Gotham City: No Mans Land (Batman/family needed!)

Started by Primarch, October 11, 2012, 04:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

Taking inspiration from Arkham City, the Dark Knight Rises and the story that inspired them both No Man's Land I'd like to do a game set in a Gotham City that the rest of America has just blocked off. So corrupted and polluted with dangerous super-criminals the government has erected defenses around the city to keep everyone in. People were given a day to evacuate, now everybody stays in. No Exceptions. Powerful Figures have risen up and claimed big chunks of the city for themselves. But a bit of the pie is never enough, everyone wants everything!

So here's how it will work. A player can take up a character and claim one of the 11 locations, this is the location you, your cronies and any other players that want to side with you control when the game starts. What happens after that is up to you.

Claimed Locations:
1: OPEN
2: OPEN
3: OPEN
4: OPEN
5: OPEN
6: OPEN
7: The Crime Doctor
8: Two-Face
9: OPEN
10: OPEN
11: Scarecrow

Player/Character:
Foxy Oni/The Crime Doctor
Ryuka Tana/Scarecrow
Pyrkinas/Two-Face

The game will be freeform, but keep in mind the idea of the setting is that resources of any kind are limited. If you use up a clip of bullets, its gone. If you're body armour takes damage, hope you can replace it. Occasionally I'll NPC supplies being dropped into the city (food, medicine) and you can fight amongst yourselves to get it or share it.

Before I put up a character sheet I'd like to gauge interest, or take questions/suggests if people have them. So...interested? Questions? Comments?

MzHyde

Cannon characters only? Also, is there a bigger image of that? I can't read it. *.*

Primarch

I'm not against OCs, especially if they're supporting canons or the like. Ultimately I'd just like to see some balance.

As for a larger version, if there is I couldn't find one. :/
As it would happen most of the numbers don't actually relate to anything important (I zoomed in using photoshop).

Primarch

To list them
1: Blackgate Prison
2: Wayne Manor Grounds
3: Power Plant
4: Robinsons Park
5: Gotham Waterfront
6: Dockside Amusement Park
7: Crime Alley
8: Gotham Clock Tower
9: Gotham Streets
10: Gotham Bank
11: Arkham Asylum

Amberly

I would not mind throwing my head in the ring as Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) if that is an option

Primarch

Absolutely is.
I would request however, the Batman family occupy a single location. Being a single faction that is, as opposed to each Bat person claiming their own territory when the time comes.

Amberly

I would probably prefer to be a "solo artist" and move among the territories.

Primarch

I imagine the stealthy types will be working that regardless. Will be essential in the fight to bring order to Gotham!

Primarch

Well here's a character sheet, for those that would like to start generating something.

For the character

[b]Codename:[/b]
[b]Real Name:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Superhuman traits:[/b]
[b]Personal equipment:[/b]
[b]Backstory:[/b]

[b]Territory:[/b]

Territory is only if you want to claim one of the 11 locations, which will make you leader of that location and have some responsibility attached. The specifics of resources I'll explain later, unless people want to go totally freeform. Territory & Superhuman traits can both be listed 'NA' or removed if they are not a required for your character.

The game will likely include episodic content, at least to the point that days will move on (which also means resources will dwindle). Also a means of giving things a fresh point to kick off in the event people drop out.

Latooni Subota

I am rather interested. You know I tend to insist on using OCs for myself though, so I'm trying to think of some concept that doesn't completely throw things off. Will probably be a supporter of one of the super-criminals. (Especially if we get a particularly amazing Poison Ivy. *cough cough*)

. . . Or another villain, depending on who is doing what. SO MANY IDEAS.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"This is actually kind of interesting (given I tend not to care for Fan-based settings for RPs). Is it fair game to take an existing concept and make it more your own? Like, can I make (entirely hypothetically) a Heath Ledger style Joker with a Mark Hamill Joker twist? Or do a Harlequin that isn't the Joker's sidekick, but his replacement? Again, both are hypothetical."

"In other words, is this supposed to take the base assumptions of Batman and continue that story, or be a new story told with familiar (but different) characters?"

"If it's the latter, I'm totally in with the Scarecrow or one of the previous Robins (Nightwing or Red Hood). Hell, I'd do more than one if you felt like you needed the character space, or I could even play a female. I wouldn't hate being Latooni's Poison Ivy."

