met a man in the forest who was tracking a band of Orcs that had recently moved into the area. His rough clothing and earnest attitude drew Brooke into pestering him to teach her more about the forest that she loved and that he seemed to know so much about. After some years, she became a Ranger and devoted herself to that profession… which gave her an excellent platform for her private little war.

Character sheet in the works, but will take a little time.

Questions: What creatures would make acceptable favored enemies? The guide isn't very specific on it and I hate to create a ranger who will never see a favored enemy.

Favored Terrains?

Background skills, 2 skill points per level?

Bonus feat, Can we use one of the bonus feats from the guide? I'm thinking in particular about big game hunter or Country born.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Foxfyr

After reading the player's handout more thoroughly, I opted to submit a barbarian instead.  :D

Name: Tavah Sunderfist
Class: Barbarian 1
Character Sheet

Personality:   Tavah's knowledge stems from living on a mountain fraught with dangerous monsters has to offer where common sense and insight is much more essential than what one can study from a book.  His mannerisms reflect this sort of rough upbringing.  In general, his interactions with people tend to be rather binary with only a few degrees between lighthearted banter with those he is fond of and overt loathing to those he is not.  The quickest way to fall into the former group is a tankard of alcohol, a vice of his that he often partakes of so long as there is no reason not to.

Background: From a young age Tavah was raised by his aunt and uncle after his parents had fallen victim to rockslide while hunting The Iron Peaks.  Such a thing was hardly unheard of among the dangerous mountains in which his tribe resided and was simply one of the many perils he and his kinsmen must endure for the sake of survival.  Still, the Sunderfist clan was a prosperous one and Tavah was never short of family members who sought to raise him, but it was his half-elf aunt and uncle who took primary custody of the infant.  It was through this barbaric community that he learned how to provide for himself as well as the group along with the means to protect it.

The Sunderfist clan is unique in that its totem weapon is in the form of over-sized weapons that are designed to fell even the largest of creatures that resided in The Iron Peaks in a single blow.  Training with these weapons required great strength and endurance to use them with any measure of efficiency, but through implacable determination Tavah was able to become skilled with this signature blade.

Then came Tavah's 25th birthday.  A milestone among every adult within his clan in which they set forth and venture into the world beyond their mountainous homeland to see what wonders and glory they can attain for both their clan and their tribe.  This was also the day that his uncle gifted him with his father's sword that had been passed down to the eldest male of his family for countless generations.  Despite its old age and very regular use, the sword remains as pristine as the day it was first forged.  With treasured weapon slung over his back and what few items he had managed to gather over his lifetime, Tavah set out to see the vast world that awaited him and see what sort of name he could make for himself before returning to his village.

CurvyKitten

Tempting, I've been really wanting to get some good old fashion D&D and Pathfinder going. Never thought of doing it on a board, but I have a character bouncing around my brain I just need to play hehe. Granted I have a BG with a strange twist that may need to be approved. Here is a blurb about the character, sorry its in first person, that is just how she is bouncing about my brain at the moment.

QuoteWell let’s face it I should have known better, I mean I was just a wayward elf with sticky fingers and it was dusty old shiny bit. Temptation at its finest, and again...I really should have known better. But when you’re a desperate elf with a need for some good wine sense sometimes tends to go out the window. Plus it was sooooo easy, ok to easy, again I should have known better

But that is beside the point, now to cut a long story short I may have stolen a magical trinket. Now to be fair it was out in the middle of nowhere, no owner to speak off...at the time, and I thought it was just something I could exchange for a bit of gold. What I didn't know was that this particular trinket once belonged to a rather tricky wizard. Now here I was thinking most magic was POOF gone and suddenly I get whammed by a curse and shrunk!!! One minute I'm a tall drink of water and the next I'm FUN SIZE! You can imagine how that can throw a girl for a loop. And apparently no one knows where this thing came from, who it belonged to, or how to undo this shrinking mojo. So now I'm stuck, and left wondering about trying to survive, not get stepped...or sat on (it happened, don't ask I'd rather forget ~shivers~) and trying to find a way to change back.

