HannibalBarca

“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

SithLordOfSnark

Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Vekseid on November 07, 2017, 07:27:58 PM
Her opponent called himself Virginia's 'chief homophobe' refused to even debate her or refer to her as female[/url].

HA!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

That is just too perfect!  ;D I love it. I hope this victory is rubbed in his face forever.

HannibalBarca

Andrea Jenkins was just elected to the Minneapolis City Council, making her the first openly transgender woman of color to win a seat on the city council of a major U.S. city.

There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

HannibalBarca

Furthermore, Robert Marshall was the one who wrote the anti-trans bathroom bill.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it Robbie?
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

DominantPoet

Always good to see the better person coming out on top :D Would hate to think what it would have been like had her opponent won  >:(

Lustful Bride

Quote from: DominantPoet on November 08, 2017, 02:21:52 AM
Always good to see the better person coming out on top :D Would hate to think what it would have been like had her opponent won  >:(

Bless our hearts, we do try :P

Mithlomwen

Watching her acceptance speech had me tearing up. 

Good for her, and good for VA! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Fury Aphrodisia

Just hearing this news is making me cry-happy.

Trump is making America great again the same way Harvey Weinstein is making Hollywood safe again.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Vekseid

I was going to expound more, but I wanted this thread to be about her rather than references to national figures.

Fury Aphrodisia

Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

HannibalBarca

Not one, not two, not three...but four transgender candidates won last night in the United States.  Danica Roem in Virginia, Andrea Jenkins for Minneapolis City Council, Tyler Titus for Erie School Board in Pennsylvania, and Lisa Middleton for Palm Springs City Council in California.

Last night was full of win.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: HannibalBarca on November 08, 2017, 09:35:11 AM
Not one, not two, not three...but four transgender candidates won last night in the United States.  Danica Roem in Virginia, Andrea Jenkins for Minneapolis City Council, Tyler Titus for Erie School Board in Pennsylvania, and Lisa Middleton for Palm Springs City Council in California.

Last night was full of win.

That's total win. I'm so glad.

GnothiSeauton

I live in the same county and a neighboring district of the Roem/Marshall race.  So glad to see and read about her victory.  Some of the things that Marshall was saying, in his interviews and such were so mean and hurtful, and seemed to be so personal. 

Love this quote though...

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Jazzylynn

I would not refer to him as she either. Was Robbie a bigot because he did not agree with this Roem character’s lifestyle?

Quote from: HannibalBarca on November 07, 2017, 09:04:33 PM
Furthermore, Robert Marshall was the one who wrote the anti-trans bathroom bill.

Karma's a bitch, ain't it Robbie?
Robbie wrote a bill that was against mixing of bathrooms? I didn’t know that, but all the more reason to like him.

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Jazzylynn on November 09, 2017, 02:12:08 PM
I would not refer to him as she either. Was Robbie a bigot because he did not agree with this Roem character’s lifestyle?
Robbie wrote a bill that was against mixing of bathrooms? I didn’t know that, but all the more reason to like him.

Yes. Calling someone a pronoun they have asked not to be called is bigotry - Maybe you should look it up.

Jazzylynn

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on November 09, 2017, 02:26:29 PM
Yes. Calling someone a pronoun they have asked not to be called is bigotry - Maybe you should look it up.
I did not ask if he was called a bigot for not calling him a her. I asked if he was called a bigot for not agreeing with the decisions Roem has made or agreeing with her current ones.
Definition of bigot. :a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
So did Robbie respond to Roem hatefully or intolerantly?

Avis habilis

Quote from: Jazzylynn on November 09, 2017, 02:42:10 PM
I did not ask if he was called a bigot for not calling him a her. I asked if he was called a bigot for not agreeing with the decisions Roem has made or agreeing with her current ones.

No, he was called a bigot - appropriately - for refusing to acknowledge her actual gender instead of imposing one on her.

Quote from: Jazzylynn on November 09, 2017, 02:42:10 PM
So did Robbie respond to Roem hatefully or intolerantly?

That's a big yep.

Oniya

Quote from: Jazzylynn on November 09, 2017, 02:12:08 PM

The 'bathroom bill' would have required people to use the public restroom that corresponded to the gender that they were assigned to at birth.  As a result, you would have people like Chaz Bono (nee' Chastity) and Balian Buschbaum (nee' Yvonne) being required to use the ladies' room.  You'd also have Laverne Cox and Isis King walking into the men's room - but I'm sure none of those situations would be awkward in the least.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jazzylynn

Quote from: Avis habilis on November 09, 2017, 02:44:53 PM
No, he was called a bigot - appropriately - for refusing to acknowledge her actual gender instead of imposing one on her.

That's a big yep.

If people have the right to acknowledge that transforming your gender is an actual thing, then people have the right to not believe that. He acknowledged that Roem preformed surgeries to change what he was born with because he decided he felt like being a girl. That does not mean he has to agree that he is a female just because of surgery and chemicals he puts in his body to change himself.

Well I have not seen where he was hateful, unless him calling Roem a he is hateful.

Jazzylynn

Quote from: Oniya on November 09, 2017, 02:47:40 PM
The 'bathroom bill' would have required people to use the public restroom that corresponded to the gender that they were assigned to at birth.  As a result, you would have people like Chaz Bono (nee' Chastity) and Balian Buschbaum (nee' Yvonne) being required to use the ladies' room.  You'd also have Laverne Cox and Isis King walking into the men's room - but I'm sure none of those situations would be awkward in the least.

The 'bathroom bill' would have kept things the way they are... I am not familiar with the names you have listed, probably because I do not keep up with all the people changing genders and coming up with all the new identities. I only mentioned the bill to make sure I understood what the bill the Robbie worked on was what I thought, thank you for verifying.

Fury Aphrodisia

The man was being hateful as he was deliberately being antagonistic in a way he knew would hurt someone because he had made a decision as to who they were going to be. He was enforcing the concept that he had greater right to decide what ways people are allowed to recognize themselves. Bob is as much a woman as Roem is a man. Deliberately antagonizing him by calling him a girl, particularly if that carries the negative baggage it might for a transgender individual, would be unreasonably hateful of me.

Bathroom bills are something of a touchy subject because many people seem to think the status quo is being preserved when that simply isn't the case. The conversation, widespread as it is, about transgender individuals in society, is relatively new. As such, the wording of any laws makes it clear that an individual uses the bathroom that corresponds with their gender. Since those things are known to be identified in different ways, now, it's necessary to re-word legislation to reflect that. Lawmakers then have a choice: do they reinforce their own beliefs, or what is best for the individuals of a community.

Generally speaking, those that proudly label themselves homophobes can be counted on to be making relatively ambiguous actions such as these two points on behalf of their own beliefs and not because of the good of a community, particularly as there is no evidence of the community suffering in any way by NOT being antagonistic.

Nadir

Quote from: Jazzylynn on November 09, 2017, 03:21:48 PM
If people have the right to acknowledge that transforming your gender is an actual thing, then people have the right to not believe that.

If people have the right to be polite and respectful, they have the right to be rude and disrespectful. You are not wrong, but what does it cost to treat people as people?