News:

Main Menu

Favorite games ever.

Started by Jude, July 19, 2010, 11:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

if we're talking about XCOM, there is a trailer up now on the 360 Marketplace..and I'm sure on Gametrailers.com.

It's going to be an FPS similar to Bioshock.

Hemingway

Considering how well Bethesda managed to turn a top-down, turn-based game into a first-person shooter, I'm vaguely optimistic about XCOM. If they get the story right, manage to give it that X-Files sense of mystery, and being unaware of what you're really facing, I think it'll be great.

Obviously, if an FPS isn't your thing to begin with, that's a slightly different matter.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Well Bethesda really just turned an isometric, very good RPG into the same first person RPG they've been making for years--just with guns. In the instance of the new X-Com game it's going to be handled by 2K Marin who have only made the fairly underwhelming Bioshock 2.

HairyHeretic

Come to think of it, I think I have heard about the XCOM one. They're setting it back in the 1950s or something.

Meh, pass. I liked the original, but this is changing all the stuff I like, and unless the finished product is incredible, I won't be playing it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kckolbe

Uncharted Waters (SNES)-I never played another game more, likely never will.  You play a common sailor whose family's lands were lost.  You start with nothing but a small ship and some goods.  You build up money through trade and eventually and up with better ships and can have more than one.  You fight off pirates and warships, and maybe do a little pirating yourself.  The goal is to build up rank until the princess is captured and you have to go save her.  What I really loved was the fighting at sea.  Every battle was a blast.  When it ended, I didn't even wanna marry the princess (not that it mattered).  I just wanted to keep sailing, and I hate sandbox games.

Final Fantasy VI/ III US (SNES)-For me, this is where Final Fantasy peaked.  I know a lot of people disagree, but I like a story where more than one person is important, and no RPG really delivered that quite like FF VI.  It's hard to say if there even was a main character. 

Crazy Taxi (SEGA Dreamcast)-Fun enough to drive around, but what really did it was the kick ass soundtrack.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

KatieSparks

We <3 Katamari

I know it's a weird choice, but I didn't want to pick an obvious one. :p Seriously, I have played this game sooo much. Oddly enough, though, it's the only one of the series I have. I guess I figure it's kind of repetitive, so why bother buying another one when it'll just be the same thing? I love this one anyway. If only I could roll things up into a gigantic ball in real life.. then I'd show my dad who's boss.

Tetrisphere

Awesome, AWESOME game on the N64. Most people have never played it but whenever I mention it to somebody and they have played it they say they loved it too. It was like Tetris. Kind of. You put down pieces on a sphere, and match them to make them explode and uncover more of the sphere until you uncover the whole thing/enough to save a little guy/break off a tower thing/whatever the game mode wants you to do. It's really simple but REALLY fun, and I'm not even usually one to play puzzle games a lot but I've always loved this one.

Ninja Gaiden

The newer one on XBOX, not the original one. Although the original one was fun, too, kind of before my time so I can't appreciate it as much. But the new one.. so sweet. Difficult enough that you have to know the moves and what you're doing, but I never found it so brutally hard that I had to put down the game. Finished the whole thing, and got all the scarabs, and the best part was that you can even unlock the old Ninja Gaiden games in it! The bosses in this game were so great... but it was really fun how you had to focus because most normal enemies could potentially kill you fairly quick if you aren't paying attention. I haven't played the second one, though.

Brandon

I thought of some more, and these are more "retro" games

Lufia: and the fortress of doom & its prequel Lufia: Rise of the sinistrals: My third, possibly second favorite RPG of all time (it ties with final fantasy tactics). Both games have amazing stories and the game play broke the mold with its spellcasting in the prequel and puzzles placed in dungeons (some of them left me as horse as Ninja Gaiden for their difficulty). Even more interesting is I just cant bring myself to count them as two games, playing one without playing the other is like having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the bread.

Dragon warrior 4(NES): This is my Fourth favorite RPG of all time, just below Final fantasy 4, Final fantasy tactics, and Lufia respectivly. Once again, interesting and fun characters who all had their little personality quirks making them seem like real humans.

Breath of fire: Im not sure where this one stands in my RPGs of all time list, somewhere in the teens I think. Ya know what attracted me most to it? I could be a hero that turned into a freaking DRAGON! Not some armored dudes with supernatural powers like in legend of dragoon, not some summoner of dragons like Rydia. I could actually play as a freaking DRAGON! Coupled by an amazing story, interesting characters, and being able to play as a freaking DRAGON! I couldnt ask for more

Bionic Commando(NES): Bionic commando taught us simple child hood lessons like hookshot arms are awesome and all Nazi's should die (You get a cookie if you know who said that). Start to finish it was a wonderful game with, as far as I know, the first swinging mechanic ever (probably why I can never put down ultimate spider man for long). Ever since I played this game I just love games where I can swing around on stuff

