DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Only if we normally qualify for it...so we can't, for example, take an Epic Feat that requires us to be epic-level, since we aren't actually epic-level?

Okay, so we'll be using the pricing guide on page 285 of the DMG to boost the number of charges in a day?

EDIT: I used the pricing guide in the DMG to calculate the cost of a NORMAL Belt of Battle - 3rd Spell Level (Haste) * 9th Caster Level * 2000 gp (Use-activated or Continuous), divided by 5/3rds (5 divided by the number of charges, 3).  Cost result?  32,400 GP.  Over twice what's listed in the MiC.

Side matter - one of the feats I have rolling around is the Arcane Strike feat from CW; but I'm also planning on PrCing into Abjurant Champion from CM.  The PrC gets a class feature - Arcane Boost.  Both the class feature and the feat let you expend a spell slot (in the case of a Sorcerer) in order to boost the damage/attack bonus (both in the case of the feat, one in the case of the class feature) of a given attack.  Can I stack these two abilities together?

Also, Paragon creatures get a +13 bonus to any special attacks.  Would Arcane Strike OR Arcane Boost qualify, and if they do, where can I spend the +13 bonus?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, the epic feat limits is mostly spellcasting related (need have maxed out spell slots pre-epic) or skill ranks needed.

Anycase on belt of battle; count the price total for 5 charges and then halve it (so it comes close to 5 charge belt of battle from mic). The Arcane Strike and class feature can stack yes (as they give different bonuses; I recall abjurant champion gave flat bonus to hit and dmg where as arcane strike gave extra dice to roll for dmg). The both class feature and feat itself count as special attacks and thus +13 insight bonus can apply.

The +13 insight bonus can apply to number of dice you roll with arcane strike (does not multiply it but add +13 more dice even when using 1st level slot) and with class feature one decide between +13 more hit or dmg is boosted (or plain duration of the buff).

ReijiTabibito

Yeah.  There are a couple that I qualify for that I'm looking over, but I think I crossed 90% of the Epics off simply because I don't have 9th level spells or the necessary skill ranks.

Wait.  Back up, say again on the Belt of Battle.  Didn't quite follow you, there.  (Also, is it just too late to say I'll buy two BoBs and just pay an extra 50% on the second one?)

According to the descriptions for both feat and class feature.  Arcane Strike (the feat) grants a bonus on both to-hit and damage rolls, whereas with Arcane Boost, you can pick from either to-hit OR damage.  Lemme...a minute.

Class Feature
Arcane Boost  (Su): Beginning at 4th level, you gain  the
ability to burn arcane energy to empower your martial abili-
ties. As a swift action, you can spend one of your uncast spells
or spell slots to grant  yourself one of the following  insight
bonuses for  1 round.
•  Bonus on attack rolls equal to the spell's level.
•  Bonus on weapon  damage  rolls equal to twice the  spell's
level.
•  Bonus to AC equal to the spell's level.
•  Bonus on saving throws equal to the spell's level.
•  Resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic equal to
5 x the spell's level.

Feat
Arcane Strike

Type: General
Source: Compete Warrior

You can channel arcane energy into your melee attacks.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: When you activate this feat (a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity), you can channel arcane energy into a melee weapon, your unarmed strike, or natural weapons. You must sacrifice one of your spells for the day (of 1st level or higher) to do this, but you gain a bonus on all your attack tolls for 1 round equal to the level of the spell sacrificed, as well as extra damage equal to 1d4 points x the level of the spell sacrificed. The bonus you add to your attack rolls from this feat cannot be greater than your base attack bonus.
For example, Yarren the bladesinger has a base attack bonus of +11 and the ability to cast 4th-level arcane spells. On his turn, he chooses to sacrifice one of his 4th-level spells for the day, marking it off as if he had cast it. Until his next turn, Yarren gains an extra +4 bonus on his attack rolls and an extra 4d4 points of damage with a single melee weapon of his choice (his rapier).

Zaer Darkwail

I meant that when you calculated belt of battle with DMG formula and got 'twice as much' compared to MIC pricing, my advice was use same formula to get 5 charge belt and then half the price. So that way we get closely correct pricing on belt of battle with 5 charges.

Okay, my bad as I forgot exact details on arcane boost and arcane strike. The +13 insight bonus can be increase to either duration of the buff or bonus provided for arcane boost. Arcane Strike you have to choose between adding to hit or increase dmg dice.

