The Barricades (Tragedy. Recruiting M&F)

Started by Montagne, June 07, 2013, 08:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montagne

So comrades, come rally,
  And the last fight let us face.
  The Internationale,
  Unites the human race.
  The Internationale,
  Unites the human race.
                                                                               -- The Internationale, English lyrics.

The year is 2026. After a collection of shocks to the Eurozone markets towards the end of the previous decade the currency finally collapsed in on itself. Countries across the continent defaulted on their obligations, governments collapsed, unable to pay for the services they had promised their people. Out from this second great depression rose again the spectre of harsh reactionary governments. The EU fell apart, businesses were nationalised, and rights were restricted in an attempt to rebuild "national unity." Black clothed police officers enforce nation wide curfews after dark, and people can be arrested and disappeared without a trace. However, unemployment grows with every quarter; food, fuel and other essentials continue to skyrocket in price. As the discontent among the people reaches uncontrollable levels, people take to the streets.

This story follows a group of university radicals in a dystopian future. When they hear a city wide illegal protest is ready to take place, the young idealists really believe this is the end for the tyranny they are living under. They occupy their campus buildings, a large quad in the oldest part of the city, barricading the entrances in protest. News quickly comes to them that the police have opened fire upon the protesters across the rest of the city killing dozens, and that they are the only ones left fighting.

The story is a tragedy, drawing heavy influences from Les Miserables and the June Revolution in which the book is set. A young group of idealist students led by charismatic young men and women prepare to defend their rights when there is no one left to stand with them. The mood and theme is one of people far too young to understand what lies ahead of them as they prepare to do battle. There will be chances for romances formed fighting on the barricades, the passion of youth burning there. The story will be one of limited scope, with a planned end for the story rather than one which is open ended. My hope is to end with the scene in which the barricades are finally over-run, the students falling in the night to soldiers who came to fight them, so this should be kept in mind when people apply to play in the game. The players will not only be reacting to each other, but also NPCs in the setting, which will be controlled by myself (and possibly a Co-GM when necessary.)

The morning started off jubilantly. People sang songs and hundreds of students first came to the rally but, once the firing began nearly all scattered and ran. Now only a few of them remain. The students form mostly 3 groups. The Communists, The Anarchists, and The Pacifists. Other students stand on the barricades unaffiliated, but they are rare. The  Communists and Anarchists might come from very different ends of the spectrum, but they both know they need to fight the foes in front of them. The Communists represent the larger portion of the students, their leader commanding the defense as best they can. The Anarchists stand shoulder to shoulder with them fewer in number, but more prepared for such a conflict; one of their members rigging the universities 3D printer to produce the arms they need to protect themselves. Together they were the ones who built the barricades, preparing to meet resistance. The pacifists on the other hand came to peacefully occupy the square, largest in number, although most scattered when the fighting began. Some of them remain, unyielding in the face of terror, but when the shooting begins, will they pick up weapons and join their fellow students, or will they let their principles last till the end.

Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number-
Shake your chains to earth like
dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you
Ye are many-they are few.”
                                                                                           --  Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Masque of Anarchy.

The Roles.

There are some Roles I want specifically filled. Multiple people can apply for the same role, and I will select the most fitting entry. The character traits needed are found in the brackets. There are several "free slots" for players to create whatever character they wish. Other members of the student body will be represented by NPCs. If you have a particularly interesting idea you feel doesn't really fit into any of the broad categories post below, and perhaps an additional slot can be added. There is a section on the character sheet that is listed "Death: Heroic/Realistic." This allows you to decide whether you wish your character to be open to the whims of the plots realism, IE that he could die at any moment (Realistic). Or if you wish it to happen in a pre-planned OOC scene that is then enacted (Heroic).

The Communists
The Idealist Atlas (A Charismatic leader ready to lead his people. He is full of idealistic zeal, but is inwardly scared for the coming conflict.)

The Friend   Cerevan (He the only one of them who knows theres no way they are getting out of this alive, but everyone whos ever cares about him is on these barricades, and he'll stay with them, no matter the consequences.)

The Mascot Visna (Their youngest member, he's only just turned 18. Cheery, Strong Willed and loveable. Of all the people, he shouldn't be here.)

Free Character #1

Free Character #2

The Anarchists
The Revolutionary Julles ((s)he has spent their time building up a network of people ready to fight when the time is right, and now is that time. Committed, strong willed and uncompromising.)

The Hacker (A computer hacker, who's created a community for documenting and preparing to resist the tyranny of the state. He truly believes he can win, compiling from wherever possible the blue prints for firearms and tools to help aid his brothers and sisters.)

The Nihilist (He accepts what most do not, that this is a lost cause. But he stands on the barricades anyway. Better to live a day as a lion, than a lifetime as a sheep.)

The Pacifists

The Community Organizer ( He's a brave man, who has been thrown in a jail cell and beaten on numerous occasions peacefully occupying buildings, bringing attention to the plight of those in need. He truly believes non-violence can win over those who are against him.)

