News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Must See movies of 2011

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on May 06, 2011, 02:04:08 AM
Thor.. nice.. for those who go.. STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

Well duh...there's always something after the credits in the marvel movies. :p

Jag

I know it's not everyone's type of movie, but:

Atlas Shrugged Trailer

It opened April 15th, 2011...so awesome. For those that don't know, Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand. It was her longest (1,368-pages) and last novel. It's an amazing novel and part 1 of the movie was fantastic. The movie is going to be 3 parts. It was in 'development hell' for 40 years before the movie was finally made.

So many gave it bad reviews because they said they didn't 'understand' the film. I really don't think it's something you can understand till you read the book or wait for all three movies to come out. Also, a lot of people gave it bad ratings and reviews because it's Ayn Rand. I really think that's a poor reason to try and drag a movie down.

I really encourage people to see this movie.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Wolfy

Actually, because of the bad reviews, and how poorly it actually did (And is doing), there probably won't be more movies.

Jag

From what I heard, they are still pushing forward with the other two. I see no reason why people thought it was a bad film. Almost every review I've seen bashing it has been because of Ayn Rand. This movie has been 40 years in the making and they were given a small budget to work with. Despite the reviews, it is pulling in money even though it's only being shown at limited theaters.

innocenceportrayed

Fast five was amazing. I absolutely loved it as did my boyfriend who swore he'd hate it. "I wanna see Rio" -stomps feet-. He's such a child sometimes, I swear. Haha. Anyway.

Also, I kinda wanna see the new pirates of the caribbean. KINDA.
Keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

gaggedLouise

Saw Black Swan earlier this week - it's a movie I knew I wanted to see from the point I heard about it, but didn't find the time until now. It's ummm...very good, quite interesting and Natalie Portman certainly deserves her Oscar - regardless of any discussion about who did what in the dancing scenes, that's not really important. (She was even better in V for Vendetta though!)

It's a very stylized film and it stretches some things to the limit, even counting in artistic license. I would have liked it to be a bit less obvious in its use of sexual metaphor - I have no trouble with outspoken or "graphic" films but the way Black Swan makes Nina's quest as a dance artist go toe to toe with some very pose-y scenes makes it look as if the film is saying she needs to get lost in a haze of dionysiacal ecstasy to really make it as a ballerina, and that this is a general point about artists. To me that feels like devaluing the long-term commitment, the technical and/or personal striving involved in whatever art you're pursuing, and it's also a point of view that seems to excuse Thomas: in the end he's just doing what any man in his position could be expected to do if this is it, and after all isn't he the one who makes her take the leap forward? Actually, no serious real world choreographer (except a very disturbed one) would order his new lead ballerina to go home and fidget herself to better get into the part - that looks like a cheap move not just by him but by Aronoffsky as a film director.

The mother feels like almost a cardboard figure too, and all the women in the film are more or less doubles of Nina: they embody various aspects to contrast with her. That's a deliberate trait I think, but at many points the film looks muddy when it comes to just what is the nature of the obstacles Nina is trying to break through. It's an engaging film, and great to watch, but not really as outstanding as it's been hyped to be.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Ah.. Kung Fu Panda 2.. got my Po fix for the next few years... The Fat Panda strikes again.

Kuroneko

Priest was awesome.  It was like Firefly with vampires, lol. 
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Anjasa

I really want to see Hanna, actually. As said above by someone else - I love kick ass women!

And the final Harry Potter movie.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Anjasa on May 31, 2011, 04:55:00 AM
I really want to see Hanna, actually. As said above by someone else - I love kick ass women!

Hanna was quite good.

"ah.. my old enemy.. Stairs!" Po, Kung Fu Panda 2

Caeli

I would actually like to see My Week With Marilyn, whenever it comes out (it's supposed to premier in 2011, but I haven't seen an actual date for release yet). It seems it got a warm reception at Cannes, and I like several of the actors.

Plus, I just love drama films. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Callie Del Noire

X-Men: First Class was good.. no teaser at the end.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caeli on June 01, 2011, 06:11:16 AM
I would actually like to see My Week With Marilyn, whenever it comes out (it's supposed to premier in 2011, but I haven't seen an actual date for release yet). It seems it got a warm reception at Cannes, and I like several of the actors.