As you can see the character is a bit cookie hehe. It was an elf that got her sticky fingers on an item that was either cursed or belonged to someone that cursed her for taking it. And was turned into a halfling (granted it was originally a Kender). Rogue of course, and I have a all to entertaining idea if Aiden still wants to play a rogue as well.

Ok I've rambled on enough hehe

let me know what you think
curvy

WhatLiesAbove

mellowdude

Blinkin

Well... crap, I see Thorn is doing a ranged character, so I guess it's back to the drawing board... I just know Chewy is probably tired of me offering swashbucklers.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Thorne

Sorry, Blink. Figured it was time I ran something that isn't melee or support. ^^;

How's your wizard-fu? ^.~
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Blinkin

to be honest, my wizard-foo isn't good. I've experimented with a warpriest, but someone else is going to offer a full cleric, I think, so not sure how that would work... and dwarves are considered incredibly un-sexy...

Thief... a couple of people have picked up on that... You can only offer so many varieations on a swashbuckler at 1st level, and I think that I've offered all of them at some point in the recent past... But generally, I dislike playing pure spell-casters... have to think about this.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

mellowdude

Ever considered Alchemist, Blinkin? Or maybe a Bard?

Amelita

Currently working on this deary:

Link.

She's an elven slayer. (Rogue+Ranger)

Personality:
Nadia is highly independent and resourceful, not much for fluffy warm cuddles, and prefers sarcasm over sincerity. Her chaotic neutral nature is very evident in her decision making and she is secure in her philosophy that her own gain should be her only priority. She is, however, not an unfriendly or cold person to interact with, often flirtatious and might even give an impression of sincerity she hardly ever feels. She believes in the loyalty of no person or creature, gravitates towards those who do not pretend to be everybody's friend because she feels more comfortable around them, and is perfectly content with this. She is not evil, nor is she too concerned with laws of men. Nothing is clear cut, black and white, to her. Does it mean she's always a bitch or that she never does a nice thing? Not at all. She'll have random whims of kindness and desire to do good just for the heck of it, just as often as she decides to do the opposite.

Bio:
The circumstance of Nadia's birth were not exactly optimal. Her mother was a ranger, born and raised in a small rural community that upheld traditional values and humility towards their heritage. She had been promised to the son of an influential landowner since she was a child, but when a charming stranger started visiting the area she was powerless. A stormy love affair spanned a few months and the young ranger ended up pregnant, at which point the rogue hero of her fantasies vanished. Left pregnant and humiliated, Nadia's mother was no longer considered a suitable mate for the landowner's son and her life changed drastically. She raised Nadia alone for three years but then left her for her grandparents to find and disappeared. Nadia's grandparents felt obligated to take care of the child and did so until she was old enough to be sent to live with family in Magnimar.

She was pretty much a kid, still, when she began to thread the streets of her new home city and found comfort in the crowds where no one wondered who she was or how she came to be. They didn't give a damn about her, which meant she could be whoever she wanted to be. The family she lived with consisted of an aunt, uncle and three kids her own age, none of whom she formed a real connection with nor felt ties to. As soon as she could, she moved into a small loft in a shady part of the city.

The skills she picked up by simple necessity (to eat you need food, to have food you need money, to have money you need idiots who don't guard their belt pouches) developed through the years but only once she caught the attention of a certain couple did she truly begin to blossom in what would then become her trait. The half elf and gnome couple, a husband and wife team of monster hunters from Sandpoint, pretty much adopted the young elven thief and guided her onto a path where her talents and heritage could thrive. She lived with them in Sandpoint, travelled with them on their hunts, and they got her training with friends of friends. Survival, education, marksmanship, tracking, hunting, archery, acrobatics... Years spent on focused training between travels with her adopted family earned her not only the boost she needed to grow into her full potential, but a place to truly call home. She owed them everything, and they were the only people in the world she considered mother and father in any sense of the words. 

