Privateers: The Border Worlds

Started by Rune, September 02, 2010, 06:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rune

Privateers: The Border Worlds

On the edge of Imperial space is a wide swath of independent planets known as the Border Worlds. Uniting as the Independent Alliance of Planets (IAP) these worlds defy the attempts to conquer them by both the expansionist Empire and threats from beyond.

In addition to their fleet of starships, the IAP has recruited independent ships in order to dissuade incursions from the neighboring empire. These privateers work in the shadows of law enforcement and diplomatic propriety. They are pirates, but they work for the Alliance. They carry a letter of Marque that allows them to plunder Imperial ships and take Imperial slaves. You are one of these Privateers. You have the freedom of your own ship. You are free to take on missions that the more official forces cannot.

The Imperial Fleet is not the only threat that these worlds face. Criminal organizations seek to take over the region. Alien menaces threaten the safety of the free worlds. Slavers and pirates will wish to take what you have rightfully plundered.

Are you ready to blast a way to your own destiny?

orderNchaos

Sounds like fun!  Is this going to be a single ship or a small fleet or what?  I have a couple of good character concepts in mind. 

Vandren

Adding to Kaizen's questions:

Human only, or are there aliens as well?
Is tech pretty much open, or are there tech things/limits you have in mind?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

MajorTeroh

Well, seeing as how this is filling up quick, I will put in my mark for interest and wait for some of these questions to be answered too.
Major T's O/O
Look in my O/O's for a couple general plot cravings.

Polymorph

I'm interested.

Is this one character per player?
Is everyone the crew of one ship?

Starlequin

I'd like to join this as well, if there's still room.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Rune

Excellent!

I like questions! It shows that people are interested.

I was thinking we could start off with one ship, with each player taking one crew member of that ship. If there is enough interest, we can always branch out with other ships as well.

The setting is sorta of original with lots of stuff taken from other sources. For example, the Imperium is based off the Third Imperium of Traveller. The Privateers are loosely taken from the independent ships of Firefly. The Alliance is loosely based off the Rebel alliance from Star Wars. The technology is more along the lines of Traveller or 'The Lost Fleet' book series as apposed to something like starwars or star trek. No teleportations, Faster-than light travel relies upon a series of Jump points, etc.

That said, if you wish to create your own alliances and factions, then I would be open to your ideas. I would like to make this a game we can all have a hand in creating.

As far as character races, I like well thought out character races. However, they need to be more than simply a human in a funny costume or with nifty super powers. They should have something about their thought process which truly sets them apart from human. Personally I like the Aslan from Traveller, the Weren and several others from Alternity. Just remember to keep them... alien.

Rune

As an example, here are some races that I have considered for this setting.

Races (Human, Artificial and Alien)

With the infinite possibilities the universe has to offer, it was only a matter of time before humanity encountered other sentient races as he expanded beyond the stars. Some of these races were of his own creation, others were truly alien. This is a listing of some of the known sentient races in the galaxy. It is not a complete list and encounters with other races are possible.

Human

Humans are the most prolific race in this part of the galaxy. They can be found in all walks of life, excelling in almost all professions.

Gideons

Genetically engineered clone soldiers from the Border Wars. Gideons are physically superior to most humans. They are known to have social issues and are prone to mental instability. Most Gideons have been rounded up  and confinded to military installations, however many still remain at large. It is a criminal offense to create 'Gideon' clones.

Clones

Clones are the working class of the galaxy. Some clones are created to work in hazardous environments; others are created for use in more recreational activities. Legally, on most civilized worlds, clones are afforded the rights of full citizens. However on many worlds, especially on the fringes of civilization, clones are regarded as property.

Artificial Intelligence

After the devastation caused by the Shadow Fleet, the use of AI systems has been outlawed. Considered too vulnerable to the Shadow Virus, most AI systems have been deactivated. A few prewar AI systems still are active, but these systems are limited to androids and robots and are completely isolated from linking with potentially infected data sources.

Uploaded Intelligence

With the technological advances in cloning and artificial lifeforms, it is now possible to upload a copy of an existing brain pattern into a receptive artificial body. The cost of the equipment is prohibitive so only the very rich and the heads of state can make use of this technology. The rights of uploaded intelligences vary according to planetary laws, but tend to follow the same guidelines as clones and AIs.