"Also, pending the answers to my questions, Scarecrow would likely have the Asylum claimed... Naturally."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Primarch

Quotecan I make (entirely hypothetically) a Heath Ledger style Joker with a Mark Hamill Joker twist?

Yes, that would be fine. I will point out however, characters that are given a little personal twist will be approved on a case-by-case basis.

QuoteOr do a Harlequin that isn't the Joker's sidekick, but his replacement?

No. I don't mind Harley not being Joker's sidekick (she did eventually drop him in the comics) but I'd rather not remove a character (Joker) to make more breathing room for another. Not to mention, Harley is a terrible leader. As sad as it may be, she could never replace Joker.

Foxy DeVille

Sounds like fun. Got someone a bit obscure who could work...

Codename: The Crime Doctor
Alignment: Villain
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 168 lbs.
Appearance:

Skills: The Crime Doctor is a brilliant surgeon and physician. He is also a good criminal strategist and an expert at torture. His knowledge of anatomy and superb manual dexterity make him deadly with a scalpel. He seems to have some talent at hypnosis as well.
Superhuman traits: None but his ability to withstand serious trauma is impressive
Personal equipment: The Crime Doctor wields a scalpel and also carries a gun that fires a gas to put victims to sleeps. He has access to medical equipment that he can use to heal or to harm.
Backstory: Dr. Bradford Thorne was a prominent physician who turned to crime for the thrill of it. He would treat criminals at his "Crime Clinic" and even plan heists fora percentage of the take, which he would donate to charity. The Crime Doctor clashed with Batman but it was another criminal that put an end to him when Thorne fell victim to mercury poisoning that put him in a vegetative state. Yet somehow Thorne was able to make a full recovery and resume his life. It is possible that his ordeal cause some brain trauma because now Thorne was much more malevolent and even let a patient die. He followed this up with murdering a nurse that could expose him. Thorne returned to being the Crime Doctor, this time acting as a torturer for hire. After the government quarantined Gotham City, the Crime Doctor set up a new Crime Clinic. Here he provides medical aid but his fees are quite steep and don't involve money. He is protected by thugs he refers to as "orderlies" and has hookers dressed as nurses at his disposal.
Territory: Seven. The Crime Clinic is appropriately close to Crime Alley. Thorne exploits the needs of the nearby residents to keep them under his thumb.

Primarch

Nurse themed hookers. Classic.
Looks good.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Primarch on October 12, 2012, 08:32:31 AM
Yes, that would be fine. I will point out however, characters that are given a little personal twist will be approved on a case-by-case basis.

No. I don't mind Harley not being Joker's sidekick (she did eventually drop him in the comics) but I'd rather not remove a character (Joker) to make more breathing room for another. Not to mention, Harley is a terrible leader. As sad as it may be, she could never replace Joker.

"I get not wanting to drop Joker, it was more hypothetical. Though I absolutely had an awesome idea for a Harley that replaces Joker, though not for this RP and I've had it for a year or two now."

"Anyway, given how hard it can be to find even 11 players for a game, are multiple characters off the table? If not, how would you want to run that?"

"Either way, I'll work on a Johnathan Crane for your approval."

Primarch

Multiple characters would be fine, but I'd rather limiting a "faction leader" to one per player. If we don't have enough people to divy up all locations, they can simply be neutral and up for grabs when the game starts.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Okay, well, I won't make any extras, I'll offer up my services as Poison Ivy for Latooni, if, the space is free. Otherwise, I'll happily take on Dick Grayson/Nightwing or Jason Todd/Red Hood, again, if one or the other doesn't already have interest."

Pyrkinas

I'm interested. I would normally want to play a supporting character to one of the factions, but as Ryuka said it might be hard to find enough players in the first place. In that case, I'll try to come up with a faction leader. Perhaps Two-Face or Black Mask.

Steppenwolf

I'm interested. I'd like to play a supporting character too; maybe an OC character, depending how many people want to play and who takes which characters. If we're short on lead characters and the story needs another... I can do that. If not, I'd prefer to be a supporting character; maybe one who works/associates regularly with one of the primary characters.
Harry Haller & The Magic Theatre, not a Magic Carpet Ride.

Primarch

Quote from: Pyrkinas on October 12, 2012, 01:43:49 PM
I'm interested. I would normally want to play a supporting character to one of the factions, but as Ryuka said it might be hard to find enough players in the first place. In that case, I'll try to come up with a faction leader. Perhaps Two-Face or Black Mask.