Ultimate spider man(PS2):  If I believed in reincarnation then I had to be a monkey in a previous life because my brain is hard wired to enjoy any game with a swinging mechanic and this one has it in spades. For me, Ultimate spider man isnt about beating up bad guys or following a questionable story line its just old fashioned web swinging goodness where I can rocket off, over, between, or by skyscrapers at the speed of a jet. The expansive sandbox style city just makes it better although Im kind of guilty as Ive never actually won the game, I just cant stop swinging around the city when I play it

Jade Empire: A martial arts based fantasy RPG set in psuedo Japan/China and that has a great story? Wait wheres saint peter? Wasnt he supposed to greet me when I got to heaven? :P
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Noelle

Someone mentioned Streets of Rage 2, but I'm gonna lump it together and say Streets of Rage 2 and 3.

First off, what's not to love about a side-scrolling fighter starring the gang of Scooby Doo as jaded 90's teens named after failed American Gladiators?

Yes, let's meet the characters:

We've got Axel, the notoriously handsome Aryan male who is the best at everything ever including Pantene hair and muscles for his muscles, his hot prostitute girlfriend Blaze who has mysteriously become a Judo master while walking the streets and can't adequately practice said martial art unless she's got 82% (that's a scientific measurement) of her cleavage hanging out, and then, of course, Skate. The token black kid. Who is, unsurprisingly, wearing roller blades. The whole time. It doesn't matter that the inclusion of said skates would make it hilariously impossible for the average mortal to kick a sufficient amount of ass in order to take down Mr. X, save the day, blah blah, because the kid seems to have made some kind of martial arts-breakdancing hybrid from his time in the 'hood that makes all of his creepy middle-aged attackers think twice about diddling other innocent 11-year-olds in the future. Besides, he probably has his gat stuffed down his gym shorts along side a bottle of malt liquor and other hilariously bad racial stereotypes...you know, just in case. The kid's kind of a bastard anyway -- if you've played the game, I think you know, and I think you've also probably wondered why he's not in school getting an education. Kids these days.

In Streets of Rage 2, we get Muscly McMeaty, whose name I can't recall, but it doesn't actually matter because he's the prototypical slow oaf whose only real talents in fighting are destroying things with his horrifying, Thor's-Hammer-styled fists of rage. In Streets of Rage 3, we are given Zan, who seems to be David Bowie's geriatric incarnate -- you know, after they slowly replace his body parts with machine parts in order to give him and his disturbing bulge in his pants a shot at immortality. Don't take my word for it. With an arm that also acts like a tazer and more abs than he probably knows what to do with, if I were an innocent 11-year-old boy, I'd probably let him touch me like that, too, and promise not to tell my parents.

Anyway, the storyline is something like -- well, wait...there was a storyline?!

Frankly, I didn't pay attention. Because it really doesn't matter and the dialogue is so trite, the story so unoriginal and cliche that you could probably watch any Die Hard movie to get the gist of what kind of a watered-down John McClane our protagonist hero of the master race Axel is. But what does matter is that Streets of Rage was ahead of its time. You could be young, old, black, female -- there was even a code to unlock so that you can fight as a really bad gay stereotype, not to mention the father of all awesome unlockables -- a round where you assault and eventually kill a clown, beat its pet kangaroo into submission, and then you can fight as it, too! Can you say awesome? But besides that, you don't just go all vigilante justice on the pasty asses of muscly white guys -- your enemies were all kinds! You can beat up fat people, gay people, questionably-gendered female dancers with mohawks wearing offensive amounts of spandex, government agents with guns (so much muscle, YOU DEFLECT BULLETS), dominatrices, i don't know what this is, werewolves, samurais, and SO MUCH MORE. This game not only lacks discrimination against age, sex, race, and sexual orientation, but also does not discriminate against such petty features as species or even mythological status! Amazing.

Best game ever. I rest my case.

Heaven Sent Blossom

I'm pretty sure you made a typo there. I think you typed "Streets of Rage" when you meant to put "Final Fight";-p

Seriously though, Streets of Rage was majestic in how amazing it was. Easily one of the finest examples of the brawler's of its generation.

Inkidu

From what I hear the new Xcom is tactical. From what I read (I'm trying to keep this opinionless as possible) it's more like being a field agent and going out to investigate X-File-esque happenings. The more time you spend in one area the more aliens will be drawn to you, and your standard weapons are ineffective for the most part. So you have to find alien tech and ways to implement it. Time will tell if it delivers.

EDIT: Sorry meant to add this.

