The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

So is Fox loaning Deadpool out like Sony is doing with Spidey then?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

It seems more like a shared project due to the colossal mess they made with Deadpool in Wolverine that Marvel is taking the reins of control.

Deamonbane

I'd like to see a non-PG-13 Wolverine movie. He's easily one of the most explicitly violent blokes in Marvel and they have him tagged in bloodless movies so far.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

They are promising that Deadpool will be rated R. If it does well, perhaps Marvel will start making edgier hero movies. Be great if the last Wolverine movie is rated R. Let loose with no holds bar action.

Mathim

Can someone help me put my eyeballs back in their sockets? That news about Deadpool being part of the MCU knocked them right out of my skull.

Why couldn't Fox just hand back the Fantastic Four like they should have a decade ago? Not that Deadpool wouldn't be great but without the rest of mutantkind, it makes no sense. At least the F4 aren't directly affiliated with the X-Men, AND She-Hulk was a former member of the F4, and they need to get her on screen already since now it seems like Marvel is getting better at having more female presence as super protagonists. Maybe if Ronda Rousey doesn't get cast as Captain Marvel, she can be She-Hulk instead, like a few youtube channels have suggested.

If not Deadpool in the MCU, I'd at least like to see Taskmaster. I don't think he'd fit into Daredevil season 2, since that seems like it will be less of a singular villain or merc type of story arc, but maybe in Iron Fist, or a later season of Daredevil.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Taskmaster was another character who crossed over in various titles. Part of his abilities, he could mimic certain heroes like Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. He was also a trainer for a lot of supervillains. He gained the most comic time appearing in the Deadpool comics as well as Agent X and his short lived mini-series. Taskmaster would be awesome to show up in the tv shows. And, then appear in the next Deadpool movie. Taskmaster would fit in since they are having the Punisher appear.

Sienna Miller is now expressing interest in playing Captain Marvel according to a news article. She could possibly pull if off as she did appear in an action movie. The G.I.Joe movie as the Baroness.

Interesting sidenote. Was watching The Flash season 1 again. The episode where they are transporting the Metahumans from the Pipeline to the Ferris Airs Training grounds. Cisco states that they shut it down due to one of their test pilots going missing. Hal Jordan was a test pilot for Ferris Airs as well as dating Carol Ferris who went missing and returned as the Green Lantern. They have been hinting on both Arrow and The Flash about a possible Green Lantern appearance.

CaptainNexus616

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

I get it! It's because Bucky's costume is so ridiculous, right? Ha ha!

But seriously, hard to believe Jessica Jones' premiere is only a week away! So excited, can't wait. Good thing I don't have any Thanksgiving plans. Get to marathon the whole thing with no interruptions.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

Until I get proof I am saying its a edit like the Batman slapping Robin meme.

SapphireStar

It looks like it is a photoshop. There is no issue number on the cover. Typically all the DC and Marvel comics had issue numbers under the logo and just above the price. Depending on the "year" Captain America was a product of Timely comics around 1941 before Marvel logo was put on around the 1960s. I looked through the Overstreet comic book guide and there was nothing listed under any of the Captain America sections about him eating his shield.

CaptainNexus616

Thought so. Still just love how serious Cap is about eating his shield to avoid death.

Mathim

SapphireStar

Came across another rumor regarding Batman Vs Superman. Apparently they are adding another character to the mix. Rumor is that they are adding Mera, Aquaman's wife.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on November 15, 2015, 06:22:12 PM
Came across another rumor regarding Batman Vs Superman. Apparently they are adding another character to the mix. Rumor is that they are adding Mera, Aquaman's wife.

I wonder who they'll cast to play her. Jason Momoa looks NOTHING like the one we're used to see in the comics and on the animated series, so how much is that going to influence his wife's appearance?

CaptainNexus616

Found a photo teased for the new Daredevil suit. Looks like its been out for awhile

There are not any drastic differences from the one in Season 1 with the exception of the mask. Looks like the front plating is now black, which will really help bring out the red lenses more than it did in Season 1. Other than that nothing else different and it looks like he's still swinging his sticks. However that may change when we can finally watch the season.

SapphireStar

Rumors have surfaced that Michael Douglas will reprise his role from Ant-Man in the sequel. And X-men 7 will start filming in 2017.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on November 17, 2015, 05:42:38 PM
Rumors have surfaced that Michael Douglas will reprise his role from Ant-Man in the sequel. And X-men 7 will start filming in 2017.

Yeah, Douglas was saying he wanted his Hank Pym character to have "Less expositional dialogue", LOL. I never felt like that was a bad thing for his character in Ant-Man, or that it ever was all that much, but I guess it bothered him. But, shit, what else do they expect the elderly mentor character to do?