Either would work.

Quote from: Steppenwolf on October 12, 2012, 01:50:51 PM
I'm interested. I'd like to play a supporting character too; maybe an OC character, depending how many people want to play and who takes which characters. If we're short on lead characters and the story needs another... I can do that. If not, I'd prefer to be a supporting character; maybe one who works/associates regularly with one of the primary characters.

You could just app a character and see who comes along. Once you see someone interesting ask the player if they'd be cool with you being one of their lieutenants.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"This Crane is notably different from his previous incarnations, but I had such an interesting idea for him. Particularly given the nature of Batman Villains loving to have some kind of ironic twist to why they picked their epithet. Might be best to start with his backstory, as a lot of his other traits are a bit strange without it."

"Oh, and I didn't figure anyone cared about Sharp... but if I'm wrong, I'll take that part out."

Codename: Scarecrow
Alignment: Villain
Appearance: Jonathan Crane, outside of his mask, was once a handsome, dark-haired, grey-eyed man. However, since the accident, his face and arms are disfigured.

Skills: Johnathan has become quite skilled with neurotoxins, particularly things like nerve gases and his own special formula which induces frightened hallucinations. Johnathan is also a skilled machinist, and, after his accident, took up studying psychology.
Superhuman traits: Crane has no particular superhuman traits, though he does seem resistant (but not immune) to his neurotoxins.
Personal equipment: Crane has a makeshift chemical lab set up where a number of different gases and toxins are prepared. He has used his combined skillset to create an intricate setup in the asylum air circulation system that allows him to pump his nerve toxins into select parts of the building.

Backstory: Johnathan Crane studied many subjects during his time in the university; and while he found biology and chemistry intriguing (minoring in chemistry, and never truly giving up his love of it), he was always most at home with machinery. He eventually moved on to work as a machinist, and made a reasonably lucrative career out of it, until his accident. At the age of 26, Crane's life was changed when he was caught in one of his machines. The doctors amputated his useless lower legs, and his arms and face, while fully healed over time, were marred with scars.

Jonathan's life was thrown into a twisted mess, and with no real family to support him, he found himself seeking solace with his mental and physical therapy. However, it was because he hated his various therapists so much, that Crane turned to studying psychology. He wanted to understand the mind, because he knew that despite all the happy thoughts they wanted to instill in him, the only thing he had felt that was real, was fear...

Jonathan Crane was placed in Arkham Asylum after dressing 'like a Scarecrow' and tearing open his current therapist's throat with a sickle. However, Crane was brilliant, dangerous, and careful, and he was not willing to rot in a cell forever. With Gotham being closed off, and the city in chaos, Crane felt it was a perfect chance. While it's not clear who started the revolt, Crane was there to hang Warden Sharp's body from the rafters and declare himself the new Warden of Arkham, letting the worst of the Asylum to run free into the city.

Crane now has a small fixture setup in the Warden's office that looks a bit like a metal 'T', upon which he can use his notable upper body strength to hoist himself up by one or both arms. With the props underneath, this is the closest Crane will ever get to standing again.

Territory: Eleven. Some think Crane helped others escape Arkham in return for allowing him to take over the place. Now, the criminals that remain work under Crane or live under his constant haze of confusion and fear.

(Also, if anyone's interested in playing Zsasz, he'd definitely have a place in the Asylum.)

Primarch

Looks pretty good. Reference the making himself Warden of Arkham after the city was closed off and it'll be good to go. The game will be starting on day 30 of Gotham being closed off, in december. For those that are wondering.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Primarch on October 12, 2012, 02:37:36 PM
Looks pretty good. Reference the making himself Warden of Arkham after the city was closed off and it'll be good to go. The game will be starting on day 30 of Gotham being closed off, in december. For those that are wondering.

"Editted that paragraph in general, tell me if it sounds good."

"Also, is it safe to say that the 'Batman Faction' runs the Wayne Manor area?"

Primarch

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on October 12, 2012, 02:40:35 PM
"Editted that paragraph in general, tell me if it sounds good."

"Also, is it safe to say that the 'Batman Faction' runs the Wayne Manor area?"

I'll wait until a member of the Batman Faction comes along to do so. I'd expect so, but I'm not hammering any nails down.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Okay. That's cool."

"So, are you planning to play anyone?"