Metroid Prime

Metroid's first and awesome debut in 3D is not to be forgotten. The worlds were lush and detailed, the puzzled very intricate and downright tricky. The FPS element was well-done and who wouldn't want to see Samus in all that sexy power-suit glory? It's a game that shows that 2D can transition very well. It added a lot of depth to the Metroid universe previously unseen. Even a few glimpses into Space Pirate life and culture.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 20, 2010, 06:19:07 PM
Come to think of it, I think I have heard about the XCOM one. They're setting it back in the 1950s or something.

Meh, pass. I liked the original, but this is changing all the stuff I like, and unless the finished product is incredible, I won't be playing it.

Well Hairy, considering it's going to be done by the same team behind Bioshock..Expect good things.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 21, 2010, 08:49:47 PM
Well Hairy, considering it's going to be done by the same team behind Bioshock..Expect good things.
I don't know they weren't very outgoing with Bioshock 2... lets hope they know to push the envelope a little more.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paradox

*looks around warily*

Although I don't really play them anymore, I was a gamer for many years. This thread brings back warm, fuzzy memories.

I won't re-describe what others have already posted, but these are definitely on the top of my list:

RE4
for PS2 is the only FPS I've ever really played more than an hour or two of, aside from Goldeneye, so it deserves an honorable mention on the list.

-Legend of Zelda for NES
Like Anna, this hooked me into RPGs. I still remember digging through a box of Corn Pops for a send-away offer to obtain a map of the overworld and poring over it for hours once it came, imagining all of the wonders that lay beyond what I had explored.

-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
This, along with the next three games, stole countless hours of my elementary and middle school years. I tried going back and playing it last year, but it just wasn't the same. Better to let those sacred memories rest intact.

-Super Mario 64
Sheer unmitigated fun.

-Shadows of the Empire 64
I know Will and Karma will back me up on this one. Sheer unmitigated awesome, though to this day, I still resent not being able to destroy that Star Destroyer on the final level.

-Final Fantasy 7
I never actually owned this until a few years ago; in middle school, I simply played it for hours on end at a friend's house. It really moved me to the next level of loving RPGs, having only played Final Fantasy Legend on the black-and-white gameboy before that.

-Baldur's Gate 1 and especially 2
I cannot count the number of times I started the second game and never, ever finished it. To this day, after over a decade of having owned it, and more than 20 protagonists created, I have never finished it. It was a great game, but too damned time consuming. I prefer table-top D&D, but I cannot deny how awesome that game was (granted, I never played Neverwinter Nights).

-Diddy Kong Racing and Super Mario Kart 64
Multiplayer ruled ass on these games when I was growing up.

-Goldeneye 64
Multiplayer ruled even more ass, but in a more serious sort of way, the kind of red-eye, staying up until 4 am sneaking around that temple level with proximity mines, silenced pistils, and rocket launchers kind of ruling ass.

Super Mario 3 and Kirby's Adventure for NES.
I spent a ton of time beating the former, but I had seen a friend do so numerous times already, so nothing beat the thrill of excitement at beating my very first game, which was the latter.

Jade Empire
This one brings back a lot of good memories because the graphics were good, the story was good, and I lost myself in the game when I was in rehab. Positive reinforcement!

Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, Starcraft, and Warcraft II
Aside from C&C, probably the four greatest RTS games I ever played. The humor and graphics in Warcraft II were great, and Starcraft's story and replayability were awesome.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
It's like a combination of Master of Orion and Civilization. The boy in me that once wanted to be an astronaut loved this game.

Guilty pleasure games: Rampage and Rampage 64. Yeah, it's mindless, but damn was it fun.

Oh, I thought of one more FPS I liked- Redneck Rampage for the PC.

I'll put up more when I think of them, but this list is essentially my childhood and adolescent alone time in a nutshell (books notwithstanding).

Edit: Master Blaster for NES. So fucking hard that I never beat it, but damn was it good.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on July 21, 2010, 08:54:49 PM
I don't know they weren't very outgoing with Bioshock 2... lets hope they know to push the envelope a little more.

I personally think there was some executive meddling behind Bioshock 2.

"Oh guys, look how much your game sold! It's really a big hit!...Sequel. NOW."

"But..but the story is finished! D:"

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the cash registers."

And thus Bioshock 2 was born. o3o

Will

Quote from: Paradox on July 21, 2010, 09:05:44 PM
-Shadows of the Empire 64
I know Will and Karma will back me up on this one. Sheer unmitigated awesome, though to this day, I still resent not being able to destroy that Star Destroyer on the final level.

Gah, no kidding.  I don't care how ridiculous it is for a light transport to fight a Star Destroyer, I wanna do it!!  Damn you!

I loved that game so much; I must have played the swoop race out of Mos Eisley a hundred times just for the heck of it.

I also want to cosign on Goldeneye.  I haven't played it in many years, but I still know what weapons spawn where. ::)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Nyarly

Quote from: Wolfy on July 21, 2010, 09:16:57 PM

That's how most sequels come into existence.