And there's going to be an X-Men 7 now? I thought this was the last major film before they rebooted the continuity (except in the spin-offs...speaking of which, Gambit seems to be taking place in its own little world, with no regard to the other films at all...though they're already playing so fast and loose with the sequence of events anyway. But still...) Although, minus the two Wolverine films, that makes sense since I think Bryan singer said that they were working on the second trilogy, where First Class, Apocalypse and "Untitled" were going to be a part of it. I just thought before that The Wolverine was part of that second trilogy since it actually had something to do with DOFP given that ending scene. I wonder where they can go from here...they already did the Dark Phoenix (horribly) but maybe they'll deal with the Shii'ar empire or possibly Sauron in the Savage Land. Or Mojo perhaps? If they don't use Mr. Sinister in Apocalypse, he's also a possibility, I know Bryan Cranston was rumored to be playing him, or at least interested in it.

OKAY. Just watched the first four episodes of Jessica Jones. HO. LY. CRAP. Man, that stuff is intense. I had read the Alias comics previously so I already understood a great deal of the backstory and its resolution but while I'm not going to spoil anything specific, I can say that it does deviate from the comics pretty significantly which I think was expected since nothing is ever a direct adaptation of any stories from the comics, and who wants it that way anyhow?

I didn't know Ritter previously but she's doing a pretty decent job as an actress, I think I'm warming up to her even though I really hate Jessica's character for all the choices she makes, but Ritter sells it well. There's a bit too much sex going on, I think they could have saved time implying it rather than showing us people humping under a blanket, if there's no actual graphic stuff being shown like an HBO show, then why bother, you know?

If I had to compare it to Daredevil, I'd say Daredevil is written a bit better but I think that Jones introduces a few more characters a little earlier on and so there's less emphasis on individuals as a result, but there is a lot more mystery and intrigue going on, unlike Daredevil where it's like, "Oh, there's Kingpin, gotta stop him." David Tennant's depiction of Kilgrave, while known to readers of the comics, is a much more difficult villain to face off against than Kingpin simply due to the nature of his power. While Fisk hides behind money, Kilgrave can hide behind pretty much anyone who is within the sound of his voice and that includes a lot of innocent bystanders whereas Fisk had the Russian gangsters, the blind Chinese heroin peddlers and others to throw at Daredevil before their face-off. So while the formula is similar, I think Jones' series lends itself to being more of a detective story than Daredevil, even though Daredevil did have some moments like that. But he's more like the 'beat a confession out of someone' type of investigator while her methods are more traditional; tailing someone, surveillance, using actual legal channels to get to suspects, not that she doesn't get her hands dirty in some creative ways.

Overall, I'm excited to see how the rest of the series goes and concludes, which I will spend the bulk of tomorrow finishing up. Right now I'm too tired to continue watching even though I really want to. Anyway, if anyone's got Netflix, I do highly recommend checking it out if you're not opposed to some superhero characters getting down and dirty, even more so than Daredevil (and that is saying something.)

SapphireStar

ANother rumor has surfaced, this according to an article which recently came out with big spoiler headlines saying that the Gotham show was going to be killing off a major character. Guess who? The Joker. Because, the Suicide Squad movie people got upset that The Joker was being used elsewhere and should be exclusive to the movie like Deadshot. Didn't the movie people say that the movies and the tv shows were completely sepearate from one another? If this keeps happening, what does this mean for The Flash tv series when Ezra Miller dons the suit to become The Flash? Are they going to pull the plug on the hit tv series?

Deamonbane

I was under the impression that they'd already killed the Joker off...

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on November 21, 2015, 07:40:20 AM
ANother rumor has surfaced, this according to an article which recently came out with big spoiler headlines saying that the Gotham show was going to be killing off a major character. Guess who? The Joker. Because, the Suicide Squad movie people got upset that The Joker was being used elsewhere and should be exclusive to the movie like Deadshot. Didn't the movie people say that the movies and the tv shows were completely sepearate from one another? If this keeps happening, what does this mean for The Flash tv series when Ezra Miller dons the suit to become The Flash? Are they going to pull the plug on the hit tv series?

I think we'd already established how boneheaded DC could be in playing catch-up with Marvel. They don't have the confidence to double-dip their universes, so what else is new? Let them screw up and suffer the consequences. It's the only way they'll have the slightest chance of learning a lesson, like Fox with Fant4stic, though that lesson seems dubious at best if they're really planning on moving forward with the sequel. Of course they should have known from the get-go that the film Trank proposed was a horrible idea, so their learning curve is by far the worst.

mia h

I'd take that rumour with a pinch mine of salt. Gotham's producers that they were going to show lots of possible Joker's in the shows run but they wouldn't ever give a definitive origin story for the Clown Prince of Crime, and that's exactly what they've done. The last episode of Gotham had "Joker" graffiti sprayed on a wall even if the character that inspired the graffiti is no longer in the show. As for Deadshot, I can see the movie not wanting competition from what is a minor character in Arrow, but in the TV show there was no body so the door is always open for a return.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.