News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Walking Dead

Started by Kaizen, November 06, 2010, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterMischief

I believe his faults vastly outweigh his usefulness.  I would be willing to overlook his dislike for non-white anglo saxon protestants if he was willing to put the survival of the group ahead of his own prejudices.  Wasting bullets and attempting to exert control over the others were bigger sins once put in context in my opinion.  He is simply (he's not dead yet) a danger to the survival of the others.  It is pretty obvious his only concern is himself.  His skill with a firearm is pretty much made moot at that point.

Ryven

I'm with the Llama on that.  He already displayed that even during a crisis situation (zombie apocalypse making that a rather mild understatement) he would rather play white supremacist than worry about the well being of the group.  He may be a crack shot at a firearm, but if it's one thing you do not do, it is needlessly waste ammo.  The zombies he was targeting were not an immediate threat.  He would have served better being used as bait than anything else.

Izu

Okay, I liked the second episode more than the first one. And yeah, I too thought that they should/would throw the racist off the roof x'D And somehow I can see him coming after them, having eaten his hand off the cuffs, but not being a zombie x'D  Oh, and I loved the Asian guy. <3 Soooo cute at the end of the episode <3

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

AtlasEros

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 11, 2010, 09:25:57 AM
I believe his faults vastly outweigh his usefulness.  I would be willing to overlook his dislike for non-white anglo saxon protestants if he was willing to put the survival of the group ahead of his own prejudices.  Wasting bullets and attempting to exert control over the others were bigger sins once put in context in my opinion.  He is simply (he's not dead yet) a danger to the survival of the others.  It is pretty obvious his only concern is himself.  His skill with a firearm is pretty much made moot at that point.
I didn't really find that character believable.  I could see him wasting the bullets sure but having that outburst just as the copy shows up which allows the copy to go from outcast newcomer to hero was just way too contrived.  I did like how the black guy dropped the key, thought that part was well done.
O/O

Kaizen

Don't forget that he was coked up as well, which would explain some of the aggressive behavior. 

MasterMischief

Quote from: Kaizen on November 11, 2010, 11:52:22 AM
Don't forget that he was coked up as well, which would explain some of the aggressive behavior.

That only reinforces my feelings on the matter.  If he is not normally that aggressive it shows very questionable judgement to allow himself to get into such a posture considering the situation.

Inkidu

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 11, 2010, 02:23:59 PM
That only reinforces my feelings on the matter.  If he is not normally that aggressive it shows very questionable judgement to allow himself to get into such a posture considering the situation.
That's not a really good defense, because lets face it: In the face of a zombie apocalypse some people are going to party like there's no tomorrow.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Ryven

Quote from: Inkidu on November 11, 2010, 02:33:44 PM
That's not a really good defense, because lets face it: In the face of a zombie apocalypse some people are going to party like there's no tomorrow.

And that is their choice.  Those trying to survive, however, do not have to put up with it.  If you're going to be a part of the group, be a productive part.  Don't endanger the rest because you want to have a good time.

midnight diamond

I just watched the first episode on the AMC website, and I have to say that up until the deputy-sheriff ran out of gas, it was good. After that, there were so many predictable mistakes he made that it was just...anticlimactic. I thought that entering Atlanta on horseback and 1, not leaving right away or 2, not ditching the horse and travelling on foot (which is MUCH quieter than the sound of iron horseshoes on pavement) was once again predictable. I also thought that the introduction of the 'survival party' was much too soon. I would have liked to see more of the deputy on his own before the others were introduced.

I don't normally go in for zombie shows, although I liked the Resident Evil movies. From the hype Walking Dead has been getting, I have to say I was severely disappointed in it. I was expecting some new twist on a zombie theme, so to find that it was 'just another zombie show' was a major let-down.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ryven on November 11, 2010, 08:57:14 AM
Did anyone else want to pitch the racist off the roof? >.>

I would have.  I mean, they needed a distraction, right?

I foresee him showing up to make folks regret it later on.

ausyandy

Quote from: Ryven on November 11, 2010, 08:57:14 AM
Did anyone else want to pitch the racist off the roof?

When I first saw him, I was like "oh cool" because I quite like the actor. But then he started talking and I thought "Oh, what a douche" and was disappointed.

Quote from: Izu on November 11, 2010, 10:48:48 AM
  Oh, and I loved the Asian guy. <3 Soooo cute at the end of the episode <3

+1 Totally agree.

Quote from: midnight diamond on November 12, 2010, 01:37:12 AM
I just watched the first episode on the AMC website, and I have to say that up until the deputy-sheriff ran out of gas, it was good. After that, there were so many predictable mistakes he made that it was just...anticlimactic. I thought that entering Atlanta on horseback and 1, not leaving right away or 2, not ditching the horse and travelling on foot (which is MUCH quieter than the sound of iron horseshoes on pavement) was once again predictable. I also thought that the introduction of the 'survival party' was much too soon. I would have liked to see more of the deputy on his own before the others were introduced.

My thoughts exactly. I was shocked that he'd get on a horse, then trot on into a city. What the hell was he thinking.

Ryven

If he did everything perfectly to the letter of the Zombie Survival guide, there wouldn't be much of a show.

midnight diamond

Quote from: Ryven on November 12, 2010, 07:32:53 AM
If he did everything perfectly to the letter of the Zombie Survival guide, there wouldn't be much of a show.

This is true....but do his mistakes have to be so glaringly obvious? He may as well have started shouting in the middle of the street calling for survivors. Something a little more imaginative would have been nice.

Ryven

Quote from: midnight diamond on November 12, 2010, 12:11:42 PM
This is true....but do his mistakes have to be so glaringly obvious? He may as well have started shouting in the middle of the street calling for survivors. Something a little more imaginative would have been nice.

