Eden City: Superhero/Villain Game

Started by Darwishi, May 27, 2005, 01:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darwishi

This is just a topic to see if anyone would be interested in a superhero/superheroine/villain/villainess type game.  Either side can win, and I'd actually like to see things like both sides winning.  Now what happens if a villain or a badguy loses is that they are kept in the Superhero's base of operartions while the police take time to process the paperwork.  Then the badguy would be transported to a super prison for super powered beings. 

That out of the way, this game will be based in one city, Eden City which is on the East Coast United States, more towards the south.  (Like where North Carolina is.) The year will me 2035 and the technology will be similar to that of Batman Beyond.  There are people, called preternaturals,  that walk around and have had their genes spliced with animal DNA to make them stronger/faster/whatever.  This splicing always leaves behind some kind of trace of the animal.  For example if someone spliced with a fox, they may end up with a tail,  or a little more body hair than usual.  (No furries please) 

Some people have the treatment of splicing willingly and others had it at birth when their parents decided to make them different.  Also, this process is perfectly legal and sometimes encouraged if the baby is known to have some kind of defect.  There are other preternaturals in the city, usually known as mutants where they didn't have any splicing done yet they end up with some kind of abnormal ability.  Some of these people decide to lead normal lives, some turn to a life of crime, and others decide to become superheros or superheroines.

Eden City was built in the eyes of it becoming the perfect city.  Several years after the Perfect City was built, crimes started popping up everywhere.  The one Superheroine guarding the city, Eden, (partially named after her) fought valiantly but ultimately fell to the hands of evil.  With her gone, the police force could hardly keep up and crime started to over run the city.  This is when they decided to call in heros from other parts of the country and around the world to help them protect their city and restore it to it's perfection.

As for powerlevels in this game, I was thinking of having normal powered characters (highly skilled humans) up to a preternatural that could take on one human easily but something like fifteen would be difficult for them to beat.  Though that's fifteen without weapons.  Anyway that's the power level I was thinking on going on for this game.  One last thing, this will be a system/free-form game so that in a fight things will always be played fair, but things like when a person is bound, or there is minor touches, we don't have to roll dice for that.

Actually, I lied, the last thing is the character sheet, which I'm going to post out so that people can start making characters if they're interested.  If you are interested, just please post a quick little blurb about you're interest in the game so I can keep track of numbers.  When we have enough interest then I'll propose the game be set up by the mods of the board.  Without further adieu here is the character sheet.

Male or Female:
Appearance:
Intelligence:
Diet:
History:
Religion:
Income:
Education:
Sexual orientation:
Sense of Humor:
Family:
Friends:
Psychology (intro/extrovert, etc.):
Goals and Dreams:
Limits:
Name:
Alias:
Costume:
Powers:

Amberghylles

I'd be interested.  Not sure what I'd play in it just yet.

LordAnubis

well as I told Darwishi I'm intrested.  I can cover a villian.

Darwishi

By the way, I'll be playing a Superheroine that looks like the girl in the portrait.  Dunno her profile yet, but just letting people know that we already have a good guy and a bad guy willing to play.  Feel free to join either side, or maybe no side at all...though the focus will be on the superpowered aspect of the game.

I'd really like to see this game take off, so please post even if you're semi interested in the game. 

Thanks.

Brandon

Ya know I was just thinking of asking for a super hero type game yesterday and here one is. Strange how that happens huh?

I think I would like to be a good guy. Just a normal dude with super powers that fights for justice and all that jazz. Although I dont have a clue what super powers I would have, itll take some thought i guess.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Darwishi

~nods~ Oh yeah, this would go into the Heavy Sexual category of the games, just so everyone knows.  I came to the site and wanted a superhero game as well, hence creating one.  But anyway I guess I should start keeping tabs of who's wanting to play?  I think we have four people wanting the game right now, 2 of which are heros, 1 is a villain, and 1 is undecided...

Note also that we want both male and female heros, and male and female villains.  That way it keeps it interesting during all times.  And nothing is set in stone yet, so you can change your mind on what type of character you'd like to play whenever you want.  Oh yeah and I wouldn't mind a lot of players on both sides (just in speculation) that way there's this constant kind of play going on where anyone can get involved with something. So right now there's no limit on players able to join this game...

