Looking for some RPers - Any Genre Welcome

Started by Sophidian, August 11, 2010, 05:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophidian

Why hello there!

As I wait to be approved (or not), I'm looking for some one-on-one (or small group) RP partners. I suppose a bit about me would be good:

• I've IM RP-ed for about ten years.
  • I've done almost every genre you can imagine (some of which I despised reading until I got a feel for it in RPs). I prefer fantasy, horror, steampunk and the occasional soft sci-fi.
  • I don't mind if you play a gender you weren't born (and I play guys as well as girls)
  • I write in third person past, normally. I also can write: *actions* Talk talk talk *actions*; but I prefer third person, past-tense.
  • I prefer a bit more than one-liners, but a bit less than five paragraphs. A decent amount, basically.
And now for the sorta odd things:

• While I can do OC profiles, I don't like using them. I want to learn about your character as the story progresses just like reading a novel.
  • I like to start off with the knowledge of the setting betwen us, and then just run from there. If the characters click, a story will appear.
  • Bouncing off that last one, I also like more of a plot than just romance. Don't get me wrong; romance is great! But there's so much more out there!
  • I don't mind having people with more than one character as long as they don't just RP with themselves! ;)

If anyone would like to RP, respond here! I'd prefer to keep it forum-based for the moment. If you have any genre in mind, let me know! And, as you can tell by the black banner that is there right now and the place where this is posted, I'd prefer to keep things PG-13.

Thanks for your time!

-Sophidian
Ons & Offs -- Searching for RPers -- A & As (September)

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Hello there, first off, good luck on your approval, it passes in no time :)

Secondly, I would like to be an RP partner of yours, I prefer to write in 3rd person past tense as well, it makes things so much simpler than first person present haha

I can write sci-fi, horror and fantasy and I also prefer to read an RP as if it were an actual book, so if you have any ideas for an RP then I wanna know :)
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Sophidian

Thank you, Hunter Phoenix! I'm all giddy with excitement at finding a giant RP community. I love the whole idea of it and everyone's been awesome so far (and given me great writing prompts and crazy questions in the introduction area).

Let's see if I can think of a RP idea...

How about a fantasy RP? Basic setting could be something like the far north (snow elves!). There are Yeti and the dangers of ice floes and sailors.

Or perhaps an Eastern type of fantasy based in a take on feudal Japan/China. They have dragons and phoenixes (or Ho-ohs) and demons.

Are there any characters lingering in the back of your mind that seem to have a cool setting attached?

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

I'm assuming here that with it been fantasy and with all the creatures and such, there will be magic involved as well? So we could use like a witch or mage or something like that with magical powers? Because if I play a fantasy RP I normally like to take a mage because I really like all of the magic and possibilities within the realm of the supernatural and the spiritual.

I prefer the sound of the Eastern background based around China and Japan because I love dragons and phoenixes :p

The chinese and japanese also had some pretty fierce warriors back around the time of their modernisation, like the chinese conscripted pretty much every person and made sure they had simple combat training and arms knowledge incase they were ever invaded, a tactic which is still used today, and back in times long since passed, the japanese had the fierce might and intelligence of the Samurai, so maybe if we had a fantasy were these are all in place maybe? with the dragons and demons and phoenixes and such as well to add to the element of fantasy along with possibly some magic?

thats just my idea, have you got any at all? maybe expand a little bit on your current ideas of setting and creatures and characters and such?

If you want to talk to me more, and quicker about a possible RP, my msn is baz1990@hotmail.co.uk, feel free to add me and then we can throw ideas around a lot more and come up with an RP that suits both of our styles :)

Sophidian

Quote from: Hunter Phoenix on August 12, 2010, 03:35:07 PM
I'm assuming here that with it been fantasy and with all the creatures and such, there will be magic involved as well? So we could use like a witch or mage or something like that with magical powers? Because if I play a fantasy RP I normally like to take a mage because I really like all of the magic and possibilities within the realm of the supernatural and the spiritual.

I prefer the sound of the Eastern background based around China and Japan because I love dragons and phoenixes :p

The chinese and japanese also had some pretty fierce warriors back around the time of their modernisation, like the chinese conscripted pretty much every person and made sure they had simple combat training and arms knowledge incase they were ever invaded, a tactic which is still used today, and back in times long since passed, the japanese had the fierce might and intelligence of the Samurai, so maybe if we had a fantasy were these are all in place maybe? with the dragons and demons and phoenixes and such as well to add to the element of fantasy along with possibly some magic?

thats just my idea, have you got any at all? maybe expand a little bit on your current ideas of setting and creatures and characters and such?

If you want to talk to me more, and quicker about a possible RP, my msn is baz1990@hotmail.co.uk, feel free to add me and then we can throw ideas around a lot more and come up with an RP that suits both of our styles :)

There, of course, can be magic! Mages are a blast. I love exploring the different types of magic and the system of how they use it (ie - Runes, Spells, etc.)