The Lover(A young wo(man) who has seen the tyranny of the state first hand, who is in love with one of the Communists, who is unaware of his/her affections. They wont leave the barricades without them.)

The Doctor (A young med student. (s)hes never fired a gun before... In fact, this whole thing is terrifying to him/her. But when the first of the wounded from the protests appear, (s)he knows that they cannot leave.

Free Character #1 The Hanged Man

The Barricades: Character sheet

[insert Image Here]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Played by:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]

[b]Role/Archetype:[/b]
[b]Death [/b]: Heroic/Realistic
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Background/History:[/b]
[b]Additional Character Info:[/b]

Frelance

I am interested in playing one of the Anarchists if this game gets off the ground. Not sure which one yet though.
Evolution is an arms race

Visna

This is amazing! Les Miserables is one of my favorite books, and the barricade is one of my favorite scenes.

There are a few roles I really wouldn't mind playing: The Friend, The Mascot, The Nihilist, Custom Communist, or The Lover. I'll think about it (and see what others choose) and then decide.

Montagne

It's one of my favourites aswell! Been looking forward to running this for some time!

Julles

I am very interested in this! It sounds very exciting. So many roles, not sure which I would want to play. I like them all, if this gets going I guess I can pick one then, but kind of leaning towards the revolutionary.  Exciting.

AdrianZef

This looks great! Definitely interested. From a first glance, The Nihilist, The Friend, or one of The Pacifists (or a Free Character, of course) look like characters I could play well. I'll come up with a character sheet and PM it? Or should I post it here?
Don't know if you want to roleplay with me? The answer is yes, you do. But fine, I guess I'll give you one of these: Ons and Offs, as well as a Wishlist.

Julles

Yes, I think I would like to put in a character sheet for The Revolutionary.

Montagne

Quote from: AdrianZef on June 11, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
This looks great! Definitely interested. From a first glance, The Nihilist, The Friend, or one of The Pacifists (or a Free Character, of course) look like characters I could play well. I'll come up with a character sheet and PM it? Or should I post it here?

Do post all character sheets here. As it lets players see the characters playing, especially as some are connected

TheHangedOne

Name: Erik "Garyo" Snyder
Played by: TheHangedMan
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Short, brown
Height: 5'8
Sexuality: Straight

Role/Archetype: Free Pacifist
Death : Heroic
Personality: Calm, even-tempered, kind, caring, courteous. Protective.
Background/History: Erik was born in Germany, but spent portions of his youth abroad with his parents, who were both archeologists. Despite the love of archeology they instilled in the young man, he wound up finding other subjects to fascinate him.

When he was 16, he started studying Buddhism as a solitary practitioner. While his interpretations of the text are unorthodox, he believes he is following "the right path for me".  He chose a Buddhist name at age 18, Garyo, which means "laying dragon".

His time at the university has primarily been spent learning more about philosophy, history, and sociology. 
Additional Character Info: While technically a pacifist, you could look at him as closer to being a Yamabushi than a true monk. He knows how to fight, and will likely take up arms, but only as an absolute last resort; he will, however, refrain from taking lives.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Montagne

I love the character idea. Could you find a picture for him?

TheHangedOne

I think I have a good one in store, yes. Just got to find it.
Check out my poet tree!

Question Mark

Awesome concept!  I always loved a dramatic, tense, and tragic story where the hopeful  few, so full of vitality, stand up against impossible odds.  Even if they fall before the faceless masks of authoritarianism, their sacrifice will inspire a new generation of idealists to take up the torch.

I'm 100% planning on making a Pacifist.  I'm currently leaning towards the Doctor.  Instead of a med school student -- if it's alright with you, of course -- I was thinking a US Navy corpsman who's on leave, visiting a friend at the university when things get crazy.  He decides to stick around to help with the inevitable casualties.  I'll whip up a basic sheet real quick, but I'll be sure to finish it in the next day or two if you're okay with the corpsman angle.

Name: Peter Floyd-Killian
Played by: ?
Eyes: TBD
Hair: TBD
Height: TBD
Sexuality: Straight, Celibate

Role/Archetype: Pacifist, the Doctor
Death: Realistic
Personality: Quiet, introspective, with a kind heart and a disposition for decisive action.  He doesn't talk much; not out of social anxiety, but because he prefers to listen and process what others have to say.  Although empathetic and sensitive to the pain of others, he does not come across as compassionate because he intentionally distances himself from people emotionally.  Has a very strict moral and ethical compass, and holds himself to rigid personal rules and guidelines.  He is self-disciplined, driven, and results-oriented.
Background/History: American, raised by his father, a veteran of the Iraq/Afghanistan conflicts in the 2010s.  After high school, he enlisted as a hospital corpsman in the Navy.
Additional Character Info: TBD

Montagne

Hey, Welcome aboard Question Mark. I'd love you to take the Doctor role but I'm going to have to veto the US Navy Corpsman, as the whole point of the theme is as you said the few young souls, who don't know what war or fighting is, which is defeated if the roles are then filled by non-students, especially war veterans.