Thanks again. ^^

Natalie C. Barney

Nice power level and all sure I'll play not sure which side yet, but I'm in.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Ajoxer

Could we do it with Aberrant, from White Wolf, rules? I'd definetly join it if so- I like their take on Supers.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Natalie C. Barney

I say keep this free-form I hate using rules when I don't own them. Thats up to the GM though.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Darwishi

Well Lord Anubis is the one that knows the systems around here so I'll let him field that question.  It'll be mostly free form, but to keep the fights fair I'd like to use a dice system, most likely Anubis will teach me how to use it and then we'll both do all of the dice rolling and post the results on the board.

Out of curiosity though, what is the White Wolf take on supers?

LordAnubis

Well I know the whitewolf system, that is cake.   but I don't know how they do powers there.  Is it like Vampire disciplines or mage spheres?

Ajoxer

Oh, I just like the wide variety of powers. All sortsa nifty stuff- Disintegration, Flight, Hypermovement, Gates, even Mega-Attributes. Sorta helps me visualize the things better.

Erm... It's really in a class of it's own. And the system itself, if I recall correctly, is somewhat different. Not massively so, but a bit.

>_> There's always LIIIIIMEWIIIIRE.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Brandon

Heros unlimited by Palladium books is another good system for super hero games, though the system does take some getting used to. I would like to keep it largly freeform and only use rules when we absolutly have to. That way we dont get bogged down in a bunch of rules like most systems end up doing in PBP games (or at least thats been my experience).

Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ajoxer

Natalie C. Barney

You can keep this simple assign each player a pool of 30 D6 to assign to powers and skills from 1d6-5d6, average 3d6. When there is a need to roll for success just assign a difficulty and roll. You can do something similar for some stats like PHYSICAL, MENTAL and SOCIAL maybe 10d6 assigning 1d6-4d6 [normal above the norm but not super hero like human would be 2d6]. Powers could overcome this like the THING would have Super Strength and Armor. When doing things just take a stat plus the power or skill and roll on that. Hit points would be the physical dice rolled plus 3d6 (for the basic luck etc. of the character). There the rules. Geesh this isn't hard just something to keep the game balance. And if someone wants weakenesses and adds them in maybe that can give extra dice on a power if fair. EXAMPLE: MR. TANK has power armor that sometime fails to work and all his powers are in it. GM can give bonus dice to the armor etc. but it can be taken away and each time a power is used it fails on a roll of 2 or 3 on a 2d6 until it can be fixed. So if a character is a dedicated BRICK they could have at most SUPER STRENGTH 9d6 and ARMOR 5d6 (don't think strength applies to a static defense) plus some combat skills and hobbies. And that seems a fair power level.

For normal defense you could roll against PHYSICAL as a resistance or something. If someone takes a useful skill like DODGE add that in or of course a power.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Darwishi

~blink, blink~ Well as I said, or mentioned at before, Anubis is more of the systems guy so I guess he's fielding all of this.  I'm more of a story type person so what I like to think about is more of the creative side of things.  I personally love traps/trials...so if someone can come up with an original trap I'm all for it.  But anyway I think the point was if you have any questions pertaining to the game that involves anything but systems, I'll be able to field those questions. ^^

Natalie C. Barney

No I just think most systems don't work well on-line. Plus are hard to use for original ideas. I had the idea for a villian that tosses out Pheromones (both sexes), Aphrodisiacs and can Implant Suggestions. Sort of an attracts people, hornies them up and manipulates them to do things for her. I was thinking a mutant with para-natural pheromones and glads that constantly pump out aphrodisiacs, the other power more psychic or something. Or a Hymnotic Ring that has a swirling red thing on it that twirls when she beguiles someone. So sort of a seductive and sneaky character, so I need a system that is flexible to easily do this. I think just work out some simple one thats all taht one can slap on in a couple paragraphs. As for the game I'm not sure I always liked the flavor of the BATMAN TV series sort of funny and all. Of course with adult content  ;).

How about for a character name ALLURA?
Natalie Clifford Barney

LordAnubis

personally, I like d20 system.  give the character a will save, fort save, reflex save.  Strength, con, intelligence and then detail out everything else as skill checks.  simplifies things and you can make a skill for anything.  and the will save gives them a chance to resist, and a chance to fail.

