Interest check - Legend of the Five Rings

Started by HairyHeretic, December 23, 2007, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Amid the rolling hills and gentle plains of Rokugan rests a city whose walls are as green as jade. Located in the heart of the lands held by the secretive Scorpion, the city is Ryoko Owari Toshi, Journeys End City, the darkest lair of intrigue and villany in the Emerald Empire. Behind the city's gleaming gates lie dark secrets, hidden treasures and posioned knives. Geisha, sake works and even more sinister vices await the unwary traveler who dares seek his fate in the cold, black heart of the city. Brave her streets if you dare, but beware, for danger hides behind painted faces.

This is the City of Lies

- - - - -

City of Lies is a 1st ed L5R boxed campaign, that I would propose running under 3rd ed rules. The players would take the roles of Emerald Magistrates travelling to the city with a two-fold mission; first - break up the illegal opium trade (Ryoko Owari being the center of both the legal and illegal opium trade); and secondly, find out who murdered the previous Emerald Magistrate.

Anyone interested? I can accomidate 6-8 players on this (given the group I've played with locally), though with more players some would likely be yoriki (deputies to the Magistrates) or perhaps yojimbo (bodyguards).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Elven Sex Goddess

I have a very big interest in LotFR.   However, I only have the books in the d20 system and not the original d10 system.   

An not familiar with the 1st edition.  The Scorpion captital, is it under caretaker care of the Unicorn clan at this time.  Plus another question can a character be like a Shosuro or Bayushi  posing as a yoriki or yojimbo.

HairyHeretic

The campaign is 1st ed, but I'd be running with 3rd ed rules. I can sort you out there, so don't worry. I've played 1st, 2nd and 3rd ed, and I think 3rd ed is the best ruleset.

The campaign takes place in the year 1122, which is a fair bit before the current timeline the card game has advanced. This is significantly pre Scorpion coup.

The Scorpion are still a great clan, and the Mantis a minor one at this point in time. The city is Scorpion, governed by the Shosuro family, though there are members of all the Scorpion families there. The Unicorn have a fairly major presence, as this city is a trade hub for them too. Scorpion characters will not be a problem.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

L5R makes me want to bring up my Mirumoto Bushi.  I love that setup.

Elayne

A system game I recognize!  :)

I'd love to play in this, maybe as a Crane or Scorpion, or a Crab. 
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Lanzlo

This does sound interesting. I would like to join in. I do have the 3rd Ed book, so I can create a character for you.

HairyHeretic

Ok, 4 is a good number to get started with. If anyone else is interested we can sort them out as and when they arrive.

What characters are people interested in? I know we have a (confirmed?) Mirumoto bushi, but what about the rest of you? I would recommed a shukenja in the party, based on my own experiences with the campaign.

To make things a bit easier on you, do you want to start at rank 2, or just go with beginning characters? And who all wants a hand with character creation (standard 3rd ed rules, with 1 free roll on the backgrounds chart, if you want it).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Muse

Hi, I've never made a character for third edition, but I'd love to play, if the pace is reasonable. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

I'd be interested, but I don't actually know the system.  I'll have to see if I can dig it up somewhere.

HairyHeretic

I can *ahem* provide help with the rules, where necessary  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Seereous

I would most definitely be interested in this game. However, i do not have the books, though that is a problem easily remedied.

I'm thinking one of either the Spider Clan or the Phoenix. Given the premise, perhaps the Spider Clan would be best, yes?

Jefepato

That might be good.  The corebook seems to be the one book that can't be found.

HairyHeretic

At this point in the timeline the Spider do not exist.

The Mantis are still a minor clan, so would unlikely to be providing a magistrate, but I have no issue with yoriki coming from minor clans. Oh, and the Agasha are still members of the Dragon clan. They haven't moved to the Phoenix yet.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elven Sex Goddess

Alright I am looking for help  I have decided to play a if possible  a  Crane  Shugenja/courtier type of the Asahina family 

Her name will be Asahina Meiwha.    An of course will adhere to the standard Asahina family trait of pacifism.   So Lanzo, Hairyhertic I need help in creating in the 3rd edition system.  Since all I have is the d20 rules for the setting.   With selecting the proper schools and such and getting the traits down. 

