Stellar Aristocracy - Idea for a game

Started by Celestial Goblin, August 15, 2005, 05:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

I'm posting an idea i got, maybe some of you would like to play such a game, maybe even somebody alread got a similar idea. I'm not sure about GM-ing it myself, but if you'll like it than let me know.

In the very far future, possibly in a galaxy far away, countless planets and star systems compete for power, alliances, empires and hegemonies rise and fall, wars are waged on multitued technology levels and finally one powerful faction gains the upper hand on the others.
The new galactic empire, or whatever you call it forces all the petty kingdoms and states to surrender, making them it's vassals. They leave the old goverments when they were, but to ensure cooperation they take high-born hostages. Heirs of noble families, progeny of presidents and senators, kin of those who hold power.
The players assume the roles of those young people, taken from their homeland and placed on a planet that is both a maximum-security prison and a paradise of luxury.
They are to live a life of bliss amidst verdant gardens and crystal towers, but also their every move will be controlled, they will still be prisoners and breaching the boundaries will be dealt with strictly.
Many of these flower-youth are heroic personas, they might yearn to break out no matter the cost, some of them could despise each other because of vendettas and politics of the past.
Different cultures and different views on the world will meet each other.
Both hates and loves are to be born.
But the keepers of this secure paradise won't allow their passions to fullfil, as the dynastical lines are arranged without concern for their feelings.
Accept for idle pleasures, these flower youth spend their time learning.
They learn about the galaxy, practice fencing and martial arts, persue exotic arts and crafts...
It's a life in a golden cage, trying to rebel or make trouble will incur harsh punishment as the citadel is prepared to discipline even a heroic super-human.
Welcome to the crystal citadel, honored guests.

ooc:
Well, we'd have a lot of fun with romances but also with conflicts, it could be a Star-Wars meets big brothers house or a serious drama. What the 'empire' plans to do with the inmates over time would be a mystery to solve. Planning a grand escape is a one option, exploiting the situation to do politics or just have with someone/at his expense is other.
And the punishment for setting foot in the forbidden zone(half of the base) would be a day in stocks, naked:D

Vandren

Could be interesting.  Lots of room to do a little Dune-esque Bene Gesserit-style genetics experiments and whatnot.  Are you planning on only Humans or other species as well?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Lamentation

Were you thinking of useing any game system or just play it ouit?

Celestial Goblin

Choice of a system would be up to the player's liking.
Combat would be very limited as the defence systems would not only prevent escapes but also wouldn't let nobody hurt each other.
There could be more races than just humans, though a tentacle slug or an amoeba would be completely against my original idea.
I'm familiar with the world of Fading Suns, it has all the elements needed.
The world of Star Wars in an alternative time period would also do the trick.
I have the d20 future book and it would suit us too.
Freeform would work too.

strange_divinity

Have a low population, preserved Earth as the exclusive domain of the very rich. Our Earth, plus fifty thousand (or however many) years. So you get that added strangeness of these people going on tours of the Grand Canyon (even if they wouldn't call it that) or the Pyramids (or recreations of same).

Celestial Goblin

Of all locations, yes, why not the earth.
My own vision was something hmm... unearthly.
But it could be a terraformed, enhanced earth.