Gorlons

Gorlons are a reptilian race. Although they are originally from a low technology world, they have spread across the galaxy finding opportunity as mercenaries and hired guns. They are known to be extremely fast, touch skinned and fearless in combat situations. Their renowned fearlessness is also their greatest weakness as they never retreat and never surrender.

Skilled soldiers, the Gorlon society is military in nature. They have been slowly yet mercilessly expanding the borders of their influence, conquering and dominating worlds in a steady expansion of their territory. They are firm believers in the axiom of ‘Might makes Right’.

Elim

The Elim are a peaceful and intellectual race. Standing less than five feet in height, these grey-skinned beings are not physically intimidating. They are excellent scientists. Despite their innate pacifist nature, when driven to violence the Elim are perhaps the most dangerous race in the known galaxy. They are extremely logical and can plan out event months in advance. When they set their mind to accomplishing a task, their entire being is dedicated to its completion.

NPC Races

The Shadows

The Shadows began as a computer virus. Infecting AI systems across the galaxy, the Shadow remained undetected for years. When it was triggered, the Shadow took control of every AI system it had infected and turned them against humanity. Robots, andriods. ship's computers, even planetary control systems were all turned against their creators.

In the war that followed, billions died. Somewhere, in the depths of space, the Shadow still survives on rogue ships that have been taken over by their AI systems. Spacers whisper that the infected robots are busy building a new fleet, getting ready to resume their war.

The Aphix

The Aphix are regarded as a force of nature. This race is vaguely insectlike in nature. Descending upon planets like a swarm of locusts, they leave only ruin and devastation in their wake. Very little is known about the life cycle and social structure of these creatures. What is known is that if they are detected headed toward a civilized planet, the best course of action is worldwide evacuation.

Donarri (aka the Dark Reavers)

Taller and thinner than most humans, the Donarri posses a otherworldly grace and beauty. Despite their beauty, they are a cold, merciless race that has no compassion or concern about any other being.

As a race, the Donarri have existed long before the other civilized species. Technologically superior, they have mastered warp technology. It has been determined that all Donarri ships are linked internally by a series of warp gates, meaning that one could theoretically walk from one ship directly to another, even if they were on opposite sides of the galaxy. It is fortunate that the Donarri are not a race of conquerors or they would have been able to enslave the entire galaxy.

Instead of conqueroring worlds, the Donarri are raiders. They take what they need without asking or negotiating. If someone encounters a Donarri vessel in the depths of space, make no effort to contact them. Flee the area as quicly as possible and pray that they have no interest in you.

Ironwolf85

I gotta play an AI or UI at some point
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Rune

Rune

So far I really like the characters submitted. Do we want to make this game freeform or system based?

Vandren

Seems a little late to become system, IMHO.  Since systems haven't been mentioned yet, I think the assumption's been freeform.  But, I'll hold off on producing more with my character idea until that's decided (especially if things go system and it's one I'm not "into").
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Rune

We will go freeform for now. But I may create the characters stats behind the scenes just in case there is ever a need of GM adjudication for any attempted actions.

Ironwolf85

that's good in case we turn on each other or somthing
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Vandren

Should have a character up this evening.

orderNchaos

Looking for a couple of Privateers to help energize the RP.  Interesting ideas or plot lines welcome!

Ironwolf85

yep we got a few empty slots and feel free to sign up

JadeCore

I'd be interested though I'd need to know a little more about the storyline and cast.

Question Mark

Quote from: JadeCore on October 11, 2010, 11:57:57 PM
I'd be interested though I'd need to know a little more about the storyline and cast.

Ditto.

orderNchaos

Here's the story thread...
It's kind of a work in progress...but think of a Firefly type universe but long before the battle of serenity valley.  With a lot more possibilities.  Best I can give you!  ehehehe

Ironwolf85

at the moment we're a crew of privateers, funded by the alliance to raid Imperial shipping lanes... we're legal pirates.
I play Nova, an AI that is the crew's doctor, and also the resident net diver or wirehead. the other AI is Alice who is a younger AI and therefore just now "Warming up" to someone.

Rune

Looking to give this game a good kick in the pants.

I look as it as Firefly meets Gor.

We need crew, prisoners and rivals!

Rune

I appears that most of our crew has mutinied.

We are looking for new recruits.

Ironwolf85

sorry I fell out for a while and I'm trying to find a way back on when I can

Ashes

Sounds interesting, which characters in the ooc and character thread are still going? I don't want to create a character for a niche role on the ship if it's already covered :-)