Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals (D&D 3.5)

Started by Jeramiahh, January 07, 2009, 01:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

If ever there was a time when the people of Krynn are crying out for heroes, that time is now - the Fifth Age, the Age of Mortals.

After forty years, the gods have returned to the world of Krynn, ushering in a new age of magic; the lost divine and arcane arts returned with them, to contend with the shamanistic and mystic magics that arose to fill the void. The dark goddess Takhisis lies stripped of her divinity, although the god of Light, Paladine, sacrificed his own to bring her down. The dragons of good have been driven into hiding, while the dragons of evil openly control vast swaths of land. The Dark Knights of Neraka have become a force to be reckoned with, having seized power in the chaos that followed the Second Cataclysm, and now control the majority of the civilized lands. The once childlike and fearless kender have become as cynical and terrified as the rest of the races, and all hope seems lost, even as the beacons of light have been lit.

It is here, at this important turning point in Krynn's history, where the vacuum of power has been created, that the chance for heroes and villains has arisen, to change the destiny of the entire world. And it all starts... with a song.

This is the most recent official Dragonlance campaign for Dungeons and Dragons. Divided into three books, Key of Destiny, Spectre of Sorrows, and Price of Courage, this is a truly epic, sweeping campaign, designed to take the heroes from first to twentieth level. I recently finished playing in a majority of the campaign, but, due to moving away, I won't be able to see it through to its conclusion. While the story is steeped heavily in the lore and works of the Dragonlance setting, prior knowledge is not required, as the story offers numerous opportunities for explanation and exploration into its long history, over the course of dozens of books and adventures.

The story begins only a few months after the events of the War of Souls trilogy, and sweeps at a brisk pace through locales both familiar to readers of the series, and new and exotic. It's a high-epic story, very high-powered and high-fantasy, keeping with the feeling that the events of the future are shaped by the heroes' decisions, actions, and sacrifices.

For the campaign, I intend to use the D&D 3.5 ruleset, though modified by some of the things I like, and will steal, from the Pathfinder ruleset, such as changes to skills, HP, and a few other, minor things. Players will start at first level, although several campaign specific classes and races will be available for use. I plan to detail character creation once I have acquired enough interested parties.

On that note, I do want to be somewhat picky about who I ask to play this; due to its length, and the nature of dice-based games on the forum, I'm looking for people who can provide at least one reply every day, and intend to play for an extended duration. I would like players to at least be familiar with the D&D rules, in general, even if specifics may escape you. This will not be an easy game; planning, forethought, and good tactics will be encouraged and rewarded, and I plan to put in a significant amount of effort to this game, hoping to receive the same back from the players.

If you're interested, or have any questions, please let me know; I'm always glad to answer any questions I can.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Idej

Will we be able to use Sovereign Press Booksd?  They made quite a bit of Dragonlance Supplements that would help expand the game.  They might need a few tweakings due to some of them being in 3.0 and some in 3.5, but they are pretty good.

The American Patriot

wow... a Dragonlance game! A chance to play a red robed mage again! can i join!
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Jeramiahh

I'm afraid I don't have any of the older books, so I'd advise against that. I do have all of the v3,5 books, though, so virtually any character can be created; there's a ton of setting-unique PrCs.

And a man after my own heart; I played the voice of reason, the red-robe, in the game I was in. *grin*
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

The American Patriot

I've got all of the DL setting books on PDF now, and i can't wait to get to play. :) if anyone wants help with them i'll be more than willing to share and help out.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Idej

Well, here is what I got so far for DL Books.

Dragonlance Campaign Setting
War of the Lance Campaign Setting
Age of Mortals Campaign Setting
Legend of the Twins
Towers of High Sorcery
Knightly Orders of Ansalon
Races of Ansalon
Dragons of Krynn
Bestiary of Krynn
Holy Orders of the Stars

The American Patriot

Those are the ones i've got too!

So we could help anyone build their characters if they need the help!

the only thing is, to get into the prestige classes of the different groups the characters have to start out at 4th or higher levels...

Idej

4th Level wouldn't be a bad starting level or even 5th.  Do you have any of the web enhancements that are available for any of the books?

The American Patriot

i don't think so... what did they put out? and where can i find them?

Jeramiahh

As I stated in the introductory post, this campaign starts at 1st level. I have most of those books, as well as a handful of others; believe me, I'm prepared for this.

The American Patriot

wicked. :)

i'll see what i can work up if accepted for the party.

Idej

Here is where you can find the Web Enhancements at and here is where you can some errata as well.

The American Patriot

Idej

No worries Patriot.:)

I have one question though Jeramiahh.

What will be the rules for character creation?

Jeramiahh

Like I said... I want to wait for a full group and everything before I take the time to write up the background and character creation rules.

Idej

My apoligies, must have missed that part on the introduction.

I am thinking on either being a Phaethon or a Minotaur.