That really depends.  It seems like they're portraying a setting where the prevalence of zombies is not well known.  In the real world, zombies have been in pop culture enough to let almost anyone know the cardinal rules when dealing with them.

If in this world, it looks as if zombies have hardly been mentioned at all, so it's a little more understandable that he didn't have much of a clue of what he was getting into.  Plus, it was never mentioned how wide spread the zombies were though he should have had a clue from the deserted streets upon walking into Atlanta.

They did make a point of mentioning the way that zombies perceive which leads me to believe they didn't have much of a clue about them until the outbreak hit.  It might just be me, but I can overlook some of the mistakes given the other information they've shown.

Kaizen

For some reason I'm thinking the outbreak is isolated to Atlanta (or maybe the southeastern US) in the current storyline.  It would make sense to keep some cities populated for later seasons to develop. 

I would like to see a National Guard vs. Zombies battle...

Ryven

Quote from: Kaizen on November 12, 2010, 12:33:38 PM
For some reason I'm thinking the outbreak is isolated to Atlanta (or maybe the southeastern US) in the current storyline.  It would make sense to keep some cities populated for later seasons to develop. 

I would like to see a National Guard vs. Zombies battle...

Hmm, that's a very good point. 

MasterMischief

Actually, I thought a horse was an excellent choice.  Finding gas will become increasingly difficult.  Care and feeding of a horse may be more demanding than a car, but far more sustainable in a post-apocalyptic environment.  A horse also works well as a second pair of eyes.  Not necessarily, literal eyes, their hearing and sense of smell are better than a human's and could alert you to danger before you see it. 

Also, if he encountered trouble, as he did, it would be (in theory) easier to outrun on horseback than foot.  The angles they used did not satisfy my curiosity on how he got so easily surrounded.  At first sign of a large group of zombies, I would have turned tail and run...er...galloped off.  But then, as mentioned above, if the characters always did the smart thing, there would not be much of a show.

I was sad to see the horse get chomped.  Even then, its sacrificed allowed the deputy-sherrif to escape.  At worst, I think he should have tried to put something over the horseshoes to muffle the noise.  Beyond that, I think the horse was a much better option than a car or going in on foot.

Jag

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 12, 2010, 12:48:54 PM
Actually, I thought a horse was an excellent choice.  Finding gas will become increasingly difficult.  Care and feeding of a horse may be more demanding than a car, but far more sustainable in a post-apocalyptic environment.  A horse also works well as a second pair of eyes.  Not necessarily, literal eyes, their hearing and sense of smell are better than a human's and could alert you to danger before you see it. 

Also, if he encountered trouble, as he did, it would be (in theory) easier to outrun on horseback than foot.  The angles they used did not satisfy my curiosity on how he got so easily surrounded.  At first sign of a large group of zombies, I would have turned tail and run...er...galloped off.  But then, as mentioned above, if the characters always did the smart thing, there would not be much of a show.

I was sad to see the horse get chomped.  Even then, its sacrificed allowed the deputy-sherrif to escape.  At worst, I think he should have tried to put something over the horseshoes to muffle the noise.  Beyond that, I think the horse was a much better option than a car or going in on foot.

I agree. He ran out of gas and needed something to help him carry his supplies and get him through the last length of his trip as quickly as possible. The horse was there. What did people expect him to ride into the city with? A bike?
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Inkidu

Actually I like seeing them make mistakes. Not everyone is going to have there copy of The Zombie Survival Guide memorized. Your average person is going to walk into a city, they're going to ride an animal which would freak at the stench of the necrotic, or they're going to miss a shot (Something no one in the Walking Dead has done yet. Seriously, no on screen misses at all.) if everyone was a perfect zombie slayer the show would be boring.

(On an barely related note, I've found self-contradicting passages in The Zombie Survival Guide and hate how everyone turns to it for anything.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 12, 2010, 12:48:54 PM

Like the guy and his kid going back to the house rather than staying at the more defensible police station or going up the road to find something like an old national guard armory?

Bentley

I like the show. I'm not bothered too much by the inconsistencies or way the story is unfolding.

A lot of good The Zombie Survival Guide did me. I read it months ago and the most I remember are some odd bits from the chapter about muffling zombie noises.

Kaizen

Quote from: Inkidu on November 12, 2010, 07:07:14 PM
they're going to miss a shot (Something no one in the Walking Dead has done yet. Seriously, no on screen misses at all.)

I noticed that too.

Ryven

World War Z is probably better for learning about how to deal in a zombie apocalypse situation. :P  It describes various (fictional) situations that people were in and how they dealt with them.  I remember a good amount from it.  A pretty entertaining book, and it's written by the same guy who wrote the survival guide.

Inkidu

I think the problem with the show is they're kind of smoothing over all those bits about zombies and making it a show about human struggle and differences in face of disaster. Forget that. I want more zombies.

It's like why I couldn't watch Battlestar Galactica (the new one) the people even admit to it (in both series) that it's not about the zombies/sci-fi it's about the struggles/politics of people. Sometimes we just want to see someone get eaten by a zombie or fly a space ship...

Ryven

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2010, 05:37:51 PM
I think the problem with the show is they're kind of smoothing over all those bits about zombies and making it a show about human struggle and differences in face of disaster. Forget that. I want more zombies.

It's like why I couldn't watch Battlestar Galactica (the new one) the people even admit to it (in both series) that it's not about the zombies/sci-fi it's about the struggles/politics of people. Sometimes we just want to see someone get eaten by a zombie or fly a space ship...

It's only up to episode 2.  I'm sure someone is going to get eaten at some point.