News:

Main Menu

Be seeing you!

Started by OwenNo6, January 14, 2009, 10:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OwenNo6

not as in you (members of Elliquiy),  but the man who brought the phrase into pop-culture for those fans of "The Prisoner" (1967)

Patrick McGoohan died yesterday after a short illness, those of you who are not fans of the old TV series probably saw his performance as Edward Longshanks in "Braveheart" (1995)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/14/entertainment/main4722806.shtml

Damn good actor and very interesting individual- and yeah, and inspiration for my username   ;) .
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Let the Priests of the Raven of dawn, no longer in deadly black, with hoarse note curse the sons of joy. Nor his accepted brethren, whom tyrant, he calls free: lay the bound or build the roof. Nor pale religious letchery call that virginity, that wishes but acts not!

For every thing that lives is Holy.

Oniya

I had no idea he was 80.  Seriously, he was one of those people that reached a certain age and just - continued.  The article said he even had two wide-release movies on offer when he died.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

OwenNo6

yeah, they've talked about a movie version of "The Prisoner" for years now, he had even written the screenplay for one a while back, but most studios wouldn't do it because it didn't cater to the mainstream (read: it was wonderfully written and followed the TV series to a T, going to far as to pick up where the old series left off, it seems)
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Let the Priests of the Raven of dawn, no longer in deadly black, with hoarse note curse the sons of joy. Nor his accepted brethren, whom tyrant, he calls free: lay the bound or build the roof. Nor pale religious letchery call that virginity, that wishes but acts not!

The Overlord

Quote from: OwenNo6 on January 15, 2009, 01:03:07 AM
(read: it was wonderfully written and followed the TV series to a T, going to far as to pick up where the old series left off, it seems)

As in, it was intelligent, and wasn't watered down and dumb enough for the masses.

I didn't make the connection and realize he was in Braveheart as well. What a pity.

OwenNo6

He also starred in "Scanners" with Michael Ironside! another cult classic!
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

OwenNo6

I should also mention that we lost another great shortly after.  Ricardo Montalban has also passed- in addition to his fame from Fantasy Island, most of us probably remember him as the Melville quoting Khan in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Haibane

While Patrick McGoohan may not have been a brilliant actor, his co-written series "The Prisoner" is arguably the finest piece of fiction television ever written. Fresh, confusing, addictive, sinister, familiar yet foreign, hallucogenic, a child of the swinging sixties and the cold war and a perfect meld of both those parents, it was a spy story with the biggest twist of them all. Much like one of the finest anime of all time, Neon Genesis Evangelion, it was a story that in the end we found out was being played inside one man's head.

The casting was perfect, the setting was magical, the story was disturbing and became more disturbing as the series went on.

Leaving behind "The Prisoner" is the finest epitaph any actor and writer could wish for. I wasn't even in existence when it was created but I have watched the series twice through on re-runs and a friends DVD collection. I too am a dedicated fan of it, and it's creator. I hope one of the British terrestrial TV channels decides to re-run it now.

Thank you Patrick, rest in peace.

Spookie Monster

Thanks very much for posting this, OwenNo6.  Although I didn't always agree with his opinions, I think that Patrick McGoohan and I were more similar than different; I certainly agree with his straightforward but profound belief that individuals have value.  As a note, I'm also a passionate fan of The Prisoner.

R.I.P., McGoohan.

Oh, and nice mention of Ricardo Montalban, too.  I never learned much about him, but whenever I watched him as Khan I shivered and whenever I watched him as Vincent Ludwig I laughed.  This guy had presence.

R.I.P., Montalban.

Spel

They came to meet us and blew our minds...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

WyldRanger

KHAN!!!.....Ricardo Montalban will be dearly missed.  :'(

Apple of Eris

McGoohan died? *sniffs* I loved 'the prisoner' *pouts*
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

It was excellent.  *nods*  And I only hope the new 'revisitation' of the series stays true to McGoohan's vision.

"I am not a number!  I am a free man!"  Good, good stuff.

And Khan as well... *sigh*
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

I am not a number - I am a random variable!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

OwenNo6

"I am not a number, I am a real integer!"

Yes, with Ian McKellan as the new No. 2, I think it will go over well.  Hopefully it is as well written as McGoohan's
My On and Off list

My other on/off list

Oniya

Of course, Number 2 changed with each episode, so unless Sir Ian is simply the first new Number 2, there's a difference right there.