(Phoenixes seems like it should have a cool pluralization like Phoenixi or something like that. They are too cool for such things!) I like using samurai/warriors as well. I had to take a few classes on Japanese Culture (well, not had, but chose to take) and they were really well diversified. I'm sure we could say that some of them were trained in magic without altering the history too much.

To expand on the setting, we could have just a mid-feudal era small Oriental town (in a land that we can name later) that has a demon problem and is in need of some Demon-B-Gone (or dragon-b-gone, though I think all their dragons are rivers. We could make the setting near a river!). I would think a mage and perhaps some form of physical-attacking-individual (samurai or something) could be used.

I think my character could be some form of physical-attacking-individual. Though I don't believe many women were fighters then, I think I can imagine one that's not-quite Professional but can Make Do.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

thats does sound pretty awesome and I agree that Phoenix birds are too cool for such things as "es" on the end :p

If you want to be, you can be the mage, I can adjust to the part of a warrior or something, I have played them in the past as well which was a pretty good change from the whole magic scene even though I love it so much haha

It sounds like a good idea to have a small village or something like that with a demon problem right next to a river cause then a dragon could come in later on as well which would be pretty damn impressive :D

I only know what I have learnt through some historical films and such so you're more knowledgable than I am at this sort of thing :) but I will do my best to brush up on it so that I can do this RP a lot better than normal, cause I love the authentic and original feel of a fantasy, especially if it feels like it is telling itself :D

Sophidian

Oh, either way I'm fine! There's something almost endearing about a girl with a war fan going, "Now, just swing it away from my limbs, right? That's all?" You make your character how you want it, and I'll definitely be able to adapt. That's the fun of RP - taking what's thrown at you and working with it.

Dragon-rivers can definitely appear. Of course, if it is a good dragon-river or a bad-dragon river is the question! I guess we'll find out as we play.

And I'm really not fantastically knowledgeable about it! I know a few things here and there (I love Japanese history. Even before the big anime craze!) but I'll have to brush up as well.

So, the next step we take? Making a thread in the RP board? I still have to devise a character, so let me know what else you'd like to know!

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

Nope, everything seems cool :D if i have any questions i can always ask along the way really :) righty, whenever you are ready, lets get RPing :D

Sophidian

Awesome!

*devises a character*

(would be easier if my internet moved faster than a snail today...)

Ah! Okay. Character made, first post started, thread is right here. Kept the name simple.

Sorry it took so long. I babysit my siblings on Thursdays and Macaroni and Cheese was demanded.

-- Anton Chekhov

Hunter Phoenix

haha not a problem :) I will be going soon however because I live in England it is almost midnight here :p but I shall get one quick post in before I have to go :)

Sophidian

No problem! I'm in no huge rush, as long as you don't disappear on me all together. Sleep well when you get there!

-- Anton Chekhov

AAA111

Anybody interested in a long distance dating relationship rp or something along those lines?

Hunter Phoenix

yeah i could have a bash at that, would be interesting, never done one before, do tell me more

AAA111

Um would be the relationship of a couple that have been dating for 2 years now..she would be going to college and he could either have found a job that was located a few hours away or he could be in the military...just a roleplay about their relationship and how they are dealing with the distance...but can eventually change and be together again..if interested ill set up :-)

Hunter Phoenix

i'll have a think about it and then get back to you, its not really in my normal way of RPing lol

skyline339

Hey i'll join in an RP, I need a few more to be in :)

Sophidian

Any ideas skyline339? I'm in one called Genesis Institute that needs more people too. It's a sci-fi/hospital based one.

-- Anton Chekhov

skyline339

I'm really open to anything, but i'll think up something if you want give me a minute :)

Sophidian

-- Anton Chekhov

skyline339

I really like your idea of no profiles, just let the characters play out, but what kinda setting you like?

Sophidian

Oh, thank you! I find that not many people play that way anymore so I feel kind of... the odd woman out, so to speak.

Well, I'm in a sci-fi rp and a fantasy rp right now. Maybe steampunk? Or cyberpunk? Do you like any specific genres of the -punk nature?

-- Anton Chekhov

skyline339

I do very much so, those are very fun worlds. It's not really limited to real life physics or what makes sense :D

Sophidian

Awesome!

Okay, steampunk... There's gears, bronze, inventors, Victorian/Edwardian attire and severe prudishness, espionage, daring, etc...

Cyberpunk - crazy technology, underground laboratories, gritty streets, etc...

Any preference, or any others?

-- Anton Chekhov

skyline339

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

there both really awesome sounding, but I think steampunk haha its just sooo cool

Sophidian

I agree! Alright. So brief plottage:

What's the conflict we're up against?

-- Anton Chekhov