News:

Main Menu

Girly Games!

Started by Madalina, September 05, 2008, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoness

What's "girly"? Is it everything that doesn't have a particularly masculine aesthetic? If so, I like those games. Is it only those games with the ridiculously stereotypical "everything is pink and soft and you're supposed to identify with the helpless princess who aspires to nothing more than domestic duties"? If so, I despise those games. I do tend to prefer a feminine aesthetic over a masculine one, but I don't always agree with others as to what is feminine and what is masculine. Stereotypes are silly.

Here's a game I like: Mighty Jill Off. It's by a female developer - does that make it girly? I think the aesthetic is feminine, though quite far from stereotypes of what femininity is. The gameplay is a rather pure expression of what games are: in this, it stands apart from mainstream popular games, which tend to focus on the older and more-completely-understood types of art that make up a game (graphics, story, etc).

By the way, it's free to download and play, and pretty short - I'd be curious what people here think of it.

Chris Brady

Demoness, I've found (And I could be wrong, I admit) that most games that the stores consider for 'her' have a heavy romance aspect to them, or have little violence.

Games like the aforementioned Kingdom Hearts series, the Harvest Moon series, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, and frankly a fair amount of RPGs and the like.

Then again, most 'Games for Men' are usually the First Person Shooters.  Which unless have a good story, bore the living daylights out of me.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ZK

I prefer games for "us" instead of "games for guys and games for girls". For example, the latest game Valkyria Chronicles I picked up has a little bit of everything, from romance plots, realistic characters and nice tactical based combat with WWII era type weapons and tanks merged with fantasy.

My tastes are varied and there is only so much gore and so much cutsie. I love a mix of all.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Chris Brady

Personally, I don't make the distinction.  A game is a game, is a game.  If I find something about it I really like, I'll play it.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Wha! Wait! Harvest Moon is a 'girlie' game (Sorry Girly ain't a world...) Seemed awfully sexist to me actually. You couldn't actually play a girl until what? Game Cube, GBA? I thought it was more of a kiddie game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ZK

I thought it had freaky pedo overtones, as you get married, have children and your avatar looks like they're 10 years old. *scared*

But as I said earlier, Valkyria Chronicles is basically this, a war drama with a human element. AWESOME. ^.^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Oniya

My latest obsession is a puzzle game called Enigma.  Freeware, opensource, and infectious music for the win!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

Anything Sims (apart from Sim City). Although I got peeved that in Sims II you can't build the house from scratch. That was half the fun!

I haven't played in a couple of years, though. Way too addictive, if I started again. When I first installed it... well, you know those little pop-ups about how the game came to be, that start appearing after you spend 100 days in the house? I got to them on the first evening.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2008, 09:30:29 PM
My latest obsession is a puzzle game called Enigma.  Freeware, opensource, and infectious music for the win!

So...  Is there a link available?

Oniya

www.nongnu.org/enigma/

But of course ^^  Some of the levels are insanely easy, others are just insane.  I've had to skip over quite a few, but eventually I'll go back and look at them.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Huntress

DDR....Guitar Hero/Rockband...Super smash bros melee, and possibly mariokart. for the ye ol' nintendo 64.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lilias on November 09, 2008, 09:59:31 AM
Anything Sims (apart from Sim City). Although I got peeved that in Sims II you can't build the house from scratch. That was half the fun!

I haven't played in a couple of years, though. Way too addictive, if I started again. When I first installed it... well, you know those little pop-ups about how the game came to be, that start appearing after you spend 100 days in the house? I got to them on the first evening.
You can build you own house in the Sims 2. You have to place a blank lot wherever you can.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.