ReijiTabibito

Okay, so...just to re-run the math again.

3rd Level Spell x CL 9th x 2000 x (5/5 charges per day) = 54,000 GP.  Halve that to get 27,000 GP.  So a Belt of Battle with 5 charges instead of 3 would cost 27,000 opposed to the 12,000 for a normal Belt of Battle?

Okay.  So for Arcane Boost, you can either make the buff last for 14 rounds (since normally, the buff only lasts 1 round), or the bonus is increased by the Spell Level + 13?  To use an example.  I decide to burn a 3rd level Spell using Arcane Boost, and decide to grant myself a bonus to damage rolls.  Normally, I would get a +6 damage bonus (since the spell level is 3rd and you double that for damage).  But since the spell level is effectively 16 (3rd SL + 13 bonus), I would get a +32, instead?

ReijiTabibito

Sweet.  Though I think this formula breaks down for certain items.  The Goggles of Lifesight, for instance.  Deathwatch (the spell used to make them) is a 1st level spell, and the CL of the Goggles is 9th.  The item requires a Standard (command) action to activate, which is an 1800 GP multiplier...divide by 5/3rds (5 divided by 3 charges per day), and then halved again gets me...4,860 GP, which is nearly double the MIC listed price of 2000GP.

Though, I might be using something wrong from the table in the DMG.

Jefepato

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 29, 2016, 01:23:27 PM
Only houserule on epic feat gain is that you qualify for it, otherwise you can spend paragon bonus feat for non-epic feats as well but only through paragon bonus feat you can start off with epic feat before reaching epic levels.
It seems like most of the epic feats have prerequisites that can't be met at our current level anyway.  (Like 24+ ranks in a skill, or access to 9th-level spells, etc.)  Which is a shame, because Bonus Domain would be really good for a mystic.

I suspect my character is going to be one of the weaker PCs running around, but at least the wish thing never goes out of style.  Speaking of which, Zaer, I'm not really sure how to interpret the efreeti's ability to 1/day, grant up to three wishes "to nongenies only."  Since it's only a 1/day ability, does that mean that all three wishes in a given day must be granted simultaneously, and/or all to the same person?

Zaer Darkwail

The three wishes must go to same person (and as ruling to my games usually) only once per year to said person overall (so you cannot get 3 wishes from one genie, summon another and bully it give again 3 wishes). So once per year you could summon genie and get three wishes (if you manage blackmail or bully or so on overall).

ReijiTabibito

Zaer?  Can you doublecheck me on the math I did for the Lifesight Goggles?  I can't but help feel that somehow I goofed things up somewhere, as they're supposed to be 2000GP, not 4800.  Also, I did the math for the Goggles of Foefinding, and...yeah, they're a bit off, too.

Jefepato

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 01, 2016, 12:49:36 AM
The three wishes must go to same person (and as ruling to my games usually) only once per year to said person overall (so you cannot get 3 wishes from one genie, summon another and bully it give again 3 wishes). So once per year you could summon genie and get three wishes (if you manage blackmail or bully or so on overall).
Well, I'm not too worried about that part since my character is the genie in this case.  So the once-per-year requirement isn't that painful, although it does prevent me from teaming up with another PC and getting them to make the wishes I want all the time.

Just to check, though, is it acceptable to convince a nongenie to make wishes that are really for the genie's benefit?  In other words, can he walk up to someone and say "Hey, human, if you wish for (whatever) for me, I'll grant two wishes for you as well" or something?

Also, assuming the genie is acting of its own free will and not blackmailed or forced somehow, it's entirely the genie's choice whether or not to grant the wishes once he hears what they are, correct?  (Now I'm imagining a long, drawn-out conversation where an exasperated genie is stuck coaching some poor bastard into wording his wish properly.)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 01, 2016, 12:52:47 AM
Zaer?  Can you doublecheck me on the math I did for the Lifesight Goggles?  I can't but help feel that somehow I goofed things up somewhere, as they're supposed to be 2000GP, not 4800.  Also, I did the math for the Goggles of Foefinding, and...yeah, they're a bit off, too.

MIC pricing is off for all items so far as I know. MIC gives generous discount for many of the items in them. So even if pricing is off the only way to upragde said items (more charges per day etc) we need formula and we use the DMG one, albeit we halve the final cost to half like in belt's case (and likely works on all items which have 3 or less charges and want customize them to 5 charges per day).

Quote from: Jefepato on March 01, 2016, 01:08:29 AM
Just to check, though, is it acceptable to convince a nongenie to make wishes that are really for the genie's benefit?  In other words, can he walk up to someone and say "Hey, human, if you wish for (whatever) for me, I'll grant two wishes for you as well" or something?

Also, assuming the genie is acting of its own free will and not blackmailed or forced somehow, it's entirely the genie's choice whether or not to grant the wishes once he hears what they are, correct?  (Now I'm imagining a long, drawn-out conversation where an exasperated genie is stuck coaching some poor bastard into wording his wish properly.)

It is accetable for genie make deals like 'yo mortal! Wish one thing for my benefit and I grant you two wishes for anything you want. Good deal yeah?' Only expections are genies in bottle or by geas (or planar binding) to grant wishes only those who meet critteria for them (pass a test, rub the lamp etc).

But otherwise, you can grant wishes as you like them as a genie. You can hand them out to free for people or even sell them (give me 100,000 gold and I grant you a wish).

ReijiTabibito

The pricing is probably off because the item doesn't precisely duplicate the effects of the spell.  For instance, the Goggles of Foefinding use the Clairaudience/Clairvoyance spell in order to be created, but all it does is negate the AC bonus an enemy gets for cover less than total.  Reading the spell description tells you it does a lot more than that!

That said, I did go through some items and can tell you that items that don't rely on skills are accurate.  For example, the Crystal Mask of Detection grants a +10 competence bonus on Search checks.  A check of the DMG guide shows that the cost of an item that grants such bonuses costs the bonus squared, times 100 GP.  So (10 x 10) x 100 = 10,000GP...

...which is the exact price of the Crystal Mask.  So, if the item sticks to the guidelines, then it probably works out correctly.  It's when the item gets away from that that we run into problems.  Though, I wonder...I'm gonna go look into something.  I wonder if the reason the formulas are off is because of the Caster Level.  BRB.

EDIT: Back.  I think the issue with the MIC items that fall under the DMG formula that uses a spell effect as the setup is that I used the CL of the actual item, not of the minimum level used to cast the SPELL.  To use the Belt of Battle as an example - Haste, the spell needed for it, is a 3rd level spell.  Normally, to use it, you need to be a 6th level caster.  The noted CL on the Belt's entry, however, is CL9.  Not 6.  Recomputing the results, the formula spits out a price of 11,000 GP (that's after the halving you told me to do, GM), which is a little under the normal price of 12,000, but seeing as how the item gives two different abilities (+2 bonus on Initiative checks in addition to the charges) and the flexibility to use the charges as you like, I can see paying that extra 1k easily.

Jefepato

100,000 gp is probably too expensive for a wish (unless someone is really desperate), since wishes don't seem to be able to create more than 25,000 gp worth of value without risking disaster.  But I guess someone might desperate enough to pay too much for a wish.

Speaking of which; the options for wish include "create a nonmagical item of up to 25,000 gp in value" and "create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item."  These are separate bullet points, but is it fair to assume the 25,000 gp limit also applies to creating or improving a magic item?  Could 2-3 wishes made in a row be used to make an item whose base cost is more than 25,000 gp, or should each wish be treated as a discrete step in the process that has to result in a "complete" item?

I'm not actually planning to abuse this very much -- I expect my character to, if anything, use his wish-granting at least as much for whimsical, benevolent, or outright petty stuff as for anything important.  (Unless things really get ugly, of course.)

Back on the topic of the +13 insight for special attacks: what about martial maneuvers that normally deal extra dice of damage?  Could it add +13d6 to the damage of something like finishing move or mountain hammer?

Also, for the SR granted by the paragon template, what counts as the base creature's CR?  Should my SR just be based on whatever a half-elemental efreeti's CR would normally be (10) + 25, or do I use my character level instead (i.e. 13 + 25)?

Zaer Darkwail

ReijiTabibito: Aha, so that way you get correct pricing. Use the spell's minimum level needed to cast it, count for 5 charges and then halve it and add +1K to the price to cover +2 initiative score/freely use of charges.

Jefepato: You can use all 3 wishes to wish firstly basic magic item and then upragde power of said item twice in row, but it takes three different wording of a wish (so action wise it's still a wish but I allow stacking it up to get item worth of 75,000gp example). What comes to maneuvers damage dice, you can add +13 bonus to damage dice of a maneuver. But overall I find it more useful (and easier) to add +13 insight either to all maneuvers attack rolls or dmg (and dmg part can be either flat bonus or number of dice if maneuver gives multiple dices already). Also you can add +13 insight bonus to iniator level (and thus able pick higher maneuvers even low levels while char creation and some maneuvers use iniator levels calculate things).

In CR situation to calculate things legendary monsters are treated in 13th level to have SR 56 (so in short CR 34).

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 01, 2016, 02:38:58 AM
ReijiTabibito: Aha, so that way you get correct pricing. Use the spell's minimum level needed to cast it, count for 5 charges and then halve it and add +1K to the price to cover +2 initiative score/freely use of charges.

Yeah.  So wherever in the DMC it says Caster Level, it's the required CL to have the spell, NOT the CL of the item in general.

Though it still breaks down for some items.  Running the formula for the Goggles of Lifesight, for example, gives you a cost of 540 GP compared to the 2000 it actually costs, but I think that's because Deathwatch - the spell required to make the Goggles - is a 1st level spell, so both the spell level and the caster level are 1.  If you give it a CL of 3, though (since you need to be a 3rd level caster to use feats like Craft Wondrous Item), then the formula works out within a couple hundred GP.

If I was in the driver's seat, that'd be my ruling - use the minimum CL needed to cast the spell, down to CL 3.

That said, do you want me to update the cost of the custom Belt to that price?

Zaer Darkwail

Update custom belt for that pricing as it makes most sense atm.

ReijiTabibito

So noted.

Also, because I quick-saw Jef asking about it - for ToB classes, your +13 can be added to one of three things: your overall initiator level for picking up maneuvers; the damage code (whether flat points or dice); or attack bonus.  Got that framed correctly?

So, as example, My Swordsage counts as a level 11-12 initiator = 10 levels of Swordsage plus 3 levels of Paladin = 10 + (3 * 1/2) = 11.5.  I could add the +13 to my initiator level and count as level 24 for initiator purposes?

Zaer Darkwail

Yup, you can be 24 iniator for maneuver gain/use wise instead adding +13 insight bonus to attack rolls with maneuvers (or to dice of dmg). I overall prefer instead 'pick and choose' you pick how bonus universally applies. I example have with my char +13 insight bonus to attack rolls with strikes, stances/boosts provided benefit is buffed if possible (example I cannot extend cloak of deception duration as it clearly states it lasts until end of my turn than 1 round but I can add +13 insight bonus to Roots of the Mountain to either DR or the bonus to resist combat maneuvers done vs me).

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  I'm probably going to do the same thing you are, use the bonus for attack rolls and other non-damage boosts.  As a quick question, though, let me run a few of of the moves I have picked out by you, just to make sure they're not OP.

Pearl of Black Doubt - this Diamond Mind stance gives you a +2 dodge bonus to AC every time an opponent misses you with an attack.  This bonus is only good until the start of your next turn.  (IE, the bonus only applies when it's not YOUR turn, and it resets when it is)  Would the +13 insight bonus be applied to that?

Flame's Blessing - this Desert Wind stance gives you Fire Resistance based on your number of skill ranks in Tumble (the Desert Wind skill).  With 10 ranks in Tumble, it would give me Resistance to Fire 10.  So, would the +13 insight bonus count towards the skill ranks?  Or towards the actual number for Resistance to Fire?

Burning Brand - this Desert Wind boost grants the user +5ft increased reach, in addition to turning all damage dealt into fire damage.  Would the +13 insight bonus apply to reach?

Jefepato

Jefepato: You can use all 3 wishes to wish firstly basic magic item and then upragde power of said item twice in row, but it takes three different wording of a wish (so action wise it's still a wish but I allow stacking it up to get item worth of 75,000gp example).
Okay.  That should be fun.  But should I assume that 3 wishes are the maximum per item, even if I find someone else to make wishes the next day?  (Like I said, I don't really intend to do anything abusive like that, but I want to be sure I know the limits of the wishes since they're one of the best things this character has going for him.)

What comes to maneuvers damage dice, you can add +13 bonus to damage dice of a maneuver. But overall I find it more useful (and easier) to add +13 insight either to all maneuvers attack rolls or dmg (and dmg part can be either flat bonus or number of dice if maneuver gives multiple dices already). Also you can add +13 insight bonus to iniator level (and thus able pick higher maneuvers even low levels while char creation and some maneuvers use iniator levels calculate things).
Wait, I can use the bonus to qualify for higher-level maneuvers?  :o

...Although, adding the bonus to attack rolls instead is starting to look good; based on my current calculations, this guy would have a hard time hitting himself.  (And on the third hand, even if it'll be four levels down the line, adding +13 damage dice to mountain tombstone strike would be incredible.)  I'll have to think about this.

In CR situation to calculate things legendary monsters are treated in 13th level to have SR 56 (so in short CR 34).
Well, okay.  That doesn't sound right per the book, but it works entirely in my favor so I won't complain.

Apropos of not much, the monk's belt seems almost unreasonably good for its price.  But I guess when you're a paragon, anything adding attribute modifiers starts to get awesome.

Zaer Darkwail

ReijiTabibito: The +13 insight bonus for pearl of black doubt indeed can be added to dodge bonus provided (so it's +15 dodge bonus to AC per missed attack which stacks). Flame's blessing you could not add it to tumble ranks but to fire resistance itself provided yes (as tumble rank requirement is a requirement). Burning Brand can indeed add +13 insight to reach (rounded up it's +15'ft and thus total 20'ft reach when use the boost).

Jefepato: Indeed it's tempting go either direction but that's up to you. If you go heavy on desert wind and shadow hand, adding to save DC of the maneuvers is good call also. Anycase the wishes done next day could improve the magic item (as wish itself says it helps improve excisting item and since wish casting the item has already made real item despite it's magical origin). However you soon reach point that not even by wish you cannot upragde the item (as after 3 wishes item is already 75,000gp, so with magic weapon you reach point where not even all three wishes burned for 75,000gp upragde would no longer help upragde it, but could in theory add additional magic powers albeit weaker to item like headband +6 intellect to have ring of sustenance functions).

Jefepato

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 01, 2016, 03:52:58 AM
If you go heavy on desert wind and shadow hand,
Warblade, not swordsage.  I can't really do that; at most I might grab a couple Shadow Hand maneuvers if I can spare the feats.  :P

...I guess I could have picked swordsage instead, since I could take divine power to take up the slack BAB-wise, but I like warblades.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 01, 2016, 03:52:58 AM
Anycase the wishes done next day could improve the magic item (as wish itself says it helps improve excisting item and since wish casting the item has already made real item despite it's magical origin). However you soon reach point that not even by wish you cannot upragde the item (as after 3 wishes item is already 75,000gp, so with magic weapon you reach point where not even all three wishes burned for 75,000gp upragde would no longer help upragde it, but could in theory add additional magic powers albeit weaker to item like headband +6 intellect to have ring of sustenance functions).
Well, that could get ridiculous in a hurry, but again I suppose I've no reason to complain.  (It's kind of tempting to not buy cheaper magic items with starting gold at all, since they're easily had, but I really don't want to begin this character's career by having him bribe mortals into wishing for what he wants over and over.)

Remind me how much adding additional unrelated item powers costs?  DMG pages 282 and 285 seem inconsistent about the price of "multiple different abilities."  The former, i.e. increasing each additional power's cost by 50%, sounds like how I remember playing it in the past but for all I know if we might have been doing it wrong.

EDIT: Just happened to look at the SRD, and it says multiply lower item cost by 1.5.  Maybe the DMG I got has typos.

Zaer Darkwail

Sowrdsage + divine power combo works very well. But then again warblade got access to iron heart and also other class features (adding Int to reflex saves is nice). Anycase the price for adding more stuff to single item is 'most expensive item doubled' and then add price of less costing items. So let's say most expensive item costs 30,000 and you add then 20,000 and 10,000, you double the 30,000 to 60,000 and then add 20,000 and 10,000 top of that to get price of said item.

Jefepato

Weird.  I would've thought it made more sense the other way (paying a premium on each additional item power, rather than paying extra once and stacking the rest at will), but okay.  This probably makes it easier for me.

Iron Heart is pretty neat, although I did have one dumb question: iron heart surge can't be used to end a condition if that condition prevents you from taking standard actions at all, right?