It was on an ironically beautiful morning that Nadia learned she was once again alone in the world, her adoptive parents slain by a monster they had been hunting for weeks. She resolved to revenge them, but before she could go off on that journey, fate stepped in her way...

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Aiden

My Sheet

My sheet, I think it is done minus the personality and background stuff.

Chulanowa

Quote from: CurvyKitten on April 15, 2016, 03:11:38 PM
Tempting, I've been really wanting to get some good old fashion D&D and Pathfinder going. Never thought of doing it on a board, but I have a character bouncing around my brain I just need to play hehe. Granted I have a BG with a strange twist that may need to be approved. Here is a blurb about the character, sorry its in first person, that is just how she is bouncing about my brain at the moment.

As you can see the character is a bit cookie hehe. It was an elf that got her sticky fingers on an item that was either cursed or belonged to someone that cursed her for taking it. And was turned into a halfling (granted it was originally a Kender). Rogue of course, and I have a all to entertaining idea if Aiden still wants to play a rogue as well.

Ok I've rambled on enough hehe

let me know what you think
curvy

I'm one of those crazy people who actually likes kender, so you have my attention. it sounds like Aiden is going rogue though, so there's that

Quote from: BlinkinQuestions: What creatures would make acceptable favored enemies? The guide isn't very specific on it and I hate to create a ranger who will never see a favored enemy.

Favored Terrains?

Background skills, 2 skill points per level?

Bonus feat, Can we use one of the bonus feats from the guide? I'm thinking in particular about big game hunter or Country born.

In the first part of the adventure, Humanoid (Human) or Humanoid (Goblinoid) would get the most use. As this thing progresses, Undead, Giants, and Outsider (Evil) become somewhat common opponents. There are others, of course, RotRL does the "grab bag" thing. But those are the major ones.

For terrains, I can tell you that "Cold", "Desert", "Jungle", "Planes" and "aquatic" won't be appearing much, if at all. Unless you goes somehow sandbox your way into one of them ("let's go diving for Thassalonian Ruins" you say?)

Yes, you can find the background Skills system here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills

I'm using the Anniversary edition Player's Guide, as linked in the starting post. So no, not using hte bonus regional feats from the old Player's Guide; RotRL was originally written for 3.5, and stuff like that was intended to be a sort of "gap filler" for the sparcity of feats in 3.5. Anniversary edition updates the adventure path to full-fledged pathfinder, so that's not really needed. you can still take those with your normal allowance of fets, if you want to though.

Blinkin

After some consideration, I think that I'm going to stick with the original concept and submit a ranger. The other classes suggested were interesting, but starting from scratch with an unfamiliar class would be a little more than I can deal with in the time limits suspected.

So, Myranda is above and I'll offer up a character sheet later in the day and we'll see what happens. If I get a slot, I'll be thrilled, if Thorn gets it, I'll be happy for thorne. :)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 16, 2016, 01:06:24 AM
I'm one of those crazy people who actually likes kender, so you have my attention. it sounds like Aiden is going rogue though, so there's that

Well I don't want to step on any toes or anything. So I'm backing out of this one, no worries I'm sure I'll find some place to play the idea. You all have fun :)

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

WhatLiesAbove

mellowdude

Most popular place for sheets as far as I know is myth-weavers. You'll need to create an account for that though (it's free). They simplify the process somewhat. A lot of people just write up sheets directly in threads though.

Florence

Hmm, I've been wanting to try Rise of the Runelords.

I'll see if I can think up a character to submit.

I've been wanting to try one of the hybrid classes, are those allowed?

I think if they are, I might try whipping up a brawler.

Edit: On second thought, I might go with shaman. Brawler sounds cool in theory, but I'm not sure the actual class appeals to me all that well.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.