Plus, I just love drama films. :)

Naomi Watts is filming as Marilyn Monroe in Blonde (after Joyce Carol Oates), it's supposed to be out next year. I can't wait to see it, she was made for that part. She has both the looks and the vulnerability and insight. Her first Oscar?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Belle33

Thor:  I enjoyed the first hour more than the last.  Once they get to small town Earth, I lose a little interest - still - a shirtless Thor redeems the entire movie for me.  :P

Something Borrowed:  Call me girly, this was a great little treasure - I can't believe the bad reviews it got.  I was with the only guy in the theater and we both laughed from beginning to end. 

Jane Eyre:  Wonderful film, though Timothy Dalton is still my favorite Rochester. 

FYI - Those post credit scenes are called stingers.  You can find out if a film has a stinger by checking one of many sites listing them. http://moviestinger.com/  I usually forget to check until credits are rolling - thank you smart phones :)

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

SinfulBliss

X-men first class was really good. IT ANSWERED ALL MY FUGGING QUESTIONS!

I also saw Thor, me being the comic book Nerd I am, I was slightly disappointed with the movie.

And I am HELLA excited for green lantern...my number one favorite super hero...and I am gay for Ryan Reynolds

Anjasa

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed X-Men: First Class. I figured I'd hate it, because I usually really dislike prequels. But I thought it was good. The actor that played Magneto was awesome, too, so that helped.

SinfulBliss

Magneto was played perfectly, if he was screwed up somehow they would have to have felt with my nerd rampage. And...Emma Frost was pretty hot too :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SinfulBliss on June 11, 2011, 05:33:06 PM
Magneto was played perfectly, if he was screwed up somehow they would have to have felt with my nerd rampage. And...Emma Frost was pretty hot too :)

Still dont' see why they need her to be 'diamond telepath', why couldn't folks stick with the orginal 'hot chick telepath' bit from her first appearance with the secondary of 'more money than god'.

Hideyori

Less than a week til Cap. I'm so excited. I decided I would do a dramatic reading of Civil War: The Confession to my group pre-movie. All goes well, not a single eye will be left dry.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."

Syauglan

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 14, 2011, 05:01:19 PM
I have no trouble with outspoken or "graphic" films but the way Black Swan makes Nina's quest as a dance artist go toe to toe with some very pose-y scenes makes it look as if the film is saying she needs to get lost in a haze of dionysiacal ecstasy to really make it as a ballerina, and that this is a general point about artists. To me that feels like devaluing the long-term commitment, the technical and/or personal striving involved in whatever art you're pursuing, and it's also a point of view that seems to excuse Thomas: in the end he's just doing what any man in his position could be expected to do if this is it, and after all isn't he the one who makes her take the leap forward? Actually, no serious real world choreographer (except a very disturbed one) would order his new lead ballerina to go home and fidget herself to better get into the part - that looks like a cheap move not just by him but by Aronoffsky as a film director.

Interesting Louise. I like and have actually lived the idea that Dionysian...absorption? can allow creative potential to flow with power and grace, especially if a great deal of energy has built up over time. Long term commitment to art or athletics can involve a partial or more complete sublimation of sexual energy. Its the lack of ordinary sexual release that can often provide the motivation to strive so hard for so long. All the fuel has to go into performance or practice. Its a little risky though; has the potential to upset the balance of physical or mental health. I relate the legend of Icarus to this.

Anyway, I thought Black Swan explored the above themes quite well but I agree with you that Thomas trying to encourage her to become more overtly sexual was dumb. I thought his character was a disaster because of that. I would have written him so differently.

Jag

Not sure if this one has been posted yet, but I'm actually very happy to see the reboot of this series:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Movie Trailer 3 Official (HD)

Let's hope it's really as good as the trailer makes it look. I loved watching these movies when I was younger and hopefully this will be better than Tim Burton's version of the first one.

Also, I have a feeling Tom Felton's character is going to be killed.

Ravenhawk

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 03, 2011, 02:02:58 AM
X-Men: First Class was good.. no teaser at the end.

That's because the X-Men films are not being done by Marvel, and are not part of the big buildup to Avengers. Both Ironman movies, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor have had teasers, and I'm assuming Captain America does as well.

In fact, I think the newest tv trailer for CA shows a bit of the teaser at the end.

LunarSage

So now that Fast Five has (presumably) been seen, was anyone disappointed as hell?  I heard really bad things though I haven't seen it myself. 

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