Brandon

IMO Bioshock 2 was actually good. Although nowhere near as awesome as the first one which coincidently was a system shock 2 clone. Anyway, yeah I kinda agree with you in the sense that thats how most sequels get made. Once a franchise is made and does ok, even well, the executives want to push it toward its first sell out
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Aiden

Hand held games-

Pokemon- Ya I said it, these games are like crack and every fuckign time there is a new one out...I buy it and play it.
Harvest moon- Enough said
Advanced wars- Tactical war game, so much fun in multiplayer.
Final Fantasy Tactics- I both the PS version and the remake, I have sunk so many hours in this game. I refused to leave galbadia until I had a few mastered classes.

Console games-
Mario 64- This game was just so amazing, I actually played till I got all 120 stars...what up yoshii!
Starfox 64- This game was so much fun in multiplayer, such a good party game.
Mario Party- Party game, super competitive.
Rogue Squadron 64- Such a great game, I rented it so many times I could have bought it twice and eventually did.
Halo- Just cause I liked getting on live with friends and mowing each other down for hours.
Saint Row 2- Great game, better than the GTA series imo...but this following scene, so awesome.
Saints Row 2 - Ronin - Requiem

Pc Games
Diablo 2- Such a fun game, spent so much time playing this when I could.
Starcraft- Another great game
Starcraft 2- not out yet but I know it is going to be great.

Inkidu

Actually no. They wanted to make a sequel using Big Daddy as your main character (awesome). They then promised a lot of things they delivered on (Awesome). The improved a few areas of iffiness from the first (Awesome). Unfortunately, they chickened out halfway through it feels like and Alpha became just a Jack clone with a drill. (Bad.) It was like they suddenly became intimidated by all the things a big daddy could do and said "Whoa!"

I thought the story was fairly on par; they couldn't just do another "Would you kindly" thing and have people salivate like before but when it came to the gameplay. The awesome in-your-face, locomotive that was big daddy kind of wilted and the guys stayed firmly within the formula. That's my problem with it. It's not bad it's just nothing ventured and nothing gained.

Segway!

Bioshock

As an atmospheric shooter nothing holds a candle to it. Detail pours from Andrew Ryan's dystopic utopia by the gallon. It's like Disney's World of Tomorrow gone horribly, horribly wrong and I love it!

KatieSparks

Quote from: Will on July 21, 2010, 09:20:36 PM
Gah, no kidding.  I don't care how ridiculous it is for a light transport to fight a Star Destroyer, I wanna do it!!  Damn you!

I loved that game so much; I must have played the swoop race out of Mos Eisley a hundred times just for the heck of it.

I did that too. Rogue Squadron on 64 was pretty good, but I always reeeally loved the first level of Shadows of the Empire, the Swoop Race, and all the cool bosses.

Wolfy

Quote from: Will on July 21, 2010, 09:20:36 PM

I also want to cosign on Goldeneye.  I haven't played it in many years, but I still know what weapons spawn where. ::)

The Force Unleashed let's you bring down a Star Destroyer with your mind. WITH YOUR MIND. o3o

"You're a Jedi, boy! Size means nothing to you!"

Paradox

Quote from: KatieSparks on July 22, 2010, 08:31:52 PM
I did that too. Rogue Squadron on 64 was pretty good, but I always reeeally loved the first level of Shadows of the Empire, the Swoop Race, and all the cool bosses.

Yeah, that first boss fight against the AT-AT freaked the shit out me for a few days because I kept dying until I realized "Run between its legs and shoot upwards!"

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Wolfy

I have a feeling this September, Halo: Reach will become one of my Favorite games..ever. o3o Along with FFXIV, probably.

If Halo Reach proves to be anything like the Beta..hell yes I'm going to enjoy it immensely.

Anyway..I just realized I haven't listed my favorite games of all time. O_o

Shadow of the Collosus
No More Heroes
Saints Row 2.
Modern Warfare 2
Halo 3
BlazBlue
Final Fantasy (Any of them...with an aversion to 12.)
Pokemon, of course.
Digimon World 2-3
Super Mario World (First game that I ever played...I think..it was either this, or Megaman X)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Phantasy Star (Any of them..except the first one. o3o)

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 23, 2010, 12:57:25 AM
The Force Unleashed let's you bring down a Star Destroyer with your mind. WITH YOUR MIND. o3o

"You're a Jedi, boy! Size means nothing to you!"
Yoda said it first and best (cool Yoda as a name is in Firefox's spellchecker), "Size matters not."

Although the second one has Darth Vadar on Kamino which raises an interesting question. Why if they can clone Jedi are they stuck with Jango Fett and conscription? (I personally think it's a reconstruction not a cloning.)

Super Mario Bros. 3

Raccoon leaf, nuff said.

Will

Don't forget the frog suit!  And the hammer brother suit!  Damn, that was fun.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac