Question about MSN IMing.

Started by Blythe, May 14, 2013, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Okay, so I want to make an account for MSN Messenger (which I've really never heard of until this past week anyway), which I've never used before (being very much an idiot about IM stuff), but it seems to always send me to "Windows Live Messenger" or to Skype. Why is this?

Vekseid

MSN got replaced by Windows Live a long time ago, though they're the exact same thing really.

Microsoft is/was also trying to replace Windows Live/MSN with Skype, though I don't know how successful they've been.

Blythe

Blast. It downloaded Skype when I didn't want it to, claiming it needed to update Windows Live, when I logged in. *sigh*

I did not know about this whole Windows Live/MSN/Skype thing. I suppose I'll need to adjust to the newness.

Thank you, Vekseid, much appreciated.  :-)

Oniya

*nods*  Messenger stopped existing as a thing-in-itself in early April.  There is now only Skype from the Hotmail/live.com/Microsoft end of things.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Formless

I still hate how they changed hotmail to outlook ... Grrrrr ...

Oniya

Quote from: Formless on May 14, 2013, 07:25:42 AM

Preaching to the choir here.  Never wanted Outlook - I've avoided using it as a stand-alone, and all the 'Type Here' messages make me feel like a five-year-old.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

xRebecca

Quote from: Vekseid on May 14, 2013, 01:16:14 AM
MSN got replaced by Windows Live a long time ago, though they're the exact same thing really.

Microsoft is/was also trying to replace Windows Live/MSN with Skype, though I don't know how successful they've been.

They have succeeded :c
~Do I want to be with you as the years come and go?
Only forever if you care to know.
Would I grant all your wishes and be proud of the task?
Only forever if someone should ask.

~Even when I'm clumsy, I'll try to make it into something graceful.

Oniya

Well, they've made the change-over.  The question is, how many of their users are bailing over to things like Trillian?

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Formless on May 14, 2013, 07:25:42 AM
I hated it so much I jumped ship. Spent two days on the trot being down, and I couldn't stand it.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Formless

Quote from: Oniya on May 14, 2013, 07:34:21 AM
Preaching to the choir here.  Never wanted Outlook - I've avoided using it as a stand-alone, and all the 'Type Here' messages make me feel like a five-year-old.

Yeah I mean what was the deal with that?

Oniya

Well, I have worked in tech support, and some of the stories...

I still firmly believe that 'idiot-proof' is seen by some people as a challenge - to prove that it isn't.

Formless

Like the guy who called support asking why his internet connection was down when they had a blackout?

Oniya

'My modem?  Yes, it's plugged into the phone line.  Yes, I have dial-tone on that line.  What brand?  They told me it was an "internal".  Oh, manufacturer?  Let me look at it.  No, my machine's not open.  It's sitting on top of the monitor because I didn't have a Phillips head screwdriver.  Won't it work like that?'

Actual.  User.  (Or, well, once he was convinced he had to put the modem in the computer.)

Caeli

Working in tech support has convinced me that Outlook is the most unintuitive, horrible piece of mail client software invented. Half the time, it doesn't work because of user error; the other half, it doesn't work because it's Outlook and that's just because it doesn't work.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Formless

My issue with outlook is attachment. I have to send a scanned draft of a paper for business so I can send it overseas. E-mail should be convenient. But nope ... Outlook likes to prove that wrong.