Two-word Summary of Terra Nova Premiere:

Started by Shjade, September 27, 2011, 10:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on September 27, 2011, 10:48:10 PM
Exposition much?
Well, I didn't watch it because it turns up in competition to another show I watch, and missed my chance to record it with my DVR. That aside, isn't the pilot kind of supposed to be about exposition? Sure Gears of War gave you bugger and all in that department, but T.V. is a much more predictable beast. :P

Oh, and it's Fox, so even if it's a good show it'll get canceled because it's not a cartoon. :\

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Miss Lilly

Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on September 29, 2011, 10:04:09 AM
Well, I didn't watch it because it turns up in competition to another show I watch, and missed my chance to record it with my DVR. That aside, isn't the pilot kind of supposed to be about exposition? Sure Gears of War gave you bugger and all in that department, but T.V. is a much more predictable beast. :P

Oh, and it's Fox, so even if it's a good show it'll get canceled because it's not a cartoon. :\

Of course, because Fox KNOWS that only basement dwelling mouth creatures would want to see it, it's got dinosaurs in it.

Sorry, tried of anything I like to watch being cancelled for reality shows that are cheaper to produce

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on September 29, 2011, 10:04:09 AM
That aside, isn't the pilot kind of supposed to be about exposition?

There's exposition, and then there's EXPOSITION.

Trying not to spoil, an example of the kind of exposition in Terra Nova: about a third of the way into the episode we're treated to some folks in the Terra Nova timezone coming across some funky stuff out in the wild and being all "DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY WHAT DOES IT MEAN" with mystery and etc.

At the very end of the episode, for no apparent reason, we cut back to that area to see the "bad guy" and one of her henchmen looking at that funky stuff. She proceeds to explain to her henchmen exactly what it all is, why it's there, why it's hidden, and who is responsible for it being there. It has no bearing on anything that's happened so far and removes 90% of the mystery surrounding it. And then the episode ends. What? Really? Why do that? Seriously, why?

Lilly: on the fence. It has potential to be good, but the writing fumbling over itself in instances such as the above has me feeling pessimistic about its future.
◕/◕'s

Aiden

I liked it, I think the show has potential and hope it survives.

who wants to watch Chaz Bono dance anyway.

Kazuume

Quote from: Aiden on September 29, 2011, 09:16:07 PM
I liked it, I think the show has potential and hope it survives.

who wants to watch Chaz Bono dance anyway.

lol I agree.  The premiere was pretty decent.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing slowly ... very slowly."
                                 ~Gypsy Rose Lee~
                                           ---,`--@
     ~Kill me slowly, so through the pain, I will know I have lived.~

What's Yes & What's Not
Apologies & Absences
Stalled out stories: Dragon Familiar ~ Loki

Ashe

The premise on paper seems absolutely stupid.  "The world is dying so we're going to send half the population to colonize a parallel world in the Cretaceous time."  It's like... would we really do that?  Any scientist would have to question the kinds of bacteria and viruses that existed in that time which are extinct now.  An entire colony could be wiped out by some superform of the Black Plague.  And I know we have nuclear weapons now, but...would I still risk the human race against dinosaurs?  Did we not learn that velociraptors are freaking geniuses?  (They haven't made an appearance yet, but they existed then.  I'm waiting for the Jurrassic Park shout-out.)

However, when I watched the second episode this week, it was surprisingly good.  Who doesn't love a giant hoard of flying bird-reptiles with knife-like talons?

All in all, I'll keep watching.  Maybe it'll survive 8 seasons like House or Lost.  Or maybe it'll be done by 2013.  Either way, it's dinosaurs and some cool sci-fi.  Something half-mindless to let your inner dinosaur-loving child out after a long day, given you're not watching something else. 

Shjade

I doubt they'll have proper raptors show up - they seem to be going with an alternate timeline "our dinosaurs are different" perspective. Slasher-tails seem like they're already intended to be raptor substitutes: working in packs, intelligent enough to peel an armored car's panels apart to get to the goodies inside, etc.
◕/◕'s

Anyalyss

I didn't like it at all, it was full of annoying teen-angst (emo-son who blames dad just because he feels like), silly acting & plot (boring and predictable) and very poor special effects. Sowwy to those that liked it, but that's my opinion :P
O&O's    A&A's

Abagail

I been watching this show myself and i loved it, I wonder how long the show wil last myself, if it will get past the first series, hopefully it will! if so i will be happy, but you never know where the show will take itself, for good or bad.

Shjade

Honestly, my favorite part of the show is simply the fact that they got the same guy who played the evil warmongering military commander in Avatar on a planet populated by massive carnivorous creatures and never-ending jungle to play the level-headed protective military commander in a setting populated by massive carnivorous creatures and never-ending jungle. I can just imagine the direction for his character: "Okay, so for this show, just remember your character from Avatar and pretend you're his good twin."
◕/◕'s

DudelRok

I like me some Terra Nova!

It's one part Jurassic Park and one part Avatar. It's just sans-blue monkies and "Why'd we play God!?"

I don't watch either of those, or Terra Nova, because I love the plot. I watch for:

A) People running from dinosaurs/monsters/etc
B) People getting killed by dinosaurs/monsters/etc
C) People killing dinosaurs/monsters/etc
D) Special Effects (horrible or otherwise)
E) Sigourney Weaver

I mean the first Episode of Terra Nova was one hour too long, I'll admit that. Personally I don't think all that time spent on... in year 21-whatever-it-was really needed to be done. All that character set up seemed rather... well they could have TV troped it and just moved on to what I wanted like Falling Skies with their aliens.

Episode two was AWESOME. Who doesn't like evil little rat-lizards of flying doom? Oh and then there was that plot about the one guy hitting on the other guy's wife. Like I said, not there for the plot.

I can't wait for tomorrow! Already got it DVRed in case I forget. XD

In the end, if Terra Nova gives me a regular Dinosaur monster-mash, I'm gonna watch.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Anyalyss

Oookay, I watched the episode 3 and it seemed to improve a bit, at least there wasn't any annoying teen angst *giggles* Hopefully they will keep it this way and hopefully too they will make the Avatar commander baddie a bit more "kick-ass" character, he seems such a softie now :P
O&O's    A&A's