News:

Main Menu

Final Fantasy

Started by AndyZ, July 02, 2012, 09:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverfyre

I was just teasing.

Yes, play VI if you get the chance.  It is well worth it. 

Will

Aeris' death is pretty much iconic at this point; that's the difference, in my eyes.  It's a part of popular video game culture.  It's not just a surprising turn of events in some random game, it's a defining moment of a defining installment of a defining series of games.  I mean, seriously.  It's not my favorite FF, but VII was probably more popular over a wider market than any other installment before or since.  That's why the plot is so well known at this point.  VII was huge.  Ffs, I traded in my N64 and bought a Playstation just to play it. :P

There's no such iconic moment in VI, even though I think it's a better game.  The difference is that VI was never as popular as VII at its height, so the story never wormed its way into the public consciousness the same way.

Tl;dr - Not all spoilers are created equal.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Silverfyre

Er, I can think of two or three "iconic moments" that might not be as ingrained in the popular geek culture but were just as potent for me from VI.  I think it was a far better story than VII too, but again, just my opinion. :)

Will

Well, like I said, I do prefer VI myself.  In pretty much every way, haha.  I mean iconic in the sense of being well-known, widely discussed, and referred to.  VII was more popular; therefore, avoiding spoilers for it is going to be a little (or a lot) more difficult (or impossible, really).

But, uh.. yeah.  Definitely give VI a shot!  The sooner you play it, the sooner you don't have to worry about spoilers! :D

- Jack Kerouac

Silverfyre

Oh, I get what you are saying!  I just wish VI was more popular than VII since it is a vastly superior game in my opinion.  Fantastic characters and come on, best villain ever.

Wolfy

Quote from: Revenent on July 03, 2012, 01:20:13 PM
Hey, anyone else remember Versus XIII and Agito XIII? You know, those two spin-offs that were announced about four decades ago?

Agito XIII is on Hiatus indefinetly, as far as I know.

And Versus XIII is now Final Fantasy XV.

So...I dunno, I think they're dropping the connection to Final Fantasy XIII....

and if they aren't, this will be the first time in the series that an actual numbered entry is connected to a former numbered Entry, rather than something like XIII-2 or X-2.

Will

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 03, 2012, 05:37:26 PM
Oh, I get what you are saying!  I just wish VI was more popular than VII since it is a vastly superior game in my opinion.  Fantastic characters and come on, best villain ever.

Agreed!  I even kinda prefer the graphics of VI, honestly.  It was pretty much the pinnacle of the 2D games in every way, including graphics.  It was really pretty.  But VII was the absolute beginning of 3D Final Fantasy, and it shows.  It's very blocky. : /  I would say VII is more dated at this point than VI, for that reason.

- Jack Kerouac

Fenrir

Wants and Won'ts --  (updated 02/20)  |  Ideas and Inventions (open!)
Current CreationsApologies and Absences  -- (updated 04/26)

Silverfyre

They could have stopped at 16 bits graphics and I'd have been happy.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on July 03, 2012, 05:40:39 PM
And Versus XIII is now Final Fantasy XV.
That's bunk. It was rumor and Word of God said that wasn't happening.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Quote from: Will on July 03, 2012, 05:17:51 PM
There's no such iconic moment in VI, even though I think it's a better game.  The difference is that VI was never as popular as VII at its height, so the story never wormed its way into the public consciousness the same way.

[noembed]I can think of one and I haven't even played VI.[/noembed]

It isn't a "spoiler" moment, though. Just one that comes up a lot when FF is being discussed.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Florence

Quote from: Shjade on July 03, 2012, 09:20:29 PM

It isn't a "spoiler" moment, though. Just one that comes up a lot when FF is being discussed.

Hell, what about the opening of VI?

SNES Final Fantasy VI - Intro
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Will

Quote from: Shjade on July 03, 2012, 09:20:29 PM

I would say the opening is a better example.  But neither of those scenes is discussed or referred to anywhere near as frequently as the Aeris-kebab.

- Jack Kerouac

SinXAzgard21

It is because visually the Sepiroth's back stab is visually better for a lot of people.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Eislynn

I think the scrolling snowfield from 6 is more recognizable than one would think. When I attended the Distant Worlds Concert and they closed out the concert with Terra's theme, they had the orchestral credits scrolling up on that snowfield... A great big "OOH!" rose out of the crowd - Many people do recognize it - but a subtler scene like that will have a subtler appreciation I think.

On a side note... The only better part of that concert for me was listening to the entire Maria and Draco Opera Suite live whilst wearing my Celes Chere opera gown that I made, and sitting next to my husband dressed as a suit-wearing Locke.

*Stars and hearts in eyes.* SO ROMANTIC!

Inkidu

If we're talking the best thematic opening in the Final Fantasy series give it up for VIII. :)

Nothing comes close.

Silverfyre

I will give that VIII had a brilliant opener but I still think VI's opener is classic.

Eislynn

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 04, 2012, 09:22:45 AM
I will give that VIII had a brilliant opener but I still think VI's opener is classic.

Agreed on both counts... There's just something about that music and that Snowfield. It sends shivers down one's spine. Do I remember hearing about Nobuo saying in an interview that he considers the soundtrack to FFVI his favorite? I can't remember for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least - I mean, that OPERA is amazing!

Also, while we're geeking out about the Pre-7 era... I wanted to share a couple of snapshots of my costume rack!

Silverfyre

Wow, that's some fantastic costuming! Thank you for sharing!

Shjade

Quote from: Katida desu on July 04, 2012, 05:25:53 AM
I think the scrolling snowfield from 6 is more recognizable than one would think. When I attended the Distant Worlds Concert and they closed out the concert with Terra's theme, they had the orchestral credits scrolling up on that snowfield... A great big "OOH!" rose out of the crowd - Many people do recognize it - but a subtler scene like that will have a subtler appreciation I think.

Being unfamiliar with this bit myself, felt compelled to look it up.

Terra's Theme - Distant Worlds Chicago
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Katida desu on July 04, 2012, 09:42:14 AM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Agreed on both counts... There's just something about that music and that Snowfield. It sends shivers down one's spine. Do I remember hearing about Nobuo saying in an interview that he considers the soundtrack to FFVI his favorite? I can't remember for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least - I mean, that OPERA is amazing!

Also, while we're geeking out about the Pre-7 era... I wanted to share a couple of snapshots of my costume rack!

VI is probably Uematsu's most impressive overall score technically and in scope, though all his work is good. Even X has its moments.

However, I have most attachment to IV's soundtrack. Theme of Love is actually a school staple in Japan. :)

Silverfyre

Heh, the wife and I walked down the aisle to a instrumental version of IX's "Melodies of Life".

Shjade

Quote from: Silverfyre on July 04, 2012, 12:12:49 PM
Heh, the wife and I walked down the aisle to a instrumental version of IX's "Melodies of Life".

Nnnneeeeeeeerds!
◕/◕'s