Question Mark

Quote from: Atlas on June 15, 2013, 07:38:08 PM
Hey, Welcome aboard Question Mark. I'd love you to take the Doctor role but I'm going to have to veto the US Navy Corpsman, as the whole point of the theme is as you said the few young souls, which is sort of defeated if the roles are then filled by non-students, especially war veterans.

I understand, but to clarify, he's not a war veteran, and is of student age.

TheHangedOne

Erik now has a picture. Added it to my previous post.
Check out my poet tree!

Montagne

Quote from: Question Mark on June 15, 2013, 09:02:00 PM
I understand, but to clarify, he's not a war veteran, and is of student age.

Ahh Apologies, I miss-read the history as him being in the Iraq war, rather than his father. However, would you mind making him a student or give me much more details about him, rather than someone whos had military training?

Also, my character will be coming up soon ;D

The photos awesome Hanged.

Montagne

Important stuff to come tomorrow!

Name: Warwick Howe
Played by: Atlas
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Height:6’1
Sexuality:Bisexual

Role/Archetype:Communist Leader
Personality:
Background/History:
Additional Character Info:

Julles

Name:
Emma Rose Vemano (EV = "Evie")

Played by:
Julles
Eyes:
Blue
Hair:
Blonde
Height:
5'3
Sexuality:
Straight

Role/Archetype:
Anarchist -
The Revolutionary
Death :
Realistic
Personality: Evie is a very strong willed young woman. All her thoughts in her mind are the right way of thinking and anybody who thinks differently, or shows no sign of trying to understand her way of thinking, is the enemy. She has never backed down in a fight which has back fired on her a few times, but she doesn't care. Even though she is set in her ways, she isn't crazy either. Evie is actually a very smart and caring young woman with the talent to boot. She has made a lot friends over the years because of her caring and giving personality side.
Background/History: Evie was raised by her uncle, given to him when she was seven. So, he is basically her father, she treats him like one. He was a very strict person when she was growing up. A lot time limits and curfews among the onslaught of rules that were bestowed upon her as she grew up. As her mind started developing into its own, she started fighting back. Ever since then she has been breaking many rules. Her uncle has seemed to have lost respect for her as he is a polar opposite on most of her beliefs.
She was the only child from her real parents, but her two cousins that she grew up with and treated like her brothers are both older than her. They both went to war in 2012 and are still away on duty. They were very close, and she misses them a lot, sometimes even feeling a little lost without them. Besides those three men, there really was no other family in Evie's life. That was it, and that is why she probably felt the need to get a lot of friends. Beyond that, she had a very normal upbringing, not rich, not poor, just coasted along. She never asked about her birth parents, and never showed interest in finding them: a rare thing for orphans.
Additional Character Info: Evie's a very loyal person, and all of her friends are very loyal to her as well. This is the reason that she trusts them all so much, even to come and bear arms with her if need be.

Montagne

Julles

Thanks! I can't wait to get this started.

Cerevan

Is the Friend or the Doctor still open, before I start furiously scribbling a character sheet? ;)

Montagne

friend certainly is, get scribbling away!

Cerevan

Cerevan

Name: Kieran Matthews, "Kie"

Played by: Cerevan

Eyes: dark brown

Hair: black, kept in buzz cut

Height: 5'11"

Sexuality: bisexual

Role/Archetype: Communists — The Friend

Personality: Smart and observant, Kie is often the snarky devil’s advocate in any given situation. He’s much more aware of the realities of the world than he lets on, and sees the weaknesses in others that they cannot. Despite this, he loves fiercely and his most defining trait is that of loyalty even unto death. He is giving of himself, taking in strays and rebels alike, and tries to keep everyone safe using his wits.

Background/History: Keiran grew up not with parents, but with a long string of nannies and maids. Though his family was well off and prestigious and though he was given the best of everything that money could buy, he was quite lonely. Once it became clear that he was quite intelligent, his parents began to parade him out to meet their friends and important people within the government. He always performed well, the adorably precocious youngster with big eyes and a winsome grin.

When he turned fourteen, he was sponsored to become part of a prestigious governmental program for secondary learning. It’s likely the sponsorship was primarily based on his family name, since the program was only a thin veil for churning out pro-government propaganda and creating the next generation of ‘leaders.’ Kie’s time in the program did just the opposite—he became aware of just how badly things were going behind the scenes of these governments and just how dangerous they truly were.

In college he tried to put those years behind him. He made friends with jailbait protestors and armchair revolutionaries, wrote manifestos that never went further than his door to his dorm, and played devil’s advocate every time those he cared about got too loud in their fight against “the man.”

Additional Character Info: [This is all vague and open to change in the near future.] Kie loves everyone in his group fiercely, and would die for any and all of them. He’s aware of what is coming when the barricades break but has been putting all of his formidable brain power to figuring out how to get as many as possible out alive. He’s especially protective of The Mascot. [Possibly he’s also in love with someone in either the Communists or another group, and has kept quiet about it…?]

Montagne

I love him so much! Slowly building up  cast, I think this game is going to be great, just need a few more players ;D