News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Getting windows on a new machine with no OS?

Started by Mymar, June 24, 2015, 11:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

I was considering downloading the evaluation 8.1 and either using the license from my current PC, or just buying a new one so I can continue to use this one until all important documents are off this machine. So my question is can this work? Or do I need to actually have a disc? I didn't get a cd drive for my new PC because I don't really use my old one anyway, and if I do need it I figured I could just take it out of the case. So, what are my options? Do they still make external drives for DVDs etc?

The Dark Raven

They make external drives, yes.

You could also get a copy of the eval copy and put on a thumb drive and install it that way, but you will have to tell the computer to boot from the thumb drive (which I am not versed on how that works, I just know it can be done).

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

TwistedAlice

Mymar

Thanks, I figured it out, my plan was the wrong one. Apparently all I had to do was go to where I bought windows from and redownload it. Silly me.