Darwishi

Not sure I agree with the will save...although I guess with someone like Allura that'd be necessary. ^^  I usually make women with strong wills.  Then again, I also hate slavery with a firey passion.  But anyway, that sounds pretty nifty for a character, Nat.  I'm up for creatively built characters, so I'm all up for making up a power, then having to work the system around that creativeness. ^^ 

Basically I'll go with that kind of power so long as Anubis can work his system around it.  Also, you don't have to post a way to block the pheremone attack...but is there a way?  ^^  Just some things to think about, and if you wanna go with that character you could go ahead and fill out the character sheet. =O)

We have, six people now?  I think anyway.  2 villains (if Nat wants to go with that char, don't have to of course, I just liked the idea), 2 heros, and 2 dunnos?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Keep the ideas and characters coming. =O)

Natalie C. Barney

Well the Pheromones would be more passive to tip the people around her to her favor as the aphrodisiacs, I would guess logically it wouldn't work on robots, heros or villians with filters of some sort good enough (Iron Man sorts) and those not alive. Also a stronger willed character may have the moral resolve to resist like MR. FREEZE in that Batman movie. I had idea for the Suggestion Power a funky looking mood ring sort of thing with a red swirling thing on it and a sonic beam that lulls the mind to take her suggestions in. I should point out her first power wouldn't be obvious save for an intoxicating scent on her body.

Strong willed woman a challenge then- LOL.  ;)
Natalie Clifford Barney

Darwishi

Ahh okay.  Well that sounds even more interesting now.  And I'm not sure how the fighting would work on that, I usually think of fighting as physical combat, but I suppose it could be mental combat as well.  Anyway, I'd probably go free-form with the game if I didn't fear auto-hits and god moders and the such.  The dice just resolves a lot of arguments before they can even happen, you know?  I'd really like to see a character sheet on your characther, Nat.  I'll be coming up with my heroine pretty soon.  ^^ Based on the blonde in my portrait...

Brandon

Another option is to let each player roll 1 die and whoever gets the highest wins. Short and easy to understand and doesnt require weeks examining books in extensive detail.

Anyway, I think Ild like to play out my favorite City of heros character, the Blue meteor. A bodybuilder by nature he eventually went above and beyond human limitations through sheer determination. Granting him massive physical abillities such as super strength, jumping distance/hieght, and speed. Beyond that he trians in a type of body hardening martial art that makes his flesh and bones nearly indestructable to the point where a 30 ton truck landing on him would just leave a bruise.

Ill have to think about it more but thats just a rough draft.

Darwishi

~nods~ Just remember that while one or two people shouldn't be able to take him on...around fifteen should.  ^^  Basically I don't want them to devolve into one of those things where the city is destroyed at night from a fight...and then it's resurrected by morning. =OP  So maybe tone him down a bit? Unless fifteen people could take him? though if a semi can hit him and it leaves a mere bruise...I'm thinking fifteen people won't be doing so hot. ^^  Otherwise that sounds like an interesting character...mostly because he worked out so hard to become stronger and ended up giving himself superhuman abilities as a result. ^^  At least, if I read that right. 

Also, don't forget to design their costumes and what not. ^^

Brandon

Yep, Ive always found that characters that developed their powers naturally rather then them being granted through technology, mutation, etc always made more interesting characters

I pretty much picture BM as superman without the flight and laser eyes. Toning him down might be difficult but I think before I do that we should wait and see if our villains can come up with anything sinister and powerful enough to be a match for him.

Bishrook aka Fate sisters

Hi folks,
Yes I am interested in such a game and like the power levels suggested. I would the option of using magic powers, tech powers and perhaps supernatural race. (Vampire for example). Aliens moght be nice as well.
But all could be required a human cover.
I think all of those could be handled by the 15 to 1 limit.
I really dislike elaborate rules and I just hate D20. The simpler the better.
For what is worth here is my suggestion.
Guardianangel98’s suggestion is neat fair and simple. No one starts ahead and no messy politic around XP’s. No elaborate charts.
Each player has one dice. In any confrontation each player roles a dice. Higher one wins.
No damage…that requires we keep track. Characters can be thwarted, captured or have to run away. Victors win the ‘flag’ (cash, a kidnapping victim or a prison break for a buddy)
As far as mental powers I will cooperate with telepaths by telling them what my characters are think with reasonable limit. (Proximity being the major factor) I will allow them to render my character inactive or be captured but I am not going to switch sides or act pout of character for a die roll.
Steph
Weaver of threads
 Clotho who spins,Lachesis who weaves Atopos who cuts
We are the fate sisters, the Moerae, who apportion your destiny.
ons and offs
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7310.0