'Alien scene' of tadpoles' feast

Started by Spookie Monster, September 01, 2009, 05:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

'Alien scene' of tadpoles' feast

"Alien-like" scenes of tadpoles feasting on eggs emerging from their mother have been caught on camera.

Be sure to check out the video; it really is amazing!

Spel

Loving the "alien"!
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

StrawberryDream

Does that mean they are eating their siblings?

SleepyWei

Quote from: fearless on September 02, 2009, 02:23:46 AM
Does that mean they are eating their siblings?

Those are probably leftover unfertilized eggs that the tadpoles will consume for nutrients.

The Overlord

Wicked...you can actually see them bloating up transparent with them.

I reiterate my question; if we find life on another world, will we be prepared for its exotic nature?

Nadir

StrawberryDream

Quote from: SleepyWei on September 02, 2009, 12:41:30 PM
Those are probably leftover unfertilized eggs that the tadpoles will consume for nutrients.
Alright thanks that worried me a little

Sel Nar

I don't see what's so 'alien-like' about it. I mean, hell, we do the same to chicken eggs.

Admittedly, the visual spectacle of having a dozen or more limbless wigglers slurping down freshly-laid eggs does squick some people out, especially when said eggs are barely out of the parent's body at that point, but, I still can't see what's so 'alien' about it.

SleepyWei

It might not be alien to you but some people might not have ever seen something even remotely similar to this or think about comparing this to our own consumption of eggs. I've seen stuff like this before as well but it still isn't exactly great to watch the tadpoles bloat up on eggs to the point where I can see it right through their skin.

TevarTahalshia

I spoke with a friend of mine who's a grad student studying amphibians and snakes.  He not only verified that this frog is feeding her babies unfertilized eggs, but pointed out that a frog in Namib lays unfertilized eggs on top of the fertilized ones to help keep them moist.  The fertilized eggs actually skip the tadpole stage, as they don't hatch until they have legs.

American frogs and toads just lay eggs and leave them, no care given.  "In the tropics, things get weird" he says.

Oniya

I think the 'Alien-like' description is less about the fact that the tadpoles are eating frog eggs, and more about the fact that these tentacle-like things are essentially latched onto the female's butt. (Or pretty darn close to it.)  Face it, you don't see that kind of image very often outside of hentai.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Andy

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2009, 10:10:52 PM
I think the 'Alien-like' description is less about the fact that the tadpoles are eating frog eggs, and more about the fact that these tentacle-like things are essentially latched onto the female's butt. (Or pretty darn close to it.)  Face it, you don't see that kind of image very often outside of hentai.

-Gigglefit-
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Jag

My goodness...look at the little buggers go. That can't be comfortable for the mama frog, it almost looks like she is trying to kick them off at some points. >.<
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Spookie Monster

Firstly, to whoever embedded the video: Thanks!  I didn't know that one could embed BBC stuff.

That said... mmm, yeah, StrawberryDream, the tadpoles are indeed eating infertile eggs, according to the article:

"In the case of mountain chickens, we have discovered that the female comes into the nest and starts laying a string of infertile eggs. ...  We thought that the eggs would come out and drop to the bottom of the nest and then the tadpoles would start eating them.  But the footage shows about 40 tadpoles congregating around the female and eating the eggs as they come out of the female's body."

For better or for worse, however, cannibalistic siblicide does occur here and there in the animal kingdom.  Marbled salamanders preferentially eat their siblings, I believe, and the parasitic wasps that we talked about in this thread don't seem too concerned about eating their brothers and sisters.  And I'm sorry to say that as cute as they are many ladybugs eat their siblings, too...

With regard to whether the scene really is "alien"... well, I suppose that that is debatable.  Still, I've got to say that personally I find it fairly weird.  I mean, imagine if Octomom had just given birth... and then the eight newborns scampered up her thighs to devour the emerging placentae.  Well, this froggy situation would still be weirder.  I admit that if Octomom could also shoot laser beams from her eyes then that would be weirder.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

Spel

Believing the strangest things...

Edit: I forgot to add the link to "The Puppet Masters"...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Greenthorn

Kate

"I reiterate my question; if we find life on another world, will we be prepared for its exotic nature?" - The Overlord

Answer ?

No.

Proof ?

On the topic of synergy, what average are we managing so far with the ones we already know on this world ? What average are we managing with slightly different cultures or values of others in our own species?

SleepyWei

Fact of the matter is this:

If we come into general contact with an alien race, we as humans will try to find any possible way to exploit them for our own benefits. Information regarding technology would be the main thing.

Should they decide to make their presence even more known, we will become wary of them because they are different and unknown. That fear will eventually escalate to hatred and mobs will go and riot over them.

So no, I personally don't think humans will be prepared for aliens and their 'exotic nature' for quite some time.

/hijack

Kate

If we find something like plant life - perhaps - cultivating for medicines etc. exploitation ? Definitely !

Would be the highest priority considering a generally capitalism driven world.

Exotic bacteria or Highly advanced races ? - Most likely trouble (for us) with a chance of exceptions I feel.

Debatably advances races have already "discovered" us (alien conspiracies etc), if that is the case I doubt we would have much choice in their actions - we would be an interesting thing to watch, influence or use from their perspective.

Kate

(BTW spiders, frogs and octopus are more cannibalistic than other species)

Talia

Love that video! I find it very interesting. It broadens the mind and really makes you think.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A