Thanks

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I have no problem with several people coming from the same clan.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

LordAnubis

Standard rules for making a rank 2?  build character like normal then the XP listed in the 3rd Ed. book?  Just wanted to make sure before I began building him.  It's the usual 45 Cp and then 40 xp.  Since being rank 2 requires the 150 insight rating.

Also, is it fine if we buy Katas provided we have the XP left over to afford it?

HairyHeretic

I suggested rank 2 to start with, but no one has weighed in with a yay or nay on it. Before everyone gets too involved in character creation, can I get a consensus on that from everyone please. Do you want to start with standard character creation, or go with rank 2?

If the majority want rank 2, then we go with the rules in the book45CP to start with, and then 40xp to advance. If you don't reach the rank 2 in spending those xp, thems the breaks.

I have no problem with katas being bought, as long as you fulfill the requirements for it. For those who have other 3rd ed books and want to use any advantages / disadvantages / katas or whatever from them, run it by me first. I don't think there are any that are unbalancing, but I'd rather check.

Some may have come in at a later point in the timeline, hence would be better avoided now is my only concern.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Elayne

I'd prefer to begin with rank 1 characters and move up in the story.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Elven Sex Goddess

I will go with the consensus, it matters not 1st or 2nd rank in starting.  I will go with the majority the others want. 

Muse

As I recall, in Rokugan, Kabuki theater isn't entirly beneath a noble? 

Could I do a samurai from one of the clans bordering the Shadowlands who had a soft spot for Kabuki theater growing up, to the point where he learned some hand fighting and acrobatics as part of the performance, then spent a few years fighting the shadowlands, and is curently along as a yojimbo on account of the last group of magistraits being murdered? 

My usual charecter archetypes for more cunning charecters really don't lend themselves to samurai honor, but a serene, courteous, physicaly strong, and very dangerous samurai could be a lot of fun. 

Come to think of it, if Yojimbo's are secondary concepts, though, I could do just fine with a particularly high born samurai-ko named Sakura who is tall, but more quick and gracious than strong, and is trained for both diplomacy and combat. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

I never object to a more powerful character, so if we're putting it to a vote I'd rather start at rank 2, but I don't much mind either way.  I'm still learning the system (which I must say looks pretty cool), so starting small won't be so bad.

Do I understand correctly that characters who aren't members of the samurai caste or monks pretty much get screwed (not just socially but stat-wise)?

LordAnubis

I personally vote for rank 2, I found in the table top game I was always blitzing for 2nd rank because that was when the Mirumoto Bushi could really stand their own in a fight and focus on expanding skills, even noncombat skills.  Plus when you achieve rank 2 you have to travel back to get training.

Coutiers and the like don't get screwed.  You only get screwed if you try to play a peasant, which I don't think you can.

If anyone intends to play a monk magistrate I'm going to ask my friend his build, 3k3 unarmed damage, better then a Katana.

HairyHeretic

No, monks aren't screwed, as some of their kihos can be quite powerful. One of the folks in my pen and paper group plays a monk. Monks are a little odd socially, since they're kinda outside of the normal social structure, but they're normally treated with respect.

Playing a ronin, or a member of a minor clan will put you at a disadvantage socially, but not necessarily stat-wise. I'd have to rule out ronin as anything other than yojimbo to another character though. You simply wouldn't have a ronin magistrate. A sufficiently talented ronin could serve as yoriki or doshin (doshin are a minor yoriki, very much a magistrates foot troops).

The only clan border the shadowlands is the crab, and they wouldn't have much time for theatre. If you don't want to play a particularly honorable character, you always have the option of a Scorpion, who no one expects to be honourable (whether they are or not), or a minor clan member, who aren't held as strictly to the code of bushido as a great clan member.

The one person expected to have a yojimbo would be the shukenja, as others are expected to fight their own duels :)

I'd also recommend everyone put 1 point into Lore - Law. As a magistrate, you're kinda expected to know the law :) Investigation is also another useful skill.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Quote from: hairyheretic on December 25, 2007, 03:01:20 PM
No, monks aren't screwed, as some of their kihos can be quite powerful.

I said those who aren't samurai or monks.  IIRC, there was a sidebar mentioning how to play people further down the social ladder.  Apparently it's possible if you really want to, but you miss out on all the bonuses.  But I suppose it wouldn't make much sense in this game anyway.

I'm vaguely thinking of playing a Scorpion, but I need to read more.